Normal Topic More New Powers Part 2 (Read 993 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

More New Powers Part 2
Aug 23rd, 2020 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
Energy Doppleganger: The character is able to create a copy of himself, a Doppleganger, composed of pure energy, from his own body. The player must decide whether the Doppelganger is simply an extension of the character's will or if it has an independent, but obedient, mind. The character is always in control of the Doppleganger and is the only one who can make the Doppleganger perform an action. An independent Doppelganger is only capable of carrying out simple commands on its own. Although the energy clone has the exact same attributes and skills as the original, it acts at 4th level and has its own unique set of powers and abilities. The Doppelganger automatically has the Power of Flight, plus 1d4 additional abilities, which are determined at character creation. The character gains no experience earned from his energy clone. If the creator dies or the duration of this power ends, the doppleganger disappears as if it never existed. However, the clone will remain if the character is knocked unconscious or lapses into a coma, and defend him to the bitter end. 

If separated, the character can effectively exert control over his energy doppelganger at a range of Intelligence + Charisma x 10 x Level inches. Control can be blocked by lead, or an energy field, such as a Force Field. PR=5 per turn.

Psionics: Psychic Link: The Character has a mental link with another single sentient being. The being linked to is set at character creation and cannot be changed. The link is always there, at a certain low level, but can be used for a number of functions:

- If one of the beings experiences strong emotion the other linked being will be aware of it. If one of the beings is injured it will trigger the link as well.
- The linked beings will always know the general direction and approximate distance of the other.

Range is effectively unlimited, but GMs may impose restrictions as they see fit. PR=0.

Psionics: Psychic Tracking: This Character can track other characters through the use of extra-sensory insights, independent of any physical tracks or traces. It may function through a variety of methods depending on the character. The character may be telepathically detecting the quarry’s mind, following psychic or ectoplasmic residue, be guided by clairvoyant or precognitive visions, have a subconscious knowledge which gradually surfaces at need, etc. It may simply be a highly developed intuitive sense, where the tracker has ill-explained hunches guiding his/her steps. The Character must be within 1" of the quarry in order to initially “tune” his or her particular brand of insight to follow a particular quarry. Once a quarry has been tuned in, Range no longer matters, so long as the Character is following the trail. Note that this Power does not immediately reveal the quarry’s location. The Power reveals the trail, but the character must follow the trail, step by step, to arrive at the target’s current location.

The base percentage chance is 75% +3% per level -3% per hour the trail is cold. If the quarry's trail is lost, it can be reacquired by the character making a successful Detect Hidden role. The GM may apply penalties to the percentage chance if the Character is unfamiliar with the quarry, or the quarry has powers which would hinder the tracker's abilities. GM discretion on what constitutes “familiarity” with a quarry, it may be through a personal relationship, through a prior psychic contact such as a telepathic communication or a vision via Precognition or Postcognition, etc.).

Nullify Sound: The character generates a field through which no sound can pass. Normal hearing is completely blocked. Powers such as Sonic Abilities and sound based senses are completely ineffective. The maximum area that a character can nullify sound in is a sphere with a radius in inches of 1/4 of his full Power score. The maximum range at which the ability will operate is A x 3. Creating a nul-sound area, or reshaping an old one, costs 2 points of Power. Once created, however, it costs no power to maintain. One action must be spent to create the area, and an additional action is required each turn to maintain it, though reshaping the area may be performed as movement. GMs may wish to impose penalties on affected characters Detect Hidden and Detect Danger percentages.

Body Power: Energy Claws: The character can form a set of claws out of pure energy, that appear at the ends of their fingers. The claws are treated as Natural Weaponry, granting +3 to hit and +6 HTH attack bonus.
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2022 at 6:04pm by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Re: More new powers
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2020 at 12:31am
Print Post  
Heightened Senses: Energy Detection: The character can detect and Identify energy and related phenomena. The power can only detect actual energy, not potential energy (it couldn't detect a bomb until it exploded, for example). Likewise, while it can detect the energies consciously emitted by superhumans, it cannot detect the superhumans themselves. Effective Range = 10 x Intelligence in inches.

Heightened Senses: Motion Detection: The character is able to detect the slight, but telltale, signs of motion and changes in air pressure around him and moving toward him. This ability is so sensitive that the character can physically feel changes in air currents caused by the movements of others. This means he cannot be snuck upon or caught by surprise from a nearby opponent.
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2020 at 9:25am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2020 at 11:08am
Print Post  
All are pretty cool. My only comment (if you were looking for any) is maybe changing Nullify Sound to basically be the creation of a vacuum because in essence you would need that for no sound (no sound means no air). With that said maybe consider other side effects, like no flame either and after x turns it might be hard to breathe etc.

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2020 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Aug 24th, 2020 at 11:08am:
All are pretty cool. My only comment (if you were looking for any) is maybe changing Nullify Sound to basically be the creation of a vacuum because in essence you would need that for no sound (no sound means no air). With that said maybe consider other side effects, like no flame either and after x turns it might be hard to breathe etc.

