Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Spider-Man: Far From Good (Read 1184 times)
Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Spider-Man: Far From Good
Jul 5th, 2019 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
Ok, revelations:

The Asian kid is Ned Leeds.

The blonde chick who does the "newscasts" on the tv screens at Midland High is Betty Brant.

Gripes:

1) Ned Leeds is a MUCH MORE SERIOUS character than some goofball character portrayed in the MCU.  And he doesn't know Spider-Man's identity.  And he doesn't go to school with Peter!
2) Betty Brant is a MUCH MORE INSECURE person.
3) WAY TOO MUCH "FACIAL NUDITY!"  What is it about Spider-Man movies?  He *never* takes his mask off in the comics!  In the movies, he can't keep it on!!!!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Re: Spider-Man: Far From Good
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
I enjoyed it, and thought it was a quite good movie.

You sound like my daughter, who gets annoyed when things don't match their comic book versions.

Now Shazam!, which I just saw, was one I didn't like very much at all.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Excuse me?  Did you even read my post?

(SPOILERS!)

It's not that "things don't match their comic book versions."  The only resemblance this movie has to the comic are the labels.  Honestly?  They shouldn't have even called this movie "Spider-Man."  They should have called it "Night Monkey."

(END SPOILERS)

Go back and read my post and next time don't just reply to my subject.  And Shazam! is off-topic.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Display Name, I read your post.  And to me, complaining about how Ned Leeds is "supposed to be" is comparing him to his comic book portrayals.

And one thing I've discovered over the last decade or so is that they've made lots of changes to many of the comic book Marvel characters.  Often they've adjusted them to be more like their MCU versions (I imagine because the movies are what are bringing in so much more $).

I would guess that 99% if the movie-going audience has no idea who Ned Leeds or Betty Brant are, so for the creators, they just need 'goofy, side-kick guy' or 'school president-type'.

I just read today how Olivia Munn had to explain to the writer and director of X-Men: Apocalypse basic things about the character of Psylocke (like how she has a twin brother).  The point being that sometimes these Hollywood types don't know that much about the minutia (or even major details) of these characters that we may love and have followed for decades.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2019 at 7:07am
Print Post  
Sigh...  When I said "It's not that 'things don't match their comic book versions'" I wasn't denying that I was comparing them.  I was making an entirely different point.

In fact, you (inadvertently?) emphasized my point when you implied that the people who make these movies are COMPLETELY unfamiliar with the comics.

Maybe you should start another thread...?

IP Logged

Skydiver
Teen Titan

Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2019 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Display Name, Me thinks you're a little wired. less coffee my friend.

Facial Nudity: It's a movie issue - They want Tom Holland's face time. Otherwise, this could be like power rangers tv show and the guys behind the masks are actually stunt people and never the actor.

The rest of your gripes - You can preface all you want, but when you say that this character is too insecure, or needs to be much more serious - you're basing that on.. ? So Majestic is right.

I think that the movie was fine. The target audience is not the grognard comic that remembers little details from the comic history and storylines. It's a popcorn movie. To that effect, it was pretty good. I found that the plot points were a little too telegraphed, but I didn't expect a mystery.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2019 at 7:40am
Print Post  
Skydiver wrote on Jul 16th, 2019 at 10:58am:
Facial Nudity: It's a movie issue - They want Tom Holland's face time. Otherwise, this could be like power rangers tv show and the guys behind the masks are actually stunt people and never the actor.

The rest of your gripes - You can preface all you want, but when you say that this character is too insecure, or needs to be much more serious - you're basing that on.. ? So Majestic is right.

I think that the movie was fine. The target audience is not the grognard comic that remembers little details from the comic history and storylines. It's a popcorn movie. To that effect, it was pretty good. I found that the plot points were a little too telegraphed, but I didn't expect a mystery.

Facial nudity: There are many ways Tom's face can be revealed without giving away his secret identity.

What am I basing my gripes on?  Never mind.  Come back when you've read some comics.

"Movie was fine?" "Little details?"  Having Ned Leeds go to school with Parker AND know his secret identity, AND making him a goofball completely changes his story.  Having Ned and Betty dating since high school completely changes their story.  Making Betty a strong female completely changes her story.  You *are* able to recognize this, right?

Neither one of you are correct.  If you disagree, fine.  But my observations are spot on and you're wrong for dismissing them.

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2019 at 7:42am
Print Post  
I actually enjoyed the illusion scenes with Mysterio creating illusions.  I've often imagined that kind of scenario, say with Od, Phantasm, or Dreamweaver, but it's difficult to pull off.

I think they did a great job on bringing that to life on the screen.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #8 - Jul 17th, 2019 at 8:28am
Print Post  
I agree.  I liked everything about the character.  Heck, his costume was more correct than Spidey's!?

IP Logged

Skydiver
Teen Titan

Reply #9 - Jul 18th, 2019 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Jul 17th, 2019 at 7:40am:
Neither one of you are correct.  If you disagree, fine.  But my observations are spot on and you're wrong for dismissing them.

You're aware that movies are an interpretation of the comics, right? They can't and won't be faithful to 70+ years of history?

Are you one that griped about Raimi's Spidey actually having web in his arms instead of webshooters?

Are you one of those that ranted about the the winged Balrog interpretation in LOTR?

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #10 - Jul 18th, 2019 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Skydiver wrote on Jul 18th, 2019 at 11:09am:
They can't and won't be faithful to 70+ years of history?

Sigh...  Wrong again.

They CAN and USUALLY don't.  And stay on topic.

IP Logged

Skydiver
Teen Titan

Reply #11 - Jul 20th, 2019 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Jul 18th, 2019 at 11:36am:
Skydiver wrote on Jul 18th, 2019 at 11:09am:
They can't and won't be faithful to 70+ years of history?

Sigh...  Wrong again.

They CAN and USUALLY don't.  And stay on topic.

So you're a grognard. Look there! someone's stepping on your lawn!

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #12 - Jul 22nd, 2019 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
The reason comic book stories reach the movies is because of comic book fans.  Not catering to the fans first is doing it wrong.  Why don't you go find a movie forum to troll instead?

IP Logged

Skydiver
Teen Titan

Reply #13 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 5:55am
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Jul 22nd, 2019 at 5:58pm:
reason comic book stories reach the movies is because of comic book fans.  Not catering to the fans first is doing it wrong.  Why don't you go find a movie forum to troll instead?

Dude, I'm not trolling. I disagree with you and you clearly can't handle that.

Less coffee. More looking at it from the other perspective.

IP Logged

>