Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Mercenaries (Read 10743 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Mercenaries
Aug 7th, 2012 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Okay, you know I've got questions.

1) There are several names mentioned on the cover (Baal, Burnmaster, Bison, Capt. Daring, Black Condor), as well as in the text (the villain Wild Rose, the hero team The Aegis), will they eventually making an appearance in print?

2) And will we get to see some stats on Jaywalker?

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Re: Mercenaries
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
I can speak for Baal, Burnmaster, Bison and Black Condor and Capt. Daring:

Names I put up for the cover that may or may not appear in print. I do have concept and stats for Black Condor as an 'Omega File' write-up... so many plans and plans within plans.
Burnmaster is a player I gamed with; no plans to bring to print yet..
Baal, Bison, and Capt. Daring are concept only, but may turn into Freebies or find a home.
Plate is full right now though, so I'm not sure.
Anyone else not covered in this answer is the province of the writer.

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Heston
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Aug 7th, 2012 at 10:20pm:

Names I put up for the cover that may or may not appear in print. I do have concept and stats for Black Condor as an 'Omega File' write-up... so many plans and plans within plans.
Baal, Bison, and Capt. Daring are concept only, but may turn into Freebies or find a home.

If the names are on the cover you have to put them inside. Otherwise it is false advertising. It's like putting fake ingredients on a package.

IP Logged

Heston
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
I'm switching over to playing Mutants and Masterminds if I hear that Mercenaries has names on the cover that aren't inside the book!

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #4 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
What it is,  is to simulate that the 'website' that is potrayed on the cover has more mercenaries than just the ones in the book....

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #5 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Aug 7th, 2012 at 10:20pm:

Thanks AK.

YIM  
IP Logged

Heston
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Aug 7th, 2012 at 10:36pm:
What it is,  is to simulate that the 'website' that is potrayed on the cover has more mercenaries than just the ones in the book....

That sounds like a backward idea to me, no offense. Mutants and Masterminds doesn't pull that. How about simulating the real villains in the real product instead of villains on an imaginary website. You have till tomorrow to fix the cover to show REAL names of people inside or else I'm taking my money elsewhere.
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2012 at 10:45pm by Heston »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #7 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Heston wrote on Aug 7th, 2012 at 10:43pm:
That sounds like a backward idea to me, no offense. Mutants and Masterminds doesn't pull that. How about simulating the real villains in the real product instead of villains on an imaginary website. You have till tomorrow to fix the cover to show REAL names of people inside or else I'm taking my money elsewhere.

Umm...Okay, not sure where you're going with this, but isn't that a bit of an extreme reaction?

YIM  
IP Logged

Heston
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #8 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Aug 7th, 2012 at 11:00pm:

Umm...Okay, not sure where you're going with this, but isn't that a bit of an extreme reaction?

What do you have against Mutants and Masterminds?  Smiley

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #9 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
Heston wrote on Aug 7th, 2012 at 11:09pm:
What do you have against Mutants and Masterminds?  Smiley

Absolutely nothing, as 1st edition M&M is the game that got me back into gaming, way back in early 03. I own a whole slew of M&M materials, and have done playtesting for a number of 3rd party Superlink products, and have been asked to help with conversions of stuff to 3rd edition, as well as playtest some new material.

I'm just wondering why you would say that if he doesn't change the cover, you're dropping V&V, and going to go to M&M. No offense intended, but to me that just seems a bit over the top. I think AK was pretty clear in his explanation, and the back cover lists all of the characters that actually appear in the book.

YIM  
IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #10 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 11:43pm
Print Post  

Grin

Uh- wait.  Were you serious?   Shocked  We're going to hold you to it!
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2012 at 11:43pm by Display Name »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #11 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 12:10am
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Aug 7th, 2012 at 11:43pm:
Uh- wait.  Were you serious?   Shocked  We're going to hold you to it!

I'm not, as I really don't want to see any more players jump ship.

