Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) X-Men: Apocalypse (Read 2378 times)
Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

X-Men: Apocalypse
Jul 17th, 2015 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
I couldn't seem to find a dedicated thread for this movie.  Here's information regarding "Days of Future Past:"
http://www.villainsandvigilantesforum.com/public_html/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=...

And here's new information about Apocalypse:
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/heres-the-first-photo-of-the-god-like-villain-12425...

Here's the First Photo of Oscar Isaac as the God-like Villain of 'X-Men: Apocalypse'

Gwynne Watkins
July‎ ‎16‎, ‎2015

We’ve heard all about the awesome powers of new X-Men villain Apocalypse — and now, we’re getting our first look at Oscar Isaac’s giant blue baddie. Isaac makes his costumed debut on the cover of the new issue of Entertainment Weekly, alongside X-Men: Apocalypse co-stars Olivia Munn (joining the team for this film as telepathic ninja Psylocke) and Michael Fassbender (reprising his role as mutant leader Magneto). Check out the photo above.

Described by actor Isaac as “the first mutant,” Apocalypse is an ancient, god-like Egyptian mutant who has taken it upon himself to destroy civilizations he deems unworthy of existing. In X-Men: Apocalypse, he is hellbent on bringing the 1980s to an early end — and thanks to the EW cover story, we have some new details about how the story unfolds. The new film takes place 10 years after the events of X-Men: Days of Future Past (which was set in 1973, except for the scenes that occurred in the future). That’s when Apocalypse awakes from a centuries-long slumber.

“It’s a chaotic world of conflict and war and destruction,” director Brian Singer tells the magazine. “It’s one giant civilization that now requires one giant culling. That’s why he needs ­special assistants in this process.”

The “special assistants” Apocalypse recruits include a young Storm (Alexandra Shipp), Psylocke, and most significantly, Erik, a.k.a. Magneto, whose attempt at reforming and living a “normal” life has recently ended in tragedy.

Elsewhere in the mutant universe, Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) is teaching his students to control their powers at Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters. (EW doesn’t specify, but these students are likely to include a young Jean Grey, played by Sophie Turner, and Cyclops, played by Tye Sheridan.) When his old friend Raven, a.k.a Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence) learns about Apocalypse’s agenda, she reunites with the professor — and urges him to help save the world (and rescue their estranged friend Erik from his own self-destruction).

By introducing younger versions of characters from the original X-Men trilogy, X-Men: Apocalypse sets the stage for a new generation to take over the franchise. But Singer assures fans that the current cast will get the send-off they deserve.

“This is kind of the introduction to [the young mutants],” says Singer, who directed three previous X-Men films. “At the same time, it has concluding aspects of those previous stories.”

Read more of the EW story here, and click here for more cast photos. X-Men: Apocalypse opens in theaters on May 27, 2016.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Re: X-Men: Apocalypse
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2016 at 5:18am
Print Post  
So no one has seen the new X-Men movie yet, I take it?  This seems to be the least anticipated X-Men, yet!

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2016 at 6:30am
Print Post  
I've seen it and I liked it.. it was not a bad movie at all.  I miss the witty repartee so common in the Disney Marvel Studios films.. but that said each of the characters had a role and a purpose and played their parts well with meaninful dialogue... the only one I feel who was somewhat shorted by the script was Nightcrawler... he didn't say much.

To note.. this movie totally SCREWS the continuuity of the first X-Men movie..or even the second.  They have done a Star Trek re-imagining of the past and it has permanently altered any established cannon movies 1 and 2.. they cannot happen the way they did anymore. {Shrug}... if they resign these actors for another movie it will be interesting to see where they take things in the 90's?

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - May 31st, 2016 at 11:54am
Print Post  
I thought it was great!  I didn't realize it screwed the continuity of the first two (couldn't the characters from this one - Cyclops, Jean, Storm - be younger versions of the same characters from 1 and 2?), but they've definitely retconned the third (I loved the line about the Star Wars films, and how the third movie always sucks!)

