Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Old link issues...please read (Read 7202 times)
Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Old link issues...please read
May 14th, 2012 at 10:42am
Print Post  
Folks
If you are experiencing some issues with cookies and/or issues with the site asking you to log in each time you come to the forum, and then it telling you that you are already logged in anyway, please reset your saved bookmark to the site. You should update it to point to:

http://villainsandvigilantesforum.com/public_html/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

I have a redirect on for the old link, which will automatically bring people to the new link, but that can cause some of the issues stated above.

That is all.

The webmaster
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2012 at 10:43am by Paul »  

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Re: Old link issues...please read
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2012 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Paul, I have to log in at work each time, and that's cool (since I'm always on a different CPU).

But I have to login each time at home, too, despite doing what you said above.

Any ideas?

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #2 - May 17th, 2012 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
It's strange, it doesn't happen to me at home, but it does happen to me at work.  The only thing I've done here at home (but dont have the access to do at work) is delete all cookies and form data in your browser then reloading the site. It's definitely something in the cookie that is corrupt.

I checked all other settings and I'm not seeing anything that would cause this issue.  I have a feeling since the link was different on the old server the cookies didn't update correctly with the new link on the new server.

Fortunately it's not a widespread problem.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2012 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
**UPDATE**

I found a setting and renamed the cookie all together.  This will autologout a lot of you so apologies and don't freak out.  I am hoping this will fix the problem.

Feel free to report in and let me know.  Thanks.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2012 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
I'm still having to log in, but it's not that big of a deal (since Chrome saves my password, and it's only a couple of extra clicks).

I don't have to do that for other sites, so I think there's still something up.

One other strange thing (since the changeover) is that once I log in it tells me that I'm already logged in (as my name Doug Taylor, not Majestic), but once I click on 'The Villains and Vigilantes Forum' in the upper left everything goes back to normal.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2012 at 12:12am
Print Post  
Same thing happens to me at work still as well, but it fixed the problem for me at home.  Could be from some of the security settings in place on the forum, but I need to keep them on as I am getting about 10 security events a day on average.

Sorry man.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2012 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
No problem at all.  Thanks for all you do for this site!   Cool

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #7 - May 20th, 2012 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
I appreciate the praise.  All John does is yell at me and call me a loser.

Cry

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #8 - May 20th, 2012 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
Seriously, if not for Paul,  this forum would be a stained stack of yellow legal pad papers.

Thanks!

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #9 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Still needing to login in each visit here; I am using Google Chrome. Is there a new fixed link?

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #10 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
It's not a Chrome issue, and I don't know why that happens with some people.  It happens to me at work but not on my home machine. Might have something to do with the new host and coming into the site via a proxy (which work machines and even mobile devices on public networks will do at times).

Sorry.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #11 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Did some digging on this and it seems to be happening on other forums/servers and it's related to the "logging in forever" option.

When you log in from let's say home and choose to keep the login valid "for keeps" or "forever" the cookie will keep you logged in literally forever from that IP address (which works well if you always connect from one IP like at home).  That gets wiped out with a cookie or cache wipe however.

But if you go to a second PC, let's say a work machine, the forum ask you to login again because it sees your ID as already being logged in (from home) so it makes you log in again for security reasons. 

So, if you have one machine connected "for keeps" and you have connected from work, your iphone, your dial up modem, etc., you might run into this problem.

Knowing there is a security reason behind it, I'm personally OK with that!  Apologies for any inconveniences though.

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #12 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 5:57am
Print Post  
That is weird because I don't *think* I have ever logged in except from home where I am having the problem (but then moving house last year may the answer to that conundrum).

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #13 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Or your home ISP gave you a dynamic IP that switches your address every few days.

The forum will keep you logged in "forever" based on the first IP you had when the forum was back up and running (when you first logged into the new forum location). Then when the IP rotates, the forum remembers your first IP, sees you now have a new IP and assumes it's a different location hence asking your for credentials again.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #14 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Hey just want to rehash this as I found the problem and it seems to be browser related.

If you go to the site using the "suggested sites" or "recent sites" ability of the browser, it will bring you to the site but with old credentials.  If you use a true bookmark or better yet start to type the web address in the bar (it should autofill) it will use your cookies correctly.  I am using Chrome and figured this out.  The same holds true for IE 10 but not sure about 9.

This is the way I figure it out:

In Chrome I use tabs so when I want the forum to come up on a tab I click the new tab icon next to an already open tab. That brings me to the "recent sites visited" page, which shows you 10 or so icons of frequently traversed sites.  If you pick the V&V Forum icon there you get the login problem.  By typing the address in the address bar, it keeps my credentials and utilizes the cookie properly.

Hope this helps!

IP Logged

>