Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sentinels Issue Summaries (Read 13814 times)
Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Sentinels Issue Summaries
Jul 29th, 2015 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Been having the itch to run supers more lately, so I've fired up the long-running Guardians campaign.  Though instead of running with the big boys (the team itself), instead I've been running some lower level supers, who've started up their own West Coast team!

I ran on consecutive nights, and this will now make the fourth "comic book" in the 25+ year campaign.  Besides the 36 issues of Justice Force (that started it all back in the early 90s) and Exploits (more solo tales and issues that run parallel to the Guardians, but don't fit into the main title), there's now the Sentinels as well.

#1 – The Horns of Hades – San Francisco city manager Jeremy Braddock encourages Psilight to form a team in the Bay Area, and the city donates a closed down fire station in the Tenderloin neighborhood for use as a base.  He calls in Chronovator and Contagion, and new superhero Rejuvenator offers his services as well.  Psilight’s contact Miles Jefferies texts him, alerting him that the Horns of Hades biker gang, at the Lucky 13 bar, are the ones responsible for the disappearance of prosecutor Conner Mattheson.  Psilight races to the biker bar by foot while the other three fly in Chronovator’s ship, the L’Engle.  Psilight finds out little by questioning patrons, so Rejuvenator starts a bar fight by blasting a man.  The ten men and women of the Horns of Hades attack the heroes with knives and chains, but the adventurers make quick work of them all.  Suddenly Rejuvenator becomes accusatory and shoots Psilight, so Contagion swiftly renders him unconscious.  Chronovator and Psilight take the gang’s leader, Anglo, out behind the building, and Chronovator creates a portal, threatening to strand him in prehistoric times.  The biker immediately spills, revealing that his group didn’t take the man, but that they were asked to do so by the supervillain Mammoth, who is holed up at a home in Pacific Heights.  Psilight confronts Rejuvenator, who explains that he inadvertently switches between two personalities.  The teammates pledge to try to work past their differences.
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2015 at 4:56pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Re: Sentinels Issue Summaries
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Yesterday we continued the story, and actually ended up playing for about 5-6 hours (lots of good role-playing!).  This was actually, in the 33 years I've been playing V&V, the first time used/seen Mammoth in play, too!

#2 – Mammoth Problems – After a short rest, the quartet fly in the L’Engle to the multi-story home in the north part of the city.  They make their way inside, where they are assaulted by Chris Temba, a man amped up on the drug “body”.  Meanwhile, Contagion races upstairs and finds Mammoth and his right-hand man “Heater” Jenkins with captive prosecutor Mattheson; he quickly downs both criminals.  The others take down Temba and move to the upper floor, where Jenkins awakes.  Contagion misses with a neurotoxin attack, and it strikes Rejuvenator, knocking him out.  Mammoth and Jenkins each come to numerous times, only to be repeatedly dropped again by the heroes.  Psilight gets Mattheson to safety outside.  When Rejuvenator wakes up, he is confused and belligerent, and doesn’t recognize his companions.  Chronovator attacks him, and in response, believing that he is on the opposing side of the conflict, Rejuvenator wakes up Mammoth.  The villain is taken out again, and Rejuvenator leaps out the upper window and hides nearby.  Chronovator contacts F.I.S.H., and when their agents and police arrive there is much confusion, as Rejuvenator describes his teammates as supervillains.  The group debriefs at a local F.I.S.H. office, and the agency suspends Rejuvenator’s license; he also agrees to undergo further testing.
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2015 at 4:57pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2015 at 1:14am
Print Post  
Love it. 

It is tradition in our group that the first villain any new player or hero fights is Mammoth and Heater Jenkins.  We originally only had the rulebook, and they were the only villains we had. 

It's a great lesson for new players as well.  Do you take out Heater, who is a one shot knockout, or focus on Mammoth and take the gunshots from Heater. 

I think in this current campaign they'll return, Mammoth having undergone power enhancement and Heater gaining a new, better gun. 

