Normal Topic Latent "Wild Card" Power (Read 1235 times)
polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Latent "Wild Card" Power
Jan 26th, 2016 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
During the character generation process, sometimes a player rolls a "wild card' power like Mutant Power or Body Power or Psionics but can't decide what to choose. One way to handle the situation is to let the player wait and decide on the power at some other time. The player-character starts out less powerful than they might have, but will have more perspective when fine-tuning their latent power that manifests later.
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2016 at 1:10pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Re: Latent "Wild Card" Power
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2016 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on Jan 26th, 2016 at 12:03pm:
During the character generation process, sometimes a player rolls a "wild card' power like Mutant Power or Body Power or Psionics but can't decide what to choose. One way to handle the situation is to let the player wait and decide on the power at some other time. The player-character starts out less powerful than they might have, but will have more perspective when fine-tuning their latent power that manifests later.

I'm good with that. I figure the power would manifest itself during some type of stressful situation, (all of which would be worked out between the player and GM ahead of time), which seems to be standard for comics.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2016 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
I have done that a few times. It makes for a good story.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Agreed, it's a good idea and very much fitting with what we see in the comics.

I had one player hold off on defining his Pet, even.  Later, after the PC had adventured for awhile, when visiting another dimension, she ended up befriending one of the saber-toothed tigers the bad guys rode on.  Frostpaw has been her constant companion since.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jan 27th, 2016 at 2:03pm:
Agreed, it's a good idea and very much fitting with what we see in the comics.

I had one player hold off on defining his Pet, even.  Later, after the PC had adventured for awhile, when visiting another dimension, she ended up befriending one of the saber-toothed tigers the bad guys rode on.  Frostpaw has been her constant companion since.

To use some old-school examples ...

Marvel Girl begins with Telekinesis and Psionics. She later specifies that Psionics = Telepathy.

Invisible Girl begins with Invisibility and Mutant Power. She later specifies that Mutant Power = Force Field.

Sprite begins with Non-Corporealness, Heightened Intelligence, a Body Power that disrupts computers and Pet. She later specifies that Pet is Lockheed the Dragon.

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2016 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
Latent powers are a staple of comics and superhero stories. In my upcoming book "The Lazarus Gang" latent powers are the crucial story element that drive a great deal of the action.

So yeah, latent powers are cool.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
This is a brilliant idea, Polarboy. I have changed player powers before, as a result of something catastrophic they had done but never thought of delaying the power slate until a session or five had been played to get a feel for things.

Sometimes I have altered or added powers because of a catastrophic event (usually something stupid done by a player) and once because a player had to quit the group in mid-adventure due to circumstances outside his control and then came back about a year later. I killed the character off to explain the absence and brought him back with an expanded power slate.  Made for good roleplaying and excitement as he didn't know about the new powers until they manifested.

Kudos on a great idea.

IP Logged

Shadow-Dragon15
Sidekick

Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2016 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on Jan 27th, 2016 at 7:53pm:
Sprite begins with Non-Corporealness, Heightened Intelligence, a Body Power that disrupts computers and Pet. She later specifies that Pet is Lockheed the Dragon.

Great idea.

Also, kudos on using "Sprite" as Kitty Pride's code name!

Shadowdragon

IP Logged

>