Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Surgery (Read 2225 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Surgery
Apr 18th, 2009 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
Fighting crime is a dangerous business.  Sometimes you have to go under the knife!    With my critical hit rules, surgery is sometimes the only way to regain hits or to get back on your feet.  Here are the rules I made on the fly.

Getting surgery causes 2d8 damage to the patient, which they, of course, can not roll with.  This damage is modified by the surgeon's skill.   You take the damage modifier of the surgeon and subtract it from the 2d8 damage of the procedure.

Also the surgeon needs to roll Id20  ( I is his intelligence score) to see if he is successful.  It it is not successful, then the damage is taken but no positive results are gained.   It needs to be done again, and with more risk, as the patient has less hits!

After each surgery the patient rolls Ed20.  If he fails the roll he permanently loses a point of Endurance.    This simulates wear and tear.   Its best to avoid injuries after all.

And then,  don't forget to roll to see if the damage taken from the surgery is critical!      If it is, treat this as complications from the surgery.
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2009 at 11:31pm by John »  

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Re: Surgery
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2009 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
I like this rule, but have a question, or actually more a curiosity, around patient "powers" that can affect the surgery. Like something that might be involuntary to the patient (e.g. invulnerability, invincibility, skil enhancements, etc).

If the doctor has really "smart" powers but nothing else, do the instruments used during surgery become an issue? Maybe I'm over thinking it, and I don't want to make it complicated, but I was just curious the thought process behind this.

Also, depending on the type of patient, surgery might require special skills (not just a medical degree). An easy example, though not a great one, is cyborg or robotic body parts, or foreign body parts. Would a normal surgeon also need a knowledge area in lets say robotics to perform surgery on a robotic/cyborg patient? And if not, does the I roll become d100?

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2009 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Good Ideas!   Really good.  Lets brainstorm something.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2009 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
I just tried brainstorming, but I failed my intelligence roll.

Grin

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2009 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Yes,  the intelligence of the doctor would make it easier to operate on someone with an abnormal physiology.    Certain powers would also hinder the doctor.   Biological armour would have to be broken open before surgery could happen.   Also invulnerablity would be a problem.  I remember a Superman comic when the doctor had to expose Superman to kryptonite inorder to soften his skin so he could remove a magic bullet.   
   A doctor operating on a cyborg or a guy with bionics would need the appropriate knowledge areas or risk harming the patient.

IP Logged

Chimaera
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Do you feel that quantifying and modeling surgery in the game is necessary?  I mean, I see one of two possibilities:  it's characters hurt badly enough to require surgical intervention, which basically becomes a plot point.  Such plot points, it seems to me, are best just handled by GM fiat, no?  The other possibility is having a PC who is a surgeon and you want him or her to have to roll to determine how successful (or not) he or she is.  At this point, though, we're talking more about a skill-system, one of the gaps in the V&V game-as-written -- rather than picking this one instance of skill, wouldn't it make more sense to try and come up with a general skill system?

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
I do use a skill system in my game.   And to tell the truth, I haven't yet used the surgery rules in my game as of yet.   No player got that beat up yet.

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #7 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Wonderful rule.
I would leave it on the fly. No sense making a skills system when the game doesn't require that. Plus it denotes back to the "I" factor being the most crucial aspect of doing this (Such as the case with a character who could possibly be dying and in order to save them a "qualified" individual might be able to save them).
I like the damage factor a lot to the surgery. But I would add once and if the surgery is a success. The character in question IS stablized and from then on only needs rest. I would say slow down the healing process by half (same for POW) to simulate how dire surgery is.
Good on the fly rule.

G7

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #8 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Apr 18th, 2009 at 11:30pm:
Getting surgery causes 2d8 damage to the patient, which they, of course, can not roll with.  This damage is modified by the surgeon's skill.   You take the damage modifier of the surgeon and subtract it from the 2d8 damage of the procedure.

Here are some general thoughts.

Unless a special attack or poison, etc., was in place, or the character faced an unexpectedly bad consequence from a missed attack or failed inventing attempt, I don't see surgery coming into play very often.

Even then, there's surgery and then there's surgery.

I might treat minor surgery as a devitatalization attack (3d10 power points), since it won't incapacitate a patient.

With major surgery, I basically see patients losing all their hit points, then recovering normally.

For highly unusual procedures, the physician might need to make an Intelligence save (d20) or even make an inventing attempt to repair the damage. An Endurance save by the pateint (d20 or d100) might be necessary as well to prevent a lingering impairment in the case of a special attack, etc. This would be a lasting result of the initial injury--not a side effect of the surgery. Also, this would be a rare event. The kind of things that happens once every 10-20 years of a super-group book.

As an aside, I don't see many instances in comics when characters have to keep going under the knife. But I could see that happening, perhaps, in a grittier, pulp campaign.
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2009 at 9:27pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #9 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
So far in the ten or so years I have used this house rule, it came into play twice.  And both on NPCs.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #10 - Dec 28th, 2009 at 12:25am
Print Post  
SKill: Emergency Medical Care. 

With this skill a person can treat a wounded character's critical hit.  While they can not close it up and heal it without the proper medical equipment, they can slow down the damage the victum takes from the wound.
Normal, untreated critical wounds bleed and cause the character to suffer one damage a turn until they are dead or the wound is treated.

The character with this skill must roll  Id20.  The lower the roll the better the treatment.

Here is a rule of thumb chart.

If they roll a success of 1-5 the  they only take 1 damage per minute.

6-10  1 damage per five minutes.
11-15  1 damage per ten minutes.
16-20  1 damage per 20 minutes
20-   The wound is closed, regular healing can now take place.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #11 - Dec 29th, 2009 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Sep 2nd, 2009 at 10:43pm:
So far in the ten or so years I have used this house rule, it came into play twice.  And both on NPCs.

Among our Skills we have a "Surgery" one.  It too rarely comes up.

One memorable time for us was when a former PC (who had been kidnapped) was found with explosives inside of him.  One of the characters - a doctor (formerly a plastic surgeon, before he'd become a superhero years before) was forced to do 'field surgery' right then and there.  Quite dramatic and not the usual thing that happens in an adventure!

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #12 - Dec 29th, 2009 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
I had almost the same thing happen when we were in our teens.  An NPC was shot in the chest, and the hero had to use his lazer powers to do some quick surgery as the bullet was too close to his heart, or what ever, were in our teens.   He had to roll vs his Ad20 to save the life of a beloved NPC.   And I made this all happen on a whim, just for some drama in the story.    It worked then.

IP Logged

>