Normal Topic Illusions vs Phantasms (Read 1298 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Illusions vs Phantasms
Apr 25th, 2013 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Here is an overhaul of the Illusion power.

First off, solid illusions are their own power called Constructs. 

Illusion is the power to fool the senses,  phantasm is the power to fool the mind.

So here goes.

Illusions: You can create a false sensory imput in a target.  You can fool their vision, smell, hearing, taste and or touch.  One power point per sense per turn, per illusion. 

So,  you make a fire breathing dragon.   You want people to see it, hear it, smell it and feel the fire.  So that is 4 power per turn.   

So you make the illusion.   The hero then saves Id20.  The lower the roll the better the illusion.   Your success's count as a pentalty for the target to resist the illusion.   Keep in mind they will only resist the illusion if need be.   An illusion of a wall may never be checked against, but a flying baby with a machine gun just might.

So the hero has an Intellegence of 15.  He rolls a 4.  He saved by 11.  So anyone resisting the illusion has a -11 on their roll due to how well this illusion is crafted.

Also illusions cost one action a turn, the first of every phase, to maintain.   They are an action to create, but movement to reshape or move.

The illusionist must be able to see or at least directly sense their targets.

Note there is no pcionic component to illusions. I always thought that was dodgy.   You can't fool cosmic awareness with an illusion! 

Phantasms:  This is the crafty ablility to fool a target's mind.   You must roll a successful hit vs mind control and then the target is hit with a mental illusion of his own devising.   It is so real that it can cause damage!   The caster may never really be sure what their target is seeing, as it's created by the target's subconscious fears, and phobias.   
    It cost 6 power then  if it hits the target saves vs Cd20.  If he succeeds, then he takes no damage.  If he fails, then he takes damage.   Then every round he must save vs Will.  If he saves, then he resists the phantasm.  If he fails, then take the failure amount and modify his Charisma roll.  The total number tells you how much damage he takes.

Example.  Dr Fear hits Nice Guy with a phantasm.   Nice Guy's charisma is 15.  He rolls a 17.  This fails by 2.  So you take the failure amount and see what die is closest to it.   So flip a coin, heads he takes one damage, tales he takes 2. 

Next turn.  He rolls vs his W.  His will is only 9, and he rolls a 14.  He failed by 5.  So he knows saves vs his C with a penalty of 5.  He rolled a 17!  So he now failed by 7.  The closest die to this is a d8.  Roll 1d8 for the damage.

Phantasm damage can not be rolled with, nor does invulnerability or armor work against it.  Same with Force Fields.

The Save vs the will represents the power of your mind to resist this mental attack.  The save vs your charisma is how you are dealing with this attack emotionally.

Range of this power is C.
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2013 at 7:07pm by John »  

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Re: Illusions vs Phantasms
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2013 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Phantasms are a Bitch!

Gotta spend a few hours and get that Powers table redone.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2013 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
I would have a difficult time seeing a good guy with Phantasm powers.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 7:58am
Print Post  
Ellusion had something similar to phantasms by using weakness detection along with transmutation to create things I knew would scare the living shit out of them.

Ellusion was cool until John killed him.

Cry

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Bumped for Yoshi.

IP Logged