Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sentinels Issue Summaries (Read 13699 times)
Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Re: Sentinels Issue Summaries
Reply #35 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
One note about that last issue (#7): In the original, play through, the final battle was incredibly anti-climatic.

Psilight one-shotted Oni, which was fine (he was low on HP from the previous battle).  Then Contagion, as so often has happened, immediately dropped Tetsuronin with his obnoxious Paralysis attack.

I even have it spelled out in my supplemental rules how a GM should really watch out for Paralysis Ray, but - against my better judgment - I'd allowed it with this PC.  This fight was the final straw, however.  Before we replayed this final fight (right after Oni was felled), I sat down with the player and we worked out a new solution for his attack.  In most ways it remained the same, but I made it so that bigger, tougher characters had a greater chance to shrug it off.

So on our normal D&D night, we played out this final fight again.  This time it worked out much better, and more like expected.  It allowed Tetsuronin (who is actually a perfect arch-nemesis for Raijin) to get away, and being blasted way off the boat led to the death of Contagion (the player was eager to make a new PC anyway; he said the only reason he still played him was because of how "OP" he was).

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #36 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Apparently I forgot to include the adventure my son and I ran (with 3.0) at this summer's GuardianCon.  At some point I'll try to throw up some pictures.

#8 – The Freak Show – When Psilight and Raijin respond to a low-income tenement fire in Bayview, they are joined by Hotshot, Omicron, and newly arrived The Chosen.  Working separately, they rescue many people, and Psilight is able to get the sprinkler system working.  The southeast section of the building collapses, but the heroes assist in getting most civilians clear, saving scores of lives.  Psilight’s friend Dr. Grant Berns calls and tells him of a terrified patient, Jackson Paynter, who stumbled across strange technology and believes someone is after him.  Later a phone call with Paynter is cut off, so the five champions rush to the man’s upscale apartment in Presidio Heights, where they find Mammoth and many criminals.  The adventurers take down the villain, along with ‘Heater’ Jenkins, Chris Temba, and other thugs, some amped up on the drug “Body”.  The unusual tech leads them to a closed-down brewery containing a lab, sophisticated equipment, and some sort of gateway.  The group attacks and fights Lady Bloodbath, but swiftly learns it is extremely difficult to hurt the large, intelligent gorilla, Silverback, who is protected by his ally, Jelly.  Beaten back, the vigilantes grab their fallen and retreat, Silverback rationalizing his motives to The Chosen before they depart.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #37 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 6:27am
Print Post  
Some pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/pHOIX

This first one is after the heroes first arrive at the upscale apartments, where some thugs wait outside.  The PCs stayed focused and ignored the bait of these felons, rushing inside and upstairs.
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2017 at 6:28am by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #38 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Hey Paul,

I got locked out from this site again; I think because I've linked to pictures on Imgur.  Not that Photobucket is no longer an option, do you have a suggestion for a site to use to host pictures?

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #39 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
I dont think that would be an issue. I'll have to take  a look and see if there is some sort of setting messing with that.

In the mean time, if it's one photo it's best to just attach it to your post and it will automatically create a nice thumbnail for immediate viewing in your post.

**Update** I am not seeing you on the ban list and your account is deemed active so I'm not really sure what happened here. I can also see the link to your image and the image link works.  I didn't see any settings about outside links to images.  The only thing I can think is that maybe the firewall was detecting a script coming in from imgur (which happens with photobucket) and blocked it and temp banned your IP.

« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2017 at 2:55pm by Paul »  

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #40 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Hmm, strange.  I figured you'd had to reset my account.  I wasn't able to log in from home using different devices, so it must have been my ip that was temporarily banned.

Thanks for the tip.  I'll try just attaching individual photos, and see how that works.
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2017 at 2:19pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #41 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Ok cool. And you should be able to attach more than one image, I think up to like 5 maybe. So below the reply box you will see the attachment box where you can choose a file. To the left of that you will see the word "Attachments" with a drop down arrow next to it. If you hit that arrow it will add another attachment box, which you can do up to 5 times.

