Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Skills (Read 4737 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Skills
May 10th, 2013 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Will all the threads about specific skills, I thought I would make it easier and condense everything into one thread.

This is my house rules for skills;  If you want to do something and you don't have the skill to do it, you roll vs your attribute that makes the most sense on a d100.  If you have the skill, then you roll vs your attribute that makes the most sense on a d20.

This covers most skills (pickpocketing, painting, driving, etc..) but some skills need a bit more.  So this thread is a compilation of already posted skills plus any more that pop up.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Skills
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2013 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Dodge:  Gives the person -2 to be hit when aware of the attack.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2013 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Tumbling: Gives the person the ability to "roll with the punch."

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2013 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Martial Arts:   This is a generic term for a bunch of different types of fighting style.  You can be more specific if you want.  Gives the player +1 to hit when using their skill and gives a -1 to be hit when fighting when due to your knowledge of blocks, katas, etc... 

Both are at the GM's discretion.
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2013 at 10:50am by John »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - May 10th, 2013 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Expert:   This is a modifier to a current skill. Ask before you take this, as some skills may not be able to be modified.   This gives an additional bonus of +2 to your skill.

If your skill is say Pickpocket which is just a die roll d20 vs your agility, then your agility is considered 2 higher when you make your save.

If you pick a weapon (saw swords) then expert, you have a total bonus of +4 ( +2 for having the sword skill, then +2 for being and expert.)

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #5 - May 10th, 2013 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Fencing:  This is a skill that permits you to parry with a sword or stick, or club, etc... 

This skill permits you to use the +to hit of the weapon ( plus any bonuses granted by your skills with that weapon) as a bonus to deflect certain attacks.

So you are an expert swordsman and you are fencing with a guy with a sword.   You get -2 to be hit  from your sword skill, another -2 from being and expert,  and the sword itself has a +3 to hit so that turns into a -3 to be hit. 
  So this guy has a -7 to be hit while fencing!

Keep in mind you can't fence against a bullet or a powerblast.  Use some logic.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #6 - May 10th, 2013 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Leadership:  This skill requires two steps,  learn the skill of leadership and then when used the "leader" sacrifices their first action a turn ( like evasion).  Then  they can lead as many people as they have charisma points.

Those lead by this leader get a + on their die rolls ( GM's discrection but mostly to hit,  and most saves) based on one tenth the leader's Intellegence.      

A charismatic leader can have lots of followers, but a smart one can made the best calls.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2013 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Leadership can be stacked with other skills, such as;

Command: Your charisma is effectively two points higher for rolls and number of followers.

Tactics:  Your intelligence is effectively two points higher for rolls and bonus' to hit.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #8 - May 10th, 2013 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Alertness:  Gives you a bonus of a flat 20% added to your detection scores when actively using it.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #9 - May 11th, 2013 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Deduction:  Gives a +2 to your intelligence score on a save,  or a +20% to detections, which ever applies for purposes of figuring things out.    GM's discretion.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #10 - May 11th, 2013 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Mechanics: I  This skill gives a character the ability to fix something that is broken.   Id20 gives you the percentage of a machine that can be fixed in a 24 hour period.  Of course parts and cost may interfere with that.

Ex:  Your intellegence is 12.  You roll a four on a die 20.  12-4=8.  You can fix 80% of damage in a day provided you have all the materials and money needed.   This gives you the skill to repair mundane stuff.  Anything exotic may require more skills.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #11 - May 11th, 2013 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Medical: I gives a basic understanding of medicine and how to treat minor injuries and illness.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #12 - May 11th, 2013 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Surgery: Getting surgery causes 2d8 damage to the patient, which they, of course, can not roll with.  This damage is modified by the surgeon's skill.   You take the damage modifier of the surgeon and subtract it from the 2d8 damage of the procedure.

Also the surgeon needs to roll Id20  ( I is his intelligence score) to see if he is successful.  It it is not successful, then the damage is taken but no positive results are gained.   It needs to be done again, and with more risk, as the patient has less hits!

After each surgery the patient rolls Ed20.  If he fails the roll he permanently loses a point of Endurance.    This simulates wear and tear.   Its best to avoid injuries after all.

And then,  don't forget to roll to see if the damage taken from the surgery is critical!      If it is, treat this as complications from the surgery.

Languages: I  gives an understanding of a new language.

Contacts:  C  Gives the character a person that they can go to for information.  Each contact would be good for one type of information.  For instance,  Batman has criminal contacts that he goes to when he needs information about Gotham's Underworld.   Same with Moon Knight.   Batman goes to other people, like Dr Faulkner in STAR labs for science information.   

Streetwise:  C  Gives the player relevant information about life in the streets and how the people interact in "less polite" surroundings.

Retainer: C  The player has a butler or private doctor that they can go to for help.   This is like Dr Strange with Wong, or Batman with Alfred.  Remember, this is not a power, this is just strong relationship that the player has created with the retainer due to a shared background, obligation, or family.

(Insert City Here): I  The character knows all about a particular city.   When they pick up this skill, they learn the heart beat of a city.  They learn the secret places,  the rhythms of a city.  Batman knows every knook and crany of Gotham.  He has spent an inventing point to learn the whole layout of his city perhaps better than anyone.  He knows the sewars, the alleys, the best places to hide, and all the best, and fastest, routes.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #13 - May 11th, 2013 at 11:18am
Print Post  
How would you do Martial Arts and Expert? Give the option of the additional +2 to be assigned to Attack Or Defense or a +1/-1 to both to make it even?

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #14 - May 11th, 2013 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Make it even. 

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #15 - May 11th, 2013 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Keep in mind, most spellcasting is a skill, but its so complicated it gets its on thread.

And most tricks you can do with telepathy are also skills ( called disciplines).

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #16 - Nov 24th, 2013 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Bumping this up. With the Arcadia scenario coming up and all the non powered characters and even the supers this is a nice resource

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #17 - Mar 12th, 2014 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Thinking to go with Archery for Thorn and then follow it up wit Expert

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #18 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Bumped for John.

Quote:
Leadership can be stacked with other skills, such as;

Command: Your charisma is effectively two points higher for rolls and number of followers.

Tactics:  Your intelligence is effectively two points higher for rolls and bonus' to hit.
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2017 at 9:32am by Paul »  

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #19 - Oct 24th, 2018 at 6:14am
Print Post  
Famous/infamous: either picked at start up or granted later by circumstance.  Others roll Cd20 to recognize the famous character rather than cd100.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #20 - Jan 20th, 2019 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Oct 24th, 2018 at 6:14am:
Famous/infamous: either picked at start up or granted later by circumstance.  Others roll Cd20 to recognize the famous character rather than cd100.

Does The Bean Mage have this?? Smiley

IP Logged

>