I love reading your little summations.  It's easy to mine for my own game, and your experience in crafting the adventures shows.  Thanks for posting!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2015 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Phrennzy!  When Contagion's player had him run upstairs, he had to make that instant choice.  I figured for sure he'd go for the big, hairy guy (I didn't even use counters at that point, as the other players didn't know what was going on away from them), but he chose the guy with the gun. Smiley

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2015 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Our heroes enter the Lucky 13 (an actual biker bar in San Francisco):

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #5 - Jul 30th, 2015 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
The PCs queried some of the Horns of Hades gang members at a table in the back.  It should be noted that most of those bikes parked outside were Harleys (or, if you like Mystery Men, "Harley-compatibles") Wink

« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2015 at 8:02pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Jul 30th, 2015 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
It didn't take long, once the fight started, for the thugs and gang members to be taken out.  The last gal started to go for her gun, but decided to surrender instead.

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #7 - Jul 30th, 2015 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Shocked

You...you have a grid map but drew the map askew to the grid...what kind of monster are you?

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #8 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
I know.  My CDO (I like to put them in the proper alphabetical order) hardly allowed me to do so.  Grin

The reason I did it that way was because that was how it came up on Google Maps (so the top of the map was true North and all).

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #9 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
While Contagion (shrunken to 1/4" tall) spied on the amped-up thug inside and Psilight and Rejuvenator waited outside the door, Chronovator used Non-Corporealness to pass right through into the kitchen, where she confronted Temba.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #10 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Tenba raced over and grabbed a baseball bat, which Psilight shattered, turning it into a small club.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #11 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Seeing that Tenba was in good hands (facing the other three), Contagion (still small) raced upstairs, where he found the seated kidnapped prosecutor as well as Mammoth and 'Heater' Jenkins.

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #12 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
"John Bystander the Fourth for the prosecution, your honor."  LMAO

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #13 - Aug 2nd, 2015 at 5:47am
Print Post  
LOL!  Grin

Mammoth wakes up again!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #14 - Aug 2nd, 2015 at 5:48am
Print Post  
At least briefly, both Jenkins and Mammoth were up, though all Heater could do was try to wake up Mammoth again (when he was KOd again), before he too took another dirt nap!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #15 - Aug 2nd, 2015 at 5:51am
Print Post  
The wrap-up outside, with F.I.S.H. and the police on scene.  Fortunately, the prosecutor was there to vouch for Psilight and the others, since Rejuvenator fingered his teammates as supervillains!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #16 - Nov 29th, 2015 at 6:13am
Print Post  
We played this one awhile ago (more than a month), but I hadn't got around to updating the pictures.

#3 – Welcoming Party – Hundreds gather at Union Square as the Sentinels hold a press conference to explain their intent to protect San Francisco.  Rejuvenator is called away right before the monstrous Gargan makes his way through the crowd toward the stage.  A young man intercepts the brute, then transforms into the new superhero Raijin.  Battle is soon joined, with Psilight and Raijin slugging it out with powerful villains Gargan and Talus Baum.  After a massive battle, Talus Baum reveals that their attack was a message from someone unknown, and that the city is contested territory.  They exit the area with Raijin unconscious and Psilight barely able to stand.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #17 - Nov 29th, 2015 at 6:13am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #18 - Nov 29th, 2015 at 6:15am
Print Post  
Though eagle-eyed observers will note Rejuvenator on the dais, my son decided not to play, so we retconnned that and had him depart just before the action.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #19 - Nov 29th, 2015 at 6:15am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #20 - Nov 29th, 2015 at 6:16am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #21 - Nov 29th, 2015 at 6:16am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #22 - Nov 29th, 2015 at 6:17am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #23 - Jan 6th, 2016 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
This next issue we played in two parts.  The first was a couple of months ago, and then we played for a few hours and finished it off last night.

#4 – The Hero Within - Chronovator, Rejuvenator, Raijin, and Psilight respond via the L’Engle to a break-in at a Medynamics warehouse south of San Francisco.  They attempt to apprehend intruder Omega Girl, but the powerful paranormal escapes with some stolen items.  The team follows her trail north in the L’Engle into the Dogpatch neighborhood, where they spot black-clad operatives guarding a building.  They subdue a number of Tic-Tac-Toe agents, then blast their way into the abandoned warehouse the men were protecting.  Inside they interrupt a meeting between Omega Girl and Mindlynx, flanked by two more agents.  Battle is joined, and the vigilantes take down everyone inside.  Later, they hear that Omega Girl claims to be a former police officer forced to work for the research group that gave her superpowers.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2016 at 3:34am by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #24 - Feb 21st, 2016 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Finally downloaded pictures off of my phone to the computer.  Here's a few images of that last adventure ("The Hero Within").  Firstly the four PCs:

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #25 - Feb 21st, 2016 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
The misunderstood heroine, Omega Girl.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #26 - Feb 21st, 2016 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Some wreckage in the warehouse as they fight her:

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #27 - Feb 21st, 2016 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
They kept knocking her back into tons of fallen-down shelving.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #28 - Feb 21st, 2016 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
One last pic of Omega Girl amongst the massive amount of debris.

