Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Danger Room: Training and Inventions (Read 6141 times)
Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

The Danger Room: Training and Inventions
Jun 10th, 2012 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Hey Guys

This thread is to share ideas and discuss each others thoughts on how to improve our characters as they move from level to level or in game situation allows. I know Dom awards Hero Points and while I'm not exctly sure how they are used yet I ber this would be  the place to discuss it.

We're big on prepardness in the military so welcome to Captain Rollin's Bootcamp  Wink

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Re: The Danger Room: Training and Inventions
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 10:31am
Print Post  
On that note, I thought I'd throw out a couple thoughts on Training

These are purely from a game mechanics view point, and are just designed where you might get some bang for your buck. In my opinion, in this as in all things game related, if you don't want to role-play it (at least a little bit) then move to what excites your character  Cool

Machinist: Endurance or Charisma. The way you've role-played the interaction with Agent Woo I'd go with Charisma so as to kill a little of the Mr. Grumpy pants effect Wink

Jack Frost: Your stats are pretty optimized. Strength would help your Power & Flight speed  little and Charisma would hit a new breaking point. My real suggestion would be a skill. A Skill. Maybe a skill that shows becoming familiar with the modern world.

Diesel: For now it's easy Agility. Too many positive effects not to.

Power Chord: Strength, Endurance and agility are all at point a bump woud have great benefits. Agility always having the of the most effect at first.

Stalker: Strength would give you an HP boost not sure on Carry Capacity or training in your Heightened Expertise to boost your accuracy in HTH.

Thunderbolt already made his current training adjustments, but here's a couple ideas for next time. Intelligence (stay in school) and Charisma. I'd say Int for now as you seem to like to focus on skills and it will help your Inventing.

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Interesting... I was planning on getting a skill for next level...long ways away but Int would also be nice.

Also, Shawn West / Thunderbolt is age 21, he is NOT in high-school nor a teenager... his sister is.  Shawn already graduated.  He'd like to go to college.. but its just too expensive.  So he works as a mechanic for a living.  Was working as a mechanic and a amateur Motocross racer, when he gained his powers.

EDIT: OHhhh..!  It just occurred to me ..upping Thunderbolt's Intelligence would give him another skill slot anyways.  15 Int...15 skills..
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2012 at 12:59pm by Thunderbolt »  

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Jun 10th, 2012 at 10:31am:
On that note, I thought I'd throw out a couple thoughts on Training

These are purely from a game mechanics view point, and are just designed where you might get some bang for your buck. In my opinion, in this as in all things game related, if you don't want to role-play it (at least a little bit) then move to what excites your character  Cool

Machinist: Endurance or Charisma. The way you've role-played the interaction with Agent Woo I'd go with Charisma so as to kill a little of the Mr. Grumpy pants effect Wink

Jack Frost: Your stats are pretty optimized. Strength would help your Power & Flight speed  little and Charisma would hit a new breaking point. My real suggestion would be a skill. A Skill. Maybe a skill that shows becoming familiar with the modern world.

Diesel: For now it's easy Agility. Too many positive effects not to.

Power Chord: Strength, Endurance and agility are all at point a bump woud have great benefits. Agility always having the of the most effect at first.

Stalker: Strength would give you an HP boost not sure on Carry Capacity or training in your Heightened Expertise to boost your accuracy in HTH.

Thunderbolt already made his current training adjustments, but here's a couple ideas for next time. Intelligence (stay in school) and Charisma. I'd say Int for now as you seem to like to focus on skills and it will help your Inventing.

Hey, What about Skyhawk? Smiley

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Sorry dude was I was going in order of the character sheet thread and ended up running short of time had to leave early for church.

Skyhawk
Purely from a math perspective Agility gives you an additional +1 on both accuracy and damage. Power Blast is already sinfully accurate and the damage bump is meh. I'd suggest Endurance. I ups your Flight speed a bit and adds what I think are most needed for your character, Hit Points.

As a side note: when you get around to adding a Skill someday, I'd suggest History of the Superhero or something like that to indicate the seriousness with which you take the family Legacy. It's characterful could be useful whenever Dom decided to bring  in Villains with a known history or legacy.

I also think that we might set up some scenarios during downtime to improve aerial combat techniques. Sort of a Superhero Top Gun training program  Wink

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Thunderbolt wrote on Jun 10th, 2012 at 11:17am:
Also, Shawn West / Thunderbolt is age 21, he is NOT in high-school nor a teenager... his sister is.  Shawn already graduated.  He'd like to go to college.. but its just too expensive.  So he works as a mechanic for a living.  Was working as a mechanic and a amateur Motocross racer, when he gained his powers.

Actually Rog, I was thinking Shawn might want to take classes in Mechanical Engineering and Design. Right now he has the skill and knowledge of a garage mechanic.