YIM  
IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #12 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 12:33am
Print Post  

Are you serious? So, say if you're reading a Marvel comic and the cover illo shows Dr. Doom's tally book of heroes on his hit list and some heroes are on that list that don't appear in that issue, you don't buy the story? Really?
On the cover of Mercenaries, the art is trying to simulate a website database for a major supermercenray referral agency... you think that agency would only have 30 guys in total around the world?
And since the author hasn't written a sequel and thus has not yet created the necessary names to populate that proportion of the fiction, isn't it a little extreme of you to assume the cover is equal to the table of contents of the real product?
And lastly, what makes you think a M&M writer wouldn't do that with the same idea in mind or that a M&M editor wouldn't look at that writer and say, "Hey that's not a bad idea..."?
I didn't say you'll never see the characters, but I think you're being a bit over the top with your suggestion. I'd hate for you to make a decision based on this criteria... Sad
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2012 at 12:37am by AlabasterKnight »  

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #13 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 1:42am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Aug 7th, 2012 at 9:53pm:
Okay, you know I've got questions.

1) There are several names mentioned on the cover (Baal, Burnmaster, Bison, Capt. Daring, Black Condor), as well as in the text (the villain Wild Rose, the hero team The Aegis), will they eventually making an appearance in print?

2) And will we get to see some stats on Jaywalker?

Hello... this is my first post on the forum, so please bear with me as I muddle through.

1) AK already answered some of this, but yes. I wouldn't reference a character or team that I had no desire to see in print. I have plans for Wild Rose, The Aegis, Jaywalker, MHR, and other new characters referenced in Mercenaries... and the same goes for Signs of the Zodiac, where I reference new characters.
2) Jaywalker and the MHR were originally intended to be in Mercenaries... but then I removed them for space and reasons of theme. Jaywalker and her crew represented another 6 characters, and I decided that in the purest sense they aren't Mercenaries. If you look at the post about Jaywalker you can see she thinks of herself as a CEO, and that to me is a completely different kind of animal from a Merc. 

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #14 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 1:55am
Print Post  
Darren, first off, thanks for taking the time to stop in and answer my questions, it's much appreciated. I look forward to seeing whatever you come up with in the future, as I'm enjoying what you've written so far.

YIM  
IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #15 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 2:05am
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Aug 8th, 2012 at 12:33am:

Are you serious? So, say if you're reading a Marvel comic and the cover illo shows Dr. Doom's tally book of heroes on his hit list and some heroes are on that list that don't appear in that issue, you don't buy the story? Really?
On the cover of Mercenaries, the art is trying to simulate a website database for a major supermercenray referral agency... you think that agency would only have 30 guys in total around the world?
And since the author hasn't written a sequel and thus has not yet created the necessary names to populate that proportion of the fiction, isn't it a little extreme of you to assume the cover is equal to the table of contents of the real product?
And lastly, what makes you think a M&M writer wouldn't do that with the same idea in mind or that a M&M editor wouldn't look at that writer and say, "Hey that's not a bad idea..."?
I didn't say you'll never see the characters, but I think you're being a bit over the top with your suggestion. I'd hate for you to make a decision based on this criteria... Sad

Hey folks. It's the author again.
If there is enough interest in a Mercenaries II, I would happily make new characters based on some of the names that AK put on the cover. Honest. In fact, I already asked if I could get dibs on them... Wink
Now... is seeing those names without stats false advertising? Did AK do anything wrong?

My response is this: On page four of Death Duel with the Destroyers, there is a reference to Doctor Apocalypse. In fact, he threatens the entire Eastern United States... but there is NO Dr. Porky Lips in that module. Were you pissed off when you bought that one... that some guy named Willingham teased you with an archvillain and then didn't give you any stats for him? Now, I know maybe you didn't buy V&V back in 1982... so now, in the fullness of time... you see Death Duel/Island of Dr. A. together, and the two modules make sense and you don't feel cheated. But that's because you're seeing the big picture with that piece of work. When you step back and look at my work, I hope you'll appreciate those times when I foreshadow things that have yet to arrive in print, and that I'm considering your campaign and how it will integrate with other V&V books that I didn't write. I think you'll be pleased with what I'm trying to accomplish. And AK's art work helps me do that.

