Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) V&V 3.0 (Read 2385 times)
Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

V&V 3.0
Feb 16th, 2015 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
So I was looking at the Monkey House Games site and the last update about v&V 3.0 seems to be nearly three years old. I'm kinda curious: anybody have any info on this? There was so much drama about getting the rights back for V&V but it seems like they've done nothing with the game. Maybe I missed something?

I doubt I'll switch from 2nd Ed. but I'd probably buy a copy of 3rd just to see what it's like. As I did with "2.1" or whatever they called it.

IP Logged

Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Re: V&V 3.0
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
By the time 3.0 comes out, it will be time for 4.0  Smiley

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
I think Jeff Dee just wanted to take his ball and go home.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
From what I understand, they're waiting until the court case (all appeals) are totally done (possibly this year?) before moving forward.

If you look at the most recent topics on the Monkey House Games page, you'll see a thread called SAVE Issues, which are summaries of an actual 3.0 game (playtest) in which Jeff Dee is a player.  There's a bunch of links to character sheets (including one vehicle) posted as well.

IP Logged

Tempest
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
What Majestic said.  In addition to the thread that he indicates above, there was also one titled "Can you believe it's been three years...?" or something like that, wondering about how time could have passed so quickly between the release of 2.1 in 2010 and now (meaning last year).  Jeff indicated directly that he and Jack are in the process of awaiting the slow glacial drip erosion of the courts to pull through the FGU business before the two of them can get 3.0 out into the world with no further interference, corporate, legal or otherwise.

I have very strong hopes for the revised system, but still am perfectly happy to keep moving along with 2.0/2.1 for however long it takes.  The system is more than strong enough, within discussed parameters, to accommodate virtually limitless house rules that fit almost any liking - I can't identify any other superhero RPG that fits that criteria.

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Cool. I was just wondering if they were still working on the game. Sounds like they are. 

Anyone ever play LIVING LEGENDS? They discuss it a little on the MHG site but how does it compare/contrast with V&V?

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Living Legends is a point-based system.  I don't think very many people liked it.  I made fun of it and after that Jeff started posting Living Legends stats in all his adventures.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
This Topic was moved here from Hero Talk [move by] John.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #8 - Feb 17th, 2015 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Feb 16th, 2015 at 7:37pm:
Anyone ever play LIVING LEGENDS? They discuss it a little on the MHG site but how does it compare/contrast with V&V?

I did.  I was a playtester for it, and played a campaign for a few years.

It was an okay system, but I always felt it didn't capture that je ne sais quoi that V&V has/had.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2015 at 2:48am
Print Post  
Both Majestic an I have had a peak at an initial draft of 3.0, and it's been changed several times since then. I'm interested in checking out the final product just to see how they're going to integrate the old with the new, and because I just crazy like that.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #10 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 9:11am
Print Post  
I have a sneaky feeling from what I saw and am hearing it's going to be a more sophisticated game mechanic than the original system but still less complicated than most of today's RPGs, and considering the creative minds at the core are also middle aged men who love of comics was born in the Silver and Bronze Age likely to still replicate the "feel" we are looking for.

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

>