Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Various commission art (Read 66900 times)
Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

Re: Various commission art
Reply #245 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 12:43am
Print Post  
Besides adapting characters in the public domain, I found a cool group on Facebook that share Open Source characters (basically, you can use these characters for your own stuff. Some require crediting the creator, others do not). A few of them were Nazi leaning, I decided to use them (along with some original material I am creating) to make an organization.

I found this cool artist named Cường Nguyễn, and decided to let him do the art on this for me. The first one is an open source villain called Aryan Eagle. This look is inspired by a look someone else made for the character using Heromachine.

Sorry for the black background. It's a transparent png, but Imgur always seems to displays those files as having a black background when you share the image link

« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2019 at 12:44am by Gerry »  

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #246 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 8:41am
Print Post  
Here's one of Aryan Eagle's team mates, Panzerfaust

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #247 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Cool stuff Gerry! hope all is well with you.

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #248 - Mar 20th, 2019 at 12:09am
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Mar 19th, 2019 at 1:30pm:
Cool stuff Gerry! hope all is well with you.

Thanks Paul. I'm doing ok. Had a rough patch at work the last two months, but they removed the problem (ie co-worker), so all is well again

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #249 - Mar 20th, 2019 at 8:22am
Print Post  
Quote:
but they removed the problem

Teleportation? 

Rockband

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #250 - Mar 20th, 2019 at 8:26am
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Mar 20th, 2019 at 8:22am:
Teleportation? 

Rockband

I wish. Just a simple transfer to another site (but she got a small pay bump, which sucks)

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #251 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Working with a new artist named John Ridley. Here's an image he did of the public domain character Stardust

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #252 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
and here's a villainous duo he did for me. This is Slash & Burn

« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2020 at 10:50pm by Gerry »  

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #253 - Aug 2nd, 2020 at 12:24am
Print Post  
Whoops!  Bump!  Nice work!

Edit: I don't like Stardust's "pointy boots" but I assume it's a product of the era he's from?  Slash and Burn's boots are PERFECT!
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2020 at 12:27am by Display Name »  

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #254 - Aug 2nd, 2020 at 6:05am
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Aug 2nd, 2020 at 12:24am:
Whoops!  Bump!  Nice work!

Edit: I don't like Stardust's "pointy boots" but I assume it's a product of the era he's from?  Slash and Burn's boots are PERFECT!

Sadly there isn't many good images of the character to show what his boots looked like (most of the ones that show him are when he's flying, and you don't see much detail), so I went with references of images done by other people's interpretations of the character

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #255 - Aug 30th, 2020 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
More John Ridley art. I've got a group of alien supers in the vein of the LoSH/Shi'Ar Imperial Guard. Known simply as The Elite, they are a special strike force for the growing Jeshun Empire.  The idea came from a stock art piece I'm using for a Superman type. They all got their powers via his DNA. Here is Mentat, Blackout and Metallique

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #256 - Aug 30th, 2020 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Juan Paolo has been doing some commissions for me as well. A few years back, I discovered a group that discusses characters that for one reason or another, fell into the Public Domain. It turns out that many Charlton Comics fell into PD due to not having a proper copyright notice in them. DC went on to acquire various characters, but they are also Public Domain.

Anyway, I'm having Juan Paolo do. The first one he did was The Banshee, a Steve Ditko villain who fought The Question back in the 1960's. Here is his original look in the comics:

This is Juan Paolo's version:

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #257 - Aug 31st, 2020 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Nice work.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #258 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Aug 31st, 2020 at 9:17am:
Nice work.

Thanks!

Another public domain Charlton villain. He first appeared in Captain Atom 87 (August 1967), 27 years before Image Comics was founded. He was the villain for Nightshade's origin story. His suit allowed him to do things via mirrors. He could teleport through them, spy on people, etc. This is The Image:

An page from his debut:

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #259 - Sep 21st, 2020 at 4:13am
Print Post  
A trio of new pieces. First up is another Charlton Comics character. The Ghost was the main enemy of Captain Atom in his initial run, facing off with him at least 3 or 4 times. Like all the other Charlton stuff, it fell into the public domain due to improper copyright notices (or lack of any) in their books. So here he is in all his glory, thanks to Juan Paolo!