Ramble / Tenor

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #16 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 2:13am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Aug 8th, 2012 at 1:55am:
Darren, first off, thanks for taking the time to stop in and answer my questions, it's much appreciated. I look forward to seeing whatever you come up with in the future, as I'm enjoying what you've written so far.

I'm glad you said that... because I have plans for quite a few more books in the near future. In fact, I think we'll have the opportunity to go to places we've never been before. Both as campaign supplements, stand alone adventures, and whole new campaign settings.

Ramble

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #17 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 2:47am
Print Post  
I'll toss my vote into the ring for Mercenaries II.

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #18 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 5:46am
Print Post  
Good to see you posting here, Darren.  I also have liked what I've seen, and look forward to more goodness from you in the future!  Smiley

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #19 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Hey, Darren!  I have your Mercs book and can't wait for the second!  And for the "5 in the works" you mentioned in another thread!  And for more if you get the chance!

Can you sign my pdf?   Cheesy

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #20 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Ramble wrote on Aug 8th, 2012 at 2:05am:
Hey folks. It's the author again.
If there is enough interest in a Mercenaries II, I would happily make new characters based on some of the names that AK put on the cover.
When you step back and look at my work, I hope you'll appreciate those times when I foreshadow things that have yet to arrive in print, and that I'm considering your campaign and how it will integrate with other V&V books that I didn't write. I think you'll be pleased with what I'm trying to accomplish. And AK's art work helps me do that.

Ramble / Tenor

Anything you need.  Smiley

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #21 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Okay, here's a question. For those of you who've read Mercenaries, who are your favorite characters, and why? For me, I really like White Knight, Auger, and Ronin (namely because I like armored characters), I also like the Rangers, as I've got a soft spot for government sponsored super teams.

YIM  
IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

Reply #22 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
I just got this off RPGNow, and I have a question for AK about the art: Did you do something different? For some reason, the art looks a little lighter/faded to me, and I was curious if that was done on purpose? The images don't look as crisp as other releases I've gotten.

Other than that, I like. It's a nice mix of characters, both good, evil and neutral, which makes for an interesting selection.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #23 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 1:11am
Print Post  
Gerry wrote on Aug 21st, 2012 at 10:36pm:
I just got this off RPGNow, and I have a question for AK about the art: Did you do something different? For some reason, the art looks a little lighter/faded to me, and I was curious if that was done on purpose? The images don't look as crisp as other releases I've gotten.

No, but that makes me curious... (opening PDF ... studying...)

I didn't see it looked light or anything?
Sad

IP Logged

Illerejug
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #24 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 1:58am
Print Post  
I glanced at the pdf preview from rpgnow, and I see the lightness Gerry refers to. It appears lighter/faded because there are comparatively few _true_ black pixels in the artwork. This is most easily seen on the thinner lines (like Hurtsickle's boots), where the anti-aliasing turned many of the edge pixels into a shade of gray instead of black.

The problem appears to be caused by:
1) the source image being only about 150 dpi, so to begin with there are some pretty large gray pixels, and
2) a secondary ~600 dpi anti-aliasing (or maybe a gaussian blur?) done after the initial scan, which further increases the number of small gray pixels.
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2012 at 1:59am by Illerejug »  

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #25 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 2:17am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Aug 21st, 2012 at 10:04pm:
Okay, here's a question. For those of you who've read Mercenaries, who are your favorite characters, and why? For me, I really like White Knight, Auger, and Ronin (namely because I like armored characters), I also like the Rangers, as I've got a soft spot for government sponsored super teams.

Well, I'm obviously biased, because I like them all. Now that that's over with...

1) White Knight was designed to be a blue collar super... and works best in a fairly gritty campaign where a lack of $$$ is a real issue. His origin and issues feel quite real to me.

2) Auger is the solution to all those characters with an Intelligence of 10 with super devices. How did you get it? How do you maintain it? Answer: I saw an ad, paid some $$$ and got the device along with a manual, some repair tools, and a 1-800 number for tech support. I admit it's doesn't have the glamour of building from scratch in your bedroom as a teenager genius scientist... but not all heroes (or villains) end up with that skill/mindset.

