Poll
Poll Question: Published or Homemade Adventures?

« Created by: Majestic on: May 3rd, 2017 at 1:10pm »
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Which do you prefer: Published or Homemade Adventures? (Read 2250 times)
Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Which do you prefer: Published or Homemade Adventures?
May 3rd, 2017 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
With such a long-running game, there are lots of published works to consider, from multiple companies and from other sources like online or magazines.

Which do you prefer to run?  And Why?

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Re: Which do you prefer: Published or Homemade Adventures?
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2017 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
I personally really like both.  I've done lots of my own, completely custom-made adventures, sometimes with my own characters, and other times using ones that come from published works.

One thing I really like from published works is the uniqueness and creativity that I otherwise would never come up with on my own.  I look at it as if when I GM I'm the director of a film.  As a director, I enjoy it when I'm the one who has written the story, but I also really like "directing" things when someone else has composed the script.  I still get to put my own flourishes and style into the final product.  But having somebody else come up with things allows things to stay varied and exciting, both to me as GM and to my players (who might begin to see trends and similarities if I were only doing my own stories).

How about you?

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2017 at 8:44am
Print Post  
I prettyicj only use homemade stuff. I still collect FGU's V&V stuff.  I have used modified versions of published characters.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Tempest
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2017 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Both are very much used and appreciated.  While it's a toss-up as to whether any published module is going to get used in straight-out off-the-shelf condition, there have been innumerable occasions where I - and others - have ripped bits off to provide characters, situations, potential conflicts, plot lines, or any and all of the above for games we've made up.  Nothing appears out of whole cloth, and the published adventures are an invaluable resource for general reading enjoyment, adaption in whole or part, and providing supplementary material for a homeboy GM's games.

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 5th, 2017 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Looks like I'm in the majority here.  I like both published and homemade adventures for the reasons given; published adventures give a different feel to the sessions while I like watching the players work their way through the scenarios I have created.

I rarely use published adventures as written.  I almost always inject elements of my long game into the scenes because I love long story arcs that span years of game time. To me, this gives a sense of realism to the game and more closely emulates the comic books we are imitating.

That having been said, published works offer ideas I would likely not have thought of.

In the end, we rarely create new and unique stories but stand on the shoulders of giants, as the saying goes.  And I'm okay with that.

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2017 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Guess I'm in the minority. I haven't played much, other than play by post, in years, but I enjoy reading published works immensely.  I collect pretty much everything I can find, even though I'll probably never use a tenth of it.  When I do play, of course I modify the published material to fit, and I do like pulling in villains from other sources.

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #6 - May 6th, 2017 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
I like using the modules as source material and then modifying as needed. The "story" behind the source material drives events behind the scenes, but I almost never use the "setup" provided in adventures to get the adventurers involved.

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #7 - May 6th, 2017 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
This is kinda like asking do you like home cooking or going out to a restaurant? Answer: YES!

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #8 - May 8th, 2017 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Ramble wrote on May 6th, 2017 at 10:15pm:
This is kinda like asking do you like home cooking or going out to a restaurant? Answer: YES!

RAMBLE

While somewhat true, I have run into people who will (almost) never touch published adventures, and who prefer to make everything up themselves.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #9 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
I find it incredible to realize that some people DID NOT vote "Both."

In fact, I'm not sure why the option "Published" and "Homemade" were even offered.  If I had created this poll, the ONLY option to choose would have been "Both."

Edit: Who remembers the "Pandemonium" site?  There are some great plot seeds that I still have archived from '96!  Does anyone remember "The Catherder's Tale?"  How 'bout "One Man, One Focus?"  These are fan-fiction adventures for V&V!
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2020 at 8:02pm by Display Name »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #10 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
I remember that site!  I remember reading over it numerous times (I think I still have it printed out), but I don't think I ever used anything, other than as inspiration.

IP Logged

>