Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Inventing (Read 9312 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Inventing
Apr 9th, 2013 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
� I thought I had a thread on this already, but I didn't see.� So here are the current rules on inventing.

So you want to invent something?� �Not so fast!� �There is a bit of accounting you have to deal with.� �I know,� munchkin, you just want the light sabre now.� �Its my job as GM to foil your plans every step of the way with silly rules.

So...
Step One. Do you know how to do it?� If you want to make a light sabre, what Knowledge areas do you have?� �You and I will go over your knowledge and see if you have the brains for it.� �How about physics, engineering, computers, optics?� Sound good?� � Ok, you have the necessary� backrounds.

Step Two.� Do you have a full inventing point?� This is pretty simple.� �Either you do or you don't.� If you don't, and someone else is willing to give you the difference ( See brainstorming) then its all good.

Step Three, how much does it cost?� And do you have the materials?
� �� This is pretty much the meat of it all.� �My players deal with money by having a wealth stat.� �That is the cash, jewels, and such that they� possess.� Its the sum total of the value of all their stuff.� � So you then roll vs your Wealth.� If you make the roll, then you have enough to create your thingie.� Keep in mind, I am evil.� If you are going to inventing something that doesn't exist yet,� I may assign a penalty to this roll.� In the case of a light sabre, I just may be a jerk about it and give you a -10 to your wealth score for this.� �I am just that much of a thingy.

Also, do you have a place to work?� A science lab is a good place to work on inventions.� I also assign a stat to your lab.� � The local park may have a lab stat of 2, your mom's kitchen a 5,� �the physics lab at community college a 9,� and so on till you get to Reed Richard's lab� which is about 18-20.� �� � You then roll against your lab stat with the same penalty that I gave you vs your money. You thought I forgot about that, didn't you?� I only forget about things that help you, never things that hinder you.

So you spent your IP,� made both your wealth and Lab rolls and its on to the next thing to mess with you.

Step Four:� �Now you make your inventing roll.� Again, include all penalties.� �Did you make it?� � Cool.� Its time to whip out your light sabre, right?� ��

Not so fast!

Step Five: It takes time to create things. How much time?� �� GM dickery powers activate!� �

50 days per invention!

But I can't wait 50 days!� �Well is� a good thing I am� just and benevolent GM then, despite what Paulie says.� �� You get to subtract one day per success on BOTH the wealth and lab rolls.

Example; Your weath is 15, your lab is 12.� You rolled a 3 and a 7� �So 15-3= 12. amd 12-7=5� So your success is 12+5=17� �� 50-17=33� It will take you 33 days to create your light sabre.� �

If you wish to SPEND wealth and or lab points, you can substrate the number of days equal to the score of the point lost.� �

Example� You can't wait 33 days! You want it now, so you spend one point of wealth, so you go from a 15 to a 14.� That gives you 33-15=18� �18 days!

But I want it now.� Ok Veruka,� you also spend one point of your lab score.� You are canibalising your stuff.� Your lab goes from 12 to a 11� so 18-12=6� � 6 days to get your freaking toy!� �You can deal with that, can't you?

Well you can spend more wealth or more lab points, but that kind of screws with future inventions, doesn't it?� �I don't care, I enjoy your frustration.

I am toying with the idea of keeping your inventing roll a secret.� Only when you� �actually test the finished product do you find out if it works or not, or better yet, if its a breakthrough, or a catastrophic accident.� �I am leaning on this.� And you all know why.� Cause I am an asshole. That's why.

Now feel free to post your complaints, nitpicks and whiney pleads to make things easier to be a muchkin.� �Then type this in as your answer,

"eat shit", your humble and awesome GM-John
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2017 at 9:32pm by John »  

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Re: Inventing
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
You should invent ass licking since you are so good at it loser.

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #2 - Apr 10th, 2013 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
I gotta say that was a pretty fun read.  I'd find it amusing to read an entire rulebook written in this style.  Grin

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #3 - Apr 10th, 2013 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Dick is so Screwed.

Oh well. Sucks to be Him anyway.

Kinda cool though.

So John,

How would you work out a one shot if they wanted to go back and then create it as a permanent item later on?