3) Ronin - He's just fun.

As an author I was stunned that many of these names were not taken already by other authors (Ronin, White Knight, Silencer, Spartan, etc.). So was Mr. Bizar... and this led to the formation of the V&V master name list so that authors can see the current names with a glance.

Ramble

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #26 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 2:25am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Aug 21st, 2012 at 10:04pm:

Opps... I forgot about the Rangers.
The Rangers were a group of government run paranormals in my last V&V campaign. They appear almost exactly as they did then, except they became UN instead of Canadian, and Auto-da-fe was Scout. I also gave Spartan a major tech upgrade in this book because I wanted to do a better job on his bionics.

The players (Terminal, Boostergirl, Necron, and 3 other PCs who I've had a falling out with who shall go nameless) played a series of War Games with the Rangers for the purpose of live fire combat practice. It was good combat and RP, with the players winning 2 of the 3 challenges.

Ramble

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #27 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 2:27am
Print Post  
Illerejug wrote on Aug 22nd, 2012 at 1:58am:
I glanced at the pdf preview from rpgnow, and I see the lightness Gerry refers to. It appears lighter/faded because there are comparatively few _true_ black pixels in the artwork. This is most easily seen on the thinner lines (like Hurtsickle's boots), where the anti-aliasing turned many of the edge pixels into a shade of gray instead of black.

1) the source image being only about 150 dpi, so to begin with there are some pretty large gray pixels, and
2) a secondary ~600 dpi anti-aliasing (or maybe a gaussian blur?) done after the initial scan, which further increases the number of small gray pixels.

Dude... you're brain is massive!
Pixel-icilious!
Cheesy

Ramble

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #28 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 2:32am
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Aug 8th, 2012 at 8:55am:
Hey, Darren!  I have your Mercs book and can't wait for the second!  And for the "5 in the works" you mentioned in another thread!  And for more if you get the chance!

Can you sign my pdf?   Cheesy

(No, I don't think I can!)
Wink

Ramble

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #29 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Illerejug wrote on Aug 22nd, 2012 at 1:58am:

The source images were pen & ink scanned at 300 dpi. and then reduced in scale by about 5%. Whatever else is seen is in the manufacture of the PDF.
No problems there Smiley Wink

IP Logged

Illerejug
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #30 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
How did you do the 5% scale reduction? A separate tool like Photoshop? Or did you change the physical size in your page layout software? Something else?

_Something_ appears to be different in the graphics processing for Mercenaries, as opposed to something like Great Bridge, where the interior art is really sharp. What might account for the difference in the end result between those two products?

Here's what Great Bridge (first) and Mercenaries (second) looks like when zoomed in at 400%. Check out how much crisper the Great Bridge art is:

VVGreatBridgeSample by Guy Fullerton, on Flickr

VVMercenariesSample by Guy Fullerton, on Flickr

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #31 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
The first pic was probably initially scanned at 600+
just a guess. And you have the zoom set on 400%?
I don't produce any art with the intention of someone zooming in to 400%... The human eye doesn't need to zoom in to 400% does it? I mean I could go back and scann all the pieces at 1200 DPI so they could survive the 400% test.

But... I do not want to embed imagery to be reproduced without permission either, and putting ultra high res art in the product might lead to that sort of 'piracy'. There a reason stock illustrations cost so much.  Sad

Not trying to be snarky, but I think people are setting an expectation a bit high here.
EDIT: BHardison might also be drawing his figures really big as originals
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2012 at 2:28pm by AlabasterKnight »  

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #32 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Hi!  I have a question if it hasn't already been answered.  What's the difference between Hired Muscle & Special Operatives/Experts?

I don't really see a difference in level or carrying capacity between each group.  You have strong characters in both groups and low level characters in both groups.

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #33 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 1:11am
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Aug 22nd, 2012 at 7:40pm:
Hi!  I have a question if it hasn't already been answered.  What's the difference between Hired Muscle & Special Operatives/Experts?

