Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) More new powers (Read 2155 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

More new powers
May 5th, 2020 at 2:00am
Print Post  
Body Power: Stun Touch: The character's touch can induce unconsciousness in a target. The victim is affected as though struck with a Paralysis Ray attack. Attacks as HTH, R=Touch, PR=3.

Heightened Senses: Sense Aura: By expending and action, the Character can detect/read another person's, or creature's, aura determining if they're good or evil. R=C inches.
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2020 at 4:16am by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: More new powers
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2020 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
I would make the stun touch a special attack.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - May 6th, 2020 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
And I would give the same bonus to hit as weakness detection for the aura detection otherwise players will pass this up for a better power.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #3 - May 7th, 2020 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
Body Power: Kinetic Energy Strike (Punch): The Character's punch releases a massive amount of kinetic energy. Attacks as HTH. 1d20 damage, R=Touch, PR=1.

Force Beam: The Character generates a beam of concussive force that Attacks as Power Blast, inflicting 2d8 Damage, but KB from any damage is doubled. PR=1 as per Power Blast.

Shockwave: The character can strike the ground with either their hands, or feet, releasing a wave of damaging energy along the surface. Attacks as HTH. 2d8. Range (Explosive Radius) = STR/10 inches. Damage is halved, rounded down, for every 1" from point of impact affected. PR=3. Characters in affected area must save vs. AGL or fall to ground.
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2020 at 9:23am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #4 - May 8th, 2020 at 12:14am
Print Post  
Psionics:Emotional Overload: This power releases all the target's emotions and subconscious feelings in one great flood. To escape this onslaught, the target's mind "switches off' rendering them unable to perform any actions, and they loose their actions until a save vs. INT is made on a D20. Attacks as Emotion Control. R=C inches. PR=7.

Psionics:Psychic Backlash: Any attempt to use mental powers such as Mind Control, Emotion Control, Telepathy, etc, on the Character will automatically trigger a response unleashing a powerful psionic attack upon the Character attempting to do so. The character is initiating the "attack" must save vs. Charisma or is treated as though struck with a Paralysis Ray attack. PR=3.

Stasis Beam: The character can fire a coherent beam of energy which  restricts an opponent's movement, immobilizing them in place, and reducing their movement to 0. Flying characters are frozen in mid-air. The Character may attempt to "break free" each turn by rolling their STR, or lower, on a d100. Attacks as Paralysis Ray. R=C", PR=5. Once the initial attack is made only movement and PR to maintain unless the victim attempts to break free. Then an action must be expended in order to maintain control.
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2020 at 9:27am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #5 - May 8th, 2020 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
Force Beam is cool. Think it would be cool using that as a carrying effect on punches. Was thinking there is a chance to knock someone unconscious (pluses on knockout roll) or disorient them for a turn IF the person being struck is using heightened senses (or certain types of senses). Something like that.

Force beam with carrying effect makes it like Kinetic strike though lol but anyways....
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2020 at 3:10pm by Paul »  

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #6 - May 8th, 2020 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on May 8th, 2020 at 12:04pm:
Force Beam is cool. Think it would be cool using that as a carrying effect on punches. Was thinking there is a chance to knock someone unconscious (pluses on knockout roll) or disorient them for a turn IF they person being struck is using heightened senses (or certain types of senses). Something like that.

Force beam with carrying effect makes it like Kinetic strike though lol but anyways....

Which part are you talking about would would affect heightened senses?

YIM  
IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #7 - May 8th, 2020 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
If someone is using Heightened senses and a concussive force is used against them, I can see the damage being worse.  Similar example could be "I have heightened senses - vision and someone uses light control attack on me with super bright light etc, there should be a chance I would take more damage than someone who is not using that heightened sense."

« Last Edit: May 8th, 2020 at 3:10pm by Paul »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #8 - May 8th, 2020 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on May 8th, 2020 at 3:09pm:
If someone is using Heightened senses and a concussive force is used against them, I can see the damage being worse.  Similar example could be "I have heightened senses - vision and someone uses light control attack on me with super bright light etc, there should be a chance I would take more damage than someone who is not using that heightened sense."

Well I could see light based powers having an effect on someone with vision based powers, the same with Sonic Abilities having an enhanced effect on someone with super hearing, but, and maybe it's just not clicking for me, how would a beam of concussive force have some sort of additional effect on any type of sense? I could see there being a better chance of being knocked out, but that's it. Speaking of which, did any of you guys ever see my modified "Stun" rules?

YIM  
IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #9 - May 8th, 2020 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Well it wouldn't be a beam as a carrying effect with a punch, but overall I get your point.  I have a guy in John's world with heightened senses but modified to be "tactile" so was thinking more that angle. But this is why I am not a DM  Batman

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #10 - May 8th, 2020 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on May 8th, 2020 at 3:59pm:
Well it wouldn't be a beam as a carrying effect with a punch, but overall I get your point.  I have a guy in John's world with heightened senses but modified to be "tactile" so was thinking more that angle. But this is why I am not a DM  Batman

Your guy should probably be worried about the Sensory Overload & Sensory Deprivation powers I worked up. They could give him some serious issues.

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #11 - May 9th, 2020 at 1:06am
Print Post  

I agree. I guy with super hearing should be more vulnerable to a sonic attack.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #12 - May 9th, 2020 at 1:17am
Print Post  
John wrote on May 9th, 2020 at 1:06am:

I said that above, the same thing with some sort of heighted sight abilities. he'd would be more vulnerable to a "flash" attack.

I agree. I guy with super hearing should be more vulnerable to a sonic attack.

YIM  
IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #13 - May 9th, 2020 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Quote:
Your guy should probably be worried about the Sensory Overload & Sensory Deprivation powers I worked up. They could give him some serious issues.

