Normal Topic The Ecology of The Demon (Read 934 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

The Ecology of The Demon
Aug 30th, 2014 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Demons are usually malevolent spirits from Outside.   And when I say outside, I don’t mean outside your house.  I mean outside of everything.  Outside the galaxy, outside our universe and even outside our dimension.  They come from outside of everything we know.  We don’t know what they look like.  No one has ever seen one.  We don’t even know if they even have bodies.    So how do we know there even are such things as demons?

Simple, they possess us!
Demons come to our world as spirits.   If they have material bodies, which some demonologists say they do, they have to leave them behind.  Their matter cannot enter into our universe.  It’s to foreign, it would fall apart, explode, or the more spiritual minded among us says, God does not allow it.   Either way, a demon has to be invited.     They need permission to enter our world and then they need permission to possess our bodies.   Usually the spirit of a demon can be seen right before it takes over a host body as an inky, serpentine cloud of black smoke.  The smoke enters the body through the mouth.   This is why medieval people covered their mouths when they yawned.

What do demons want?  Who knows?  Some say they want to take over our universe, topple the Creator and assume control of our universe.  Other say they are just parasites, they just want to feed.   The one that scares me the most is that a few demented scholars suggest that they just like to play.

What we do know about demons we have learned from the possessed.   It’s inconsistent, and contradictory.    This has formed the theory that demons are liars.   I don’t think so.  I think the Outside is much larger and many, excuse the pedestrian use of the word, for no other word fits, species of demons exist.  Each species would have its own agenda, its own ‘truth’.   So May demons are telling the truth?    More research is necessary.
What is known is that demonic possession can be treated.  The possessed do not like light.  It is assumed that the Outside is a dark place and light is a new sensation to the demon.   It is also true that the host body succumbs to some sort of deterioration.    The will, the personality of the host is eroded over time.   Many are left nearly shells of their former lives, susceptible to the merest suggestion.   

A treated silver seems very helpful to force the demon to leave its host.   Unfortunately, the methods of treating this silver is a nearly lost art.    I have in my possession the Cross of St. Jerome, which I have never surrendered for scientific study for fear of never being returned.   One glance of this this treated silver cross has sent many demons scurrying back the netherworld of whence they came.
A few guarded rituals, held in locked books by a few orders of the Freemasons, have been very effective for not only exorcising the demonic spirit from the host, but also protecting an area, such as a lodge, from demonic invasion.   These, for the lack of a better term, spells, are closely guarded for fear of the demons learning them and learning to counter them.
I have read accounts of horrid men building sheaths for demons.   I do not know if this is true, for I have not as of yet encountered any of these so called sheaths.   

These sheathes are supposed to be soulless bodies, constructed from corpses of humans and even animals that are temporary homes for a summoned demon.    Who would do this, in my humble opinion, is a man not worthy of the gift of life.   This person is an abomination and as such, your grace, I would hope you would agree with my mindset that they do not deserve to breathe God’s good air.

So in response to your question, Holy Father, the answer is yes; demons do exist and are a threat.  While rare, they are extremely dangerous and I would have to vote yes to your proposal to retrieve the Nail from the vault.  I would gladly carry it in the service of our lord and savior, Jesus Christ.

Signed,
Your humble servant in the true church of St. Peter,
Father Vincent Abandonato.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: The Ecology of The Demon
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2014 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Demons can not enter our dimension unless invited, or summoned.  Which is the same thing.   Once in, they take the form of invisible smoke.   Only when they are about to possess a host do they turn black.   

To take over a host, it must make a possession roll.

The demon takes its experience points as a numerator, and the target takes theirs as a denominator.  This then gives a percentage.  The demon then rolls, and it its UNDER the percentage, then it took control of the host. 

This is why experience points, which represent the soul, are so important.   And this is why some demons and undead destroy experience points; to weaken your defenses against future possession.

If a demon tries to take a host without permission from the host, its the same roll, but the host gets a save every minute AND the host is not at rest so the body will eventually tire and be useless to the invading demon.

While possessing a body, most demons will commit horrid, evil acts.   This forces the host to roll Cd20.  If the host looses charisma, then the demon can manifest one of its powers from its body.     So stop a demon before it murders too many people or it may become too powerful to stop!

Many wizards have created powerful aburations to use against demons.  Some Demonhunters swear by Mithryl.   Without either the only way to stop a demon is to trap it in its host, and kill the host.   

The black smoky form of a demon seems to be hindered by strong lights.  So some intrepid hunters have flooded a possessed with halogen lights, keeping the ink cloud from leaving, and then murdering the poor possessed body.   

No one wants this, but sometimes it can not be helped.

Oh, and don't confuse demons with devils.   Demons are clever spirits from Outside, but Devils,  they are akin to gods.    They are the fallen angels that fled Creation and seek shelter in the Outside.  They rule armies of demons  with iron fists.  It is said that they have found a marshaling place in the dark Abyss.    A place where the Devil Lords plot and scheme and train their demon legions.   If we could only find that place before they decide to attack...

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Re: The Ecology of The Demon
Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2014 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Great write up.

IP Logged

>