Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) "I thought you were dead!!?" (Read 2410 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

"I thought you were dead!!?"
Dec 31st, 2014 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
  Damn it.  He's dead, Jim.  Sucks.   A good villain and your players just went and killeded him.  Oh well, the GM is allowed to cheat.   And  when the GM cheats, its not cheating.   So go right ahead,  take that dead villain, put him back in the files and use him again.

Why?

Cause that is what they do in comics, that is why!

So Proffesor Vomit is smashed by Mr Good  and he is pushed into the meat grinder.  Meat, blood and feces ( yes feces, there is a good amount of feces in every body  even after an enjoyable release) go spraying every where.    So Professor Vomit is dead.  The heroes walk into the camera while the factory of mal intent is aflame.   Fin.

Now, a year later, a mask is pulled off a mystery villain and  Dr Good is stunned.  Did I say stunned?  Gosh no, he is ASTONISHED to see his old sparing rival Professor Vomit is back and about to pull that lever!

"How can this be..?!! I saw you ground into puppy food!"

"You never killed me, you killed the  clone of my brother's fiancée's  cousin!  And you feel for it.   And you left me alone long enough for me to finish my abominable plan for world domination.  Behold, the Discombobulator!  HAHAHA"

So now,  who gives a shit if your favorite bad guy dies?  Just put him away for a while, and bring him out BETTER THAN EVER a year or so later.   And then have him spend an inventing point to come up with some crazy, stupid, plot hole filled lame excuse to bring this asshole back just because you want to flaunt that YOU and ONLY you can cheat.

Why not, its not like Marvel and DC don't do it every fuckin' month.
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2014 at 8:13pm by John »  

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Detective27
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Re: "I thought you were dead!!?"
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2014 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
I agree to never let a good villian die, there should be elaborate and deliberate signs pointing to a return.
The whole "son of"... Catch is always fun.
Inherited power, same villian , different body.

I always thought the clone thing was a scapegoat for an easy re entry.

"Aren't there any villians left? What about dead man?"
"Dead man is dead."
"Casenova frankenstein...the battles we had"...

Sometimes the hero gets bored and creates a villian. Maybe even by accident

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2015 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Everyone knows that popular characters never die. If nothing else, you can resurrect them, or clone them.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Permanently kill a perfectly good villain? Are you smoking crack?
Any GM worth his or her dice can always think of plausible way to resurrect any worthy character and continue the saga. Cloning can be as unsatisfying as ending a story by saying "And then the little boy woke up" but if you set it up properly, the players will accept it like a returning friend.

The only reason to kill off any villain is the GM and players of tired of him or her or it.

IP Logged

80sGamerGeek
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 1:29am
Print Post  
While I would try not to let my villain get killed in the first place, if the PCs do kill him off (and killing bad guys is usually a big "no no" for heroes in my campaigns), he stays dead.  No miraculous returns.  Resurrecting dead characters is the comic trope that I loathe the most, whether it's a hero or villain (it's particularly rancorous when the resurrection occurs many years after the original death and the original death was pretty iconic -- I'm looking at you, Jean Grey).

That being said, there's gotta be no room for doubt that the bad guy was killed.  If the PCs witness the character being eviscerated by lasers first hand, he's dead.  OTOH, if they see his plane explode from a distance, there's wiggle room.

The only time I "resurrect" a dead villain is when he really wasn't dead to begin with.  That is, it really was his clone/twin/robot double/surgically altered henchman that the PCs were fighting at the time -- I, as GM, had already made the switch before the fatal incident occurred (I didn't just retcon it in later as a way of resurrecting the character).

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 11:11am
Print Post  
I prefer to make it so the body is never seen, then come up with the rationale the villain will explain upon his return. But yeah, "Fools! That was just a clone! Ha ha ha ha!" is a good option, especially if the villain is or has access to mad scientist.

IP Logged

Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 11:36am
Print Post  
I thought this thread was about Jack Herman ...

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #7 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
When your code name is Pheonix, you are allowed to come back from the dead.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #8 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Mar 28th, 2016 at 2:42pm:
When your code name is Pheonix, you are allowed to come back from the dead.

That's the name of one of the bad guys in the FGU adventure "The Sands of Time" (it's an old refurbished module from the 80s).

So there's one scene where the bad guys who attack are Phoenix and Scorpion.  Not the most original names, even back in the 80s. Smiley

IP Logged

Razor_Fangs
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #9 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
When (and if) one of my villains will die, i'll bring forth my "project Crysalis".

They'll depart just to come back stronger and angrier than ever.

Since the media took over more and more aggressively the american lifestyle, people started to forget about us and our deeds, until we became legends, pure fantasy in their collective imagination...

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 1st, 2016 at 7:59am
Print Post  
Razor_Fangs wrote on Mar 31st, 2016 at 1:08pm:
When (and if) one of my villains will die, i'll bring forth my "project Crysalis".

They'll depart just to come back stronger and angrier than ever.

It also works for player characters.

I have a player who had to drop out of the game because of taking a new job requiring a lot of travel.  To further a plot line I was developing, the emergence of an anti-meta-human group of bad guys, the character was killed off in a bloody, disgusting manner and left in a public place for discovery.  These really aren't nice people.

The twist had the desired effect on the team and when and if that player can re-join us, I will resurrect his character if he wants.

Bringing back PC's also provides an element for better role play. Think about how many good guys come back with some quirk or mental instability.

IP Logged

>