Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Board To Death! (Read 71684 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Board To Death!
Nov 20th, 2013 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
  I thought I would start a thread about my newest obsession:  Board Games.

I have always loved to play games,  from Role Playing Games ( duh!) to Monopoly.    Don't you dare play Monopoly with me unless you plan to finish!   I don't care if I am losing,  just finish the damn game!

I grew up in a family that would play games every once in a while.   We played Monopoly, Sorry,  Trouble,  and lots of card games.  We used to get together for huge poker games on the holidays.   

I always bring games to my sister's house to play with my nieces and nephews.  I hope I am not that pest uncle and they are just humoring me.      

Anyway, in the past year, I went bananas with board games.   I bought, and I think the technical term is a shit load.

I want to play some right now, but since my wife is sick of me,  am typing instead of playing.

So here are some of my recent games and what I think of them.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Board To Death!
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
Arkham Horror

I blame this game for jumpstarting my new found obsession with games.   Its a beautiful board game with infinite replayablity.   Its the most fun you will have losing a game, I promise.

You have a huge board with the town of Arkham.  Gates to other worlds appear  and you have to jump in them ( where you go to another part of the board and explore other worlds) inorder to close them.   You close them all, you win.   Too many open,  then some hyperdimensional bad ass will eat your face.

I bought all the expansions, and the minis that go with it.    I even bough the novels!

My only problem with the game is it takes about an hour to set up, and about 20 minutes after everyone leaves to put away.    So its not a spur of the moment game.     And it takes a few hours.    A game of Arkham Horror is a commitment.

A+

« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2013 at 7:35pm by John »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
Elder Sign

If you want to play Arkham Horror, and who doesn't? but you don't have the time for a full on game, or you don't want to sort cards for an hour or so before hand, then Elder Sign is for you.

Its a cheaper, faster, but more luck based version of Arkham Horror.   I love this, and if not for Arkham Horror, this would be my go to game.   

Instead of roaming the town of Arkham for clues, you are in the Museum in Arkham going though rooms looking for clues.     You will lose more than you win,  and if the big baddy shows, he will probably eat your face.      Its  a hard, frustrating, but fun game.

My only problem with it is its all about die rolls.  Sure you can play the odds a bit, but its still comes down to luck.

B+
If you want to play Arkham Horror, and who doesn't? but you don't have the time for a full on game, or you don't want to sort cards for an hour or so before hand, then Elder Sign is for you.

Its a cheaper, faster, but more luck based version of Arkham Horror.   I love this, and if not for Arkham Horror, this would be my go to game.   

Instead of roaming the town of Arkham for clues, you are in the Museum in Arkham going though rooms looking for clues.     You will lose more than you win,  and if the big baddy shows, he will probably eat your face.      Its  a hard, frustrating, but fun game.

My only problem with it is its all about die rolls.  Sure you can play the odds a bit, but its still comes down to luck.

B+
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2013 at 7:36pm by John »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
Smash Up

This weeks obsession.   Its a lot like Munchkin, in that you have a cards and you fuck with your other players.  You pick two "factions" and then shuffle the two 20 card decks to form one hybrid deck of silly actions and minions.

You can be the Alien Pirates, or the Ghost Ninjas, or the Robot Dinosaurs.     There are about 20 or so factions so you can have a bunch of different combinations.

You deal out "bases" from the base deck.  For example, the Alien's base is "the homeworld" or the "mothership" .   You want to take over the base.  There  are always one more base then their are players on the table and each base has a number to overpower it and take it over.   

You can play minions on the base or play actions or both.  As as I found out a few times playing with my wife, just when you think you are going to take over a based,  some bastard pirate wizard can screw you over.

Its fun, quick and very easy to learn and play.

Its an appetizer as opposed to Arkham Horror  being a full meal.

B
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2013 at 7:37pm by John »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Fluxx

Another card game similar to Munchkin and Smash up.

The rules are simple: draw one card, play one card.    That is it.

But each card has a rule on it, so the game is in a constant state of, you guessed it, flux.

I bought Star Fluxx, which goofs on all things science fiction and of course, Chthulu Flux, which is a goof on Lovecraft.

My wife beat me the two times we played.  Which is odd, she beat me the two times we played Smash Up too.