If you need me to up the number of attachments let me know.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #42 - Dec 20th, 2017 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
That should be great.  I'll try tonight.  Thanks!

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #43 - Dec 20th, 2017 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Store your avatar image locally as well. Seems to be a dead link or maybe on imgur.

« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2017 at 3:24pm by Paul »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #44 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Will do.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #45 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Paul, I've tried, but I'm unable to log in to this site from home.

It gives me 404 error messages.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #46 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Do you know your IP address at home? Otherwise maybe clear your cache and make sure you are logging into the https and not http site.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #47 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Dec 22nd, 2017 at 3:17pm:
Do you know your IP address at home? Otherwise maybe clear your cache and make sure you are logging into the https and not http site.

I'll try to get you the IP address.  I've cleared the cache and all cookies and tried resetting the computer.  Also tried using Google and other methods besides just manually inputting the address but got the same result.

I'll try getting you the IP address.  The fact I couldn't get in on my desktop and phone makes me think that's the likely problem.

Thanks for the help in getting this resolved, Paul!
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2017 at 7:40pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #48 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
I was able to see your last three IP addresses in the log and none of them are on the ban list. And in the lower right hand corner of your post you should be able to see your current IP address (just a fun fact).

Also might be your bookmarks you are using are pointing to the old site. Update them as there is a slight change in the address.

The new one is:
https://www.villainsandvigilantesforum.com/public_html/cgi-bin/vandv/YaBB.pl

which you should copy and paste into the bookmark properties etc.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #49 - Dec 23rd, 2017 at 1:54am
Print Post  
My IP address is 192.168.86.1

I'm able to connect at home only by turning off wi-fi on my phone.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #50 - Dec 23rd, 2017 at 1:57am
Print Post  
I put that address in (that you linked to, above) using my computer at home, and still got the 404 (page not found) error message.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #51 - Dec 23rd, 2017 at 2:00am
Print Post  
FYI , it doesn't show me any ip addresses in the lower right of a post. It shows a little symbol and below that symbol it says 'ip logged'.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #52 - Dec 23rd, 2017 at 8:27am
Print Post  
Ok I guess because I am admin I can see it. And that IP you gave me is your internal not your ISP assigned one.  But nevertheless you are fixed now. I found an old IP address of yours on the deeper log and it was on the list. I guess your ISP rotated it or something but you should be good to go now. Please confirm.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #53 - Dec 26th, 2017 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Will do when I get home.  Thanks for the help, Paul!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #54 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
I tried last night, but still got 404 error messages (different ones depending on the method used to get here).

I reset my computer and cleared out cache and cookies, but still no go. Sad

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #55 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Ok must be another IP in there I'm missing. Do me a favor, go to google and just type in "what is my IP" without the quotes, and it should tell you your public IP.

PM that to me, don't post it.  Thanks.

In the meatime I'll check for more prior IP's.  *update: saw one other that could be an old one but I doubt it, try it again but if it doesn't work please send me your public IP but also check your bookmark (see a few posts above for the correct link as you may have to modify if manually).  *

« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2017 at 3:13pm by Paul »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #56 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Will do.  FWIW, I never end up using bookmarks.  I usually type the address in manually.  Though in this case lately, when it doesn't connect I've been typing it into Google as well.

I'll try that for my IP.  I think I did "How to find your IP on Windows 10" or something like that last time.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #57 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 10:04am
Print Post  
The "what is my IP" in google is a known thing so I would go with that.

And you should probably create a bookmark for this site just in case something is screwey with your redirects or cache etc. Use this:

https://www.villainsandvigilantesforum.com/public_html/cgi-bin/vandv/YaBB.pl

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #58 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Once I get back here (from home), I'll try bookmarking it. 

IP address sent via PM.