Not necessarily, all you're basically doing is stopping vibrations, creating a vacuum would be something different. And besides, this is all based on "Comic book science". Wink

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2020 at 12:24am
Print Post  
So, just out of curiosity, have any of you guys made use of this stuff? I'm really interested in how they worked out for you.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2020 at 12:50am
Print Post  
A few Heightened Senses:

Heightened Senses: Environmental Awareness: The character has increased sensitivity to conditions in, disturbances in, and influences on the environment. The hero automatically maintains full knowledge of current conditions in his surroundings. This awareness extends to such factors as weather, chemicals, movement, and life.

Heightened Senses: Power Detection: The character can detect and identify superhuman Powers. He can also identify specific superhumans by their characteristic Powers. The character can identify the presence of previously invoked power when examining former targets, by making a save vs. Intelligence on a 1d20. Effective Range = 10 x Intelligence in inches.
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2021 at 11:20am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #6 - Aug 29th, 2020 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Body Power: Freeze Breath: The character exhales an intense blast of extremely cold air from their mouth. The attack affects all targets within 1 inch arc extending out from the point of origin. Damage is halved for each 2" of distance. Attacks as Ice Powers. Range = Endurance inches. 1d12 damage. PR=4

Body Power: Super Breath: This character exhales a powerful blast of air from their mouth. The attack affects all targets within 1 inch arc extending out from the point of origin. Damage is halved for each 2 inches of distance. Anyone in the effected area  must save vs. Agility (1d2o) or loose their footing and fall down, be knocked over. Attacks as Telekinesis. Range = Endurance inches. 1d10 damage. PR=2

Chemical Power: Catalytic Control: The character can control the speed at which chemical reactions occur. He can increase or decrease the energies emitted or drained in such reactions. For example, he could increase the heat emitted by exothermic reactions like oxidation; he could also increase the chilling effect of endothermic reactions. He can increase or decrease the speed or rate at which reactions occur, like stopping iron from dissolving in acid or causing steel to rapidly transform into rust. Range = Intelligence Inches.

(I'm still working out the PR cost and the amount of material the character can affect).

Chemical Power: Chemical Secretion: The Character's body creates and secrets a number of chemical compounds <<< PLACE HOLDER >>>

Crystal Powers: The character can create crystalline constructs/objects as per Illusions B. The objects appear where the character designates. Creation Points = 2 x current Power score. Range = Endurance x 2 inches. By expending an action, the character can create crystal HTH Weapons, for use in melee combat. They attack as standard HTH weapon. Damage is per HTH weapons table. PR = 1 to create, no cost afterwards. The character may also project crystal spikes/shards at an opponent, inflicting 1d4 points of damage, at a Range = to their Agility in inches. PR=1 per an attack. 

Disruptor Beam: The character fires a beam of energy capable of disrupting both matter and energy. Attacks as Disintegration Ray. 2d10 damage. R= Strength + Endurance inches. PR= 2 per shot. 

Psionics: Assessment: By expending an action, it acts as Weakness Detection allowing the character to psionically scan an opponent and determine one weakness, if any.

Radiation Control: The character can control existing radiation, generate a specific type of radiation (X-rays, alpha, beta, gamma, and cosmic rays), direct the flow of radiation, or alter its nature by converting any form of radiation to any other form, in an area equal to his Endurance x level inches for a PR of 2 per turn. The character may also increase or decrease the radiation's intensity, and reduce the damage done by radiation. In addition the character may fire a blast of hard radiation capable (Attacks as Disintegration Ray) of inflicting 2d8 damage on a target at a Range of Endurance x 2 inches. PR=2 per shot. (I may increase some of these PR costs).

I'm still tinkering around with the wording on a couple of these. I know how I want Freeze Breath and Super Breath to work, but I'm trying to word the descriptions properly.
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2022 at 6:08pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Re: More New Powers Part 2
Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2020 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Artificial Construct:  <<< PLACE HOLDER >>>

Transformation: Shape Change: Alternate Form:

- Crystalline Form:

- Energy Form: The character can transform his body into a sentient coherent energy being that supports his life force and is capable of controlled actions. The energy may be of any type the character chooses, and is determined at the time of character creation. While in Energy Form the character is considered to be in a Non-Corporal state, and is treated as such, although the Energy Form is subject to anything that would affect energy of its type. While in Energy Form the character may find himself confined in some type of storage/containment field. If so, the character may attempt to return to normal by making a successful save vs. Endurance. If the attempt fails, the character must escape the field while in his energy form. If the character's Power score drops to 0, the character will revert to their normal form. The Character can also absorb existing energy, of his chosen type, to replenish his Power. PR=8 per hour.

- Fluid Form:

- Gaseous Form:

- Gelatinous Form:

- Particulate:

Chemical Form: The character can transform himself into a chemical, element, or compound. 

- Acid Form:

Elemental Form:

- Air:

- Earth/Stone:

- Fire:

- Water:

<<< PLACE HOLDER >>>
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2020 at 5:42pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #8 - Dec 31st, 2021 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
I'll be playing around with these this week trying to spell out exactly what each does.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #9 - Jan 2nd, 2024 at 2:43am
Print Post  
I'm still tinkering with these.