I would love to play this with a group of people.

C+
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2013 at 7:38pm by John »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
Settlers of Catan

I love this game.  Its so simple, but yet its playablity is through the roof.   I played with my nieces and nephews, and they got right away.  Its a good strategy game for people who don't like strategy games. Hell, they don't even realize they are playing one.

B
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2013 at 7:39pm by John »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Gloom

This is a card game in the Munchkin vein.  You try to mess  with the other players while trying to score points.  But the catch is, you want to make your own characters as miserable as possible and make other player's characters as happy as possible.   When your characters are pretty miserable, then you kill them.   Only dead characters are worth points. 

The cards are clear, except for  the small text and the points.  So you play them on top of each other and you only score the points you can actually see. Its pretty clever.

If you like Ed Gory, or the Addams Family, you will love this game.

Another game where my wife regularly beats me.   I like to think she is a champ at causing misery.

B
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2013 at 7:40pm by John »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 12:05am
Print Post  
King of Toyko

I love this game.  Its so freaking childish, and I love it.

You are a giant monster trying to take over Tokyo.  You fight off the other monsters and stay in Tokyo the longest.  Its like king of the hill.

You can buy powers,  evolve, heal, and attack.  Its all based on die rolls, but you can re roll three times, so you can plan strategy.   And kids love it.

A
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2013 at 7:41pm by John »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #8 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 12:10am
Print Post  
Divine Right

This is my favorite board game of all time.  I played it a million times as  kid, and I don't think I ever played by the rules until this year.   Everyone but  the Oni and I hate this game.  So I don't get to play too often. In fact a few years ago, I flew to Wisconsin to play this game at a convention.  I got to meet Majestic, so it was a great weekend.

Its a 10 hour game that I have yet to play to the full 20 turns.  Its like Risk Meets D&D.   

The game is very easy to house rule, and it lends it self to it.  The few forums I found for this game online are all about how people make homemade counters,  new concepts and basically make this overly complicated game more complicated.

My wife hates it and will never play it.   

It takes me way too long to set it up, and when you are playing you  need someone to write down what is going on so you don't get confused.   

Yes is that type of game.

Paul played once and even though he kicked ass, he hates it.   Its ok, we all hate him for kicking our ass.

A+ for me.  Everyone else F
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2013 at 7:42pm by John »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #9 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Munchkin

This is such a fun game.  My nieces and nephews love it.  I game them my copy and bought myself another one.

Its a game that mocks D&D and lets you hack and slash without all that cumbersome role playing.   And you have to mess with the other players or you pretty much will lose.

Its a card game, but if you get the deluxe version you get a board with it that makes it easier to keep track of what the hell is going on.

You can be a theif, elf, cleric, fighter, dwarf, wizard, and pretty much all of them in one game.   It all changes with each card you draw.   And when think you are winning,  your friends fuck you over.

My one niece and her shy boyfriend never play with us, but they ended up screaming and yelling and laughing with us over one holiday weekend.   

It can get confusing, and while playing with a group I go to a pub to game with, one of the girls, and in Munchkin's defence, she was a lawyer so screw her, got up and left in the middle of the game saying she just couldn't get it.

This is the most copied game I think, and if its copied so much, it must be doing something right.

A
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2013 at 7:42pm by John »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 8:15am
Print Post  
John wrote on Nov 21st, 2013 at 12:05am:
King of Toyko

I love this game.  Its so freaking childish, and I love it.

You are a giant monster trying to take over Tokyo.  You fight off the other monsters and stay in Tokyo the longest.  Its like king of the hill.

You can buy powers,  evolve, heal, and attack.  Its all based on die rolls, but you can re roll three times, so you can plan strategy.   And kids love it.

A

I really wanna try this. I do have a weakness for big monsters, and my youngest daughter is a 4-year-old Godzilla fanatic!

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #11 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Thanks so much for the excellent recaps, John.  I play Munchkin all the time with my kids (and sometimes with my nephews, too), but my wife hates it.  I didn't know there was a game board for it!  I've got tons of versions of it (Star Munchkin, The Good, the Bad, and the Munchkin, Munchkin Fu, Munchkin Bites!, Super Munchkin, Munchkin Impossible, and Munchkin Booty), plus an expansion or two for some of them.  It's great fun to mix and match the sets, so you get Pirate Ninjas, or Vampire Supers, etc.