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2013 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
A one shot is a slapped together thing.  So the only difference would be the amount of time.   Instead of 50 days, it would be 50 hours to make one.

If you wanted to make it permanent later,  same.  But the difficulty would probably be less then the first time do to what you learned.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #5 - Apr 10th, 2013 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Got it

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2014 at 11:08am
Print Post  
John,

Being that you are such a Benevolent GM, how would you tie in Brain Storming Rule to this? Could anything be used to reduce the time if several individuals got together for the Invention besides the partial inventing points?

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2014 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Brainstorming just fills the inventing point requirements.  It has nothing to do with the time.   

But other people can chip in and donate  some of their wealth points or lab points to the cause.

IP Logged

Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2014 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Apr 9th, 2013 at 9:33pm:
I am toying with the idea of keeping your inventing roll a secret.  Only when you   actually test the finished product do you find out if it works or not, or better yet, if its a breakthrough, or a catastrophic accident.   I am leaning on this.  And you all know why.  Cause I am an asshole. That's why.

I like this idea.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2014 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
I've always rolled the 5% (of it being either a catastrophic failure or extraordinary breakthrough) secretly, and allowed the PC to discover that through play.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #10 - Dec 13th, 2014 at 12:38am
Print Post  
Dick Dante needs to re read this,  I over charged him cause I thought it was 50 weeks, not days.

So Jimmy adjust his wealth stat.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #11 - Dec 13th, 2014 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Got it. Still giving him the -5 points for Robin Goodfellow using up his funds

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #12 - Dec 13th, 2014 at 9:45am
Print Post  
I love the idea of discover through play...

28 days later... BOOM you have no face... The Crusader Citadel is on fire and Evergreen's trees are burning, a bookcase fell on Dreamweaver, the building generator just failed it's save,  a piece of debris severed the elevator cable with Blizzard with Laserfire riding up in it... Oh and the hovercraft was blown out the wall and is hurtling down to the street, with Enforcer sitting in the driver's seat replacing the previously ruined control panel... Manta Man spilled hot coffee on himself too!

...way to go asshole!
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2014 at 12:37am by Guardian7 »  

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #13 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Well this is as good a place as any.

When a player's intelligence goes up.. do their invention points go up retroactively as well?

My point being when any other stat goes up... all the dependent abilities and base character stats also change retroactively... why not invention points? 

I think of the increase in intelligence also giving new insights into what can be done to practically utilize the now expanded intellect.
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2015 at 10:35am by Thunderbolt »  

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #14 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Thunderbolt wrote on Mar 6th, 2015 at 9:42am:
Well this is as good a place as any.

When a player's intelligence goes up.. do is invention points go up retroactively as well?

My point being when any other stat goes up... all the dependent abilities and base character stats also change retroactively... why not invention points? 

I think of the increase in intelligence also giving new insights into what can be done to practically utilize the now expanded intellect.

I'd probably do it just for ease of play.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #15 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
I don't give players retroactive Inventing Points.  They just now acquire them at a higher rate.

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #16 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
I wouldn't do it for the same reason that an increase in strength wouldn't make me go back and recalculate how much damage a punch inflicted in a previous fight. The increase isn't retroactive.

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #17 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
This seems a silly reason... why did you even post this?  Roll Eyes

Matt wrote on Mar 6th, 2015 at 3:02pm:
I wouldn't do it for the same reason that an increase in strength wouldn't make me go back and recalculate how much damage a punch inflicted in a previous fight.

In answer to Majestic... so just because say a character started with an Int  of 9 and at second level spent a full point on an invention leaving him with only 0.8 points remaining you think its fair to keep him from using that point when he raises his Int to 10? What if he decides to raise his Int three or so more times?  You gonna keep track of all the fractions of points he looses merely to screw him out of the few limited invention points ANY character gets? 

With that understanding ... taking Matt's example.. if the player failed a invention at say 3rd level and he didn't try again until 5th on the same invention would you make him use his invention percentage from 3rd level when he started the device under the same idea that..'well you started it at 3rd level and its not retroactive'?

Seems a lot of effort to not just retroactively change his pool of invention points seeing as EVERY OTHER stat that is upped retroactively recalculates static abilities like hit points, power, movement... etc etc etc...

