Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Die Roll Hall of Fame (Read 1869 times)
Marshal Strong
Teen Titan

\m/ All hail the Metal!

The Die Roll Hall of Fame
Dec 9th, 2013 at 11:44pm
Print Post  

How many times have we made a die roll in our gaming history?  Untold thousands?  How many do you remember?  I just had one of those moments that will enter into my personal “Die Roll Hall of Fame”.  This got me thinking of the handful of specific die rolls I can actually remember from my gaming history.

Friday night was one for the ages.  Marshal Strong was facing one of those rare moments of destiny; go cosmic, and evolve to the next level of meta-human greatness, or fail and go out with a whimper, burnt to a very dead crisp, then vaporized.  Fortunately, the odds were in my favor and I had a very doable sixty-six percent chance of success on a d100.  Naturally, keeping with the clear trend of the evening, I rolled a 90.  Taking advantage of one of John’s house rules, I decide to try and “Karma” my roll (easy decision as the alternative was death).  A recently modified house rule, I now have to roll against my “Humanity” score on a d20 to lower my roll (at a cost of lots of experience points).  John asked me “What’s your humanity score?”.   Well, it’s a new rule and I don’t have one.  John said earlier in the evening that Colonel Strong would have to have a minimum of at least 14, so I thought about it for a second and said “15?”  John said go ahead and roll.  Okay, roll a 15 or under and I’m now a part of an elite group of Cosmic Guardians wielding incredible power, over 15 and I’m part of the less elite group known as The formerly alive meta-humans. No more second chances, no middle ground.  As I rolled the die I didn’t want to look.  *roll*….“Fifteen”.  Whew!  That was too close.  Makes me appreciate Marshal’s new identity as Cosmic Guardian even more.  So much better than being dead! 

Another one I’d rank up there was when Dr. Resin saved Shadowmon from dying -  having just a slim chance, and making it by a whisker,  using… acupuncture!   Classic moment that resulted in a bunch of spontaneous high fives. 

Of course my next post will have to be “The Die Roll Hall of Shame”. Lot’s of nominees for that!

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: The Die Roll Hall of Fame
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2013 at 1:10am
Print Post  
I remember when I first started running games in college.  We were playing AD&D second edition.   One of the warriors was shooting at some major demon, the big baddy of the adventure.  I had planned him to take out at least half the group.  So  the warrior, played by Keith, says,  "What happens if I fire two arrows at him, and each roll is a 20*?"

I say, " You shoot him in the eyes and you kill him instantly."  He goes, ok, I will do that.

And blame, he rolls two 20's. 

It was almost anticlimactic, but the group went wild and screams were heard all over the dorm.

*In D&D its a 20 that is the best roll, unlike V&V which it is a 1.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Dec 10th, 2013 at 1:31am
Print Post  
Oh man, don't even get me started. The most recent memory is at Gary Con 2011. I'm playing in a game Bill Willingham is running. I'm the leader of our merry band of heroes, and we're battling the Destroyers on a train. Ratman and Behemoth to be specific. My character, Polarity, who, on his VERY FIRST attempt to do harm to any of the evil doers, makes an attack on Ratman with a pile of debris. The "only" way I can miss him is to roll a 20, guess what I roll?

Then to make matters worse, immediately after that, I get tagged by Behemoth, who barely touches me (I think my luck is changing), but I promptly fail my save and get knocked unconscious. I then go on to miss every single wake-up roll until the fight is over. Talk about embarrassing.  Embarrassed

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2013 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Great idea for a thread!

The one that sticks out the most in my memory (though there's been tons of awesome ones over the years in RPGs) is with a board game.

A friend (so long ago I don't even remember who) introduced me to "Panzer Leader" or "Panzer Blitz".  My forces had been whittled down to nothing, and to finish me off I had one last roll, and the only way I could survive was to roll a "6" on 1d6.  So I did.

Then I had to make another roll, with the same odds.

And I rolled another "6".

This happened, over and over and over, until I'd rolled something like five or six "6's" in a row.

Went from a complete ass whoopin to a decent loss to a marginal victory to a complete and overwhelming victory!  Shocked

It felt like 'The Alamo', and it's a gaming moment I'll never forget!  Smiley

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2013 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
I think it would be best if I wait for "The Hall of Shame" post.

I could write a book of Dicks criticle fumbles and then a short story of Einer Einricson crapping his drawers

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #5 - Dec 10th, 2013 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
I remember one from when I was in middle school playing D&D.  A friend of mine was a GM and ran games every weekend.  I was bugging him and bugging him for me to do a solo adventure to the point he agreed, invited me over, and made me go through the hardest adventure I have ever been on.

