Normal Topic V&V or HeroQuest2E (Read 1033 times)
Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

V&V or HeroQuest2E
Nov 18th, 2016 at 9:54am
Print Post  
I've been debating back and forth recently what I want to use for superhero goodness.  I've always enjoyed V&V, but in my elder years I want something simpler with less bookkeeping.  I still enjoy V&V, but the appeal of something that is less defined is looming.  With that in mind, I'm really leaning toward Heroquest 2nd Edition by Robin Laws (published by Moon Design IIRC).  Linkie: https://www.amazon.com/HeroQuest-Core-Rules-Robin-Laws/dp/0857441035

This is based on the older HeroWars/HeroQuest rules, not to be confused with the old HeroQuest board game.  Resolution is a d20 roll.  Characters are described using keywords/phrases and those are rated at how good they are.  Once a character gets high enough in a rating, it is a mastery which gives them an advantage over someone without a mastery.

But the appeal of this is the keywords/phrases.  You could label Dr. Strange as Sorcerer Supreme of Earth Dimension with a rating of 2M4.  Which would be 2 masteries + 4.  No need to write out the individual spells, or power blast or whatnot.  Use the sorcerer supreme quality for attack, defense, other things.  As long as you can rationalize it.

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Re: V&V or HeroQuest2E
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Have you looked at Power Legion by Ganesha Games? There are a few quirks (a table summarizing how powers interact would have been nice) but is uses the Song of Blades and Heroes system which is pretty fast.

Also did you see my note about BattleLore?

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
I'm familiar with Ganesha Games - I think I got Power Legion in one of the kickstarters (where I got all of the rules that were out at that time).  I'll have to revisit the rules though.

I just looked back and saw your reply about BattleLore.  What I played of it (not with my set, but before I bought mine), I thought 1st edition was decently balanced.  Not perfect, but not too bad either.  Pretty sure the stuff I have didn't have any flying units either though.  Mostly was focused on historical but adding in fantasy races and mages.

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
I have some game aids I could send you if you're interested (excel sheet to create characters easily and a table of conditions/effects)

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
So my group finally played a game using HeroQuest 2E rules.  It was fantasy, possibly grindhouse would be a good descriptor.  Over the top violence and blood.

Next on the schedule is a game of V&V.  Going to play V&V as I used to; no house rules outside of the Str/Agil hit mod swap.

IP Logged

Tempest
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
I can definitely sympathize, Imaginos, with the desire to keep the damn games from turning into forensic accounting audits - this is what killed D&D 3.0/.5, et al with our gaming group.  When the games start to become about the numbers, the feats and skill cross-comparison checks, the whole role-playing bit gets the big flushie and it turns into the "winners" crying "I won the accounting audit!"  While Steve Kenson's Mutants & Masterminds 2e has some excellent game design (at least as I would call it), the game system has some serious balance and logic problems, not the least of which being the interminable character creation process.  That stated, I'd still majorly recommend DSumner's Empire City (on this site), created for V&V, and the M&M Freedom City and Paragons settings if you're looking for places to scrap bad guys.  Mr. Kenson's recent ICONS superheroes' game - which I've recently gotten into - seems, from my reading on it, a much more straight-forward and fast-moving work than the previous M&M.

I also applaud your last note, regarding going back to V&V 2.0 and the Str/Agi swap.  Others in my gaming group have chosen to ignore this, claiming, "But it'd take forever to recalculate all the old villains!"  My response: Don't.  Just leave the Most Wanted and Opponents Unlimited and modules' bad guys as is and stick to keeping the PCs (and NPCs, if doable) in line with the reconfiguration.  Imaginos, all my best hopes for you and your gaming group with the V&V uptake. Smiley

IP Logged

>