Definitely cool and more than I'll ever know about my car, but if you want to "Invent" anything to add to your arsenal your character probably will need a stronger science knowledge. I know Dom's been pretty liberal with how you apply Lightning Control, but a background knowledge in Computer Science or Satellitte Communications could go a far way ... maybe.

Really just random thoughts  Smiley

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Jun 10th, 2012 at 5:21pm:
Sorry dude was I was going in order of the character sheet thread and ended up running short of time had to leave early for church.

Skyhawk
Purely from a math perspective Agility gives you an additional +1 on both accuracy and damage. Power Blast is already sinfully accurate and the damage bump is meh. I'd suggest Endurance. I ups your Flight speed a bit and adds what I think are most needed for your character, Hit Points.

As a side note: when you get around to adding a Skill someday, I'd suggest History of the Superhero or something like that to indicate the seriousness with which you take the family Legacy. It's characterful could be useful whenever Dom decided to bring  in Villains with a known history or legacy.

I also think that we might set up some scenarios during downtime to improve aerial combat techniques. Sort of a Superhero Top Gun training program  Wink

Thanks for your insight. I think it helps to have someone give    their perspective on your character. You can get so close that you miss out on good ideas. I like the Top Gun training idea.

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 12:25am
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Jun 10th, 2012 at 5:29pm:
Thunderbolt wrote on Jun 10th, 2012 at 11:17am:

Actually Rog, I was thinking Shawn might want to take classes in Mechanical Engineering and Design. Right now he has the skill and knowledge of a garage mechanic.

Definitely cool and more than I'll ever know about my car, but if you want to "Invent" anything to add to your arsenal your character probably will need a stronger science knowledge. I know Dom's been pretty liberal with how you apply Lightning Control, but a background knowledge in Computer Science or Satellitte Communications could go a far way ... maybe.

Really just random thoughts  Smiley

You are thinking the same way I am on that... Shawn would LOVE to go to school for a mechanical engineering degree with a secondary in electronics and computer technologies!

Hence why I'm wanting TB to pick up a new skill in electronics.  Computers would be next.  But I know how expensive college would be and I'm pretty sure TB could not afford it.  Well... the truth is TB could steal it from criminals.. but he has a moral issue with that.  Yes he has done that in the past to some extent but ... he feels its a slippery slope of 'rationalization' that he does not want to start down.

Lightning Control or as dom has changed the name "Electrical Control" allows one to control machines.. it does not state one has to have any real knowledge of how machines work to do this... but I'd really like TB to be able to actually know what he's doing when he controls electrical devices... which covers computers as well.

It is quite the temptation Shawn has to refuse everyday as he could easily shut off a security camera and just empty ATM's all over Empire city and never have to worry about cash ever again.  Which is why he does not want to get use to using the criminal money he 'recovers' for his own selfish needs or wants... its a slippery slope of rationalizing that his needs are greater than the law or honesty.

I expect he still has a lot of the money he recovers unsure what to do with it and unwilling to just spend it for fear of corrupting his principles. 

Though I do expect random poor or just needy people all over Empire city occasionally find a pack of cash that somehow found its way to them... how 'lucky' for them!

'justice like lightning...'
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2012 at 12:26am by Thunderbolt »  

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #8 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 9:43am
Print Post  
I believe I was working on combat skills for Stalker mainly new gadgets since his utility belt is kit bashed and not payed for with power slots.

Question though. Dom has been real liberal with allowing me to have a partner who is the tech guy for the suit.  Maybe he can train in various skills or RP with the gadget players to help him in his job  will have to ask Dom if we should do a character sheet for him what do you think?

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #9 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 10:00am
Print Post  
I'm betting Dom would say he hasn't been so much been liberal as just utilizing the Perks which is one of your "slots" (Champions much Wink )

In your characters case, Stalker focuses on the training and the NPC (Perk) focuses on the Inventing.

I think you've either taken a game mechanic and come up with a cool storyline, or your storyline was able to be simulated with a Dom'd cool house rule.

Dom has some awesome NPC's I bet he could come up with something cool for Craig.
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2012 at 10:03am by Ranger »  

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #10 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
I had Craig as part of the story-line and have a grasp on how to portray him but think that I should have some more GM input so that I don't feel that I am "cheating" by having 2 characters. For a better idea of Craig. Check out the TV series NCIS: Los Angeles. I patterned him off of their tech guy

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #11 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
It's not a cheat ... it's a story device, a tool for expressing the character. I don't think you should look at it that way but if it bothers you, you can alleviate any feelings of "cheating" by working with Dom. He wouldn't be a standard NPC, seeing as he's a Perk. You just have to be comfortable sharing him with the GM. Wink

I still think your fine "playing" both characters. Craig is a legitimate power "slot" and, within reason, he's as much a part of your character as Jarvis is to Iron Man (movie version) or Bob the Skull is to Harry Dresden (and if you haven't read that series, shame on you all)

Just my two cents  Smiley

« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2012 at 8:13pm by Ranger »  

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #12 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 2:17am
Print Post  
Hey Ranger you keep mentioning "Perks" where is that detailed or is that a house rule?