I mostly go to this site from work, where we use different computers (they used to be roaming profiles), use private browsing, clear our histories and caches regularly, etc.  So I'm used to just writing out "villainsandvigilantesforum.com" in the address bar manually.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #59 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Quote:
So I'm used to just writing out "villainsandvigilantesforum.com" in the address bar manually.

Yeah I just worry that my redirects might not be auto pointing that address to the https site as opposed to the older site that's all.  And a lot of that is dependent on your DNS servers your ISP uses and how often they update etc.

« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2017 at 3:58pm by Paul »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #60 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
I was able to connect (using the address you posted above) from home, and I've linked it via a bookmark.

Thanks again for all the help, Paul!

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #61 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 12:02am
Print Post  
Awesome!!

Rockband

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #62 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
A month or two back we played the following:

#9 – Asphalt Pirates – Psilight and Raijin are joined by Wraith and Deschutes at a team building seminar downtown.  All four head back to the Sentinels’ base, where retired detective (and current cold case volunteer) Marcus Sampson warns them about increased activity in the Bay Area by the Tatsu (Dragon) Tong.  A call comes in and the heroes respond to an alley in North Beach, where the Asphalt Pirates, a gang of bikers dressed like pirates, have robbed and assaulted other criminals.  As the vigilantes make quick work of the thugs, the invisible villainess Mind Mauler, using astral projection, mind controls Deschutes and commands him to attack the others!  The trio battles the powerful Native American warrior, and eventually Psilight is able to convince their ally to cease hostilities.  Mind Mauler, having learned much about the vigilantes, returns to her physical body, where she records her observations.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2018 at 5:31pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #63 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
A few weeks ago, I ran sort of an intro to "Revenge of the Yakuza".  Being as the first part "Search for the Sensei" was run a couple of decades ago (nearly 23 years, in-game) in my campaign, I had to set up a new operation of the Tong in order for them to want revenge on the heroes.

10 – Ronin – Chronovator returns with Alchemist, a companion from Victorian England.  Psilight calls a team meeting, and the time-travelling pair join him, along with Revivicator (the alternate personality of Rejuvenator), Wraith, Raijin, and novice hero Shadowfist.  Liaison Braddock asks the team to participate in a civic parade, and the adventurers ride a float representing the Sentinels, with the L’ Engle flying above.  Police contact Sampson alerts them of a potential murder happening that night, so the group switches to civilian guises and stakes out the Kabuki Hotel in Japantown.  Armored villain Ronin enters, but is magnetically stopped by Wraith.  Ten ninjas ambush from hiding places in the ceiling and from outside, but the vigilantes swiftly take them out.  Ronin appears to be a reluctant hired assassin, but the ninjas all have a dragon tattoo on their forearm identifying them as belonging to the Tatsu Tong.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #64 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
This week we played again.  This time I combined the third and last part (that I hadn't run before) from an old V&V magazine article, called "Femmes Fatale".  That scenario was quite simple: two villainesses named Amazon and Sonic Doom rob a bank.  I used an old villain from our campaign with the same name as Amazon (taken from an online adventure by another GM), and replaced Sonic Doom with Supersonic (from the old adventure "The Great Iridium Con").  For the second part (the Mukadé), I used the three villains from "Revenge of the Yakuda" and added one of my own (giving the 3.0 abilities of a Katana that works while the character is completely Non-Corporeal and immune to physical attacks).

#11 – Femmes Fatale – Responding to a local bank robbery in the L’Engle, Chronovator, Rejuvenator, and Alchemist confront blue-skinned paranormal ColdSnap.  After initial mistrust, all soon realize they are on the same side.  The four enter the bank and incapacitate Amazon and her ocelot Kazai.  Surrounding the powerful but exhausted Supersonic, they convince her to surrender.  As they begin to call the authorities, the adventurers are besieged by Mukadé unit assassins Kamikaze, Black Tiger, Preying Mantis, and Phantom Strike; the ninja-like foes explain that the Tatsu Tong has ordered their deaths!  A furious skirmish ensues, and Supersonic makes a quick deal with Rejuvenator, agreeing to aid the vigilantes in exchange for her freedom.  The battle is tough and long, and multiple heroes are knocked out, only to be revived again moments later.  During both fights, Rejuvenator switches back and forth with his Revivicator identity numerous times.  Eventually, as law enforcement draws close, Phantom Strike and Black Tiger flee.  Unconscious Supersonic is found to be dead.  The captured Mukadé agents have the dragon tattoo on their left forearm and a centipede one on the right.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #65 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
I've been continuing with "Revenge of the Yakuza" with my Tuesday night group:

