Starfire    
  5 (23.8%)
Terra    
  0 (0.0%)
Wonder Girl    
  1 (4.8%)

Total votes: 21
« Created by: Baretta on: Feb 14th, 2015 at 2:10pm »
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Favorite New Teen Titan (Read 11051 times)
Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Favorite New Teen Titan
Feb 14th, 2015 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
This poll sticks with the eight Titans who appeared in Different Worlds RPG magazine about three decades ago.

No offense intended to fans of Aqualad, Speedy, Lilith, and the rest.  Smiley

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Re: Favorite New Teen Titan
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2015 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Wow, this is a tough one!  I'll see what DSumner says first!

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2015 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
While I'm not a hater, I'm also not a huge Batman fan. On the other hand I am a huge Dick Grayson aka Nightwing fan .... And this is my long winded way of saying Robin barely got the nod over my other two favorites .... Donna and Wally.
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2015 at 11:05pm by Ranger »  

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2015 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
I went with Robin.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 5:23am
Print Post  
Yeah, I was leaning towards Robin.  But Starfire makes a better centerfold!  And Wondy, and Raven...

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #5 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Cyborg was he moan original and interesting Personality

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2015 at 3:18am
Print Post  
I selected Cyborg because I loved his devices and bionics, but Changling was the guy I related to the most because he kept talking about Starfire's boobs.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2015 at 3:24am
Print Post  
Here's one: Why is Cyborg a part of the Justice League? Why did he graduate to the big leagues but the rest didn't?

Part of me says you don't need Robin if you've got Batman. You don't need Wonder Girl if you've got Wonder Woman. Why Aqualad if you've got Aquaman, or Kid Flash when you've got Flash.

But the more jaded part of me says that Justice League was just too white and they needed to alter their palette just a little bit to reflect the world of their readers. Or at least, that's what a focus group told them.

Smiley

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2015 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Ramble wrote on Feb 19th, 2015 at 3:18am:
... but Changling was the guy I related to the most because he kept talking about Starfire's boobs.

RAMBLE

Seconded.

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2015 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Ramble wrote on Feb 19th, 2015 at 3:24am:
Here's one: Why is Cyborg a part of the Justice League? Why did he graduate to the big leagues but the rest didn't?

Part of me says you don't need Robin if you've got Batman. You don't need Wonder Girl if you've got Wonder Woman. Why Aqualad if you've got Aquaman, or Kid Flash when you've got Flash.

But the more jaded part of me says that Justice League was just too white and they needed to alter their palette just a little bit to reflect the world of their readers. Or at least, that's what a focus group told them.

Smiley

RAMBLE

I think a better question would be why are they unable to create an iconic hero who can stand alongside the originals? When's the last time DC (or Marvel) created a new hero that anyone gave a poop about and actually lasted? The '70s?

Cyborg is a poor fit for the JLA; maybe Black Lightning or Vixen would be better if they need a token black character to pretend they reflect America.

Personally I enjoyed the Detroit JLA with Vibe and Vixen. Still waiting for a Latino hero to hit the big time.  Blue Beetle doesn't count as I want an original hero, not a "let's maintain this trademark" character.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #10 - Feb 21st, 2015 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Sigh...  Since DSumner is waiting me out, I went ahead and voted for Robin...

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #11 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 9:03am
Print Post  
Cyborg gives the team a true technological oriented hero that is a rare commodity in the DC universe. Sure they have all kinds of generic Hank Pym like scientist but those guys never rang true to me even as a kid in the seventies. With today's readers born bred and suckled on video games and the internet DC needed a hero that could use those types of technological plot devices in their stories. Victor fits the bill to a "T" if you will pardon the pun  Wink

I loved Vixen in JLU (hated everything about JL Detroit though)
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2015 at 9:06am by Ranger »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #12 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Raven. Always liked Raven the best.

Darkness. Tortured soul. All that Good stuff.

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #13 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Feb 22nd, 2015 at 9:03am:
Cyborg gives the team a true technological oriented hero that is a rare commodity in the DC universe. Sure they have all kinds of generic Hank Pym like scientist but those guys never rang true to me even as a kid in the seventies. With today's readers born bred and suckled on video games and the internet DC needed a hero that could use those types of technological plot devices in their stories. Victor fits the bill to a "T" if you will pardon the pun  Wink

I loved Vixen in JLU (hated everything about JL Detroit though)

I've always felt this is the mistake modern comics writers make, and it seems to be the result of hiring comics fans as writers whereas in the past they had professional writers who just happened to work on comics: each company seems obsessed with creating analogues of the other company's characters. Marvel "needs" a Superman-type. DC "needs" an Iron Man-type. I disagree as I feel they have just muddied what makes them distinct flavors of comic books. The pervasive cynicism and gore of DC seems a poor fit with its roster of level-headed, adult, friendly, iconic heroes. Trying to retroactively introduce a Superman into the Marvel "universe" fails because (1) it's just stupid that everyone forgot he ever existed, but also (2) the beauty of Marvel is in part because there is no one central primary figure that everyone respects a la Superman in DC. Even Captain America has his detractors. At least that've how I feel about it. But especially DC's attempts to "Marvelize" are just pathetic.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #14 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
I'm not sure that's a fair analogy when talking about Cyborg however. He's always been his own character. He's always been a technologically oriented character and you really can't ignore that niche when telling stories to a sophisticated audience.

