Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Welcome Everyone! (Read 175681 times)
PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Re: Welcome Everyone!
Reply #245 - Sep 26th, 2010 at 4:50am
Print Post  
Another gamer who played V&V a looong time ago, chiming in.  Smiley

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #246 - Sep 26th, 2010 at 6:56am
Print Post  
Welcome tothe site.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #247 - Sep 26th, 2010 at 10:51am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Sep 26th, 2010 at 6:56am:
Welcome tothe site.

Cheers.  Smiley

Leon.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #248 - Sep 26th, 2010 at 10:58am
Print Post  
PulpCitizen wrote on Sep 26th, 2010 at 10:51am:
dsumner wrote on Sep 26th, 2010 at 6:56am:
Welcome tothe site.

Cheers.  Smiley

Leon.

If you get a minute, would you mind sharing some of your V&V gaming experiences with us, as I'm sure everyone would enjoy hearing about them.

« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2010 at 11:00am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #249 - Sep 26th, 2010 at 11:24am
Print Post  
I played a few games back in the 80's.

Coming from a dull Northern UK industrial town, it didn't seem fitting to set superhero games there, so we didn't play 'ourselves'. But I always loved creating characters for the game, as I did and still do for so many supers-themed RPG's before and since (DC Heroes/MEGS, Champions/Hero, Golden Heroes/Squadron UK, Heroes Unlimited, MSH, DC Universe, Mutants and Masterminds etc). More recently that experience has been suplemented by tabletop miniatures gaming with a supers theme (Supersystem, and latterly Pulp City; I also did a WHFB 2nd edition supers game or two waaaayyyy back when...).

Cut to today, and I have been working on a supers-themed RPG sourcebook for about a two years (not so much in the past year) to accompany some stories I have been working on, but grew frustrated with the system I had been intending to use. Mulling over this difficulty for many months, I then see then that MHG have V&V 2.1 out, and well, let's just say that some cogs started turning...

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #250 - Sep 26th, 2010 at 11:32am
Print Post  
PulpCitizen wrote on Sep 26th, 2010 at 11:24am:
I played a few games back in the 80's.

Coming from a dull Northern UK industrial town, it didn't seem fitting to set superhero games there, so we didn't play 'ourselves'. But I always loved creating characters for the game, as I did and still do for so many supers-themed RPG's before and since (DC Heroes/MEGS, Champions/Hero, Golden Heroes/Squadron UK, Heroes Unlimited, MSH, DC Universe, Mutants and Masterminds etc). More recently that experience has been suplemented by tabletop miniatures gaming with a supers theme (Supersystem, and latterly Pulp City; I also did a WHFB 2nd edition supers game or two waaaayyyy back when...).

Cut to today, and I have been working on a supers-themed RPG sourcebook for about a two years (not so much in the past year) to accompany some stories I have been working on, but grew frustrated with the system I had been intending to use. Mulling over this difficulty for many months, I then see then that MHG have V&V 2.1 out, and well, let's just say that some cogs started turning...

Personally, I'd love to see some sort of UK based source book, for V&V. I've given serious thought to putting something together myself, but held off on the idea once I realized just how little I actually know about the UK. Plus I always think it's better when people from the country in question try to put something together. Either way, I'm sure everyone here would be interested in seeing what you've got in mind.

YIM  
IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #251 - Sep 26th, 2010 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Welcome to the site, glad to have you here. Smiley

IP Logged

Oberon
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #252 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 1:14am
Print Post  
Greetings to all!  I'm new to this board but not the glorious game of V&V!  I'm very happy for the revival that seems to going on and I really hope it continues.  I enjoy comics sci-fi and japanimation.  I'm also an artist so I hope to post some of my characters soon.  Till we meet again I bid you all  GrinEXCELSIOR!   

