Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Cold War Era Chacaters (Read 2229 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Cold War Era Chacaters
Sep 28th, 2012 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
For those of of old enough to remember the good old days of the could war the "menace" of Communism, did you have characters that reflected the West's outlook at the time? Namely Soviet/Warsaw Pact backed characters?

Waaaayyyy back in high school, a buddy and I were running a Champions campaign, and basically split the world up. Each of us got a section of the US, and then randomly selected countries. I got Russia. And shipped up a team called the Red Vanguard, the Soviet Union's premiere heroes.

For some reason, I was digging around some old notebooks the other day (no computer back then kiddies, I had to do everything the old fashioned way, and write it out long hand, or type it), and found a couple of their character now faded looking character sheets stuffed inside. I got me thinking about Cold War era V&V characters. Other than Capt. Communist, and Gravitron (From Devil's Domain), I don't recall ever seeing any Russian/Soviet characters. So I rolled a few up.

Mother Russia

Identity:
Side: Good
Affiliation: Red October
Sex: Female
Level: 7
Training: Accuracy

Powers:
1. Illusions B: Solid Energy:
2. Flight: PR=1 per hour.
3. Power Blast: 1 d20 damage. PR=1 per shot.
4. Force Field: PR=1 per 2 points of damage repulsed.
5. Training: Unarmed Combat: +2 to hit, +1 damage
6. Training: Accuracy: +2 to hit

Origin/Background:A former Soviet Cosmonaut exposed to a massive dose of stellar radiation.

Red Sentinel

Identity:
Side: Good
Affiliation: Red October
Sex: Male
Level: 7
Training: Agility

Powers:
1. Bionics: (4 Bionic enhancments)
2. Armor B: ADR=98, with two built in devices.
3. Body Power: For the moment I'm going with Optic Force Beams, but that might change as I work out the rest of his powers.
4. Training: Accuracy: +2 to hit.
5. Training: +2 to hit with high-tech firearms.
6. Low Self Control:

Origin/Background: A former KGB Border Guard, injured in Afghanistan.

Unnamed Character #1

Powers:
1. Non-Corporalness:
2. Darkness Control:
3. Devitalization Ray:
4. Heightened Strength B: +17

Unnamed Character #2
1. Vibratory Powers:
2. Heightened Endurance A:
3. Heightened Expertise: +4 with Vibratory Powers

I still need to roll up four additional people, come up with a name (at the moment, I'm going with Red October), and work up a history for them.
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2017 at 11:15am by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Re: Cold War Era Chacaters
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2012 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Rübezahl
Heightened Physique
Size Change (perm)
Weather Control

From the Giant Mountains a character based on a Czech myth

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2012 at 12:02am
Print Post  
In my Champions games from that era I ran mostly copies of the Soviet Super Soldiers. I still have them. (I to still have stacks of folders/binders of characters and NPC's)

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2012 at 5:55am
Print Post  
Yeah, we faced some of those Soviet Super Soldiers back in the day, too.

In our Guardians campaign, we've had a few Russian villains, but it's all been since the end of the Cold War (campaign started not that long after the wall came down, though).

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2012 at 9:37am
Print Post  
Zimoy Vedʹm - "Winter Witch"
- Decendant of Baba Yaga

Magic Spells
Cosmic Awareness
Pet {Actually skull possessed with spirit of Baba Yaga}
Ice Powers
Weather Control
* Weaknesses - Witch Taboos {Must live in icy cold landscape, must avoid being submerged in water 'magic does not work', The Threefold Rule - whatever she does with magic comes back to her three time as potent', looses all powers once a month for three days of menstrual cycle}

The current era's wielder of the ancient powerful witch's power of the cold harsh lands of Russia!

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Oct 2nd, 2012 at 2:34am
Print Post  
In the Havoc source book... they've got:

General Winter
Sensor
Sympath
Megawatt

And in my upcoming WWII Super Soldiers Book, you'll see a set of three very different Russian superhumans...

- Oktober
- R
- The Siberian

Ramble

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2012 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Sep 28th, 2012 at 3:45pm:
Other than Capt. Communist, and Gravitron (From Devil's Domain), I don't recall ever seeing any Russian/Soviet characters. So I rolled a few up

The members of the Soviet group in Vigilantes International were written as a Cold War participants...
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2012 at 6:15pm by AlabasterKnight »  

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2012 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Oct 4th, 2012 at 6:13pm:
dsumner wrote on Sep 28th, 2012 at 3:45pm:
Other than Capt. Communist, and Gravitron (From Devil's Domain), I don't recall ever seeing any Russian/Soviet characters. So I rolled a few up

The members of the Soviet group in Vigilantes International were written as a Cold War participants...

