Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Big Deal... (Read 1211 times)
Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Big Deal...
Apr 11th, 2013 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/04/transgender-dc-comics-batgirl/

That's how they introduce a transgendered hero? "...I'm transgendered." Wow! That is some amazing writing... No drama - just BANG - I used to be a guy! Seems to me that there are MILES of story in that one statement.

I really don't care about that part of a hero's life - apparently others (like the writer of the article) thinks it is really important. I really do not understand the current obsession with homosexuality. It's not like it's new or anything. I mean - homosexuality is mentioned in the bible - the OLD TESTAMENT (so more than 2,013 years ago). Nothing new here - but a nice sales ploy. DC can be praised for at least reading the audience and responding to them.

Still, if it is a comic about being transgendered/gay/lesbian/transvestite or whatever, it will have limited appeal. If it's a book about a hero who does cool stuff, it'll be worth reading. Anyway, pendulums tend to swing both ways, so at some point we'll see a hero saying "Billy, I'm straight..." [GASP].

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Re: Big Deal...
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
{sigh}... yes.  This is... disappointing.  Can we get back to the heroic stuff?  I don't really care what someone's sexual proclivities are... why does pop-culture seem to need to throw this in our faces all the time?

I. DON'T. CARE.  Nor am I interested in knowing... unless the story is a romance in which case - check please.. I'm straight.

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Of course the superhero world has even more avenues for ambiguity. Anyone remember Shapeshifter and Morningstar from the Elementals?

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
.....And I thought my writing was bad.

Geez.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #4 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
Hudson wrote a ridiculously contradictory article, which is to be expected I guess, since Simone has done even less proper storytelling by introducing the issue with all the subtlety of a baseball bat to the back of the head.

Cry

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2013 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Cool, Can't wait for the issue when she commits suicide.   As most transgenders are very prone to offing themselves.    And doesn't that fact alone show that most who want to mutilate their genitals are looking for something to fix a problem that is internal?  And when they get their solution, only to find its not the cure they sought?

Sex change is, to me, indictative of a mental disorder.  We are lying to this poor people, as a society, cheering on their surgeries, pretending that they are going to be happy afterwards, then being quiet about their suicides.

http://nnlm.gov/bhic/2011/02/08/transgender-suicide-rates/

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #6 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Eh, I have a friend who had the operation and he (was she) seems quite content now (more so than before), so I'm not going to pass that kind of judgement.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #7 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
I had a classmate who had that operation and commited suicide within 5 years.  Like the article said,  41% of them do it.  Not 100%.  My wife's friend is as happy as a clam now.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #8 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Ypsi is right though. The writing (of both article and comic) is uninspiring and seems oriented toward shock value rather than good storytelling. White, black, green, blue, straight, or twisted, give me a well written story with an interesting character and good art then I'll buy it regardless. Beauty being in the eye of the beholder of course.

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

MMCXII
Sidekick

We're only immortal for
a limited time

Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2013 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
My thought on this is that very few (if any) comic book writers know how to handle such things with the required subtelty. I'm not sure if that is because they are incompetent at doing such things, or that super-hero comics are just a really bad forum for trying to promote/forward socio-political agendas.

Everytime I read a mainstream comic and it tries to be topical or socially progressive, it always comes off as preachy or ham-fisted...and almost always annoying and distracting.

"The best place to start an adventure is with a quiet, perfect life...and someone who realizes that it can't possibly be enough." - Kevin J. Anderson

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #10 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 10:40am
Print Post  
MMCXII wrote on Apr 20th, 2013 at 8:35pm:
Everytime I read a mainstream comic and it tries to be topical or socially progressive, it always comes off as preachy or ham-fisted...and almost always annoying and distracting.

Seconded. I read comics to be entertained, If I want social commentary, I'll read the editorial page of the newspaper.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

>