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #29 - Feb 22nd, 2016 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
I love your counters.  The font is perfect.

IP Logged

Harkker
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #30 - Feb 23rd, 2016 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Yes! You have some of the best Chits I have ever seen!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #31 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Thanks, all! Smiley

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #32 - May 27th, 2016 at 11:53am
Print Post  
I was on a staycation last week, so I took the opportunity to run dsumner's "Rising Sun".  I'll post some pictures later on.

On the first day I ran the first half with three players:

#5 – Like a Thief in the Night – After the sabotage of numerous industrial facilities on the West Coast by radical environmentalists from the E.P.F. (Environmental Protection Front), authorities receive a tip from a reliable informant on where they will strike next.  With paranormals apparently involved, they ask the Sentinels to be ready for them.  Raijin, Psilight, and a visiting Wraith ambush and take down Geist, Riot, and a half-dozen masked E.P.F. members as they assault an S.A.C.C. (Sino-American Chemical Corporation) shipping terminal south of San Francisco.  Afterwards Lazarus Stone, the president and CEO of S.A.C.C.’s parent company, Titan Industries, makes the most of a live press conference with lots of media attention, where he rewards the three heroes with a large check to the charity of their choice.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #33 - May 27th, 2016 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
The next day we continued, this time with five players.  Note that we'll still probably finish things off (as the players want to go after the two villains that escaped):

#6 – Rising Sun – Days later, while the three heroes are joined for lunch at the Pinecrest Diner by Contagion and Rejuvenator, they oversee breaking news about a major strike by supervillains on an S.A.C.C. processing plant just outside the city.  The five race to a scene straight out of a war zone.  News and police helicopters hover overhead while emergency personnel attempt to contain the situation and rescue trapped and injured plant workers.  Smoke fills the air, several chemical storage tanks burn uncontrollably, and chemicals leak and spill everywhere.  Psilight and Wraith race into the chaos and rescue civilians, while Raijin, Rejuvenator, and Contagion engage Divine Right in the gravel parking lot north of the carnage.  Raijin duels Tetsuronin while the others battle Boufuu, Inabikari, Oni, and Yamakuzure.  Wraith and Psilight join their companions, and together the vigilantes begin to get the upper hand.  When their teammates go down, Oni leaps away, and eventually Tetsuronin flees as well.  The adventurers aid police, fire, and emergency crews as they help the many casualties and extinguish the fires.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #34 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
About two weeks ago we finished off "Rising Sun" (written by dsumner) by doing the finale, on the ship as the villains flee.  We had a PC die (legitimately, which is rare in V&V), but I'd just nerfed his overpowered Paralysis Ray, and the player was eager to make a new PC anyway.

#7 – Battle at Sea – A U.S. Navy submarine and experimental military satellite provide the location of the Rising Sun’s submersible transport, the Sea Dragon, as it heads east.  F.I.S.H. flies Contagion, Psilight, and Raijin out over the Pacific Ocean, after the Sea Dragon was brought aboard the high-speed catamaran, the Daisuke.  The trio parachutes down, but Raijin and Psilight land in the water and are forced to scramble aboard near the anchor of the large boat.  They search the lower levels of the vessel and take out one crewmember.  Contagion makes his way into the secure bridge near the top, disabling the captain and first mate, then changing the ship’s course to slowly return to the States.  Unable to find the supervillains, the three make their way to the open upper deck and call out the enemy; Tetsuronin and Oni arrive soon after.  The heroes drop Oni instantly, but Tetsuronin proves difficult to defeat, parrying away most of their attacks.  Contagion is hit and sent flying overboard, soon tragically lost to the ocean depths.  Soon after Raijin is also knocked into the sea, so Psilight disengages and disables the boat’s engines.  By the time he rescues Raijin, Tetsuronin has escaped again via the Sea Dragon.

« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2017 at 2:43pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools

>