A group I created awhile back is The Order of St. George. While they have religious trappings, they're really more of a Private Military Contractor that specializes in super powered threats (supernatural or otherwise). Some of it's members have superpowers due to special gemstones they carry. These are two of the leaders of the group. Known as The Commander and The Patriarch, their gemstones give them leadership and authority enhancements. Art by John Ridley

« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2020 at 4:14am by Gerry »  

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #260 - Sep 29th, 2020 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Jay Piscapo is this talented artist who has a nice retro feel to his art. He's someone I met through some groups that discuss public domain works. He does a lot of re-imagining of characters. He was having a commission sale, and I was able to order two pieces. He finished the first one today. The Red Bee is a golden age hero from Quality Comics. They got bought out by DC, but most of the original comics fell into the public domain before they did. Mixing in the original Ted Kord Blue Beetle for inspiration (whose Charlton stories are also PD), this is my take on The Red Bee:

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #261 - Oct 8th, 2020 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Here's some artwork I had Gregory Scott James do up for one of my old characters, Dark Angel.

« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2020 at 1:07pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #262 - Oct 12th, 2020 at 8:42am
Print Post  
Newest one from Juan Paolo. This is my version of The Acrobat, a villain who fought Judomaster back in the Charlton days:

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #263 - Oct 12th, 2020 at 9:02am
Print Post  
Nice look. I like the design, nice and clean.

YIM  
IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #264 - Oct 15th, 2020 at 5:23am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Oct 12th, 2020 at 9:02am:
Nice look. I like the design, nice and clean.

Yeah, I love the design. The original version had white sleeves, but I wanted the costume more uniform.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #265 - Oct 15th, 2020 at 5:23am
Print Post  
The Peacemaker faced off with mad scientist Enrico Luchetti in issue 3 of his original series. The physicist believed man was going to destroy itself, and looked to the sea for salvation. He experimented on multiple people, creating a race of aquatic humanoids. He wanted to turn all of humanity into this form, but Peacemaker stopped him. Most were supposedly turned back to normal, but one man liked his new form. He escaped, and grew more powerful as he hid deep in the ocean's depths. Taking the name Barracuda, he's now the scourge of the seven seas!

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #266 - Oct 26th, 2020 at 4:35am
Print Post  
And the newest Charlton Action Villains. The original Ted Kord Blue Beetle fought The Squid Gang in Blue Beetle back in 1967. My version has a female scientist get a hold of one of their costumes, and combines it with a harness that has 6 retractable robot arms.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #267 - Nov 3rd, 2020 at 11:45am
Print Post  
John Ridley did the honors for Mime-Time, a villainous mime with a time manipulating device

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #268 - Nov 3rd, 2020 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Another Amalgam by Jay Piscapo: Mixing the original Charlton Captain Atom with Quality comics Human Bomb, this is Commander Atom, the Human Nuke:

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #269 - Nov 3rd, 2020 at 11:57am
Print Post  
A couple of original characters Jay also did for me. The Pallid Mask is a vigilante created when a man read the King in Yellow play manuscript. Instead of going insane like others have, his psyche created the alter ego The Pallid Mask. An avatar of sorts for the Phantom of Truth (The King in Yellow's herald), Pallid Mask carries a pair of eldritch pistols with the Yellow Sign stamped into them. They don't fire actual bullets; the rounds that come from this weapon infect your mind with the play, forcing you to see it in your mind, and become part of it. Most criminals lose their minds. And yes, the similarity in looks with The Question are intentional:

The Evil Brain (or simply The Brain, as he likes to call himself) was a pulp mastermind called The Professor of Crime. He had dealings with the Mi-Go, who supplied him with some of the weapons. He ran afoul of the vigilante known as The Black Bat, who shot him. Before he died, the Mi-Go took his brain and put it in one of their brain cases, taking him with them to the stars. He saw many sights, and learned things that would drive most men insane. He found a gemstone that similar to the Shining Trapezohedron, and learning it's secrets, was able to escape the Mi-Go, and eventually return to Earth. Reconnecting with the remnants of his old gang, he gathered enough resources to have a robot body built. Attaching his brain case to it (and the gem to his brain case), the Brain is ready to set his plans in motion.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #270 - Nov 6th, 2020 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Does Gregory Scott James have a website?

