Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Adaption: A deep study (Read 1393 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Adaption: A deep study
Mar 21st, 2013 at 1:48am
Print Post  
  Adaption is the super power that permits the hero to over come his  environment and or an attack.   Against energy based attacks, this power is devastating.   Against a punch in the face, not so.

In my game, each application of adaption costs one power.  So if a person were adapting to a fire in a building,  they would spend one power per hour to resist the heat.   They would also spend one power per hour to resist the smoke.   Also, if they were then blasted with a flame thrower while in said environment, it would also cost them one more power.
    I feel the upped power cost helps settle the added protection adaption provides.    In my rules, a zero means immunity.  So adaption provides a darn near immunity to most energy attacks. 
    To use adaption,  one declares it when I ask for defences.  They then take off one power as the body prepares itself for something.   If it happens to be an attack that they couldn't adapt to, or even if the attack misses, they lost that power point.  Better safe then sorry.

The second aspect of adaption, the adapting to environments I also added some rules.   First,  all you are doing is nullifying the damage you take.   So if you are adapting to space,  you don't die.  But you still can't move.
If you are underwater, you don't drown, but you still can't see, and if you can't swim, then adaption won't provide any locomotion. 
    Also each power point protects you from one aspect of your environment.   So if you are underwater, you spend one power to adapt to the lack of oxygen.  Another if its cold.  Another if you are too deep and the pressure would damage you.    So walking the the halls of Atlantis would cost you 3 power an hour at least.
   If you had a second dose of adaption, I would permit you to actually change to be better suited to your current environment.   So if you were in Atlantis,  you could then spend a point of power to grow gills for an hour, and another point to grow fins.  And yet another to see underwater.  So you would be using about 6 power an hour to check out and explore the ruins of Atlantis.
   I feel the added power cost is balanced out by the added protection that adaption gives  in a fire fight.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Adaption: A deep study
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 1:53am
Print Post  
Here are some costs for adapting to various environments.

Space:  pressure, no air, cold.  So at least 3/hour.

Volcano:  heat, radiation, pressure, posion, no air  about 4/hour.

Under water:  no air, maybe pressure, maybe cold? 1-3/hour.

In a star:  each form of electro magnetic energy,  no air, pressure, gravity, at least 11/hour.

Black Hole: see star.

Artic:  cold   1/hour.

Extradimensional:   ?/hour.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Seems a little too penalizing.  Why not just say, as an example, it cost a power point to grow the gills to breath under water, but once you grow them they are there. There would be no reason to keep taking power since you now have them.  Once the person gets back to "normal" conditions, another power is spent to get rid of the gills (since you can't breath air through gills).

I just never saw adaption as something that had to be "maintained".

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
You have to pay to keep that telekinetic shield up, or to maintain  telepathy, so why not a defence ( breathing underwater) for adaption?

and I think the extra payment helps offset the immunity adaption gives you to things like poisons, gravity or most energy attacks.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
While I am definitely am not one of those who think "0" was ever meant as an immunity (interpretation of the force field rules being the main support for this thinking) and would like to agree with Paul ...

... given you do give Immunity to the player against the attacks Adaption list, I'd say the upped power cost is a pretty good way to bring the overall game effects of that power back into balance.

One question: on Volcanoe - why heat and radiation aren't they the same? (Running off to do some vulcanology research Smiley )

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
As a defence in battle I see your point, but to do something cool like walk around atlantis or in space etc. I think the extra power usage kind of destroys the coolness of the power.

If you don't agree with me then eat shit.

Huggles. Kiss

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
If I had to eat shit every time I disagreed with you.  I would eat dinner at your mother's house every day!

WHOA   BURN   NAIL!

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #7 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
WOW dang I have no response for that.

Cry

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #8 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
What if I had a character who was stuck in an Underwater Star Volcano?

Hey you never know.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #9 - Mar 25th, 2013 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Um...  I get the feeling that this power is being mis-pronounced...?

The correct spelling is "adaptation".

I like John's concept for it.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #10 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
LOL, DN.  I've had long discussions/debates with Chimaera over on Critical Fumble re: this.  Apparently both words mean the same thing (or Adaptation might be even more appropriate).  I felt vindicated that at least the intent was to call it "Adaptation", when they corrected the single misspelling (in the Powers chart) for 2.1.  Smiley

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #11 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Just to weigh in, for each defense, 1 power point.  I don't think there is any disagreement there.

For each hour in a hostile environment, 1 point per hour no matter how many adaptations it has to make.  It is just the body doing whatever it needs to for adapting to the environment.  The reason it is so high for combat is the body cannot fully adapt to the attack type.

I would allow a variant where the character could adapt to a single attack type and pay 0 power, but would have to choose to change the adaptation.  This would require 0 power expenditure, but you'd have to be struck by the attack first (without adapting).  So fighting Icelighting, you get hit by his ice powers, you could adapt to protect from ice powers.  But you get no adaptation defense against his lightning powers.

IP Logged

>