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #253 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 8:19am
Print Post  
Oberon wrote on Oct 31st, 2010 at 1:14am:
Greetings to all!  I'm new to this board but not the glorious game of V&V!  I'm very happy for the revival that seems to going on and I really hope it continues.  I enjoy comics sci-fi and japanimation.  I'm also an artist so I hope to post some of my characters soon.  Till we meet again I bid you all  GrinEXCELSIOR!   

Welcome to teh site Oberon. We look forward to seeing some of your artwork.

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #254 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 12:54am
Print Post  
Welcome, Oberon!    Smiley  Glad to have you here!
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2010 at 12:54am by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #255 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the site. Glad to have you here. I look forward to seeing your artwork. Smiley

IP Logged

Elongated Man
Sidekick

I Loooooove V&V!

Reply #256 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 1:14am
Print Post  
Hi.

My name is Larry.

And I am a game-aholic.

IP Logged

Ronin84
Sidekick

Reply #257 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
I played back in the day..82-84 and then got swept away to college and then to different games, but kept my VnV stuff with me.  When I heard the new rules had come out I bought them right away BUT ended up needing surgery and that brought me to the end of summer and well...time got away.

I sponsor the gaming club at the high school where I work and the kids have begged me for a supers game!  Cha-ching!!  We started putting together backgrounds and histories for characters, I thought it best not to have them play themselves.  It took us two sessions, 90 minutes each to generate the six characters...

Victrix
Waraxe
Shockwave
Impact
Psion
Tempest

I am going to use a city of my own design and use Intercrime as the intro to the game.

Other than that, I guess I should just say Hello!

I thought you were the Moon and I was your Wolverine. Turns out you're the Trickster, and I'm just the fool who got played.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #258 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Ronin84 wrote on Feb 17th, 2011 at 6:54pm:
I played back in the day..82-84 and then got swept away to college and then to different games, but kept my VnV stuff with me.  When I heard the new rules had come out I bought them right away BUT ended up needing surgery and that brought me to the end of summer and well...time got away.

I sponsor the gaming club at the high school where I work and the kids have begged me for a supers game!  Cha-ching!!  We started putting together backgrounds and histories for characters, I thought it best not to have them play themselves.  It took us two sessions, 90 minutes each to generate the six characters...

Victrix
Waraxe
Shockwave
Impact
Psion
Tempest

I am going to use a city of my own design and use Intercrime as the intro to the game.

First off, welcome. Good to hear you've recovered from your surgery, and that you back on your feet. I think it's great that you're introducing your students to gaming, and I'm sure they'll get a kick out of V&V. I also think it'd be great if you invite them over here, as I'm of the opinion, the more, the merrier. And if you're  looking for some promo fliers to promote the game, you can download them from here - http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YJpdTeUZqlh71hLEJIZGU-CYvH8bs3_IojpzqNTS4WedZyAk2CL...

and here - http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YJpdTSg5CiR71hLE0JTEWXY3lU2-j32KHb5bsy3qY64D0n6sZLF...

YIM  
IP Logged

Ronin84
Sidekick

Reply #259 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
I am hesitant to invite students to "join" groups...though I do point out that the web is a great place for them to "research" the games we play, and I know that there are sites out there that they can find to help them with backgrounds and other rule information.

I don't think it's an issue here of course but I have to be careful for a variety of reasons!

They have never played a Supers game before and your not going to believe this but there are four girls and two guys in the club this year!!  We have had three and three but never been a majority in favor of the young women.

I thought you were the Moon and I was your Wolverine. Turns out you're the Trickster, and I'm just the fool who got played.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #260 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Ronin84 wrote on Feb 17th, 2011 at 7:05pm:
I am hesitant to invite students to "join" groups...though I do point out that the web is a great place for them to "research" the games we play, and I know that there are sites out there that they can find to help them with backgrounds and other rule information.

I don't think it's an issue here of course but I have to be careful for a variety of reasons!

They have never played a Supers game before and your not going to believe this but there are four girls and two guys in the club this year!!  We have had three and three but never been a majority in favor of the young women.