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #271 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 5:44am
Print Post  
The next Juan Paolo Charlton Adaptation is here! Based on this one panel appearance fighting Captain Atom

Juan Paolo came up with this:

I think it came out pretty damn good myself
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2020 at 5:46am by Gerry »  

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #272 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 1:01am
Print Post  
The next Charlton/Quality mashup: Phantasm is a cross between Nightshade & Phantom Lady. This was an easy pairing. They both have darkness powers, and both were the daughters of a US Senator. Seemed only natural to mash them up. Art by Jay Piscapo

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #273 - Nov 20th, 2020 at 4:27am
Print Post  
Captain Atom fought the poorly named Fiery Icer, who was able to hold his own against the hero

I went with a female character using a similar suit, and named her Celsius:

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #274 - Nov 22nd, 2020 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
The newest amalgam of characters from Charlton & Quality. This one is based on two lesser known characters. Before I came up with this idea, I didn't know either character at all. I read a couple of stories, and the idea to mash the two up hit me.

Stormy Carson was paralyzed by Polio at a young age. Refusing to give in, he struggled to move again. In the process, his will became superhuman, allowing him to overcome his paralysis. It took years, but he eventually could walk with the use of a cane.

He started to strengthen his body, but it was slow going. To ease his frustration, he studied chemistry and pharmacology. He developed a formula that not only helped speed up his body recovering, but actually enhanced it! His physical abilities were beyond those of normal men.

Calling himself Mr. Muscles, he would do special exhibitions, using his great strength to wrestle with bears, alligators, etc, raising money to help others. During one of his exhibitions, some men tried to rob the event. Using his enhanced abilities, he stopped them.

Realizing the good he could do with his powers, he started using his abilities to fight crime. With his knowledge of chemistry, he developed a gas round he could fire from a specially made gun a scientist he once helped made for him.

While he still goes by the moniker of Mr. Muscles, the press have given him a name of their own: The Great Defender. He's sometimes aided by his sometime partner Ms. Muscles, as well as his sidekick Kid Muscles.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #275 - Nov 26th, 2020 at 12:52am
Print Post  
Iron Marauder started out as Iron Arms. He wore an armored chest plate with robotic arms attached to it (and a power pack on his back). He fought Captain Atom when his powers weren't working right, and beat him. Atom was able to stabilize his powers and defeated him. He was freed from prison by a mysterious benefactor, who gifted him with a full armored suit that incorporates his original robotic arms. Now calling himself Iron Marauder, he sells his services to the highest bidder.

Original look:

As Iron Marauder:
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2020 at 12:53am by Gerry »  

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #276 - Nov 26th, 2020 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Not sure if it's just me but I can no longer see any of the artwork on this thread coming from photobucket.  Might want to check your photobucket subscription and make sure they are allowing tags from outside sites.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #277 - Nov 26th, 2020 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Nov 26th, 2020 at 8:40am:
Not sure if it's just me but I can no longer see any of the artwork on this thread coming from photobucket.  Might want to check your photobucket subscription and make sure they are allowing tags from outside sites.

I ditched Photobucket after they started charging for their services. Once I cancelled my account, all the images there got deleted, which is why they no longer display in the thread

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #278 - May 7th, 2021 at 4:44am
Print Post  
I haven't posted any art here in awhile. This is a new commission I just got. His name is Der Überragende (The Superior One), a clone of my WW2 character Ubermensch. He's a member of the Neo-Teutonic Order, a Neo-Nazi organization I've been working on

Since I haven't shared the rest of the group to date, here is Aryan Eagle:

Panzerfaust:

White Lightning:

And the group's agents:
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2021 at 12:49pm by Gerry »  

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #279 - May 7th, 2021 at 5:01am
Print Post  
Here's another one I got awhile back. I was inspired by seeing an image of a Mi-Go brain cylinder. The basic concept is a pulp villain known as The Professor of Crime was working with the Mi-Go. He runs afoul of The Black Bat, who shoots him and leaves him dying in an alley. The Mi-Go take his brain in a cylinder, and he learns many things from them. He eventually gets ahold of the gem attached to his brain case, which is related to the Shining Trapezohedron. He escapes back to Earth, and has a robot body built to house his brain. Now calling himself The Brain (or as prefer, The Evil Brain), he is once more trying to control the underworld.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 
Topic Tools

>