Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Teen Heroes (Read 8445 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Teen Heroes
Sep 28th, 2012 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
For some reason, the past few days I've had the idea of teen heroes rattling around inside my head, and it's got me wondering. What, if any, teen heroes do you have in your games? I'm also thinking about just whipping up a few random heroes (and villains), and posting them.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Re: Teen Heroes
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2012 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Depends on how "real" you like to get, playing teenagers can present a whole interesting set of life issues for an adult player to consider.  Undecided

Wink

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2012 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Sep 28th, 2012 at 4:03pm:
Depends on how "real" you like to get, playing teenagers can present a whole interesting set of life issues for an adult player to consider.  Undecided

Wink

I'm thinking four color comic book teen reality. Something along the lines of New Teen Titans, New Mutants, Young Avengers, Young Justice, etc.
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2018 at 5:08pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2012 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
I'm feeling the flavor.

Playing a teenager in a Champions campaign right now. Very much Young Avengers/Justice in tone - it's been eye opening.

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2012 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Sep 28th, 2012 at 4:25pm:
I'm feeling the flavor.

Playing a teenager in a Champions campaign right now. Very much Young Avengers/Justice in tone - it's been eye opening.

If this is with the group I think it is Wink (Catherine&Scotty) they run teen games quite often. You could say it is their specialty  Good group

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Oct 2nd, 2012 at 2:26am
Print Post  
I've got a campaign where 80% of the supers are teenagers (they all got their powers from the same incident). The adult's with powers are monstrous because their bodies can't handle the stress of the "empowerment", or they have no powers and are just skilled/device supers.

Fun concept.

Ramble

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #6 - Oct 2nd, 2012 at 3:18am
Print Post  
Ramble wrote on Oct 2nd, 2012 at 2:26am:
I've got a campaign where 80% of the supers are teenagers (they all got their powers from the same incident). The adult's with powers are monstrous because their bodies can't handle the stress of the "empowerment", or they have no powers and are just skilled/device supers.

Fun concept.

Ramble

Sounds interesting. How long has it been running?

YIM  
IP Logged

JByrne_Xman_fan
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #7 - May 24th, 2013 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
     I've started a campaign for my 2 nephews (ages 13&12) and one of their school pals (13).  As they are all new to RPIng I went with the character build idea rather then the random rolling--wanted hook them into RPing.  After discussing concepts this is what we have-also they decided to play themselves.
     Oldest nephew wanted a speedster (he's a big Flash fan).  So lots of Htd. Speed and Agility.  Static energy from his movement generates Lightning Control powers.  He has Special Weapon: Gauntlets.  They give him Nat. Weaponry, channel his LC into a taser effect (no damage but target must save vs. End on d100 or knocked out) and give a slight boost to Str.
     Next my younger nephew wanted to play a telepath.  So he's got an astral projecting TP with psionic Mind Blast and Devitilization Ray.  Good Htd. Int. and some minor physical buffs round him out.
     Last but not least their pal--the brick.  Originally he wanted a crosses between Superman and Green Lantern.  Cheesy. After talking him down from the ledge we came up with a quasi-Colosus type.  He's got Transformation into an organic Diamond armored body form (he transforms from his teen body into a 6'2" tall 220# which will get bigger as he grows into his regular adult size) with lots Str. ( Htd. Str. B x 2), buffed Agil. & End.  Round it all off with some Power Blast eyes.
     So there you have the still to be named team consisting of Speedy ( his name not mine), Pyson and Carbonada ( a form of diamond used for industrial purposes-looked that one up- it was that or Diamondhead his choice).  The game is set in Berkeley/Bay area of CA.
     More to come later.    Cool

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #8 - May 24th, 2013 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Great stuff, and it sounds like a lot of fun.  Let us know how it plays out!  Smiley