Well instead of inviting them, you could just provide a list of sites catering to V&V players, and list it, that way if they want to swing by, and check us out they can.

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #261 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Welcome,

And when I was a teacher, I used to have a V&V group with them as well.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #262 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Elongated Man wrote on Feb 4th, 2011 at 1:14am:
Hi.

My name is Larry.

And I am a game-aholic.

I missed seeing this before, somehow.  Welcome, Larry!   Smiley

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #263 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 12:43pm
Print Post  

Victrix
Waraxe
Shockwave
Impact
Psion
Tempest

Welcome, Ronin!  Sounds like you've got the start of a fun campaign so far.  Hope you stick around and become part of the regular community here!   Smiley

IP Logged

Ronin84
Sidekick

Reply #264 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Feb 18th, 2011 at 12:43pm:

Victrix
Waraxe
Shockwave
Impact
Psion
Tempest

Welcome, Ronin!  Sounds like you've got the start of a fun campaign so far.  Hope you stick around and become part of the regular community here!   Smiley

I think that I will, I've been looking for something simple that I can use with the high school kids and with my own kids and their friends!

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #265 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Ronin84 wrote on Feb 18th, 2011 at 2:02pm:
I think that I will, I've been looking for something simple that I can use with the high school kids and with my own kids and their friends!

That's one of the fun things about V&V, you can make it as simple, or as complicated as simple as you like. While I'm thinking about it, any chance your players would be willing to allow you to post their character write-ups?

YIM  
IP Logged

Ronin84
Sidekick

Reply #266 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Feb 19th, 2011 at 11:23am:
Ronin84 wrote on Feb 18th, 2011 at 2:02pm:

That's one of the fun things about V&V, you can make it as simple, or as complicated as simple as you like. While I'm thinking about it, any chance your players would be willing to allow you to post their character write-ups? 

I'll ask them, as long as you don't know who they are, it shouldn't be an issue...is there any order you want or just post as I have time?

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #267 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Ronin84 wrote on Feb 19th, 2011 at 11:23pm:
I'll ask them, as long as you don't know who they are, it shouldn't be an issue...is there any order you want or just post as I have time?

They can remain anonymous, and don't worry about posting in any particular order, as it really shouldn't matter.

YIM  
IP Logged

IndieComicsFan
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #268 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Hello,

Just realized I was supposed to post here first.

I am pretty sure that I was here at the old forums and used to get into political debates with John(Not doing that at gaming forums anymore...even in "off topic" sub-forums). No idea what my handle was.

I have not played V&V in a LONG time but I still buy and collect the RPG stuff and still maintain an interest in game design/mechanics and I am still a comic book reader and collector.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #269 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 11:23am
Print Post  
IndieComicsFan wrote on Feb 20th, 2011 at 10:18am:
Hello,

I am pretty sure that I was here at the old forums and used to get into political debates with John(Not doing that at gaming forums anymore...even in "off topic" sub-forums). No idea what my handle was.

I have not played V&V in a LONG time but I still buy and collect the RPG stuff and still maintain an interest in game design/mechanics and I am still a comic book reader and collector.

Welcome, glad to have your aboard.

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #270 - Feb 21st, 2011 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Hello,

Welcome, Indie!  So why don't you play V&V anymore?  Do you play any other RPGs?

Good to have you here!   Smiley

IP Logged

IndieComicsFan
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #271 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Feb 21st, 2011 at 1:43pm:
Hello,

Welcome, Indie!  So why don't you play V&V anymore?  Do you play any other RPGs?

Good to have you here!   Smiley

I only play computer RPGs now days. I just cannot invest the time, prep-work, etc. and finding a group of RPGers who are also into comic book superheroes and also into V&V(as opposed to Champions, Mutants & Masterminds, etc.) is damned near impossible anyway. I am still a big fan of Jeff Dee, role playing game designs and so forth so I still buy and collect V&V(and Living Legends) stuff. Just got my print version of the newest V&V 2.1 yesterday(and I had previously bought the PDF version through Drive Thru RPG).

