Normal Topic Willpower (Read 904 times)
Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Willpower
Jun 15th, 2012 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
For one of the characters in "Signs of the Zodiac", the writer explained (under Combat Tactics/M.O.) "Pisces begins by activating her Willpower defense".

Has anybody else interpreted this defense as working that way (like the other defenses that you have to activate)?  We've always viewed/interpreted this one as a defense that works a little differently (it's "on" when a character uses it appropriately).

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Willpower
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Yes,  to my way of thinking, its a relfex, meaning you can use it at will, even if its not your turn.  But you still have to activate it, as it cost one power per turn to use.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
id allow a detect danger roll to activate it if surprised. also, if the character is getting cocky (ie leisurely beating down a pack of thugs while smirking) something sudden & unexpected may catch him off guard (like sudden psionic blast or mind control)

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
would you have to shell out the 2 PR if it isnt your turn?

IP Logged

Heston
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jun 15th, 2012 at 3:19pm:
"Pisces begins by activating her Willpower defense".

Sounds "fishy" to me.  Smiley

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
LOL, Heston!   Grin

I've never viewed Willpower as something one "activated", because to me each of the defenses that activate spell out that specific word ("activate") out in their description.  So when my character Compass starts to enter the villain's lair, he will specifically choose to "activate" his Magnetic defense (and I tell the GM ahead of time, or it isn't considered "up" and ready).  We've never had a character about to enter a spooky cave "activate" their Willpower.

For Willpower, it's more of a character making a choice (there and then, when needing it), at least the way I've always viewed it.

Here's how we play the power now, based on whether the character knows about the attack or not (my players came up with this as a compromise):

Willpower: (p. 21)
Type (A): If the character is surprised by an attack, then they may not use Willpower as a defense; however, the damage scored by such a hit is halved when calculating their chance for unconsciousness.
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2012 at 10:32pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #6 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
  Agent Omega has this power and I have not gotten very deep with it yet. Basically the defense portion of course. He has also used the body control to increase his pupil size in normal light for possible better detection skills. He normally shuts down those pesky Emotions of his while on a mission. No sense letting those get in the way.

Next I will probably have him increase his body's production of Adreneline for a short period and see if it has any effect. I have some playing around to do with this power.

IP Logged

>