Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Thorn (Read 7121 times)
THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Thorn
Nov 17th, 2013 at 10:00am
Print Post  
Identity: Thorn                            Level:13(+5 -5)
Side: His Childrens                                   Sex: Male
Age: 30                                  Training: Endurance
Experience: 91378                             Occupation:Farmer
Skills:                              Clearance: 19      

Dodge -6 To Be Hit
Tumble
Martial Arts +1 -1 HTH
Pick Pockets
Disguise
Stealth
Alertness +20% detection when in use
Ambidexterous
Tracking
Survival Woods
Hide in Plain Sight
Healing (Medical)
Herbalism
Riding
Read/Write
Prestidigitation (Slight of Hand)
Swimming
Streetwise C  Gives the player relevant information about life in the streets and how the people interact in "less polite" surroundings.
Charm
Heraldry
Armor Use  +2 Skill Checks
Archery +2
Fencing +2
Hand Axe +2
Intimidate
Ork Lore
Ork Language
Slaves Cant
Leadership
Contacts: 20 Scaven Street Orphans ( Bramble Gang)
Monster Lore
Farming/Agriculture
Fast Talking
Sword Mastery
Axe Mastery
Bow mastery
Finance

Weight:210             Basic Hits:4.2             Agility Mod:0
Strength: 15                                           Intelligence:18
Endurance:18                                       Agility:18
Charisma:20                                         Will:18
Humanity:11                                         Wealth: 25
Hit Mods:(1.4)x(2.2)x(1.3)x(1.9)x(1.3)=9.889
Hits:41

Healing:1.9                                             Power:88
Inventing:8.9 54%                                 Movement:52
Carrying:543                                           HTH:1D8
Damage Mod:+2/+2/+1=+5                  Accuracy:+3/+3=+6

Det. Hidden:27%(47%)                                      Det. Danger:31%(51%)
Height: 6'2”                                             

Weapons & Armor
Staff +2 To Hit HTH + 1D4 ( + 13 To Hit)
Short Sword +2 To Hit HTH +1D6( +15 To Hit)
Hand Axe +2 To Hit HTH +1D6 (+15 To Hit)
Short Bow +4 To Hit HTH +1 (+17 To Hit)
38 Arrows
1 Blue Orcish Arrow.
Orcish Bow
8 Orc War Arrows
4 Daggers +1 To Hit HTH + !D4 ( + 12 To Hit)
Studded Leather Armor 40  ADR +4 To Roll -4 Agi Mod
Staff
Waterskin
Tinderbox
Candles
Back pack
Bandages
50' of Rope
11 Days of Rations
3 sets of Good Clothing (Brown, Green and Gray)
Cloak Green on one side, Gray on the other
8 Iron Arrow Heads
1466 Gold Pieces
208 Silver Pieces
2050 Platinum Pieces
83 Electrum Pieces
2 Bronze Pieces
8 Pieces Jewelry ( 8,000 GP Value Total)
5 Doses of Herbal Toxins
Abyss a Deadly Poison
8 pounds of Mithral

Items

The Element of Surprise ( Silver Bead in Beard) + 10 Initiative

Unicorn Horn!!! HTH + 1D6 s Weapon

Ring- Cannot suffer from a Critical Hit

Shield -4 To Be Hit

Magic Chalice may Detect Treasure Once Per Week

Blink Ring
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2020 at 4:00pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Re: Thorn
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 10:05am
Print Post  
The Man known simply as "Thorn" has no recollection of his given name. Not due to any outside acts but simply because he has been called Thorn since the age of six. A street Urchin found by a not so loving Master he was simply taken off the streets to be a servant. For years he always heard "This one is nothing more than a Thorn in my side, I have no idea why I even bother to keep him".

Why he was taken off the streets and raised by His Master is unknown. Hopefully that secret will soon be revealed.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 10:07am
Print Post  
John,

My other attempt at an Arcadian. Weapons and Armor were filled in only as what I wanted him to have. No rolls against Wealth as of yet to determine this. Creation based off new rules with basically 8 stats rolled.

Skills may need tweaking or re naming for more clarity. Prestidigitation was more for things like Palming, shell games and such.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #3 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Sounds good so far.  His humanity is above average, so is he a tough loner with a heart of gold?

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Actually I would have lowered the Humanity but since we went with non powered I followed the rolling rules in this case. Base 10 with 1d8 and assigned the lowest roll which was a 1.