Totally agree about Nightcrawler; his powers were fun, but the actor wasn't given many lines.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #4 - May 31st, 2016 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
According to this interview with the two guys running the franchise (Bryan Singer and Simon Kinberg), X1, 2, and 3 are erased...or are they?

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - May 31st, 2016 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
NOTE:  THERE IS ONLY *ONE* SNEAK PEAK AT THE END OF THE MOVIE.  If you have to use the restroom, it's at the VERY END of the credits.  And I *do* mean VERY END.  You could probably take a couple of days vacation and come back in time to see it.

I enjoyed the "Public Service Announcement" by Alexandra Shipp (Ororo Munroe/Storm) at the beginning.

Nightcrawler didn't speak much, but I didn't notice any kind of "shortage" in his lines.  Olivia Munn was shorted more than the traumatized circus freak who probably doesn't talk to anyone and doesn't like being around people.

I suspect the "erasure" of the original X-Men movies can be justified by all the mucking around in time they've been doing.

*Still* not as good as the animated series version!  Ha!  Seriously, though, I really enjoyed it.  I like the way they did Apocalypse: mutey-looking without being silly-looking.  And his voice!  Good grief!  Truly a man driven mad by his god-like powers!

Sigh...  Xavier's bald again.  And again.  And again.  Just stop.  If they're going to keep doing that, then I *DEMAND* the yellow and blue costume for Wolverine!

SPOILER!  SPOILER!  SPOILER!!  STOP READING!!!!!  SKIP THE REST!!!!

Yes, that's Stan Lee's real wife:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1643074/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t55

This video is *NOT* kind at all:
http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/31/11821390/xmen-apocalypse-review-spoilers-discu...

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - May 31st, 2016 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Oh, btw:  Since they did a X-Men/Star Trek crossover in the comics (several times,) when are they going to do it in the movies?

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #7 - May 31st, 2016 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on May 31st, 2016 at 11:54am:
I thought it was great!  I didn't realize it screwed the continuity of the first two (couldn't the characters from this one - Cyclops, Jean, Storm - be younger versions of the same characters from 1 and 2?), but they've definitely retconned the third (I loved the line about the Star Wars films, and how the third movie always sucks!)

Totally agree about Nightcrawler; his powers were fun, but the actor wasn't given many lines.

1. Nightcrawler doesn't even show up until the 2nd original X-Men Movie ... and Charles did not know him, as he was perplexed about him vanishing and reappearing far distances apart...  there is no way Prof X would not know of Kurt Wagner now!

2. I guess no one really cares that Angel being dead makes his appearance in the Third X-Men movie impossible.. who cares that movie sucked.

I agree this depiction of Apocalypse was really good.  In the comics he was always kinda thuggish.. he talked big about "Only the strong are worthy to survive".. but he always resorted to just beating poeple who disagreed with him down.. kinda thuggish in my opinion and only reiterating the same old tired philosophical point of view of Magneto.  In the movie he was more spiritual and truly believed in his own divinity.. it was a subtle but appropriate change in his point of view that sold it on-screen.  Though as all villains in the end prove to be he was a class 'A' megalomaniac and hypocrite.. calling all mutants his children but not even trying to convince Quicksilver to side with him.. "just kill him..cause he annoyed me."  Not much of a believer in his own 'the strong should survive'.. bull he kept spouting~ by which he meant unless they get in my way; but it was all in keeping with his power-mad personality from the comics!
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2016 at 9:04pm by Thunderbolt »  

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #8 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 12:11am
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on May 31st, 2016 at 5:57pm:
Oh, btw:  Since they did a X-Men/Star Trek crossover in the comics (several times,) when are they going to do it in the movies?

Not just the comics; I just found out there was also a crossover novelShocked
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2016 at 12:12am by Majestic »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #9 - Apr 2nd, 2017 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Finally saw this. Not as bad as people said.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #10 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 6:10pm:
Finally saw this. Not as bad as people said.

Yay!  I thought so, too!  I *still* want the ORIGINAL yellow-and-blue costume for Wolverine, though!

IP Logged

>