IP Logged

JByrne_Xman_fan
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #9 - May 24th, 2013 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
     Weaknesses:  Speedy-Ice powers/cold; they cause extra damage and slow him down by eating movement.
Pyson has a ring (family heirloom) that is his psionic focus-special requirement.
Carbonada has issues with Sonic powers; extra damage and adamantium weapons.
     I also worked in hooks via NPCs in their backgrounds. As a young child Speedy contracted an unknown but potentially deadly disease.  As a last resort his family turned to a company offering expiremental  gene therapy.  It worked but the family didn't read the small print of the contract.  When the company came to collect their subject the family fled going Underground. Speedy when first discovering his powers saved a schoolmate from a gang of bullies.  Nicknamed Gizmo (he has Htd. Int. and some computer related abilities) he helped Speedy design and build the Gauntlets.  Gizmo was kidnapped by parties yet unknown but his home built security network captured some clues that were sent to Speedy as back up.
     Psyon's uncle Adam saw the latent psionic potential in his nephew as there was usually at least one in each generation of the family.  (I should note that my nephews though playing themselves are not brothers or related in this game, there at that stage in real life Smiley).  So Uncle Adam started teaching the young Psyon the psionic arts.  To the rest of the family Adam is bit of a rogue ala Indiana Jones.  Adam was once a CHESS agent who moved to the private sector (for real or as a undercover I haven't decided yet) and has recently gone missing.  Adam also has a connection to one of the villains in the first group encounter but neither Pyson nor Lasombra(the villain) are as yet aware of any connection. 
     Carbonada's background:  As a curious and science minded young boy jumped on a chance to tour a high tech scientific manufacturing company.  While watching a demonstration involving industrial diamonds there was a tragic accident resulting in the deaths of many of his schoolmates and the seemingly horrible maiming of Carbonada which left him with diamonds embedded in his spinal column. He has very few memories of the long painful months of healing and rehab-mostly a terror filled recurring nightmare involving a strange doctor with a german accent.  When first exploring his powers Carbonada came across violent robbery as a local street gang set upon a defenseless cabbie who had the misfortune to have to little cash to satisfy the gang.  After dispatching the gang Carbonada not yet having exacting control of his transformation shifted back as the adrenalin dropped.  For saving his life the cabbie swore his undying friendship and to keep the secret ID safe.  Overtime the friendship has grown--Carbonada can call on the cabbie for free rides and has made a friend of the cabbies son (he doesn't know the secret) who is a grad student at UC Berkeley Chemistry program granting Carbonada access to the labs.

More to come.    Cool

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #10 - May 25th, 2013 at 12:56am
Print Post  
Is it Pyson or Psyon? If Pyson, where'd he come up with it and what does it mean? (If it's Psyon I assume it's related to "psionic.")

Carbonada is a pretty cool name. Never heard of that before.

And what's wrong with Speedy? Worked for Roy Harper for 40+ years.

IP Logged

JByrne_Xman_fan
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - May 25th, 2013 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
     Whoops--should be Psyon.  Correct re: the connection to psonics, just swapped out the I for a Y. 
     Did a little research into diamonds made a small list for him to choose from.
     Nothing wrong with Speedy per se just sounds a bit...generic to me.    Cool

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #12 - May 25th, 2013 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
I hope you will keep us apprised of the adventures of Psyon, Speedy, and Carbonada. Maybe you can start a cool thread like Majestic has for his group's exploits. I always find it interesting and inspiring...always ideas to steal or alter to suit tastes!

IP Logged

JByrne_Xman_fan
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #13 - May 25th, 2013 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
     Thanks Matt I'll be working on that.  Hopefully if all goes as planned tomorrow will be our 4th issue.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #14 - May 26th, 2013 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Awesome stuff.  I too love reading about and hearing of others' exciting adventures! Smiley

IP Logged

JByrne_Xman_fan
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #15 - May 26th, 2013 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
  Issue #1/Part 1: Beginnings of Speedy, Psyon & Carbonada!