I whole heartedly agree with your basic idea though. Sentry (and Hyperion although we will forgive Hyperion as it was a different world in that day) is a blatant and piss poor super-substitute. And DC just doesn't have the history to pull off the characterization that Marvel has excelled at over the decades. Unfortunately it's biting them in but also because they themselves have become too convoluted.

Each a victim of their own success in their own areas.

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #15 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Feb 22nd, 2015 at 5:42pm:
I'm not sure that's a fair analogy when talking about Cyborg however. He's always been his own character. He's always been a technologically oriented character and you really can't ignore that niche when telling stories to a sophisticated audience.

I whole heartedly agree with your basic idea though. Sentry (and Hyperion although we will forgive Hyperion as it was a different world in that day) is a blatant and piss poor super-substitute. And DC just doesn't have the history to pull off the characterization that Marvel has excelled at over the decades. Unfortunately it's biting them in but also because they themselves have become too convoluted.

To be clear, I wasn't talking about Cyborg at all.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #16 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Ramble wrote on Feb 19th, 2015 at 3:24am:

Smiley

RAMBLE

You hit the nail on the head. I'm a cyborg fan, but he seems shoe horned into the justice league, and just doesn't seem to "fit" the group dynamic. If they wanted a "black face" in the league, I'd have preferred Black Lightning or Vixen, as they're both fun characters, and have a history (even if itwas pre-Nu52) with the League.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #17 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
This certainly points to the dearth of major black super heroes at DC.

Meanwhile over at Marvel in the mid-'80s, both the X-Men and the Avengers were led by black women. Plus you had Black Panther, Power Man, Rhodey Iron Man, etc.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #18 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 4:13pm:

Meanwhile over at Marvel in the mid-'80s, both the X-Men and the Avengers were led by black women. Plus you had Black Panther, Power Man, Rhodey Iron Man, etc.

There are plenty of black characters at DC, John Stewart, Steel, Vixen, and Black Lightning are just a few who have history with the JL. The new Aqualad (not the one from the YJ cartoon, but the one introduced in Blackest Night) is a perfect example of a cool character, who also just happened to be black.

Him being black isn't what defined him, but it did play a factor in his back story. Unlike several other minority characters introduced into the DCU (like the new Atom, Question, or Spectre, his introduction into his roll as a DC legacy character didn't feel forced.

Unfortunately it looks like the introduction of the Nu52 has wiped the character out of existence, at least for the time being. Which sucks as DC had shown pieces of preview artwork where it appeared that he, along with the young Indian heroine, Solstice (another character totally screwed over in the Nu52) were going to be joining the ranks of the Titans.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Reply #19 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
African-American or Black heroes should outnumber the green and blue heroes.

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #20 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 12:20am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 4:48pm:

There are plenty of black characters at DC, John Stewart, Steel, Vixen, and Black Lightning are just a few who have history with the JL. The new Aqualad (not the one from the YJ cartoon, but the one introduced in Blackest Night) is a perfect example of a cool character, who also just happened to be black.

Him being black isn't what defined him, but it did play a factor in his back story. Unlike several other minority characters introduced into the DCU (like the new Atom, Question, or Spectre, his introduction into his roll as a DC legacy character didn't feel forced.

Unfortunately it looks like the introduction of the Nu52 has wiped the character out of existence, at least for the time being. Which sucks as DC had shown pieces of preview artwork where it appeared that he, along with the young Indian heroine, Solstice (another character totally screwed over in the Nu52) were going to be joining the ranks of the Titans.

I said "major." Never heard of Steel except for the '70s version and he wasn't black (or any good forthat matter).  Do Vixen or Black Lightning have their own comics? Or John Stewart? I know BL and John Stewart did briefly/temporarily in the '70s and early '80s, respectively.

I don't know if I would consider any version of Aqualad a "major" character, but that also loops back around to my Earlier commenT about wanting an original character rather than just let's-protect-the-trademark-and-hey-we'll-make-this-Aqualad/Green Lantern/Blue Beetle-ethnic-it'll-only-be-temporary-anyway.