As for other RPGs...same story. Cannot invest the time and effort, plus most gamers are into terribly designed RPGs around here it seems(D&D, Warhammer FRP, the original Marvel Superheroes).

IP Logged

haywire
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #272 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 1:06am
Print Post  
Hello all,

I was the last minute addtion to the Bill's Gary Con game.  I signed up here in the hopes that someone can tell me how it concluded.  Yes, I arrived late and left early.  Not my plan, but thats how it goes sometimes.

Back in the day (mid to late 80's) I both ran and played V&V.  We had a small group of four or five players at any given time.  There were lots of memorable adventures, heros and villians.  Somewhere in my archives they may still exist.

In more recent history, at Gary Con 2 (last year) I ran a very abreviated V&V game Sunday morning for the guys with whom I had traveled to the con (we had agreed earlier that each of us would bring something to run for the times we might otherwise not be able find our way into another game).  Anyways, I was suprised at how many people came by and wanted in on the game. I thought V&V was pretty much dead and buried. But the interest people showed made me think that perhaps I'd try running a V&V event at Gary Con 3. 

When time came to start seriously consider it, I checked the Gary Con site and found that none other than Bill Willingham would be running a campaign for the entire weekend.  And not only that, but Jeff Dee and Jack Herman were going to be there too. I quickly decided I wasn't about to compete for attention with them. Plus, I wanted in on that game! 

Unfortunately (for me) as I read further I found that it would be an invitiation only event, and everything else I read in the Gary Con forums indicated that there was a mad scramble on to get an invite.  So I resigned myself to the notion that I wouldn't get to play, and instead looked forward to hovering over the game between whatever other (lesser) events for which I could sign up. Keep in mind, at this point I had no idea that 2.1 had come out last year, that 3.0 is in the works, or that either the MHG website or this one even existed.

Next, its Friday morning at Gary Con 3.  I wander into the gaming floor a little early and manage to catch Bill while he is setting up. I introduced myself and we chatted briefly. He had a lot of work ahead of him, so I tried not to distract him for too long.  I wandered off to see who else was setting up and to see who I could spot from last year that I could remember.

I did eventually make it back around to the V&V table, at which point the game was underway, and they were in the midst of the first pitched battle, a classic hero vs. hero fight with the bad guys hiding in plain sight agitating. It was somewhere along here I guess that I was just nosy enough without being obnoxious to get invited to join.  It seems one of the invitees (I've since learned it was Justice) had to cancel at the last minute, leaving the Untouchables with an open slot.  Naturally, I agreed to join, but I waited until the conclusion of the current battle.

I won't go into details about the rest of the campaign, because several others are doing such an excellent job in posts on other threads. Plus, there is the fact that I ended up having to bail early to catch my flight back to Orlando.  I think next year I'll plan on flying out Monday instead.

Anyways, the campaign was every shade of awesome imaginable. Getting to play in Bill's campaign with Jeff and Jack (and the rest of you too), was quite inspiring. I'm still thinking I'd like to run a V&V event at Gary Con 4, but Bill has placed the bar awfully high.  I suppose though, if a few others would also run V&V events, I could blend one in quite easily. Bill did say he would like a chance to play next year, and I for one feel the need to make sure that happens.

IP Logged

Scott H
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #273 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Hey, newly registered, fan of all kinds of RPGs, especially superhero ones. In fact, 1st edition V&V was one of my first RPGs, for Christmas year after I was introduced to D&D.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #274 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Scott H wrote on Apr 5th, 2011 at 8:34pm:
Hey, newly registered, fan of all kinds of RPGs, especially superhero ones. In fact, 1st edition V&V was one of my first RPGs, for Christmas year after I was introduced to D&D. 