As a lover of board games, I think you'd really like Small World, which is really a lot of fun.  Sort of like a D&D board game, but the tiles that make up the board game are always different (sort of like Settlers).
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2013 at 3:33pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #12 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Well my to copies of Steve Jackson Games 6th edition Ogre arrived last week, and I'm still punching pieces out (work digs into my slack time). GEV/Ogre were the games that got me into gaming (I discovered them and AD&D all in the same day). I loved playing back in the day, and still have my original copies from way back in 1980.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #13 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Majestic,

I have a copy of Small World, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet.  It looks like so much fun.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #14 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Tsuro

This is a beautiful board game that you can play in about ten minutes.  It takes longer to read this review than it does to set up and to put away.     Its really easy, but it can be a bit addictive.  Its a good  starter game for kids.

The game is simple.  You get three tiles, and a playing piece. You place the piece on one of the starting lines.  You place your tile in the square by your starting line and follow the lines on the tile.   

You have to follow the lines to the end. If you go off the board, you are eliminated.  If you place a tile that forces another player off the board, he is eliminated.  If you crash into another player, you both are eliminated  ( this is due to you both following the lines back to the edge of the board).

Its elegantly simple. 

C+

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #15 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Hive

This is a two person game. It is very similar to chess.  The game uses insects and arachnids as its theme.  Each critter has a special move, much like each chess piece has its own move.  And to win you have to surround the other's queen bee.   It doesn't matter if some of the bugs are the queens own bugs, only that she is surrounded.

My wife loves this game.  It took her only a game or two to get the hang of it.  Its a good introduction game for kids to teach them how to play longer strategy games.

Its quick to set up and put away.

B

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #16 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Forbidden Island

This is a cooperative game where you are exploring an island that is sinking.   You take on the roles of the pilot, messenger, navigator, engineer, and others.   You have to work together to get four items and then leave the island.  The problem is, by stepping on the island, you have triggered its defence of sinking in order to keep its secrets.

This is fun, tense game that I played with my ten year old niece and her friends.  They loved it.   Its a fun game, easy to set up and you can put it away as you play.

A

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #17 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Paul played once and even though he kicked ass, he hates it.   Its ok, we all hate him for kicking our ass.

I think "hate" is a strong word. I think the game was OK but remember I'm just not into strategy games. I hate Risk as well, so there you go.

The win was based on some luck and a strategic alliance with Gerry. Oh and my incredible good looks.

But the look on your face when you realized I won was priceless!   Grin

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #18 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
I loved that game. It was fun.  Even if I don't win, I love the stories that come out of Divine Right.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #19 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 1:41am
Print Post  
John wrote on Nov 21st, 2013 at 7:33pm:
Majestic,

I have a copy of Small World, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet.  It looks like so much fun.

We played twice, once with one of the expansions.  We had an out of town guest, and we spent most of the weekend playing D&D.  But the GM used the games of Small World we played (in-between sessions) as back-story for the game world.  So there were things like Swamp Hobbits and Bivouacking Skeletons.  Grin

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #20 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
I'll highly second (or is it third) Small World, although if you plan on playing it more than a few times, I'd make sure to get the small expansions (Grand Dames, Cursed! and Be Not Afraid), since some of the new races and powers are *really* nice and it makes it easier to leave out a few if no one in the group likes them.

Another game for me that is a current favorite is Formula D, a fantastic racing game which has multiple levels of difficulty, several of which could be used simultaneously if desired.

- Marc

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #21 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Oh for a great "between games" game, I really like Ninja vs. Ninja. Two very different ways to win and the game can play in about 10 minutes between experienced players.

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #22 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Nov 21st, 2013 at 3:40pm:
Well my to copies of Steve Jackson Games 6th edition Ogre arrived last week, and I'm still punching pieces out (work digs into my slack time). GEV/Ogre were the games that got me into gaming (I discovered them and AD&D all in the same day). I loved playing back in the day, and still have my original copies from way back in 1980.

I was so tempted to get that, but the cardboard moved me away from it (I really wanted molded figures, probably so I could paint them).

Anyone else here play Car Wars?