I'm not trying to be obtuse here.. but I'd like a good reason why people think invention points should not recalculate... like everything else does.  Not just the standard 'well that works in the player's favor so it has to automatically be a no'... answer.  Just seems kinda like a jerk move to not let invention points retroactively recalculate as well... when everything else does.
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2015 at 4:57pm by Thunderbolt »  

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #18 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Somehow I'm not seeing it how you are, TB.  I don't believe in any other situation that we go back and retroactively give somebody something that they didn't earn until the level they get it at.

And the situation you described has never come up in any of the games I've run or played in.  Not even close.  When players go to invent, they always have an abundance of Inventing Points.

If my Magnetic Powers goes up because I just hit Level 3, I don't go back and figure that a magnetic blast I did a month ago (when I was Level 2) should have been for more?

As for the character who was still working on an invention, just like anything else, their formula would be based on their new (improved) Intelligence/Inventing Percentage, because that's what it is now (just like everything else, there's nothing retroactive).

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #19 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
If you get more hits from strength, THIS level, its because its being factored AT THIS MOMEMET.   You don't give him  the hit points now that he would have had back then.   Same with Inventing points.   You only get the new stuff, from now on.

Lets face it, he was just not that smart,  not that strong,  or not as quick back then.
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2015 at 9:27pm by John »  

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #20 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
{Shrug}.. wow... if I have to explain why you both sound like your proving MY point about recalculating invention points at the level you are at... just like everything else is recalculated.. there's no point.

Smiley You see things your way.. and see them my way.

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #21 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Ok. You are right.  I am going to give everyone all the power point they should have gotten, all the healing rates they should have gotten, all the accuracy, damage mods...etc.... Why? 

Cause they have those stats NOW, that's why.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #22 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
Maybe there is something missing.

Regular Hero starts with an Int of 9 at level one and is only training in Intelligence. He is not inventing anything since his chances are low. Inventing points would start and total as follows as I see it.

1st Level .9 Total
2nd Level 1.9 Total
3rd level 3 Total

He now has three inventing points and an Int of 11 at level 3. He is going to try to Invent with a 33% chance and see how it goes.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #23 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
You get inventing points when you go up a level.  You check the intelligence right then and award them.    That's it.   

You don't go and look at anything else.  Just that moment intime.

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #24 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
I thought I stated it pretty clearly up above but TB dismissed it as silly. Glad to see I'm not alone in finding TB's position perplexing.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #25 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
If a guy somehow looses a point of intelligence, would you strip him of all the passed fractions of points he shouldn't have based on his new score?   

And if so, what if now he doesn't have enough points to account for his present inventions?  Do you say they retroactively never existed and all the benefits he got from them didn't happen or did in a parallel universe?

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #26 - Mar 7th, 2015 at 12:28am
Print Post  
John wrote on Mar 6th, 2015 at 10:11pm:
And if so, what if now he doesn't have enough points to account for his present inventions?  Do you say they retroactively never existed and all the benefits he got from them didn't happen or did in a parallel universe?

Sounds like the next DC comics Crisis-themed crossover event...maybe this is what happened to Superboy and Wonder Girl.

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #27 - Mar 7th, 2015 at 12:46am
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on Mar 6th, 2015 at 10:06pm:
Maybe there is something missing.

Regular Hero starts with an Int of 9 at level one and is only training in Intelligence. He is not inventing anything since his chances are low. Inventing points would start and total as follows as I see it.

1st Level .9 Total
2nd Level 1.9 Total
3rd level 3 Total

He now has three inventing points and an Int of 11 at level 3. He is going to try to Invent with a 33% chance and see how it goes.

YES! This is Exactly my point Oni...!!

I'm first level.. I have an INT of 9...darn that's only 0.9 invention points, can't do anything with that .. I need a full point. 

I wait until 2nd level ...Great!  Now I have 1.8 invention points Cool!  I spend 1 invention point to make a gadget, power stunt, whatever have you!  Awesome!  These invention points are cool.. I think I'll set my training at 2nd level for INT!

