Normal Topic New Power: Second Wind (Read 1940 times)
THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

New Power: Second Wind
Feb 15th, 2015 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Either a Body Power or possibly Will Power Type B

Once a day the character can regain up to half their original total Hit Points and Full Power

Example: Commander USA is having a tough time against a half dozen Agents of Terror Force. Commander USA original Hits are 50 and Power of 100. He is currently down to 7 Hits and 25 power when his second wind kicks in.

He boosts up to 25 Hits and 100 Power.

If this seems too much adjust as needed or if it seems too "Set" you can go with rolling percentile dice to see how much the character would regain instead.

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Re: New Power: Second Wind
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Seems really powerful.  Maybe if it had a duration, like E turns later the HP & Power bump fades away.  Like an adrenalin rush.  If it results in a negative hp, you fall unconscious. 

Instead of boosting TO half hp and power, you boost BY 25 hits and 100 power.  So in the example he'd be at 32 hp and 125 power.

Also, it should be a power that can only be used if the hero is below 50% hp or power.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Sure. Edit however you want. It's an idea so it's worth being played around with.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
I've been playing some D&D lately, and this is very similar to an effect there (which I really like).  Reminds me very much of the surges in 4th Edition, and the 5th Edition Fighter I just played had a similar ability.

There's also a similar mechanic (I think called the same thing) in Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, though to do so in that game the player has to put a die in the Doom Pool (the resource the GM uses).  Not sure of a way to translate that to V&V.

In any event, I like the idea!  Cool

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2015 at 10:18am
Print Post  
I really like this and think it is something the game is missing in its original form.  This would mimic the way comic book heroes actually behave when in a fight, getting the snot kicked out of them and then coming back with a vengeance. Pulling up that "inner reserve" to defeat a villain is what a hero does, right?

I would probably assign a cost to it, like halving the healing rate if used and I like Phrennzy's idea of a set duration. That lets the players know it has set limits so it does not get abused. I could see this making some characters a little reckless, knowing they have a reserve in the bank, just in case.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 1:23am
Print Post  
I think this is a great idea.  Cool power.

When either score hits zero, next between turns phase you get half your power or hits back.

Next time you go to zero, you get a fourth,  then a fifth...etc..   

Such a dramatic power.

"Why won't you just stay down!?"

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
It kind of reminded me of every time a Hero is on the verge of defeat and the Villain is Monologueing about how the defeat will cause the destruction of New York.

The battered and bruised Hero simply says "No" and goes on fighting

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #7 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
aka 'the John McClane Rule'.

IP Logged

>