But I haven't read a DC comic book aside from Batman '66 since the late '80s or early '90s so I can't really say what they're up to now. Sounds pretty uninspired if they're still trotting out "new" characters like Aqualad and Speedy and the gang with new paint jobs.

Still waiting on a Latino hero with his own comic book. Last one I remember was El Diablo.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #21 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Feb 22nd, 2015 at 5:44pm:
Ranger wrote on Feb 22nd, 2015 at 5:42pm:

To be clear, I wasn't talking about Cyborg at all.

Wink In that case never mind  Wink

IP Logged

proditorcappela
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #22 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 8:57am
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Feb 24th, 2015 at 12:20am:
dsumner wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 4:48pm:

I said "major." Never heard of Steel except for the '70s version and he wasn't black (or any good forthat matter).  Do Vixen or Black Lightning have their own comics? Or John Stewart? I know BL and John Stewart did briefly/temporarily in the '70s and early '80s, respectively.

I don't know if I would consider any version of Aqualad a "major" character, but that also loops back around to my Earlier commenT about wanting an original character rather than just let's-protect-the-trademark-and-hey-we'll-make-this-Aqualad/Green Lantern/Blue Beetle-ethnic-it'll-only-be-temporary-anyway.

But I haven't read a DC comic book aside from Batman '66 since the late '80s or early '90s so I can't really say what they're up to now. Sounds pretty uninspired if they're still trotting out "new" characters like Aqualad and Speedy and the gang with new paint jobs.

Still waiting on a Latino hero with his own comic book. Last one I remember was El Diablo.

I know you're not a fan of the retread characters, but the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle (Pre-nu52, I haven't read the new one) was really excellent. I was pretty much determined to straight up hate the book, but I got a copy of the first TPB for like 5 bucks, and I was pretty much hooked after that.

Jaime is a cool character, and the use of supporting cast really harkens back to early Spider-man. They also do something you rarely ever see in comics; they actually SUPPORT him! I know, amazing concept, right?

The book was pretty much doomed to fail, even though the guy who shaped the modern Ted Kord Blue Beetle (Keith Giffen) did the initial writing and plotted the entire run of the book, and gave it his blessing. No one really wanted to replace Ted (me included) and by the time people were figuring out how good the book was, it was already cancelled.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #23 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 11:54am
Print Post  
More important than the character's ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, etc... is the character. You can make all the "minority" heroes you want, but if they are just cardboard cut-outs of "Ethnicity X" then the book is doomed. i never saw Storm or John Stewart as a Black Heroes, or Psylocke as an Asian-looking Hero, or Hawkgirl as a Female Hero, or Superman as a White Hero. They are all just Interesting characters I want to read about.

As the pool of writers and artists becomes more diverse, so shall the characters, as long as they are worth reading about. Personally, I don't give a crap about the ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, etc... of a "hero", I just want he/she/it/them/they to be an interesting hero with powers and flaws, and good days and bad days.

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #24 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Easy to say if the vast majority of the characters look like you.

As for Keith Giffen: eff that guy, he ruined the Blue Beetle and turned him into a philosophy-free unfunny self-referential joke in the pages of the '80s JLA revival. His "blessing" counts for nothing for me. He was also party to that awful Defenders miniseries a while back where everyone was a one-note joke.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #25 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Apr 8th, 2015 at 2:06pm:

I dunno... there have been plenty of dreadful comics about white dudes. I do spend a lot of time watching anime as well, it's not all white and still has a gigantic following. One of the more interesting facets of anime is that the creators don't seem to give a lot of thought to the ethnicity of the character, they just write a good character and sort of "paint to match".

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #26 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Apr 8th, 2015 at 2:06pm:

Yeah, I'm with Ironnerd.  I don't think my enjoyment of characters has anything to do with ethnicity.  It's compelling and interesting characters we like.  I'm a fan of the Black Panther, for example, despite the fact that I'm white.  And my favorite comic book character - Nightcrawler - most definitely doesn't look anything like me!  Cheesy

IP Logged

StrikeForce
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #27 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
I went with Robin, but it was incredibly close. All of the heroes are great. My favorite dynamic was the friendship between Cyborg and Changeling.  Smiley

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #28 - Jun 25th, 2022 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
StrikeForce wrote on Jun 11th, 2020 at 2:37pm:
I went with Robin, but it was incredibly close. All of the heroes are great. My favorite dynamic was the friendship between Cyborg and Changeling.  Smiley

This!  The most unlikely friendship (but logical friendship) I've seen in a superhero team!  There was NO WAY that Cyborg would put up with Changeling unless he related to Changeling!  Oh, my goodness!  A "match made in Heaven!"

IP Logged

>