Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) FORUM UPGRADE! - Please read (Read 9135 times)
Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

FORUM UPGRADE! - Please read
Aug 31st, 2017 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
Folks

I might be upgrading the forum soon to the latest software (which is a year old already, seems the company that makes this bundle is slowing down a bit).  It will give us some new functionality that might be appeasing to some, but honestly I am doing it for the sole reason of increased security and blocking of bot accounts.  It's been a daily grind for me to clear them out of the forum (you guys don't see this at all, it's been seamless for you) and I just need a break. I am hoping this will help resolve these problems.

Still doing some research on this but if/when I decide to do this you might notice the forum in maintenance mode. This means you can use the site as normal, but basically in read only mode. You will not be able to post or write PM's etc.  I will probably leave it in this state for maybe a full day, this way my backup will be certain to hold unchanged data.

Now once I start the upgrade the site might actually be down and you will get a 404 error. Or you will see a site but it will not be the current forum. If this is the case please don't log and/or try to post or do anything.

If things go smoothly the new site will be up and with our current data, but might look funny. It will be like that for a while until I can tweak the layout, logos, etc.  Also there maybe login issues in the beginning due to the new security features. I will have to do a lot of configuration on the backend to fix that which will take time.

So bear with me, cross your fingers and be patient. I am not even sure I am going to do this, but if I do decide to bite the bullet I will just start it without another warning.

If you have any questions please PM me.

Thanks all.

The Management

« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2017 at 7:14pm by Paul »  

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Re: FORUM UPGRADE! - Please read
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Just a quick update that everything went smoothly it seems (fingers crossed) but please let me know of any issues you encounter.

There still maybe some times you find the boards in Maintenance mode or just outright down. If that happens, I know about it and will rectify the problem ASAP.

As far as pics and logos are concerned, I need to work on that (mostly a note to John).

As far as new functionality, I will get around posting something soon.

Thanks!

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Another quick note, I had to update the URL but redirects have been updated as well so you shouldn't have problems. But if you do just clean out your browser cache and go to www.villainsandvigilantesforum.com again to re-establish the connection.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
New features with this version of the forum:  http://www.yabbforum.com/?p=30

New Features for YaBB 2.6
Subboards
More flexibility in organization. (Also a feature in Next.)

Event Calendar
Popular mod and a feature on many other forums. (Also a feature in Next.)

https and ftp urls in AddTab tabs
A much needed addition to allow admins to add links to sites that aren�t simply �http�.

Print individual posts
Add printing for individual posts in addition to the usual Print Thread.

Print IMs
Allows members to print an IM the same as printing an individual post.
Attachments in IM

Send an attachment using IM.
(For security and space reasons the Admin does have access to all Attachments including IM ones.)

IM Sender and subject in Email subject line.
Lets the recipient know who the IM is from and what it�s about when it�s emailed to them.

Board Passwords
Password protect individual boards rather than just limiting access by  age, gender or Group. (Useful for admins who would like to restrict access to adult-only or other material without adding members to a public group.)

Board Rules
Set out rules for specific boards

External Board Links
Another popular mod added by request.

Moderator position and assigned boards
shows in Member Profile. Lets people know what boards a member is moderator for.

Forum Moderator position
New in YaBB 2.6.0
Found on other forums, this is position that has moderator permissions on all boards and has ban member privileges without having access to the Admin Center.

Page Load time
Addition of Page Load time only for debug mode. This let�s everybody know how long the page took to load. Useful when people complain of slow page load times. (Admin Center option)

CSS buttons
(An adaptation of Carsten�s CSS Button mod) 2.6.0 only has CSS created buttons and has the added feature that the button definition list is kept with the Forum Templates so custom templates can have their own button graphics if desired.

Login with User ID or email only
As added security, user�s can no longer log in using their publically accessible screen name. Admin option to turn off for converted forums.

RSS Category and Board Feeds
In addition to the main RSS feed for the whole forum, the Admin can activate RSS feeds for categories and individual boards.

Login cookie time length
Login cookies are now set to either expire on browser close or be in �Remember Me� mode. (This was a feature on 3.0/Next and most other web places.) (Also a feature in Next.)

Topic Sort
Members can choose how they want topics to be sorted on the page.
Admin and Security features

Timed banning
Another popular feature on other forums � allows admins to choose to limit bans on members.

Admin choice to keep AddTab and EditTab visible
A minor change � less clutter for the admin to look at when not actively adding or changing tabs.

More Anti-spam Features

YaBB 2.6.0 includes Carsten�s famous Spamfruits and Derek Barnstorm�s Anti-spam Question.