#12 – Revenge of the Yakuza – Chronovator and Alchemist leave as Raijin and Shadowfist arrive.  Unable to meet up with friends, Revivicator invites Dr. Drake Ramoray and Andrei Vladimirescu to the police station where the Mukadé operatives are interrogated.  ColdSnap stays outside and the others observe as the police question the pair; Japanese Kamikaze refuses to speak, but American Preying Mantis does not take long to talk.  The assassin squad was sent on the direct orders of the Ichiban Sama via someone named Naginata, who told them in the Tokyo offices of Hachiji Scientific.  Ramoray departs, and after the team secures power dampening equipment from F.I.S.H., Vladimirescu arranges for a private jet and sets up a meeting with Hachiji.  Significant modifications are made to the craft to accommodate a sedated ColdSnap, then Vladimirescu, Raijin, Revivicator, and Shadowfist fly to a C.H.E.S.S. base in Tokyo.  ColdSnap stays at the base while an Agent Kenzu accompanies the other four, all disguised as businessmen, to the famous upscale Ginza District.  On the top floor of the Tokyo Memorial Trade Building they enter the offices of Hachiji Scientific, where executive Masatake Hachiji gives them a brief tour and meeting in his office.  Shadowfist observes that their host is upset about something, and Raijin finds a tabloid article about his father not being seen for some time.  Vladimirescu offers help, but the businessman declines their offer and hurries them out.
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2018 at 11:52pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #66 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
The summary from last week's game:

#13 – Rendezvous with Revenge – ColdSnap tells C.H.E.S.S. psychologist Shahzaib Miller how he was recovered from Antarctica years ago; she also helps him begin to control his powerful cold field.  Shadowfist accompanies a Rook and two Knights to investigate a lead on the outskirts of Tokyo, while C.H.E.S.S. teleports Psilight in from San Francisco.  Exotic extradimensional princess Midna also arrives at the facility to lend her assistance.  Raijin and Vladimirescu stake out Hachiji Scientific from a nearby park while Psilight (as a civilian) and Midna try to ascertain more about the Tatsu Tong by visiting a high-end casino.  Their foes remain elusive, and C.H.E.S.S. archives on Naginata also reveal very little.  The group meets up outside Hachiji, but are quickly chased away by protective security guards.  Stymied by their lack of progress, Psilight turns to Rook Kenzu, who suggests returning to Hachiji and challenging Naginata’s honor.  The six heroes return to the Tokyo Memorial Trade Building again, this time in costume, and call out the gangsters.  Security retreats inside as passersby begin recording the public confrontation.  Shi-Kaze comes to the door and implores them to back off, but the challengers remain resolute.  The two sides agree to a duel with an equal number of combatants, and soon after Yamaguchi paranormals Kabuki, Phantom Strike, and Swiftblade arrive via car.  Naginata, Shi-Kaze, and android Negatron come downstairs to join them outside and the battle begins.  Vladimirescu joins his friends, revealing that he is the paranormal Final Pulse.  During the fight, Revivicator discerns that Shi-Kaze is executive Masatake Hachiji, and is intentionally holding back.
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2018 at 5:14pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #67 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
#14 – Terror in Tokyo – As the fight rages, the heroes begin to gain the upper hand.  An exhausted Kabuki flees, followed by a fatigued Swiftblade, and eventually only Naginata remains.  The champions overwhelm the samurai, then some rush over to the onlookers, where the Hachiji security guards try to suppress the crowd’s recordings of the battle.  Naginata arises and contests the team again, but is finally subdued.  Shi-Kaze orders security to return to the building and informs the Sentinels that he was under Naginata’s thumb, a crime-fighter forced to work for the Yakuza as they hold his father Iyeyasu captive.  Phantom Strike awakens and floats away into the ground.  C.H.E.S.S. arrives and arrests Naginata and Negatron.  Shadowfist’s group returns and explains that the Tong kidnapped renowned scientist Haruzo Torinaga.  Revivicator promises Shi-Kaze that they will rescue his father, and their former enemy takes them back upstairs to the top floor.  With help from C.H.E.S.S. they search Naginata’s bedroom and office and recover six vials with clear liquid labeled Y-12 and X-12; Shi-Kaze believes them to be a drug and antidote.

« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2018 at 11:52pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #68 - May 7th, 2018 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
#15 – High-Tech Horror – A Hachiji pilot spills the location of two southern island complexes.  Psilight decides that they will strike first against the one they know more about before assaulting the likely main headquarters of the villains.  The following evening Psilight, Midna, and Shi-Kaze assist C.H.E.S.S. with a raid on another Hachiji office building in Yokohama while the main group parachutes into different spots of the Hachiji compound on Tanegashima.  Raijin coerces a technician into shutting off all electrical power, then blows the backup generators.  Shadowfist chases away a radio operator from a communications shack.  Final Pulse searches the top floor of the largest structure, while Revivicator and ColdSnap take out a security guard and grab some experimental weapons from a building with high-tech armaments.  As he moves across the grounds, Shadowfist encounters a large kirin, a celestial dragon-horse of Japanese mythology, and is knocked unconscious by the beast and an invisible foe.  Raijin comes to his aid and knocks out the creature, which changes back into a woman as it goes flying.  Invisible Shadow Dragon scoops up his sister Kirin and flees.  ColdSnap and Revivicator move over to the Simulations Building and drop another security guard before running into Final Pulse there.
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2018 at 2:02pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #69 - May 16th, 2018 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
And last night, it took a 5+ hour session, but we finished it!

#16 – Climax at the Castle – C.H.E.S.S. and Japanese authorities descend on Tanegashima and help detain workers and rescue captive scientists and engineers.  Kirin and Shadow Dragon alert Ichiban Sama at the main Dragon Tong headquarters on Yakushima.  After resting and healing, the next morning the team makes their final assault on the island.  Their C.H.E.S.S craft is warned to stay away, so drops below radar until over Yakushima, and it dodges laser fire after the squad parachutes onto a dormant volcano.  They travel through jungle to the compound, which has a moat and high stone wall.  Raijin and Shi-Kaze challenge the Yamaguchi from outside, but Ninja Master leaps to the wall and cautions them that they face certain death if they continue.  Shadowfist grows large and teleports onto the wall, while Raijin and Rejuvenator (towing ColdSnap) leap over, where they fight Ninja Master, Kirin (again as a dragon), and a ninja.  Kirin is felled, and when Shadowfist forces the drawbridge down, Shi-Kaze, Psilight, and Final Pulse also enter the courtyard.  Surrounded, Ninja Master drops a flash grenade, temporarily blinding Raijin and Shi-Kaze before he flees into the feudal Japanese castle.  The heroes enter through the front door and engage Kabuki, Shadow Dragon, Phantom Strike, Swiftblade, Ninja Master, Ichiban Sama, and many elite ninjas inside.  After a furious battle, Phantom Strike flees, and the rest of the villains are defeated.  Ichiban Sama takes off his mask, revealing that he is Iyeyasu Hachiji!  He congratulates his honorable opponents, reveals his disgust that son Shi-Kaze chose the wrong side, and commits seppuku by blowing up himself and his magical rings via a powerful explosion!  Dr. Torinaga is rescued, and many records are recovered that lead to the end of the Dragon Tong.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools

>