Normal Topic Mind/Emotion Control (Read 235 times)
Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Mind/Emotion Control
Apr 19th, 2019 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
I don't really see any way for a victim of Mind Control to have the effects "wear off."

Emotion Control can wear off based on a Cha vs percentile made between-turns.  As a rule of thumb, a GM can probably assume that Emotion Control will *always* wear off within 24 hours, even if the character has the Reduced Cha weakness.  An exception to this was Kid Flash in the New Teen Titans.  I don't think the guy *ever* broke the Emotion Control that Raven laid on him, so I'm wondering if he wasn't just a sucker for bad girls.

However, what if Lightning Fist (revised rulebook) and Brainiac 5 (Legion of Super Heroes) decided to investigate a Crisis at Crusader Citadel?  Lightning Fist and Brainiac 5 climb to the top of an adjacent building and Lighting Fist shoots his zip line to the Harmon Building (Brainiac forgot his flight ring!?)  Brainiac 5 uses his 25th-century lockpick to open the door and they enter cautiously.  Fist's nightvision and Brainiac's nightvision goggles allow them to explore the hangar, but neither of them pass a Detect Danger check and so Marionette seizes Fist's mind.  She quietly orders him to wait.  Brainiac, realizing that Fist is out of commission, uses his thermal sensor and easily locates Marionette.  She fails to seize his 12th-level noodle and he blasts her with a stun gun.

At this point (according to the rulebook,) Fist would *still* be under the Mind Control effect since the condition for him to roll against it never occurred.  I don't really see anything in the rules or character write-ups that allow for the Mind Control to "expire" if the attacker loses consciousness.  Although it can probably be assumed that the attacker can "release" the victim if they choose.  On the other hand (fist?) Brainiac 5 could try to "talk him out of it" and this is probably what would occur.

An interesting thing to note is that when another character tries to "talk a person out," the save vs Int is rolled against the character with the higher Int!?  This means that *Brainiac 5* would roll Int vs percentile to break the Mind Control and not Lightning Fist.

I just wanted to point this out because it could create some interesting plot seeds or subplots when a person (especially an NPC) is Mind Controlled and no attempt is made to break it.  The person could conceivably be in a Mind Controlled state for the rest of their lives.

IP Logged

>