Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sonic Abilities (Read 1833 times)
THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Sonic Abilities
Feb 2nd, 2017 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Is it just me or does this power kind of Suck?

I understand not all powers are created equally and you can do some cool stuff with it but I would rather beef it up a bit. So you can "destroy an object on a special roll to attack with S %"

Big deal. You can destroy an object with a Power Blast or throwing a truck on it.

Some Ideas.

Increase the damage but that one is a bit obvious.

I was also thinking on any attack that causes damage you roll a percentage to deafen the target if it has hearing capabilities. Deafened character has -4 to hit, sudden balance issue and +4 to be hit. Might be a bit much but something to make it a bit more useful.

I do think it is a good power to use Radius Attack(see Johns House Rules) with so long as no friends are around or if they are they have a proper defense

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Re: Sonic Abilities
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
I like the idea of deafening possibilities.
You might also consider disorientation, nausea, feelings of dread from low frequencies, etc.

Here's a link to check out.

http://military.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_weapon

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Deafening is a no brainer, good call. How about messing with equilibrium?   

As for the shattering, I always thought it would destroy objects when they wouldn't normally be able to break.  Like not enough damage to break it, or if it's in the hand and the guy rolls with the damage so it can't break...

Don't overlook the ability to mimic sounds and frequencies.
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2017 at 2:26am by John »  

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
I've really never thought of it as weak, but then I can't recall a PC in any of my games ever having this one, so perhaps it has been viewed that way by some of my players.

This week's episode of Arrow had multiple characters with variant abilities based on Sonics; one was a powerful sonic scream, and the other had more of a 'mess with your head' one that caused equilibrium loss/nausea.

IP Logged

merteuil
Teen Titan

Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 5:23am
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on Feb 2nd, 2017 at 8:52pm:
I understand not all powers are created equally and you can do some cool stuff with it but I would rather beef it up a bit. So you can "destroy an object on a special roll to attack with S %"

Big deal. You can destroy an object with a Power Blast or throwing a truck on it.

Yes but with SA you can do it in one shot.

there's a lot of things you can do with this power, maybe you focus too much on the damage than the roleplay?
You can use is as a ventroloquist, imitate the voice of someone, make some perturbation among animals who have a larger spectrum of hearing sensibility, communicate with someone who have heightened senses whithout anyone else knowing, whispers voices in the ears of someone like somebody's speaking in his head etc..

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Thanks All for the feedback

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #6 - Feb 6th, 2017 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Also, you get a straight S% roll.  Power blast does 1d20+mods, but has to factor in the Structural Rating (it came to me this morning).  So glass, sure, glass you are shattering all day with power blast.  But adamantium - not so much.  With this, just get the % roll and "Shatter!"
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2017 at 1:04pm by Imaginos »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #7 - Feb 6th, 2017 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
True but if you have a 10 Str it is not a very high percent and it also says a Special Attack which to me would be two hits or a modified roll to hit

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
That is true, but what is the Sonic chance to hit?  I forget what the base is.  And yes, special attack = 2 attack rolls.  I agree.

This brings up a concept for power modification.  If someone rolls a heightened stat, but has a power that is based off the stat - if they want to give up the bonus to the stat, I think I will let them roll 2x the dice for the bonus.

So Anthem, the sonic powered patriotic hero.  Character concept is not a really strong guy, but player rolls Ht Str B along with his sonic powers.  If the player wants, I will let them roll 6d10 as the STR Bonus, only as it applies to Sonic powers.  That way, character concept remains a "not-so-strong" character, but with very strong powers.  He is, after all, giving up all of the other bonuses that go with the higher stat.

Thanks for making me think of this.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #9 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
That's a good idea of a boost for the power only, Imaginos.

And Sonic Abilities starts at a 10 on the chart.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #10 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:51am
Print Post  
I like the idea of deafening a character. How about this, on a successful attack the target must save vs. E on 1d20, or is deafened for 1 turn = to the damage inflicted. So if the attack inflicts 6 points damage, the character is deaf for 6 turns. In addition to the obvious drawbacks of being deaf, the character's detect hidden/danger scores are 1/2 normal.

And another boost could be adding +3% per level, to simulate the character growing more skilled with their abilities to the chance to destroy and object.

How do they sound?

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

>