I don't really see a difference in level or carrying capacity between each group.  You have strong characters in both groups and low level characters in both groups.

That's a question for me...

Hired Muscle was meant to imply someone who you've got hanging around for their muscles (COMBAT) abilities. If you look at Troll , Hurtsickle, Silencer, Ronin, White Knight, etc. you'll notice that they all have a very distinct combat bent to them.

Specialists are not probably going to be hired for their combat skills. You'd hire Auger because you needed a device, Weaver because you want a super costume, Crash because you need a pilot who's not afraid of anything, Express because you need to send some information (memories) to a friend, Hound because you want to catch someone, and Rad because no radioactive place is too hot for him. Specialists not only have something else going for them, they want work that caters to that specialty.

And none of the folks in Hired Muscle or Specialists are teams... those are just rough groups of individual operatives.

Make sense?

Ramble

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #34 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 1:30am
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Aug 22nd, 2012 at 1:45pm:
The first pic was probably initially scanned at 600+
just a guess. And you have the zoom set on 400%?
I don't produce any art with the intention of someone zooming in to 400%... The human eye doesn't need to zoom in to 400% does it? I mean I could go back and scann all the pieces at 1200 DPI so they could survive the 400% test.

But... I do not want to embed imagery to be reproduced without permission either, and putting ultra high res art in the product might lead to that sort of 'piracy'. There a reason stock illustrations cost so much.  Sad

Not trying to be snarky, but I think people are setting an expectation a bit high here.

AK, I don't think Illerejug was enlarging to 400% for any other reason than to show the difference (the "gray-ness") that Gerry originally mentioned.

IP Logged

Illerejug
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #35 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 1:51am
Print Post  
Majestic has it right. 400% was just to more clearly show why our eyes perceive the Mercenaries art as gray, faded or blurry.

Alabaster, you're right that the Great Bridge example is much higher resolution. It's roughly 1200 dpi in fact.

I re-counted the pixels in the Mercenaries example, and it's definitely 150 dpi as a base.

Just to make sure I wasn't going crazy, I also counted the pixels in the art from some other gaming pdfs I have handy (recent old school D&D products), and they were 300 dpi. (I can post them if you're interested.) Seems like most publishers go with ~300 dpi images in pdfs and don't worry about image theft.

I don't visually perceive a problem at normal size with those 300 dpi images, but I do perceive a problem with the 150 dpi Mercenaries example.

I'd love to see the original scan for the Hurtsickle. Either there was a glitch that caused it to get scanned at 150 dpi (instead of the intended 300 dpi), or some other part of the layout process or pdf generation process caused it to get downsampled. I suspect the pdf generation step wasn't at fault; the pdf generation/export step probably did that additional 600+ dpi antialiasing pass on the image (based on whatever "image quality" option you chose when doing the export, assuming your software gives you that option).

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #36 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 10:30am
Print Post  
The original scan is at 300 dpi...

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

Reply #37 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 10:51am
Print Post  

Most rpg publishers put high res art in their pdf files. Look at any of the 40K releases from FFG, Pathfinder books, even stuff for Mutants & Masterminds. People expect a certain level of quality for their money; not giving it to them is a good way to lose sales

I buy stock art on rpgnow all the time, and I don't see it being over priced. I also don't get the piracy comment. So you'd rather short change a paying customer on the off chance of stopping someone from extracting your art? That's kind of ass backwards.

I simply was asking why the art looked lower resolution compared to other releases. The resolution of the art in my copy of Sands of Time is much better than this one. It's possible that the file didn't upload properly, which is why it's an issue. Since no one who bought it direct from FGU brought this up, it seems that the version on Drivethru/RPGNow.

I buy V&V books to support the game, not because I need/use them. So yeah, I have certain expectations about product quality. As a consumer, I think I'm entitled to some. I can only spend so much on game material, so if I find the quality lacking, I spend my money elsewhere.