I know that V&V does not have disadvatages ala hero system... but does its cover like dependant npc's?  In Thunderbolt's case he has his father... {alchoholic abusive father} a definite DNPC and his sister... {power mutant little sister 'wild-child'} who though powerful is more of a complication as she gets into trouble that a ONLY super-powered crimefighting older brother could get her out of! 

But considering her being a super-powered being too, I was uncertain how to deal with her game-wise.  Sure she could have useful abilities... if you want to shatter a skyscrapper or two... or three... but she seemed awful dangerous in that she must be handled with a delicate touch.  Shawn cares about her and she is powerful and thinks she knows best... a real hindrance when she's so young and inexperienced.  As Avatar stated I was not sure how to deal with her as it might be misconstrued as trying to play two characters. 

In Champions she would be at best a 5 point disad as she is competent and has useful and powerful abilities.. but is more likely to get into REALLY BIG trouble because of such abilities. 

Hard to quantify that in the V&V system.  Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2012 at 2:22am by Thunderbolt »  

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #13 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 8:03am
Print Post  
Just call me Captain X, trainer and scholar extraordinaire. Wink

Perks: The character has 1d4+2 Perks, chosen form the list below.

- Ally: The character can call on a powerful ally (the FBI, the military, etc.) for help.
- Advantageous Background:
(A) Wealthy: The character is filthy rich (think Bruce Wayne or Tony Stark rich)
(B) Famous: Adds to the character’s Public Standing
- Contacts: The character has contacts in the business world, underworld, government, etc. that provide him with information.
- Diplomatic Immunity: Because of the character’s status (ambassador, prince, etc.), he’s is immune from criminal prosecution.
- Servant: The character employees a servant
- Security Clearance: The character has access to secret/classified information.

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #14 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Ok.  That's not a power in my V&V book.  Thx!

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #15 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 10:50am
Print Post  
While i think he stays closer to the standard rules than many Dom does have a number of House Rules that all players should make themselves familiar with. Even after initial character generation it's good to know what is out there

I think it's important to know this kind of stuff because (for me at least) the rules give you an understanding of the "physics" of the universe you're gaming in. From there you have the opportunity to develop teamwork and tactics that can have a in game effect.

Loved the early X-Men and Avengers where this kind of thing was showcased. Also a couple decades of tabletop war-gaming tends to guide the way I look at things like this.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #16 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Is there a place where all of these house rules are gathered?

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #17 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 11:38am
Print Post  
They are in the first 4 replies on this threat

http://www.villainsandvigilantesforum.com/public_html/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=...

The skills system is being revised but everything else there is good.

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #18 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Cougar.  I don't know why I'd forgotten all about that thread (as I'd seen it and even posted in it before).  Thanks so much!

Got my character all done (including old-style skills); looking forward to seeing the new Skills system, too.  Smiley

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #19 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
I wish there was more room on the character sheet for the 'crunchy' game mechanics details of our powers.  I'm a ...fan of concrete facts {range, damage, PR cost, action cost...etc...}.

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #20 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Jun 12th, 2012 at 8:11pm:
as Jarvis is to Iron Man (movie version)

That is how I view Skyhawk and Achilles. Smiley

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #21 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jun 14th, 2012 at 1:57pm:
Got my character all done

How about a preview of your character? Smiley

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #22 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
Hawk wrote on Jun 22nd, 2012 at 3:23pm:

That would sem to be an appropriate comparison. Except in my opinion Achilles seems to be more like a pet/companion/sidekick. It all depends on how Dom likes running that kind of thing.  I love his home brew rule of Perks, but I'd make sure a pet/companion/sidekick was more useful on a regular basis than any single Perk. Perks seem to me great ways to create flavor and as a "support" resource for a character. The Pet is a battle companion who fights at your side - or can be at least.

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #23 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
I guess I didn't explain it well. I was talking more about personality. That helpful disposition that Jarvis has. I had one of my first V&V characters had the animated servant, that I modelled after Monarch Starstalkers remote neurosystem the pseudo-falcon Ullysses. I liked the idea, so I utillized it for Skyhawk.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #24 - Jun 23rd, 2012 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
So I'm curious. Does Achilles have a sentient AI personality ?  I'd say Jarvis does and I don't have a reference for Ulysses, but I think I'll look him up if possible on wiki  Cool

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #25 - Jun 23rd, 2012 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
I would say that he does, or that is how I view him, and Dom hasn't said no yet.
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2012 at 7:07pm by Hawk »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #26 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Hawk wrote on Jun 22nd, 2012 at 3:23pm:

Let me check with Dom, as I might want to surprise you with some things.  Smiley

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #27 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Sounds cool. Smiley

IP Logged

>