If I can lower it I will or it will happen after an adventure or two probably. He is a Thief or at least trained as one. Backround may flesh him out. I can drop to a 9 for now. Based off the little bit of backround I put in he was raised in the seedier life.

I did not add Knowledge areas since you were giving the 20 points already for skills and stats. I was not sure if that should just be removed. Not a villian but selfish I would say or at least that was what everyone around him may have been

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #5 - Nov 24th, 2013 at 10:55am
Print Post  
  Thorns Master was not a kind man. He had beaten Thorn regularly over the course of his many years of servitude. From the age of six when he was first given over to his Master he was beaten. It would be many years until Thorn understood why.

From the beginning Thorn was required to fend for Himself. His Master would leave for weeks on end, sometimes as long as a full cycle of the Moon before returning. During these times Thorn would be required to survive however he could. Stealing food from the Butcher or Baker, begging when needed. The beatings he received from Butchers and Bakers when caught were less severe yet he remembered them all.

During those times when His Master was not away they would often go out into the City or to the Forest a few miles outside of the city proper during the dark of the Moon. At these times they would take turns tracking each other in a test of skill and learning. Each time Thorn was found he would be beaten,  each time He did not find His Master in the allotted time, another beating.

Thorn always thought His Master cheated during these contests. The Seeker would be required to wait for one hundred slow breaths before he began his chase. Thorn would swear sometimes His Master would find him before that allotted time.

In His eleventh year Thorn decided it was his turn to cheat. One night during a test outside the city proper he waited only thirty long breaths before he began his Hunt. This proved to be unwise as His Master had already circled around behind him and was watching Thorn from the brambles some ten yards behind Him. To His recollection that was the worst beating Thorn had ever taken. It seemed even though Thorn had been raised to Lie, Cheat and Steal, doing such an act against His Master was not tolerated.

In His twelfth year Thorn had suffered enough. It was time to end the Beatings. On their next dark night of traning Thorn had developed a plan. This time he would circle around behind his Master and plunge his dagger into the softer part of his Masters back. His Master would never expect that Thorn would use his own ploy against him. What could possibly go wrong?

That night as they began their training exercise Thorn circled around through the back alleys as quickly and quietly as he could. he found His Master waiting in a dark corner where he left him. As his Master began to exit and begin his search Thorn struck. In less than the blink of an eye his Master had turned, disarmed Thorn, dislocated Thorns left shoulder and stood poised above him with Thorns own dagger. Thorn awaited his own Death. At least the beatings would end here forever.

It was to Thorns great surprise however that His Masters next move was to simply return Thorns dagger to it's sheath. No bloody murder in the streets, not even a beating.

Over the course of nearly fifteen years of servitude, Thorn has seen his Master smile a total of three times. This would be the first. From that night forward there were no more beatings. From the next day onward Thorn's real training began. He was schooled on the finer arts. Thorn was taught to read and write, He was taught the uses of Herbs and how to heal as well as harm. These  and other things were taught to Thorn.

It has now been nearly two full turns of the Moon and Thorns Master has not returned from his most recent Journey. He was expected back long ago. Whether he be dead or just late is no longer the issue. The time for Servitude has ended.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #6 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Updated Character Sheet.

First humanity Roll last night helped to round out the Character a bit. Rolled below his Humanity of 11.

Thorn seems to have special place in his Heart for Children. This may come from being "sold" off himself at the age of six.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #7 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Notes:

Tavern is Called The Loaf and Onion and Merle is the Owner

Baronacy of Murkwater. Town of Tosh

Years of plenty when the Unicorn appeared. Murkwaters symbol is a Unicorn.

Yondalla, Goddess of The Home, Hearth and Safety seems to be playing a role.

Remember to bury the children together

One child that was missing was found with the Gnolls (yes Gnolls). Young female, deceased, badly burnt, greased and tied in a burlap sack which had what appeared to be magical Writing of some sort on the outside. Her mouth was stuffed with Variuos unknown herbs

Reward for the Killing of The Witch of The Woods is 1000 Gold Crowns. That's a heap pf $$$$$$.

Watch out for the Dwarven Giant Slayers and Elves. Especially on the way back if we survive.
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2013 at 11:52am by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #8 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Better

Pic_2__Thorn.png ( 798 KB | 28 Downloads )
Pic_2__Thorn.png

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #9 - Dec 28th, 2013 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
To Photobucket

« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2013 at 7:32pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #10 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Its a Staff of Fire.  36 charges. 