Admin editable anti-spam additions to standard captcha
(AKA ggn�s captcha hack) � a very popular �hand-added� mod which now has the added functionality of being editable from the Admin Center � Admins can now choose how many extra �to be ignored� characters will be added and what they are.

Enhanced anti-spam verification for Guest posting, password reset & Guest Event posting.
The admin has more choices in what types of anti-spam features will be loaded for various Guest functions.

IP banning from error log and registration log.
Allows the admin to access both IP check and IP banning from where the IP actually appears.

Admin input on charset
For forums with older imported data the admin can choose what default charset YaBB will use. (This is predominantly for English language forums where the old data was encoded as ISO-8859-1 but a fresh new forum could go with UTF-8.)

Admin max characters in posts and IMs
Allows the admin more characters in posts and emails than regular users. (Some admins are just wordy.)

Admin edit for the honeypot text
Edit the honeypot from within the Admin Center

IP Search
For the Admin � search for poster IP addresses.

Admin choice to show Search Box
(Carsten�s Search Box mod) Admin has additional choices on the search function.

Add Moderator from member Profile and from Board
(One of Carsten�s Mods) The admin can assign a moderator to a board from that board and can assign a member moderator duties from the member�s profile (under Admin Edits).

Sticky Sort (aka Shimmy Shuffle)
The admin can rearrange the order of Stickied Topics.
Other changes

Icon definition list
Icon graphics are now assigned via a definition list with the Forum Templates. This allows a single file to be edited when the graphics are changed instead of searching through the templates and files in Sources and changing each instance.

More Templates
Nearly all the html code has been put into templates for easier editing.

Module/Code Nomeclature
As the first step in bringing YaBB to a more rigorous coding standard, all non-directly executable files have been renamed to .pm (indicating their �status� as modules � aka libraries) The directly executable files remain .pl. One module has been moved from Messages/ to Variables/ to make it easy to rename the Messages and Members folders if that�s needed for an individual forum�s security.  This also changes the amount for CHMOD operations significantly during setup, and indirectly tells you which files need a �shebang edit�.

Old Board Conversion

Yabb 2.6.0 uses the Conversion folders to convert ALL older forums to the new system. The conversion process includes importing the settings from Settings.pl and removing deprecated data files.

There is also a BoardConvert.pl that will create a conversion file for heavily modded Boards by using the old forum�s YaBB installation to determine what variables have been added. (This won�t work on a non-functioning YaBB forum.)

Bug Fixes

YaBB.js QuickLink bug
minlinkweb/buddy list bug
multiple words in alt tag bug
negative incrementing of IM numbers with Moderator alert PMs
Guests appearing as �ex-members�
Guest name formatting when Printing topic.
read BMs sent to groups bug
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2017 at 9:44pm by Paul »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all your hard work on this, Paul.  Let me know if you guys want some $ to help offset some of the changes.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2017 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Thanks Majestic.  I lost my original reply due to a glitch (now resolved) this morning.

We are good with funds for another two years, but I really appreciate the offer.

For everyone else, please feel free to reply in this thread with bugs and/or recommendations for improvement.  If I find the old "bugs" thread, I will just reinstate that (I think I did that years ago, have to check)

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2017 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
The upgrade looks great!

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #7 - Sep 2nd, 2017 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Thank you sir!

Rockband

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 7:27am
Print Post  
Well done on the upgrade and I hope it does what you need it to do.

The only thing I missed from the previous version is the "Mark All As Read" button.  I do use that as there are some topics that do not interest me so I can clear a board and know from the index page if there are nes posts I should go look at.

Its not a deal-breaker but it was convenient.

Thanks for all your hard work to keep this game accessible for all of us who can't let go.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #9 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 9:02am
Print Post  
It's on the main page showing the categories and boards. Screen shot below.

If in the past this button was on every page, I apologize but I dont see an option to bring that back. The suggestion I see is this: after you are done going through the boards you know you want to read, go back to the main page and then hit this button. Hope this helps!

capture3.PNG ( 65 KB | 41 Downloads )
capture3.PNG

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #10 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 9:08am
Print Post  
John,

Area 51 has decided to pop up in both Categories again. Please do NOT delete the dupe as this will delete both versions forever.

It's a known glitch and I am working on a solution.

**EDIT**
As I noticed all forum moderators were removed, I added them back in. I also made sure Area 51 was only visible to you and I John, so even though we see it in both categories, nobody else can.  Just always use the one in House of Secrets to make changes etc.

I will continue to find a solution, but since this is a known bug there might not be one until a fix is made.
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2017 at 10:26am by Paul »  

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #11 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Klystron, I found where you can also mark topics as READ. It's a new function called Topic Tools, which has handy features depending on what you are viewing. Screen shot attached, but it's simply on the bottom of the listing of topics.