The players decide they don't know each other except in passing at Berkeley Jr. High.  They each start learning the ropes on SuperHeroing by tackling street crimes and a bank robbery.  For some of there adventures they are given information via mobile or computer by a mysterious character named Delphi. 
     The Bay area is shaken by news of the escape from the CHESS run supers prison on the Rock of Sammy 'Snake Dancer' Toledo.  (I'll work on getting a write-up for him at a later date--snake powers, phys. buffs, cha+, Emotion Control).  Snake Dancer is the head of the Northern Pacific Coast's MS-13 street gang.  With his brother and Enforcer Tony 'El Toro' Toledo (a big dumb meth-head Brick) they forged MS-13 into a well oiled criminal organization with connections to larger Organized Crime [my take on the Octagon-details later]. The PCs each receive a message from Delphi giving them a time and place to locate Snake Dancer.
     Location:  Pyramid Brewery & Ale House, just before 9:30pm.  Psyon goes astral and zips over using his TP to scope out the scene.  He detects 4 MS-13 captains in a back office.  Carbonada catches a ride with his cabbie friend/contact.  Still in his human form he enters The Pyramid with his friend under the pretense of urgently needing a restroom.  From there he decided to enter the ventilation shafts in the ceiling over a stall.  Speedy flashes across town and does a high speed reconnoiter thru the dinning area and kitchen (acing his Dex cks, but leaving some turned heads and startled waitstaff).  While doing his run through he notices a fellow student from BJH entering the restroom.  Meanwhile Psyon picks up on 2 new thought patterns he recognizes from school.  A large black Mercedes pulls up in front and lets out a tall thin white man in a long black trench coat and a very well dressed Japanese man with obvious Yakuza tats on his exposed hands and neck.  Psyon attempts to scan them and the Yakuza detects him and cloaks his thoughts.  Speedy is staking out the side street for which the actual address is listed as separate from the Pyramid itself.  A large SUV pulls up to the door and Snake Dancer pops out and into the office, not as quick El Toro and 2 thugs slide out and stand guard.  {GM's note:  the Yakuza gent has called a sit down with Snake Dancer to see if he can still be trusted after his time on the Rock}  Carbonada has managed to arrive over the office and after spying Snake Dancer via pried up ceiling vent changes to diamond form before realizing his new weight may collapse the shaft he's in--and it does! Wink
     As Snake Dancer and his 4 captains stand staring at the large diamond guy sprawled on the floor Speedy pops in demanding Snake Dancer's surrender...

Part 2 to follow.    Cool

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #16 - May 27th, 2013 at 1:03am
Print Post  
Great stuff!

I once had a player whose character was called the Concrete Bear (turned into living concrete). He did almost the same thing as Carbonada and fell through some floorboards I was careful to earlier describe as rotting and creaking. Always fun when the player realizes too late...!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #17 - May 28th, 2013 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Awesome write-up, JByrne!   Cool

Over the last few years the street gang MS-13 (in real life one of the deadliest gangs in the world) has been used as a major nemesis for our supers as well!   Smiley

IP Logged

JByrne_Xman_fan
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #18 - Jun 8th, 2013 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Issue #1 Part 2:  Beginnings of Speedy, Psyon & Carbonado*
     (corrected spelling of Carbonado as player's chac. sheet had it had it wrong Shocked)

Speedy runs up to Snake Dancer and punches him for decent damage but fails to get his taser effect carrier attk off.  Snake Dancer responds by attempting to use Emotion Control on Speedy but I roll a nat 20 and one of the thugs is effected and on his action bolts in panic & runs into an office wall.  Carbonado pulling his punches dispatches another thug as bullets ping uselessly off his diamond hard hide.  Psyon's thought scan is detected by the well dressed Yakuza gent who promptly hides his own thoughts.  Cursing the Snake Dancer extends a single talon from each hand dripping a nasty, viscous fluid and strikes Speedy with one.  Speedy feels the onset of poison in his system but resists with a successful save.  The tall thin trench coated companion of the Yakuza teleports into a corner of the office & shrouds the room in darkness.  Carbonado decides to let in some light and punches/crashes thru a wall to the outside-he fails to shed any light on the situation.  Psyon reaches out telepathically to the 2 heroes offering to set up a TP switchboard and to help direct them in the dark. They accept but Speedy has no problem as he has Radar Sense-r.I=12" & tries again with his punch-taser attk.  Same result hit/miss and Snake Dancer is knocked back into a wall.  He shakes his head, rubs his bruised chin and quips "Dang meng, you hit pretty good for a hobbit" and a running joke regarding young Speedy's stature (5'1") is born.  Snake Dancer yells out to his brother El Toro for help as Carbonado rejoins the fray with a mighty swing & miss.  The trench coated figure crosses the room draws a magical black katana and slashes Speedy.  From outside a booming voice tells Snake Dancer (in Spanish) to duck- he does.  So does Speedy who makes a Det. Danger.  The katana wielding foe does not wondering "Duck??".  At this point the side street facing wall explodes into the office as the previously parked SUV comes flying thru, hurled by the incredibly strong & equally dumb El Toro.  Said SUV strikes the trench coat man (failed ADR roll Cry) & both go crashing thru the opposite wall into the kitchen-lights out for trench coat.  Psyon strikes Snake Dancer with his Devitalization Ray as Carbonado & El Toro start bouncing each other around the office.  After taking some good damage from Snake Dancer Speedy changes to ranged Lightning Control Attks and tells Psyon to do something about Snake Dancer.  So after a couple of Psychic Blasts Snake Dancer is down bleeding from the nose & knocking on death's door.  Together Carbonado & Speedy tag team El Toro who succumbs to a taser effect and is wrapped up in a bumper from the SUV by Carbonado.  When trench coat went down so did his darkness but during the end of the fight he revived and teleported away.  The Yakuza gent also fled scene and so ended Snake Dancer's short lived escape from the Rock.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #19 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Great Stuff, JB!! Sounds like the you all got off to a Fun start and the write ups give a good impression of how things went. Keep The Coming!!

