Poll
Poll Question: What do you like best about V&V ?

« Created by: Baretta on: Feb 13th, 2015 at 2:45am »
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What is the best part of V&V ? (Read 9861 times)
Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

What is the best part of V&V ?
Feb 13th, 2015 at 2:45am
Print Post  
On this poll you can vote for more than one option!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Re: What is the best part of V&V ?
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
I wanted to vote for a bunch of them, but it wouldn't let me.  Cry

IP Logged

Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Feb 13th, 2015 at 2:54pm:
I wanted to vote for a bunch of them, but it wouldn't let me.  Cry

Sorry about that. I thought I selected the box to allow multiple votes.  Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
I had to look this up:

je ne sais quoi
a pleasant quality that is hard to describe

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Ease of play should be a choice. 
The thing that draws me back to the game now is how simple the rules are, versus 3.5 D&D.  I guess so much of V&V depends on the GM rulings.  I don't need to remember every little nook rule - I can just go with what seems fair.

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 11:13am
Print Post  
For me it's the enjoyment of playing super heroes with friends, so NONE OF THE ABOVE. I voted for the comic book as I was reading it again yesterday!

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2015 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Ditto Matt and Phrennzy. Easy to run a game, fun to hang out with friends and imagine we are super-heroes.
I like that there is not a rule to check for every possible outcome of every possible event in the game. I also like playing "ME" - or at least me form 1990 Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2015 at 1:38pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2015 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
I am mixing Phrennzy, Matt and Ironnerd into that je ne sais quoi of V&V.
Its me, only better.

IP Logged

Tempest
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #8 - May 6th, 2015 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
I too wanted to pick multiple choices - art, adventure books, sourcebooks, and combat chart - but had to limit myself to the first on the list.  Nonetheless, all elements add up to this game being Just Plain Damned Good - as always, other games (at least the few I'm familiar with) have given it a good run for its money in one aspect or another, but still have not cracked the barrier that V&V set.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #9 - May 7th, 2015 at 6:32am
Print Post  
That's an interesting point, Tempest. Other games might present some parts of the Super-Hero RPG better, but no other game wraps up all of the different parts of the genre in one package as well. Yes there is room for more in V&V. The average RPG book these days is around 150-200 pages, meaning that V&V is missing about 80 or so pages, but the 45 pages that are there are a blast.

I have played other games, but put them to the side in favor of V&V. Why? Because the V&V rules are the best compromise and the most fun. Don't get me wrong, I loves me my Battletech, but I don't use the RPG much (I don't always play Mechwarrior, but when I do, it's first edition), BESM was a gem, and the Star Trek RPG from FASA was good stuff. I've played Champions and have studied the rules for Mutants and Masterminds and Icons. And since Silverage Sentinels was based upon BESM, I had to give it a look. Still... for fun and playability, V&V has them beat.

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #10 - May 7th, 2015 at 9:46am
Print Post  
I have so many super hero RPGs, always looking the one that will match my expectations, they all miss something in one way or another, even games I like and am happy to play; some are just plain bad (MHRP) across the board despite whatever hype they have received. I keep coming back to V&V and a couple of others. It's no nostalgia trip. I tried out some newer games like M&M (2nd and the awful 3rd) but most of them I just can't get into.  I think the brevity of V&V is an item in its favor.  Brevity is the soul of wit.  And honestly, if you need hundreds of pages to adjudicate a game, are you even playing a game anymore or are you playing the home version of The People's Court?

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #11 - May 7th, 2015 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Random character generation!

IP Logged

Tempest
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #12 - May 7th, 2015 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
I'll have to back Matt's point the big one hundred; the "brevity is the soul of wit" statement is one that I was considering when looking over some of the previous comments.  Volume (as any one of our high school/college/university English profs would have emphasized) has absolute zero correlation with quality.  V&V does have some clean-up work to attend to, to be sure...mostly with regard to hit point calculation, power level differentiation and the bugbear of armor/invulnerability.  The 3.0 stuff Jeff's posted on the MHG site flat-out addresses a number of these concerns; nonetheless, 2.0/2.1 still rules the roost when it comes to sheer playability.  M&M 2.0 - and I completely agree with your assessment on 3.0, Matt - and similar games are excellent resources to rip stuff off of and append to V&V.  As constitutional scholars have stated repeatedly, it's the systems that leave themselves most open to prudent change and alteration that have the greatest chance for survival.
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2015 at 5:17pm by Tempest »  

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #13 - May 22nd, 2015 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
The fact that it is so free flowing and yes I like other systems and play them more simply because my game group does. I have to admit though for me this board is a nostalgia trip as far as games go

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

Razor_Fangs
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #14 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 12:34am
Print Post  
Chose the "je ne sais quoi" because to be honest, there aren't much other options listed below that i appreciate about this game:

- Artworks are a kind of dirty pleasure: so 70-80ish but trashy too
- Mathematics are really logic and and well-thought but frustrating in certain cases (for example when you have to rearrange, like, EVERYTHING in your parameters if you get Size Change, or are targeted or have to target someone/something with Gravity Control)
- I don't really like the idea of "being yourself" in a roleplaying game (even though a very talented master could make it thrilling, exploiting the meta-gaming nature of this rule in interesting and creative ways)
- The combat chart is kinda messy and incomplete imho, but is made right by the fact that the game leaves a lot of freedom to characters and the Game Master too, both for roleplaying instead of searching lost rules in some shady index rulebook and dealing with entire situations with pure logic and creativity instead a bunch of limiting mechanics.

What i like most is random generation actually (which is not contemplated by the game), and consequently dealing with those powers the best way you can to make them work together, as any superhero would do.
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2015 at 12:37am by Razor_Fangs »  

Since the media took over more and more aggressively the american lifestyle, people started to forget about us and our deeds, until we became legends, pure fantasy in their collective imagination...

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #15 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
What do you mean by saying that random generation "is not contemplated by the game", Razor?

I would say that it very much is intended that PCs are rolled up randomly.

IP Logged

Shadow-Dragon15
Sidekick

Reply #16 - Dec 12th, 2015 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Oct 29th, 2015 at 6:23pm:
What do you mean by saying that random generation "is not contemplated by the game", Razor?

I would say that it very much is intended that PCs are rolled up randomly.

Perhaps he meant with regards to the actual ability scores of the PC's. The Power Tables are all keyed to random dice rolls and there are rules for randomly generating NPC's so I think it's quite right to say V&V has random generation as part of its "DNA" (although the GM is always free to throw it out if they want).

Shadowdragon
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2015 at 6:01pm by Shadow-Dragon15 »  

IP Logged

>