Now I'm 3rd level, Awesome! Now my INT is 10 and I should have 3 invention points with 1 already spent on my previous invention gadget, stunt whatever... 

NOT 2.8 invention points with 1 already spent!

My recalculated invention point total is 3!  I should have 3 invention points with 1 spent for a total of 2 invention points to play with... NOT 2.8 invention points, with one already spent and only 1.8 available to spend!

Anything else is a unreasonable screwing that I don't agree with at all!
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2015 at 12:50am by Thunderbolt »  

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

xhaosdaemon
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #28 - Mar 7th, 2015 at 2:24am
Print Post  
Actually if your trained INT for 2nd level that would give you a 10 INT and 1.9 invention points. If you trained INT again for 3rd level you would be at 11 INT and 3 invention points. You would gain 1.1 invention points per level after that assuming you didn't train INT again for other levels.

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #29 - Mar 7th, 2015 at 2:33am
Print Post  
xhaosdaemon wrote on Mar 7th, 2015 at 2:24am:
Actually if your trained INT for 2nd level that would give you a 10 INT and 1.9 invention points. If you trained INT again for 3rd level you would be at 11 INT and 3 invention points. You would gain 1.1 invention points per level after that assuming you didn't train INT again for other levels.

Ah.. I'm meaning that at second level he chose to train for INT to take effect at third level.  At first level he trained something else other than INT to take effect at second level... like END.

EDIT:

Ohhhh... I think I'm understanding what you are talking about now...  I was not understanding your particular wording...

1st level 9 INT so = 0.9 Invention points
2nd level 9 INT so... Another 0.9 Invention points for a total of 1.8
3rd level INT goes to 10 so... Add 1.0 to the 1.8 for a total of 2.8 invention points.

That's really an odd sort of way to do it.. hit points are NOT calculated that way {but .. yeah... they are a weird calculation of several stats.. be really hard to do it that way}.

I still don't agree but at least .. I think I understand how and why you're calculating them that way.

Ok... my question is suitably answered... now I understand where your coming from and why your calculations come up that way.

{Not aimed at you xhaosdaemon... talking to the other posters.}
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2015 at 2:48am by Thunderbolt »  

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #30 - Mar 7th, 2015 at 2:58am
Print Post  
I understand you are using some house ruling, and that's cool.  No two V&Vers play the same way.

But the rule for IP is pretty cut and dried.   Each level you get one tenth of your I in IPs.  So if  your intelligence is 12, you get 1.2 each level.

So at fourth level you would have 4.8.

If you trained in I, then at 5th level you would get 1.3.   You get one tenth of your I when you level up, regardless of what you did in the past.   So assuming you never spent any IPs your total would now be 4.8 + 1.3= 6.1.

Again, use any house rule you want.  Who am I to say anything.  My house rule booklet is bigger than the official rules.
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2015 at 2:59am by John »  

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #31 - Mar 7th, 2015 at 11:37am
Print Post  
V&V is all about house rules! That's why it's old school and fun compared to games where they expect you to wade through a 400-page "core rules book" to find the formula for how quickly your penny will dissolve in your glass of Coca-Cola.

I love the fact that the entire game is around 48 pages long and I can easily carry it and a dozen adventure modules without staining my back!

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #32 - Mar 7th, 2015 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
No Problem John and Matt.. thanks for explaining it to me!  I can understand it better now and see where my misunderstanding was.  The RAW support your views...and I'm always for supporting the 'rules as written' and I only use house rules where their are glaring inadequacies in the RAW.  But I'm always open to new ideas... and ways to view something new.  Thanks again! Smiley

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #33 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
OK O Benevolent One. Lets say just for Shats and Giggles you are a disembodied head with a Library Score of 15 and a Wealth of 12. Problem is you are a disembodied head with no access to Library and Wealth. Good news is you have Will Power and can remember everything you ever read or heard if needed.

So you want to maybe create a spell that has no somatic or material components, possibly no verbal if you want to be sneaky.

What would this hypothetical head use as a base to roll against? How many inventing points?

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #34 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
How are you going to pay for it?  How are you going to use up your library to compensate for having a zero wealth at the moment?  You can spend the inventing point, and you can use the library roll, but the wealth nothing right now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

>