Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) v&v card game (Read 4775 times)
Free-Born
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

v&v card game
Nov 25th, 2013 at 7:54pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Re: v&v card game
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2013 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
There should already be a thread about it going.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2013 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
I don't know about a dedicated thread, but somebody mentioned it elsewhere (I believe in one of the welcome topics).

FWIW, it looks really cool, and there's been so much support so far and enough of the stretch goals have been met that those of us that supported at the Superhero level ($45) or more get a bunch of extra decks.

I got a chance to play this with the game's creator, Ben, a couple of years ago and it's a lot of fun.  I'm really looking forward to getting it!  Smiley

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2013 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Awesome. Ben and I shared a room at GaryCon and he's a good guy. I was out of gaming when card games became popular but I have to say this one really captures the essence of V&V for me when we tried it out.

... now where in my couch can I find enough change to be a Cosmic contributor. Smiley

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

merteuil
Teen Titan

Reply #4 - May 24th, 2015 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
I did not participate and i regret it already. I hope we will be able to buy it really soon.

It's coming

sorry if there was another thread about it but i didn't find it

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #5 - May 24th, 2015 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
as a guy who grew up on V&V and made the leap to Magic and other card games when Rpg'ing was scarce this looks like a lot of fun I've already invested in two different  card games based on DC and Marvel over the years

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

dan2448
Teen Titan

Reply #6 - Dec 31st, 2016 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
I (finally) bought a copy of the boxed set on Amazon today. 

Might anyone who has played it be willing to offer any thoughts about it (good or bad, my money is spent - so I'm open to any feedback)?

And any thoughts about the "Mind Over Matter" supplement?

IP Logged

merteuil
Teen Titan

Reply #7 - Dec 31st, 2016 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
i tried to buy a copy by amazon too. But few sellers would sell of USA. And my copy never arrived :/
i had a refund but i am really pissed.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #8 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 4:31am
Print Post  
That's too bad, merteuil.  Perhaps you could buy one direct this time? (not sure if that's possible, but I thought it was back in the day)

I'll post here what I did on the MHG site, since I know there are a few here that don't visit there:

I've pulled my game out in the last few days, with the intention of trying to get a game started (so many games, not enough time!). I got to play the prototype game with Ben back at Gary Con (over five years ago), but since getting the actual game I've only played a partial game. I look forward to trying it out soon, though, so hopefully I can report more after I get that opportunity.

IP Logged

dan2448
Teen Titan

Reply #9 - Jan 3rd, 2017 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Not many responses.  I assume that means others reading this thread may not've bought the game.  If that's indeed the case, could i tweak the question I previously asked, and instead ask here, if you didn't buy the V&V Card Game was that because: (i) you don't like card games generally, (ii) you weren't particularly interested in the characters featured in it, (iii) because the characters were, I think, licensed from Monkey House Games, (iv) priced higher than your personal 'buy' price, and/or (v) something else entirely.

To answer my own question here myself first, I didn't buy it until now because of a combination of (i) and (iv), and because it was/is my understanding that my favorite villains from vintage V&V publications (the Destroyers, Dr. Apocalypse, and FORCE) were not included in the game.
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2017 at 2:03pm by dan2448 »  

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #10 - Jan 3rd, 2017 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
I didn't buy it, but it was part (iv) and (v).  It was priced higher than I want for a game with very little information on it.  Also, the game looked to be cheaper production values than what I expect with boardgames/cardgames I buy.  I don't mind spending $30-40 for a game.  But this just didn't seem like the value was there.  Haven't looked recently.

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - Jan 4th, 2017 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
To answer Dan question:
(i) I'm not big into card games.
(ii) I've outgrown all the Crushers/Crusaders and my players didn't have fond memories of them either. That said, I appreciate the inclusion of Condor and Shatterman.
(v) Seemed like too much $$$ for what you were getting. And besides, if I have an hour with a few buddies... I'd rather just play V&V.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #12 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
We tried to play again last night, but to no avail.  For the second time, had to shut the game down due to confusion on numerous issues.

One player saw lots of strategy, even in this abortive attempt, so we're hoping to learn a few more things (some appear to be mislabeled) before trying again.

IP Logged

merteuil
Teen Titan

Reply #13 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jan 2nd, 2017 at 4:31am:
Perhaps you could buy one direct this time? (not sure if that's possible, but I thought it was back in the day)

No i tried to buy it only a few months ago
i think that 's not possible for the moment

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #14 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
It appears it's available at amazon.com right now.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #15 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 10:40am
Print Post  
I ended up ordering the game and all expansions last week.  Looking forward to getting the game in and giving it a shot.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #16 - Sep 2nd, 2017 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jan 6th, 2017 at 4:27pm:
We tried to play again last night, but to no avail.  For the second time, had to shut the game down due to confusion on numerous issues.

One player saw lots of strategy, even in this abortive attempt, so we're hoping to learn a few more things (some appear to be mislabeled) before trying again.

That's a bad sign... hope you get better results on go 'round three...

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #17 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
We've played it a couple more times, and finally are starting to get the hang of it.  One key was to do a 2-player game instead of 4.

We still haven't gotten through an entire game, but I feel like next time we will.  Last game we probably would have, but mid-game we realized each of our decks had wrong cards in them (clearly villain cards in a hero deck and the like).  So we'll retool and give it another chance soon (I hope!).

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #18 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Cool to hear that people are playing it.

i really want to, but my time is so tight and it always falls to number 2 on the list of games to play.

Do you play it base or do you use expansions?

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #19 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
So far just the base, though I've got all the expansions and am eager to mix them in (once we know more what we're doing).

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #20 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Tom Hise and I met at a game shop a few weeks ago, and played a couple of games, and had a blast.  It just so happened they had a copy of the game, and the Mind over Matter expansion.  I purchased both.  We've played the base game four or five times (only one 4 player game, and it was teaching the game to two people which took about 5 hours) normal two player game last 1-1.5 hours.  We've had a lot of fun with it.  I've even introduced it to non-V&V players, and they enjoy it as well.

I'm not sure why this game hasn't done better.  It's not 100%, and there are some typos, and omissions.  Some of the text is a bit confusing, but the team at Superhuman games is quick to respond if you have any questions.

We're planning a small tournament at that same game shop this weekend, and my kiddo's are excited about it.

I'd give the game a 4 out of 5, and I'm looking forward to getting some of the other expansions.
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2017 at 6:39pm by Hammer »  

IP Logged

>