1= Fireball 1d12
2= Wall of fire per 10 long by 1 foot wide
1= Spark shower all in 15 radius attacked by fire for 1d4
0= create flame as a torch.
2= light burst as light flash attack.
holder has flame defense 1 charge per use, and will never take damage from cold environments.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #11 - May 7th, 2017 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Seems my Daughter likes Thorn. She drew his Staff of Fire

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #12 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Thorn retired, well He mostly retired. He sold his home in Tash and used the profits to expand The Scaven Street Orphanage as well as the Tunt Farm. He would return to Tash every three months to check on the Orphans as well as visit the underground. He was often tempted to sell the Unicorn Horn but never did. Thorn wondered why he never asked Van Huger to test it for magical residue. Maybe someday he would. Van Huger was charged with tithing ten percent of his earnings to The Scaven Street Orphans and as Royal Wizard his earnings would increase so Thorn worried less about them. On each of his trips back and forth between the farm and Tash Thorn would take one of the Orphans so they could get a taste of life outside of Tash. Also so he had another set of hands to work the new acreage and maintain The Wall.

He expanded the Farmlands  and surrounded the House  with a Stone Wall as well as Wooden Gate. There were no Unicorns prancing around protecting his new home and The Gods help those who help themselves. He learned to be a Farmer and taught the Children as much as he could. Thorn had many skills he had never shared and the memories of how he learned them from a cruel Master began to fade.

He grew to love all the Children and being as they were all from previous Farms themselves they settled in. Time heals all wounds and many hands make less work. Thorn was becoming domesticated and  He was quite satisfied with that. There was more than enough money and the Farm could keep them all fed and protected. The fourth Winter was difficult but there were enough provisions from the previous three to keep them with full bellies.

The Twins Rodrik and Fredrik were seventeen now and Men in their own right. Those two took to the Sword and Axe and both were now stronger than Thorn. Then there was Shane. Fifteen now and He took more to Bow and daggers. He worried Thorn. Not in a dangerous way but Thorn worried more that he would someday take a different Path than that of a Farmer.

The three Girls, Loren, Rae and Tula were wonderful. Hard working and smart. Fourteen, twelve and ten years of age respectively. Thorn was proud of them all though he kept a watchful eye on Loren as she grew older. Young Pae Organ from the neighboring Farm had come calling recently. There would be none of that.

In time Thorn grew to Love Danae but they never wed. Something always kept Thorn from this final commitment and it bothered Him. She kept the Children in line and Gods could that Woman cook!

Ah, but then there was Rose. The very reason for Thorns existence. She was the Light of His Life and He dotted on Her to no end.  Pale skin and shocking Red Hair, Rose took after Her Mother and for this Thorn was Thankful. She would grow to be special, he had no doubts about this.

On a Spring night they were all celebrating Roses sixth Birthday when Winston showed up. One look at Winstons face and Thorn knew.

"Winston my Friend. You may stay one night and Celebrate with us but come morning I want you gone. I don't care what it is you want but I am not going back. I will never go back"

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #13 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 11:06am
Print Post  
  Some time later Thorn was returning from a fishing trip with the boys when they came across Moses and Pae Organ from one of the neighboring farms. Moses was going on to Thorn about how the ladder to Heaven had collapsed how Mithral was raining from the sky. A quick man could get rich just scooping up buckets of the mineral from the ground!!

Thorn being a bit of a skeptic as you may know smiled at Moses and said he must be exaggerating just a tad bit. That changed when Moses reached into the back of the wagon he was on and showed Thorn and the boys the bucket full of the stuff.

Now folks, here is the real moment of truth for our Poor Thorn. His thoughts reeled and he realized in just a fraction of time he could be up on that wagon with knife drawn. Both the Organs would have their throats slashed before they could possibly react and the Tunt Farm would be that much more prosperous. Poor Torn Thorn. It took him a moment of sanity to realize he was gripping his knife far too hard. He blinked and took a breath. That is when he saw Shane was mirroring his stance and also gripping his own knife.

Thorn smiled and wished Moses and Pae the best of fortune and suggested they hurry back to their farms and do not discuss their good fortune with anyone else before they returned to the safety of their home. He also advised young Pae Organ that should he be wise and take his new fortune and invest it carefully he could indeed come and call on Thorns "Daughter" Loren after the Fall Harvest. 

« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2018 at 11:46am by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #14 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 11:43am
Print Post  
  That night Thorn and Danae sat on a hill top quietly watching the Sun fall.

Danae: You are leaving again.

Thorn: Yes.

Danae: You promised you would not.

Thorn: You know me better than that. I do not make promises. I make vague statements I can get out of when needed.

Dane: Unless they are to Rose.

Thorn: Yes, but I never make Her promises unless I know I can keep them. I will tell everyone tonight after supper. I cannot give up this chance. We can use that fortune to reinforce the walls around the Farm House.

Danae: Is that the only reason?

Thorn: Yes. I do not crave my old life any more. That man is Dead.

Danae: I think not. I think that Man will have to stay alive for this trip. You can kill Him when you return again safely. Rose will be devastated.

Thorn: I know.

Thorn stands and looks back towards the Farm. This was never the life he imagined for himself back as a child on the streets of Tash. He did not deserve this life, it was too good for him and so was Danae.

Thorn: We will Marry when I return.

Danae: I know.........

« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2018 at 11:44am by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #15 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Thorn had formed a Farmers Guild over the last year.

Prices will be set based of standards supply and demand with an 8% additional fee for the Guild for exports sent to Tash.

This includes transportation and storage fees

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #16 - Feb 7th, 2020 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Bump

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #17 - Feb 25th, 2023 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Bump for John and any pending stories. Note when we created the PCs for this world it was a base 10 plus a D8 for stats. I had forgotten that. 20 bonus points to use
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2023 at 6:37pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #18 - Mar 12th, 2023 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
  Thorn was gone. None of The Family ever used the words dead but he was certainly gone. They waited a full year before admitting he was not coming back. Ten months was the longest stretch of absence before so a year was quite enough. The Thornsons and Tunts had to move on.

Rodrik and Fredrik had planned on becoming Adventurers!! They would wander the lands and claim their fortunes while making names for themselves. That dream came crashing down when Fredriks leg was shattered. Something caused his horse to rear one day while checking the farms perimeter. He was alone and it took nearly a full day for him to be found. The leg was set and fixed but he could not run nor climb and needed a small ladder to mount a horse now. The twins were inseparable. Rodrik decided if they would not be Adventurers they would make their fame and fortune as Farmers. The Twins took wives, both from Tash. It seems the broken leg was a "blessing in disguise". The Boys, now men, took to farming and investing as if it was second nature. Rodrik was a genius with numbers and planning and Fredrik had his own ideas. Fredrik planted grapes just a few hundred yards from the hills. It took time and more time for fermentation and aging but the last three years had produced excellent wines!! The lowest quality sold to the taverns and inns, the better draws to the merchants and nobility. The highest quality went to private collectors and a portion went as gifts to The Fae. Each Fathered children of their own and built homes of similar size near the main house.

Next was Shane. Shane spent most of  his time away from the farm. He continued Thorns work with the Orphans and Bramble Gang. Although he did not contribute physically to the farm the last few years he still gave funds to Shae. He had built a cabin near the other homes on the farm in the main area. Small compared to the other homes but it was only for him and an occasional guest. No one asked where Shane made his money but some had their own ideas that each kept to themselves. Upon each return He would share tales of Tash and the surrounding countryside as well as small tidbits from the capital. Though Shane was the Black Sheep of the family and he had drifted apart he still loved his adopted brothers and sisters in his own way.

Two years after Thorns disappearance Loren, the oldest of the girls, wed Pae Organ. Pae would inherit the neighboring farm four years later and the two lands were made into one. This made for a fine farm with a diversity of crops and livestock that could be worked year round. Loren and Pae moved the original Organ home to the Tunt section. Surprisingly that was Pae Organs idea. "Safety in numbers" he said as he brought in the last of his Mithril horde.

Three years ago a merchant stayed the winter with the Tunts and Thornsons after he was snowed in during and unexpected storm. When he left he took young Rae with him to be his wife. They both reside in Tash and visit as they can. Shane provides information back and forth between the families as he travels between locations.

Tula at eighteen years of age has had numerous suitors and has yet to choose one. This has concerned Shae for some time. It may be she is destined for the Priesthood.

Eight years now since Thorn is gone. The farm and family have prospered as if by magic. They do seem to be truly Blessed and after all this time they have resigned themselves to the fact Thorn was gone and never coming back.

And then there was Rose.........
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2023 at 6:02pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

>