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #23 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Finally (for now anyway) have you tried The Lord of the Rings cooperative game (formerly from Hasbro in the US but now Fantasy Flight)? It was the game that got me into "modern" boardgaming a number of years back. Players are the four Fellowship Hobbits (with Fatty Bolger thrown in as a fifth to allow five players). It is highly interactive with all players essentially playing all the time, discussing options, strategies, planning for future rounds, etc. If the ringbearer goes down, you all lose, but even if only the ringbearer is left standing and the ring is destroyed, everybody wins!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #24 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
I'm a huge Lord of the Rings fan, Lord Inar, and I hadn't heard of that one.  Might have to hunt that one down!

If you guys haven't heard of it, another fun LotR board game that's a lot of fun (but is only for two players) is Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation.  It's sort of like chess, where each side tries to take out the others, but each counter has different abilities.  The Shadow wins by killing the Ring Bearer and the Fellowship wins if they take out all the bad guys or move their Ring Bearer all the way across the board.  Tons of fun, and it was made by Reiner Knizia, the German fellow who's made over 500 published games (many of which have won awards!).

Late Edit: Here is a good description of the game.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2013 at 3:28pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #25 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Lord Inar wrote on Nov 22nd, 2013 at 12:49pm:
dsumner wrote on Nov 21st, 2013 at 3:40pm:

I was so tempted to get that, but the cardboard moved me away from it (I really wanted molded figures, probably so I could paint them).

Anyone else here play Car Wars?

At $100 you really wouldn't have gotten much. It took me close to four hours just to punch out all the gaming pieces, and I'm a CW fan from way back when the pocket box 1st edition came out. I'm also doing a little something with the upcoming 6th edition.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #26 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Nov 22nd, 2013 at 3:26pm:
I'm a huge Lord of the Rings fan, Lord Inar, and I hadn't heard of that one.  Might have to hunt that one down!

Here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_the_Rings_(board_game)

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #27 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Nov 22nd, 2013 at 4:02pm:
I'm also doing a little something with the upcoming 6th edition {of Car Wars}.

Music to my ears!

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #28 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Lord of the Rings Card Game

I have been playing this game about once a day for a week now.  Its a game like Magic The Gathering, but you can play solo. 

Its super fucking hard.

Or

I am playing wrong.

You have two decks of cards.  One for the bad guys and events,  the other for you.

You have three hero cards with special powers and you can play other cards if you have the resources.    Its very frustrating,  and I can't help but think I am doing something wrong.

I solved the first quest after about 20 attempts, but I can not see how anyone can get past the first encounter in the second quest.

I still like the game, but I am about to set fire to the box.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2013 at 5:59pm by John »  

IP Logged

Sylver Nightwind
Teen Titan

Whatever, I do what I
want!

Reply #29 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Nov 21st, 2013 at 12:03am:
Gloom

This is a card game in the Munchkin vein.  You try to mess  with the other players while trying to score points.  But the catch is, you want to make your own characters as miserable as possible and make other player's characters as happy as possible.   When your characters are pretty miserable, then you kill them.   Only dead characters are worth points. 

The cards are clear, except for  the small text and the points.  So you play them on top of each other and you only score the points you can actually see. Its pretty clever.

If you like Ed Gory, or the Addams Family, you will love this game.

Another game where my wife regularly beats me.   I like to think she is a champ at causing misery.

B

Is that so??????

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #30 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
All I meant is that you are so good at that game.... Smiley

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #31 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
Wow ... and that's not even the one I thought she was going to call you on pal Wink

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #32 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 6:03am
Print Post  
Lord Inar wrote on Nov 22nd, 2013 at 4:37pm:
Majestic wrote on Nov 22nd, 2013 at 3:26pm:

Here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_the_Rings_(board_game)

Thank you, sir!  Is this the one?

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #33 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 9:02am
Print Post  
I will go with Arkham Horror as my Favorite.

Divine Right comes next but does take forever so it is best played early Saturday afternoon into Saturday night. I think the furthest we ever got was 15 rounds.

I am buying King of Tokyo for Emily for Christmas possibly Gloom also.

Never played Munchkin or any of the spin offs

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #34 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Jimmy, I never realized you never played Munchkin.  Its a blast.  I think Karen and Emily would  get a kick out of it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Topic Tools

>