To get back on topic: Other than my issues with the art in my copy, I like the book. You did a good job Ramble showcasing a nice mix of characters on both sides of the fence (and those sitting on top of it).

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #38 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Gerry wrote on Aug 23rd, 2012 at 10:51am:

Most rpg publishers put high res art in their pdf files. Look at any of the 40K releases from FFG, Pathfinder books, even stuff for Mutants & Masterminds. People expect a certain level of quality for their money; not giving it to them is a good way to lose sales

I buy stock art on rpgnow all the time, and I don't see it being over priced. I also don't get the piracy comment. So you'd rather short change a paying customer on the off chance of stopping someone from extracting your art? That's kind of ass backwards.

I simply was asking why the art looked lower resolution compared to other releases. The resolution of the art in my copy of Sands of Time is much better than this one. It's possible that the file didn't upload properly, which is why it's an issue. Since no one who bought it direct from FGU brought this up, it seems that the version on Drivethru/RPGNow.

I buy V&V books to support the game, not because I need/use them. So yeah, I have certain expectations about product quality. As a consumer, I think I'm entitled to some. I can only spend so much on game material, so if I find the quality lacking, I spend my money elsewhere.

To get back on topic: Other than my issues with the art in my copy, I like the book. You did a good job Ramble showcasing a nice mix of characters on both sides of the fence (and those sitting on top of it).

You are entitled to quality. As a consumer, if you don't enjoy the artwork because of a resolution threshold, I can take you issue to heart and do my best to correct that given the tools I have at my disposal.
I haven't had the ability to upgrade (at all, really) by asking for more expense. In fact, much of what I do is pro bono and sacrifices family time.
New equipment that I am looking into would mean more speed and efficient machines to work at higher resolutions without losing time in production.
Currently, I'm not sure about the back end PDF production at the RPG outlets, it could be in my PDF settings in Acrobat. I'll doublecheck to get us (you) some better attention to this detail.

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #39 - Aug 24th, 2012 at 1:36am
Print Post  
Gerry wrote on Aug 23rd, 2012 at 10:51am:

I'm glad the issue came up... honestly I'm a technopeasant about pixel and dpi stuff, so I appreciate it when people who do understand such things bring up the topic - for every person who mentions a problem, there are 5 who don't or won't.

I'm glad you like the book. It's designed to give the good guys and bad guys a leg up, as required. And I like the fact that it's potentially even something a player could utilize. There aren't enough V&V tools for players.

Keep your stick on the ice!

Ramble
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2016 at 12:07am by Ramble »  

IP Logged

Illerejug
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #40 - Aug 24th, 2012 at 1:53am
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Aug 23rd, 2012 at 1:53pm:
I'll doublecheck to get us (you) some better attention to this detail.

Thanks! I really appreciate the extra effort!

Like I mentioned over email, I've been itching to buy something V&V lately, so I'm going to head on over to rpgnow right now and pick up one of the pdfs! Cheesy

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #41 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 12:31am
Print Post  
I asked this quite a few years ago, but... I'll ask it again:

How much interest is there in a MERCENARIES II?

RAMBLE

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #42 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 1:18am
Print Post  
I'd like to see it.

YIM  
IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #43 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Yay!  When is it coming out?

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #44 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 12:12am
Print Post  
Mercenaries II if it did get made... would include statistics for Jaywalker, and her MHR crew. And maybe a few folks from that first cover - discussing that with Alabaster Knight.

What would YOU, my dear reader, like to see?

RAMBLE

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #45 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 12:46am
Print Post  
Ramble wrote on Feb 15th, 2016 at 12:12am:
Mercenaries II if it did get made... would include statistics for Jaywalker, and her MHR crew. And maybe a few folks from that first cover - discussing that with Alabaster Knight.

What would YOU, my dear reader, like to see?

RAMBLE

A good mix of American and "international" characters, as well as some of the characters mentioned on the first cover.

YIM  
IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #46 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 1:05am
Print Post  
Fun! You know I was thinking of doing a Villains International Book... but maybe we should put a few into Mercenaries II instead?

Any other suggestions?

RAMBLE

IP Logged

>