I'd forgotten about them.  Embarrassed

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Robbls
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 6th, 2012 at 6:14am
Print Post  
A 747 was halfway across the Atlantic when the captain got on the loud speaker, "Attention, passengers. We have lost one of our engines, but we can certainly reach London with the three we have left. Unfortunately, we will arrive an hour late as a r esult." Cheap Runescape Gold

Shortly thereafter, the passengers heard the captain's voice again, "Guess what, folks. We just lost our third engine, but please be assured we can fly with only one. We will now arrive in London three hours late." MapleStory Mesos

At this point, one passenger became furious. "For Pete's sake," he shouted, "If we lose another engine, we'll be up here all night!" D3 Gold

IP Logged

Broadsword
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #9 - Jan 25th, 2013 at 6:21am
Print Post  
I recall a villain named The Red Death in a Champions campaign that I was in along with the same people I'd played V&V with.  If memory serves (and that's dubious at best), he was the son of a Ukraine farming family, and came into contact with a glowing substance from a meteorite that fell on his collective's farm when he was very young.  He was taken in by the state, teamed up with the WWII supergroup The Compatriots as Krasnyy Medved (Red Bear) in the 1940s, and varied between fighting and uneasily allying with the major Western teams through the next two decades.

In the early 1970s, The Red Bear was fitted with large blades on each wrist.  Detente may have meant a certain quieting of passions on the military front, but the espionage and metahuman games were still on.  The Politburo had decided that a more aggressive appearance on the part of their national hero was advisable in the face of the superhero explosion in the United States.  Also, while he still went by Red Bear, in the West, he was dubbed "The Red Menace" due to his new, more fearsome look.

In the 1980s, The Red Bear could see the writing on the wall for the Eatern Bloc.  He began consolidating his power and influence, bringing the metahumans The Proletariat (a creepy-looking sociopath with immense duplication powers) and The People's Hero (attractive if stern female energy projector) into his sphere.  He had less luck with The Patriot, a very 1980s-style cyborg with a sentimental attachment to The Motherland.  The Red Bear also allied himself behind the scenes with certain hard-line politicians and generals opposed to the reforms of Gorbachev.

In 1991, The Red Bear was put in charge of securing the nuclear weapon capabilities of the U.S.S.R. during the coup attempt against the Soviet leadership.  He did so, then immediately turned on his allies, giving them up to the current regime in exchange for one favor: Undisputed claim to a large section of territory in Siberia where he could be absolute ruler.  Gorbachev, his position completely untenable, was in no position to negotiate with a megalomaniac with access to his nation's nuclear arsenal.  The bargain was struck, and he and his allies took hold of their new territory.

Now styling himself The Red Death, the scarred and battle-hardened metahuman rules over his domain with an iron hand, with The Proletariat and The People's Hero acting as his closest advisers.  The Red Death is approximately 92 years old by now, but the effects of the meteor have slowed his aging process so that he appears to be in his mid-50s.  His regenerative abilities still work, but have never healed his wounds cleanly, meaning that his entire body is crisscrossed with deep scars from decades' worth of battles.

The Red Death obviously works best as a Doctor Doom/Darkseid/Apocalypse world-conquering villain.  His influence is enormous, and even an experienced team of heroes would likely be put to the test going up against him. 

Game-wise, a rough estimation of what we're looking at would be Heightened Strength, serious Heightened Endurance, Natural Weaponry, and Regeneration.  Also let's not forget the fact that he's one of the longest-lasting, most experienced metahumans in the world, meaning that his levels (and therefore his previous training) will be absolutely insane, and his training will have reflected that.  Seriously high Charisma/Renown/Reputation/whatever you're using, as well.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #10 - Jan 25th, 2013 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Sounds like an awesome villain, Broadsword!  Cool

IP Logged

Broadsword
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
He worked well as a concept, but our campaign fizzled out before we were experienced enough to take him on directly.  I always regretted that.

The origin and the name "The Red Death" were the creation of someone else in the group, but I don't remember who it was.  Same with the claws, and the approximate time that they were added.  I filled in his WWII history (the other players had less than no interest in the Golden Age, so I had a free hand to work with that), his original name, and only now did I tie his acquisition of a large part of Siberia (part of his original character) to the '91 coup attempt.  I additionally  fleshed out the backstory a bit.

IP Logged

>