Normal Topic Emerald City Comicon (Read 494 times)
Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Emerald City Comicon
Mar 11th, 2013 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Last weekend was the Emerald City Comicon in Seattle, and I tracked down a few comics people that have some V&V adventures in their past.

First up I looked up old friend Bill Willingham.  He had a few people in front of me, so before he saw me I dropped the oversized counter he'd given me after running the campaign game at Gary Con two years ago (for the image, see my avatar).  He looked up, smiled, and joked that "I really can't accept this!" Wink

I got him to sign "Battle Above the Earth", and he personalized a "Fables" trade paperback for me as well.

We both reminisced a bit about the Gary Con V&V game, and he said that we'll definitely do something like that again some day. Smiley

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Re: Emerald City Comicon
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
This photo - of Matt Wagner - is a little blurry.  When he signed my "Battle Above the Earth", he let me know that he'd inked the entire back page (something I hadn't realized before).  Matt also personalized my trade paperback of "Mage" when he signed it.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Finally, I tracked down Dan Panosian.  He was pretty surprised to see somebody pull out a copy of "The Great Iridium Con".  He turned to the artist next to him (Dave Johnson) and showed it to him, explaining that he'd done that work as a junior in high school!

We chatted for a bit, and he mentioned that he'd met Jeff Dee before, but still hadn't met Bill Willingham yet.

As was the case with Jack and Jeff (and Bill) two years ago, each of these guys were classy, respectful, and professional.  It is amazing to me that guys like Bill and Matt Wagner have very few people coming up to meet them, considering the quality stuff they put out over the years.  Chris Claremont, on the other hand, had a continous line the whole time.  I love Claremont's "X-Men" run with Byrne, but IMHO he doesn't hold a candle to Willingham or Wagner, who both are outstanding artists as well as brilliant writers.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the pics. Bill looks like he's doing well. I'd love to have chance to meet Wagner and Panosian. You're spot on imo on the Claremont assessment. I love Chris's stuff but even Byrne was at his best when focused on the art. to find someone who excels at both is Kirbyishly rare

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

>