Again, hope this helps!

« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2017 at 10:30am by Paul »  

capturemarkallread.PNG ( 23 KB | 43 Downloads )
capturemarkallread.PNG

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #12 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Quote:
John,

Area 51 has decided to pop up in both Categories again. Please do NOT delete the dupe as this will delete both versions forever.

It's a known glitch and I am working on a solution.

John this is fixed. If the problem arises again I have to manually fix it each time. So please don't delete the dupe board if this does indeed happen again. I will see it and eventually fix it.

Thanks !

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 7:17am
Print Post  
Thanks for the follow up, Paul.  I guess I should have looked harder.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #14 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 9:31am
Print Post  
No worries! It took me some time to find it as well. The Topic Tools is a cool new feature.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #15 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Paul,

You are the best and we love you.

Whats up with the question marks in black diamonds all over?

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #16 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
If you are referring to the listing of upgrades, that's just the way it copy and pasted from their site. Try this instead:

http://www.yabbforum.com/?p=30

Oh, and I love you too snookems  Smiley

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #17 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Pooky Bear,

I was talking about the actual symbols that are popping up between lines. � like this one

Also noticed options to modify and delete posts are missing. I was going to clean up Dick Dante this weekend and saw I could not modify and delete

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #18 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
The only place I see that symbol is in my post. You are seeing it all over the place?

It seems to replace apostrophes.

Let me know if it's all your posts, or all posts in general . Could be an unsupported font issue or something.

With regard to modyfing posts or deleing them. You should see the modify button next to your posts, if you aren't then that's potentially a big problem as it's not seeing you as the owner of your own posts. Let me know.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #19 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
I just bumped up Dick Dante. I am seeing the symbols almost wherever there should be blank space. I have no access to edit or delete my posts

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #20 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Ok let me change the font set back to ISO forum wide and see what that does but I doubt it will fix it. Could be minor data corruption.

On the inability to modify or delete let me log in with my test account and see what the deal is. It might be your account didn't associate your older posts to your account post upgrade or something.

IP Logged

paulpostupgrade
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Ok it seems to be working fine for my test account. But I just remembered something, the new forum gives the ability to restrict the age of posts to be modified. So after X amount of time you can no longer modify. Let me go check that default setting and circle back.

Batman

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #22 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
I changed the font set to the ISO one (for older boards) let me know if that fixed your posts. I see it changed mine in this thread. But the problem is it's now converting that diamond with the ? in it to some gibberish. I have a feeling the same thing might happen to your posts with the diamonds but let me know.

Checking the other setting now.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #23 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Ok the modification time limit was not set so modifying posts shouldn't be a problem. But the delete time was set that after one day of posting you aren't able to delete so I removed that.

Log out and log back in and see what happens and report back.  If worse comes to worse I can elevate your privileges so you have this ability (god like powers).

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #24 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Baby, You're the Greatest!

All looks well

Thanks
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2017 at 6:32pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #25 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Thank you sir!

So you can modify and delete your posts as well?

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #26 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Yup!

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #27 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
Awesome.

Rockband

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #28 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Love the new format!  This looks great!

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #29 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Thanks!

Batman

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #30 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Ok so I believe I have addressed all the issues post upgrade. Between posts and PM's I think it's all covered.

In addition, I am personlly thrilled that the site is now correctly handling (or just handling better) the bots and hack attempts. My daily interaction with manual blocking and the such is down to ZERO since the upgrade. So thank you for your patience all.

Smiley

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #31 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
It's the Russians.  After hacking our elections, they have decided that controlling our nation's superheroes will be their next endeavor!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #32 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #33 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Sweetness,

Something else. I used to be able to sort my view of oldest to newest post or vice versa. I see that option is there for the post titles in each of the categories but when I go into each specific thread I do not see that option there any longer. I may just be blind.

Example

I wanted to Bump Lusciuos Cain up for Yoshi but and I prefer to read oldest to newest. When I open that thread it is newest to oldest and I cannot see where to resort that in the Cain thread

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #34 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Ok I thought I knew what you were talking about but then your example threw me off. So two things, one is I believe you now have a global setting choice in your profile in how to view threads.  The second, which I hope is what you are looking for, is a button you can hit at the top of each thread to re-sort the order based on post date. I attached a screen shot of what I mean, my really bad yellow highlight arrow is pointing to a small arrow next to the thread title, which is a toggle. If I am not understanding what  you are saying let me know and I'll roll against cosmic awareness and figure it out.

Capture.PNG ( 15 KB | 41 Downloads )
Capture.PNG

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

>