Poll
Poll Question: Which power is the best defense?
bars   pie

Adaptation    
  10 (47.6%)
Armor    
  0 (0.0%)
Force Field    
  0 (0.0%)
Heightened Defense    
  2 (9.5%)
Invulnerability    
  3 (14.3%)
Regeneration    
  0 (0.0%)
Willpower    
  6 (28.6%)
Other    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 21
« Created by: Baretta on: Feb 11th, 2015 at 2:39am »
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Which power is the best defense? (Read 14282 times)
Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Which power is the best defense?
Feb 11th, 2015 at 2:39am
Print Post  
There are many powers that can defend a hero, or a villain. All things considered, which defense is the best?

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Re: Which power is the best defense?
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2015 at 5:20am
Print Post  
Adaptation + Force Field + Noncorporealness is the best combination of defenses on the Basic Combat chart in the revised rules, although Noncorporealness is more vulnerable to Emotion/Mind Control.

From this list, Adaptation gives you the most zeroes,

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2015 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Adaptation.  The best defense is not getting hit.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2015 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Feb 11th, 2015 at 5:20am:
Adaptation gives you the most zeroes

Does anyone else see a glaring disparity in how good some defenses are compared to others?  Tongue

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2015 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Feb 11th, 2015 at 7:04pm:
Does anyone else see a glaring disparity in how good some defenses are compared to others?  Tongue

But some defenses are just designed to defend better, though, right?  Force Field and Invulnerability are better than Willpower in most fights, for instance.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2015 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
BTW: Baretta, can you elaborate on why you added Regeneration to this list?  I *think* I've seen it used as a defense in X-Men 162 when Wolverine fought off the Brood infection.

__hr_22.jpg ( 240 KB | 33 Downloads )
__hr_22.jpg

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2015 at 10:26pm
Print Post  

There are glaring disparity between powers and their costs, attack types, defenses, etc.  All powers are not created equal.  Nor should they be.  It's frustrating if you roll poorly (see Baretta's topic about crap powers) but part of the fun is making a good character out of a band hand.

IP Logged

Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2015 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Feb 11th, 2015 at 8:05pm:
BTW: Baretta, can you elaborate on why you added Regeneration to this list?  I *think* I've seen it used as a defense in X-Men 162 when Wolverine fought off the Brood infection.

I think of the ability to heal quickly as an inherently defensive ability.

IP Logged

Tempest
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #8 - Feb 12th, 2015 at 12:56am
Print Post  
Turns out my vote for Adaptation makes me a happy warrior in the Army of Conformity.  Yet, along with several others who have made comments in this direction, a defense power that gives you the most zeroes in terms of reduced base to-hit probabilities doesn't mean it's the best power; just the most efficient.  I'd like to think that pretty much all powers - offensive, defensive and utility - have got some sort of secondary effect that can serve as an effective counterbalance for lack of primary ability; if not, like Heightened Defense, they're pretty much ubiquitous with what they apply to.  Case in point: Willpower A.  No, it's not going to have a clear-the-boards effect in terms of wiping out hit opportunities, but it does give some neat possibilities that others on this list don't give; presumed control of voluntary and perhaps autonomic physiological functions; possible eidetic memory; immunity to physical/psychological torture (if such pathologies are indulged in during a game).

V&V 3.0 has got some clean-up work to do with regard to a number of game-engine issues, as Jeff and Jack have already made clear; nonetheless, I'd say that most of the defenses listed above have stood up for themselves pretty damn well over the course of the game's thirty-five year-plus history.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2015 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
I voted for Willpower, though I nearly went with Adaptation.  The reason I went with Willpower over Adaptation was that:

a) Willpower defends really well against HtH, the most common method of attack in the game (where Adaptation does nothing).

b) Willpower gives a great defense against mental attacks, and Adaptation does nothing.

FWIW I too don't see Regeneration (which, as written, is close to worthless) as much of a defense, being as it happens after one has been hit (so it's sort of defensive, but not very good at it), and think Non-Corporealness and Vibratory (two of the best defenses in V&V) should have been included.

IP Logged

Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2015 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Feb 12th, 2015 at 1:43pm:
FWIW I too don't see Regeneration (which, as written, is close to worthless) as much of a defense, being as it happens after one has been hit (so it's sort of defensive, but not very good at it)

Consider Regeneration the also-ran of this poll.  Sad

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - Feb 12th, 2015 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
FWIW I too don't see Regeneration (which, as written, is close to worthless) as much of a defense...

What made you say this?  I mean the "close to worthless" part...
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2015 at 9:16pm by Display Name »  

IP Logged

xhaosdaemon
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #12 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 1:57am
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Feb 12th, 2015 at 9:16pm:
FWIW I too don't see Regeneration (which, as written, is close to worthless) as much of a defense...

What made you say this?  I mean the "close to worthless" part...

My guess would be because you have to use an action to gain healing equal to your healing rate, which for most characters is NOT a very big number when compared to the average damage one even takes from firearms. I house-rule Regeneration so you get it between turns automatically with no action cost which definitely improves it and isn't really anywhere close to overpowered.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #13 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
xhaosdaemon hit the nail right on the head.  For years I've liked Regeneration and it was a power I always 'kept' (rather than discarded, at character creation).  But more and more I came to realize that it almost never gets used, and for characters that use it, it ends up being a wasted action (so they heal 4 points of damage, then get hit with 12).

And I began to notice that it became a 'throw-away power' for people rolling up characters, treated often like Speed Bonus or Water Breathing.

Lately I've house ruled it as a free action (often between-turns) and I think it works much better.  Still a fairly weak power, ordinarily, but at least not a complete waste any more.