Welcome! I too got a copy of 1st edition V&V about a year after I started playing D&D.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #275 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
haywire wrote on Apr 3rd, 2011 at 1:06am:
Hello all,

I was the last minute addtion to the Bill's Gary Con game.  I signed up here in the hopes that someone can tell me how it concluded.  Yes, I arrived late and left early.  Not my plan, but thats how it goes sometimes.

Back in the day (mid to late 80's) I both ran and played V&V.  We had a small group of four or five players at any given time.  There were lots of memorable adventures, heros and villians.  Somewhere in my archives they may still exist.

In more recent history, at Gary Con 2 (last year) I ran a very abreviated V&V game Sunday morning for the guys with whom I had traveled to the con (we had agreed earlier that each of us would bring something to run for the times we might otherwise not be able find our way into another game).  Anyways, I was suprised at how many people came by and wanted in on the game. I thought V&V was pretty much dead and buried. But the interest people showed made me think that perhaps I'd try running a V&V event at Gary Con 3. 

When time came to start seriously consider it, I checked the Gary Con site and found that none other than Bill Willingham would be running a campaign for the entire weekend.  And not only that, but Jeff Dee and Jack Herman were going to be there too. I quickly decided I wasn't about to compete for attention with them. Plus, I wanted in on that game! 

Unfortunately (for me) as I read further I found that it would be an invitiation only event, and everything else I read in the Gary Con forums indicated that there was a mad scramble on to get an invite.  So I resigned myself to the notion that I wouldn't get to play, and instead looked forward to hovering over the game between whatever other (lesser) events for which I could sign up. Keep in mind, at this point I had no idea that 2.1 had come out last year, that 3.0 is in the works, or that either the MHG website or this one even existed.

Next, its Friday morning at Gary Con 3.  I wander into the gaming floor a little early and manage to catch Bill while he is setting up. I introduced myself and we chatted briefly. He had a lot of work ahead of him, so I tried not to distract him for too long.  I wandered off to see who else was setting up and to see who I could spot from last year that I could remember.

I did eventually make it back around to the V&V table, at which point the game was underway, and they were in the midst of the first pitched battle, a classic hero vs. hero fight with the bad guys hiding in plain sight agitating. It was somewhere along here I guess that I was just nosy enough without being obnoxious to get invited to join.  It seems one of the invitees (I've since learned it was Justice) had to cancel at the last minute, leaving the Untouchables with an open slot.  Naturally, I agreed to join, but I waited until the conclusion of the current battle.

I won't go into details about the rest of the campaign, because several others are doing such an excellent job in posts on other threads. Plus, there is the fact that I ended up having to bail early to catch my flight back to Orlando.  I think next year I'll plan on flying out Monday instead.

Anyways, the campaign was every shade of awesome imaginable. Getting to play in Bill's campaign with Jeff and Jack (and the rest of you too), was quite inspiring. I'm still thinking I'd like to run a V&V event at Gary Con 4, but Bill has placed the bar awfully high.  I suppose though, if a few others would also run V&V events, I could blend one in quite easily. Bill did say he would like a chance to play next year, and I for one feel the need to make sure that happens.

Hey there, Haywire!  I somehow missed this post earlier.  It was awesome playing with you and getting to know you, and hopefully I'll see you again (maybe at next year's Gary Con).  It would be awesome if you'd stick around (at both this site and at the MHG forums).   Smiley

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #276 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Scott H wrote on Apr 5th, 2011 at 8:34pm:

Welcome, Scott!   Smiley

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #277 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Welcome Scott. Smiley

IP Logged

Galieo
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #278 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Just a quick introduction, I always enjoyed V&V and just dusted off the books to play some light-hearted comicbook inspired games with my children.

This site looks like a great resource!

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #279 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Welcome aboard. I think it's great that we've got all these new members registering, and that many of them are starting to introduce their kids to playing RPGs.

YIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17
Topic Tools

>