Nah, my guy is all powerful...  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #14 - May 10th, 2020 at 4:14am
Print Post  
Electromagnetic Pulse: The character generates an electromagnetic pulse that shuts down all unshielded machinery, electrical, and electronic devices in the affected area for 1d4+2 turns. Character's with Android Body or Robotic Body, may save vs. END to prevent shutdown. GMs may allow characters with tech based Armor, Life Support and other devices may allow them to make a save as well. Radius=Cx10 inches, PR=20.

I'm still tinkering around with this. I may decrease the radius a bit.

YIM  
IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #15 - May 10th, 2020 at 8:26am
Print Post  
One of my guys had this, kinda. I had Magnetic powers and Lightning powers. I used power stunts to make the same type of attack. It was called EMP though, but pretty much same effects. I also had to train in computers and electronics as knowledge areas.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #16 - May 10th, 2020 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on May 10th, 2020 at 8:26am:
One of my guys had this, kinda. I had Magnetic powers and Lightning powers. I used power stunts to make the same type of attack. It was called EMP though, but pretty much same effects. I also had to train in computers and electronics as knowledge areas.

So how'd that work in the game?

YIM  
IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #17 - May 10th, 2020 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
John can probably better describe this as it uses his power stunt rule, but basically since I had the proper knowledge areas I told him I wanted to use my magnetic and lightning powers (along with my knowledge areas) to perform a power stunt to cause an EMP effect and shut down a data center.  I had to make an Int roll and use an inventing point. If I failed the Int roll, the inventing point still came off.

Power stunts are part of his house rules I believe. I'm sure I had minuses to hit but only he knew how to apply that (or I don't remember what it was).

Once you successfully perform a power stunt, you can do it again but at the cost of an inventing point I believe (without the Int roll)

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #18 - May 11th, 2020 at 4:04am
Print Post  
Paul wrote on May 10th, 2020 at 11:02pm:
John can probably better describe this as it uses his power stunt rule, but basically since I had the proper knowledge areas I told him I wanted to use my magnetic and lightning powers (along with my knowledge areas) to perform a power stunt to cause an EMP effect and shut down a data center.  I had to make an Int roll and use an inventing point. If I failed the Int roll, the inventing point still came off.

Power stunts are part of his house rules I believe. I'm sure I had minuses to hit but only he knew how to apply that (or I don't remember what it was).

Once you successfully perform a power stunt, you can do it again but at the cost of an inventing point I believe (without the Int roll)

Okay, I got the basic idea.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #19 - May 19th, 2020 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Okay, this one is straight from the Marvel Superheroes RPG

Psionics:Environmental Awareness: The character has increased sensitivity to conditions in, disturbances in, and influences on the environment. The character automatically maintains full knowledge of current conditions in his surroundings. This awareness extends to such factors as weather, chemicals, movement, and life. R=INT x10 inches.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #20 - May 26th, 2020 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Neural Disruption: The character's touch overloads the victim's nerual system, affecting them as though they'd be struck with a Paralysis Ray attack. Attacks as HTH. R=Touch, PR=3.

Thermal Energy Beam: The character projects an intense beam of thermal (heat) energy. Attacks as Flame Power. R= S+E inches. 1d12. Damage. PR=2.

Frost Beam: The character projects an intense beam of cold. Attacks as Ice Powers. R= S+E inches. 1d12. Damage. PR=2.

Heightened Senses: Echolocation: The Character has the ability to determine the location of objects in the environment by use of reflected sound waves. 3x Detect Hidden score.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #21 - May 29th, 2020 at 4:31am
Print Post  
So what do you guys think of this stuff? Feedback would be appreciated.

YIM  
IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #22 - May 29th, 2020 at 8:00am
Print Post  
Neural disruption is really just a paralysis ray only harder because it's by touch. Maybe consider the effect being something neurological, like uncontrollable twitching that gives them -5 to hit each turn unless they make a saving throw vs something. They would have to make this saving throw X turns so even if they make one saving throw they have to keep making it etc.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #23 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on May 29th, 2020 at 8:00am:
Neural disruption is really just a paralysis ray only harder because it's by touch. Maybe consider the effect being something neurological, like uncontrollable twitching that gives them -5 to hit each turn unless they make a saving throw vs something. They would have to make this saving throw X turns so even if they make one saving throw they have to keep making it etc.

Correct, it is a modified form of Paralysis Ray. AS far as additional/alternate side effects go, feel free to modify it to you liking. As none of these are "official", and V&V has always been pretty open ended when it comes to players/GMs modifying powers to their liking.

YIM  
IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #24 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Well in that case I'll make it do 3d10 damage just for the hell of it!

Batman

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #25 - Jun 4th, 2020 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Jun 3rd, 2020 at 1:32pm:
Well in that case I'll make it do 3d10 damage just for the hell of it!

Batman

Call it Matter Disruption: Attacks as HTH, R=Touch, 3D10 damage (2D10 for lower powered games). PR=3.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #26 - Aug 30th, 2020 at 9:22am
Print Post  
John wrote on May 6th, 2020 at 6:44pm:
I would make the stun touch a special attack.

I've got a special attack that does this listed somewhere on here. I need to get around to consolidating all this stuff into one area.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #27 - Dec 31st, 2021 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
I'm going to be working my way through these cleaning up descriptions and clarifying a few things.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #28 - Jan 2nd, 2024 at 2:45am
Print Post  
Just out of curiosity, have any of you guys tried using some of these in a game? I'd like to hear how they worked for you and any of other feedback you might have. Throw a brother a bone. Wink

YIM  
IP Logged

>