IP Logged

xhaosdaemon
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #14 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
It is still a decent power because once a combat is over while everyone else has to heal over days and days the person with regeneration is healed within minutes.

Also, in the case of a character with few powers, one could double the amount of regeneration or (as I did for one PC) give them the option of spending an action in a turn to get an additional hit of regeneration on top of between turns.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #15 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
xhaosdaemon wrote on Feb 13th, 2015 at 3:13pm:
It is still a decent power because once a combat is over while everyone else has to heal over days and days the person with regeneration is healed within minutes.

Now that I think about it, it occurs to me that the GM will likely allows days to occur between battles to allow other players to "catch up."  This neutralizes the advantage of healing in minutes...

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #16 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
I voted for Willpower, though I nearly went with Adaptation.  The reason I went with Willpower over Adaptation was that:

a) Willpower defends really well against HtH, the most common method of attack in the game (where Adaptation does nothing).

b) Willpower gives a great defense against mental attacks, and Adaptation does nothing.

Very good points, btw.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #17 - Feb 14th, 2015 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Feb 13th, 2015 at 7:52pm:
xhaosdaemon wrote on Feb 13th, 2015 at 3:13pm:

Now that I think about it, it occurs to me that the GM will likely allows days to occur between battles to allow other players to "catch up."  This neutralizes the advantage of healing in minutes...

Exactly.  Don't forget that you get to multiply anyone's Healing Rate by 1/10th the doctor's Intelligence (the Guardians have a team doctor with an I of 30, so they get their Healing Rate x3) if they get personal care (hospital or the equivalent), so as long as a few days go by most heroes are probably going to be just fine.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #18 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 12:02am
Print Post  
Everything Majestic said Smiley

Give me a character with nothing but Willpower x d6 and using the A & B functions I'll give you a great character.
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2015 at 12:03am by Ranger »  

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #19 - Apr 21st, 2015 at 1:12pm
Print Post  

The short answer is "Not Really". I looked into the matter a while ago and found that (not surprisingly) Non-Corporealness is the best defense with and averaged to hit roll against all attack types of 4 or less on 1d20, or 20% chance of being hit. Then as follows:

Astral Projection      21%
Force Field            24%
Adaptation              25%
Chemical Power      36%
Magnetic Powers      36%
Life Support              38%
Vibratory Powers      41%
Willpower              42%
Ice Power              45%
Gravity Control      46%
Sonic Abilities         46%
Stretching Powers      47%
Telekinesis              47%
Disintegration Ray      48%
Lightning Control      48%
Power Blast              48%
Flame Power              50%
Android Body              53%
Robotic Body              53%
Bionics                      54%
Light Control              56%

While I agree that there is a pretty good spread of 36% from best defense to worst defense, I'm not of the opinion that each power should have equivalent defensive capacity. After all, the nature of the power does have something to do with how well it works as a defense (or offence for that matter).

Of course this does not take into account Solid Illusions or Magical Spells, nor does it take into account the creative use of such powers as holographic illusions or animal/plant control.

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #20 - May 22nd, 2015 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
I tend to lean toward Invulnerability as a favorite, not necessarily the best but a fav

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

Razor_Fangs
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #21 - Oct 24th, 2015 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Feb 13th, 2015 at 2:52pm:
xhaosdaemon hit the nail right on the head.  For years I've liked Regeneration and it was a power I always 'kept' (rather than discarded, at character creation).  But more and more I came to realize that it almost never gets used, and for characters that use it, it ends up being a wasted action (so they heal 4 points of damage, then get hit with 12).

And I began to notice that it became a 'throw-away power' for people rolling up characters, treated often like Speed Bonus or Water Breathing.

Lately I've house ruled it as a free action (often between-turns) and I think it works much better.  Still a fairly weak power, ordinarily, but at least not a complete waste any more.

I had the luck to roll "Heightened Endurance B" plus Regeneration (reaching 100% HP regen.) among other powers, and even if that would benefit me A LOT, i think it won't be fair if i used it as a free action, i'd be nearly invincible

In my opinion a fair middle way would be to place it as a movement action, so you can at least decide to move (possibly away from danger) or regenerate.

By the Way i chose Invulnerability, it's true that you need good rolls with d10, but if you get a good defense you can mitigate heavily the damage recieved, and in the end it will be hard for you not to be the last one standing.
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2015 at 12:02am by Razor_Fangs »  

Since the media took over more and more aggressively the american lifestyle, people started to forget about us and our deeds, until we became legends, pure fantasy in their collective imagination...

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #22 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Razor_Fangs wrote on Oct 24th, 2015 at 11:58pm:
In my opinion a fair middle way would be to place it as a movement action, so you can at least decide to move (possibly away from danger) or regenerate.

Ordinarily one could do both (move and then use it) if you made it cost Movement.  Only by defining how much Movement (like if you said it cost 30" of Movement) would it potentially preclude somebody doing both when it was their turn to use their action.

But yeah, in your case it might not be necessary to have it be so "free"; perhaps it should cost an entire action if it works so strongly.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #23 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
I like the "-30 inches of movement" for Regen.  That precludes any "normal" from moving while regenerating.

I have a question: what if the character had a movement rate of 29"?  Would they be unable to regen at all?  Or would they be limited to non-combat regen?

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #24 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
The reason I went with Willpower over Adaptation was that:

I voted for Adaptation initially.  But after considering Majestic's points, I can't help but choose Willpower!

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #25 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
It occurred to me that one of the advantages of Heightened Defense is that applies to limitless number of attacks per turn and doesn't have a PR cost.

IP Logged

>