I had a Ranger if I remember right, with some energy bow (similar to the D&D cartoon if anyone remembers.  I was pretty powerful, but don't remember my level. Anyway I dispose of everything he is throwing at me, rolling a record number or 20's.

Then at the end he pulls out some Diety Osmodeus or something.  Basically i'm dead, and he did it to piss me off, but luckily on his first attack he rolls a 1 and misses me. So now I go and I ask him "what do I need to hit this guy" he says "a 20, but the only way you can win is rolling THREE 20's in a row with a called shot in between his eyes" (I know very similar to John's story about Keith, but this is the god's honest truth.

So I said "if I do this, I am going to get mucho experience points and be invicible, and he said "yeah we'll cross that bridge when we need to".

Long story short, three 20's in a row! Killed Osmodeus, got lots of treasure and went up like 10 levels or something.  The bad news, he wouldn't let me play with my group anymore because I was too powerful. That was the last time I spoke to him.

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

Marshal Strong
Teen Titan

\m/ All hail the Metal!

Reply #6 - Dec 14th, 2013 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Great stories! 

John:  based on the groups reaction it sounds like it was all more than worth it! 

dsumner:  ha! I know that feeling all to well!  Nothing is working. It's like, "okay guys, have a great night, I gotta go.  If my character bleeds out, do me a favor and throw his body in a dumpster and light it on fire. Thanks, bye."   

Majestic:  Awesome! Does it get any better?  Each roll feels more insane. It's like you can feel the change in the air!  "The prophecy is being fulfilled. From the jaws of defeat he will lead them to Victory!"

ONI:  er...hmmm... Dick Dante's best moments lie ahead?  Smiley  (And btw, who is Einer Einricson?)

Paul:  Wow!  Not since Reggie Jackson in the '77 World Series...!  That must have seemed unreal. It's a shame your DM didn't seem to share your joy.  As a game master I think I would be more supportive.  Then again, remembering the Jr. High version of me as game master, I can be more forgiving of your childhood friend. 

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #7 - Dec 15th, 2013 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
My old game group had a Battletech campaign that ran about six years. I played a mercenary group that I built up into a cross of Grey Death Legion and Northwind Highlanders. So of course a "buddy" playing Clan Wolf gave a a pair of Capellan Dice as a joke.

Joke was on him. Those dice had mystic powers. I was very fond of Gauss Rifles when fighting any "Canner". Every time I was stripped of armor and the criticals were starting to pile up. BLAM "12" bye bye bonzo.

The nasty little green dice were Legendary for many year and called the Capellan Clan Killers. Wink

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #8 - Dec 16th, 2013 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Dec 15th, 2013 at 10:13pm:
My old game group had a Battletech campaign that ran about six years. I played a mercenary group that I built up into a cross of Grey Death Legion and Northwind Highlanders. So of course a "buddy" playing Clan Wolf gave a a pair of Capellan Dice as a joke.

Joke was on him. Those dice had mystic powers. I was very fond of Gauss Rifles when fighting any "Canner". Every time I was stripped of armor and the criticals were starting to pile up. BLAM "12" bye bye bonzo.

The nasty little green dice were Legendary for many year and called the Capellan Clan Killers. Wink

Ghost Bears all the way.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #9 - Dec 16th, 2013 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Marshal Strong wrote on Dec 14th, 2013 at 12:00am:

(And btw, who is Einer Einricson?)

He is Jimmy's character in the Icelandic Sagas.  He is the big bruiser in the story who wet himself upon first seeing a polar bear.   Failing a cool roll with a 20 is not good when you want to be known as the slugger.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #10 - Dec 17th, 2013 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Wow!  Not since Reggie Jackson in the '77 World Series...!

What's really funny about you making this reference is that I was going through a 'dollar store' a few days ago and I spotted a book as I searched for other stuff.  I picked it up (being only $1, the cover price was $25) since it was about my favorite player: Reggie Jackson.  I've hardly put it down since (read a couple hundred pages already).  Cool

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #11 - Dec 18th, 2013 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Went home last night and read only a few pages.  Of his entire life story, the part I was at last night was the three homers in the '77 series! Smiley

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #12 - Dec 18th, 2013 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Dec 16th, 2013 at 9:46am:

(And btw, who is Einer Einricson?)

He actually did it twice in the same adventure. The false Werewolves scared the crap out of him after the bear. Luckily he passed out and thinks he saved the day instead.

He is Jimmy's character in the Icelandic Sagas.  He is the big bruiser in the story who wet himself upon first seeing a polar bear.   Failing a cool roll with a 20 is not good when you want to be known as the slugger.

IP Logged

>