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #20 - Jun 10th, 2013 at 12:42am
Print Post  
Sounds like a lot of fun was had. I just DMed a new V&V game today...didn't go well at all...! Back to the drafting table.

3 players turned up out of 4 I expected...1 went rogue on me and insisted on a PC that did not suit the setting and then started working ahead during character creation until he was confusing the other players (all were V&V virgins).

I had a brief scenario worked up along with a map and counters, but had to throw the fight or the PCs would have been subjected to total party kill. No big deal there, but our rogue PC decided to play his hero as antisocial and from another dimension where he ruled and now wanted to recreate his reign in our dimension. I asked him what exactly was heroic about this character? He didn't get it.

A second player randomly rolled EVERYTHING and ended up with a mute 7-year-old Scandinavian boy who weighs 170 lbs. and has an IQ of 70...! Weird, but at least he played him well.

Geez...what a game it was.
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2013 at 12:43am by Matt »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #21 - Jun 10th, 2013 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Another fun recap, JByrne.

Sorry to hear yours didn't go as well, Matt.  Sounds like it was largely due to that one player.  I'd recommend sitting down with him separately and going over some ground rules, so he doesn't become the bad apple that spoils the whole barrel!

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #22 - Jun 10th, 2013 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Ha, he won't be invited a second time. Got him online.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #23 - Jul 2nd, 2016 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Bumping this back up, as I've got a few ideas kicking around in my head.

YIM  
IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Jul 4th, 2016 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Thanks for topping this one, dsumner.  I haven't seen this one til now.

I have a player in my current game who is playing a teenager. This character is (unknown to himself and the player) a member of an ancient race of beings from pre-Cretaceous asteroid Earth. These people are the result of some creative gene splicing by alien scientists, joining mammal and warm-blooded dinosaur together.  At will, they can assume either form with powers and abilities appropriate to each. Over time simple mammal/dinosaurs have evolved to human/dragon and are the basis for all dragon legends.

One trait typical in the race is heightened intelligence, which this guy plays to perfection as the teenager he is playing is arrogant, bored with everything, and usually ahead of the pack in figuring things out. The character is a real ache in the buttocks for his team mates but a lot of fun for me.  Especially as he is orphaned and has no idea what his origin is.  What makes it really fun is the player left the back story up to me after creating the type of character he wanted, so he is discovering things along with his character. I never have to remind this one to stay in game context...

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #25 - Jul 5th, 2016 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Oct 2nd, 2012 at 3:18am:
Ramble wrote on Oct 2nd, 2012 at 2:26am:

Fun concept.

Ramble

Sounds interesting. How long has it been running?

It was a short term campaign due to player issues but it was pretty fun and I'm developing the concept into a Strand book or a set of short stories that I think will see the light one day. Smiley

RAMBLE

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #26 - Nov 16th, 2016 at 2:06am
Print Post  
I've got a few ideas for some teen villains. Any of you have a group of them in your games, say something similar to Marvel's Hellions?

YIM  
IP Logged

merteuil
Teen Titan

Reply #27 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
I have.
They're 5 from 15 tom 17 in a group. 4 guys and a girl (who is the sister of one of them). They humiliated the group of new hero at the first meeting in a bank attack (but it was the first villains the player ever met, and it was new players who never played V&V before)
then, the second time, things was not so cool for the teens, they got arrested. And the new group of vigilantes which did not have a name yet, were called "The Baby sitters"  Smiley

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #28 - Jan 10th, 2017 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Well I finally got around to commissioning an artist to do some work for my team of teen villains. He's sent me the initial sketches, and after a few minor tweaks, he's working on inking and coloring them. Once their done, I'll post them here, along with a brief bio on each one.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #29 - Feb 16th, 2017 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
And here's the teen villain group I've been talking about. Artwork courtesy of Brian Bartja.

YIM  
IP Logged

Bully
Sidekick

Reply #30 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Is there a minimum to age? Just curious.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #31 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Bully wrote on Feb 20th, 2017 at 9:52pm:
Is there a minimum to age? Just curious.

Minimum age for what, the group?

YIM  
IP Logged

>