Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Will Stat? (Read 7939 times)
Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Will Stat?
Jun 10th, 2009 at 9:53am
Print Post  
So anyway, I'm of the opinion that you don't need a Will stat in V&V as the Charisma stat is already covering that off.

Here's my case for Charisma as Will, in a nutshell:

In the real world: People that are leaders (higher Cha) are usually confident and self assured (higher Will).

In the comics: Characters Charisma and Will correspond more often than not:
On the higher end: Doctor Strange, Professor X, Doc Doom, Original Green Lantern, the Phantom Stranger, the Spectre, Dark Phoenix, Raven, Superman, Darkseid, Thor, Captain America, Doc Savage, the Shadow, Reed Richards, Magneto, Red Skull, Ras Al Ghul, Batman, the Joker, Daredevil, Elektra, the Kingpin, the Spirit, Silver Surfer, the Beast, Dick Tracy, Dr. Fate, Lex Luthor, Galactus, Black Bolt, Loki, Odin, Shazam, and many more.

On the lower end: The Toad, Paste Pot Pete, Frankenstein's monster, early Wonder Man, Yellowjacket, Electrocutioner (from the Destroyers), early Thing, early Spider-Man, early Hawkeye and more.

Of the small percentage that buck the trend, most can be explained via V&V Weaknesses.

In the V&V rules:
-Charisma is described as 'a personal aura,' not physical attractiveness.

-When you want to build a Professor X type or a Dr. Strange type or a Phoenix type, you roll for powers on the Magic/Psionics table. There are only two Heightened Stats there: Intelligence and Charisma. Yet we all agree Charles, Stephen and Jean all have monster Wills.

-A victim of an Emotion Control must save vs. Charisma to break free. If there was a Will stat you'd use that here, you would save vs. Will.

-A target of Mind Control or Emotion Control attacks may be harder to hit if he has a higher Charisma (read Will) than the attacker.
Wouldn't Will play into psionic combat? It's already there as Charisma.

-Mind Control range is Int x Cha / 5. What does how rotten you are have to do with this kind of thing? Again, it makes perfect sense if you read Cha as Will.

-Cosmic Awareness chance to succeed is modified by your Charisma. Any other game system, that would be Will or Int.

-Water Breathing B: After Charisma hours out of the water, the amphibious character is fatigued. This only makes sense if Charisma is Will.

-Telepathy: Again, Int and Cha are the defining stats. Any other game it's Will and/or Int.

-Morale saves are affected by Reaction rolls (ie: your Charisma). Makes sense that your Will would factor into your willingness to fight on against the odds.
Many assume that a Will stat should affect your hit points, but wouldn't it really affect your morale? It doesn't mean that they'll need another pass with the laser rifle to take out Professor X. It means that even when he's beaten to a pulp, he won't give up.

Almost every psionic power in the game uses Charisma somehow to define its parameters.

The idea that your Will and Charisma should rise as you gain experience makes sense. You're more combat ready, more self assured.

You could change the name of Charisma to Will in V&V and be good to go.

As a GM: Ends the tradition of Charisma being the dump stat!

Thoughts?

IP Logged

Chimaera
Ex Member

Re: Will Stat?
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Jun 10th, 2009 at 9:53am:
So anyway, I'm of the opinion that you don't need a Will stat in V&V as the Charisma stat is already covering that off.

I tend to disagree.

Here's my case for Charisma as Will, in a nutshell:

In the real world: People that are leaders (higher Cha) are usually confident and self assured (higher Will).

This seems to me to be unsupported.  Will doesn't imply confidence or self-assurance, for one thing.  And the example of Bill Clinton, an extremely charismatic man and leader of the free world demonstrating dubious Will in not resisting the temptation to womanize, even at the risk of great personal cost.

In the comics: Characters Charisma and Will correspond more often than not:
On the higher end: Doctor Strange, Professor X, Doc Doom, Original Green Lantern, the Phantom Stranger, the Spectre, Dark Phoenix, Raven, Superman, Darkseid, Thor, Captain America, Doc Savage, the Shadow, Reed Richards, Magneto, Red Skull, Ras Al Ghul, Batman, the Joker, Daredevil, Elektra, the Kingpin, the Spirit, Silver Surfer, the Beast, Dick Tracy, Dr. Fate, Lex Luthor, Galactus, Black Bolt, Loki, Odin, Shazam, and many more.

There are also plenty of examples where they don't.  Guy Gardner, for example, being a classic high Will, low Charisma type.  In general, characters that are largely mentally based, you can make arguments for *all* of those features to be high.  There will certainly be a high incidence of characters with both Charisma and Will being rated highly.  But they are still distinct (both can be high, but not necessarily the same) and there are still significant counter-examples.  Not to mention that the list provided is hardly uncontroversial.

On the lower end: The Toad, Paste Pot Pete, Frankenstein's monster, early Wonder Man, Yellowjacket, Electrocutioner (from the Destroyers), early Thing, early Spider-Man, early Hawkeye and more.

Of the small percentage that buck the trend, most can be explained via V&V Weaknesses.

Again, I think your examples are debatable and hardly conclusive.  There are also numerous counter-examples as well.  And lastly, having two distinct characteristics that covary is hardly an argument for blending them.  Your logic lends itself to the blending of Strength and Endurance, for example. 

In the V&V rules:
-Charisma is described as 'a personal aura,' not physical attractiveness.

Right.  And?  That's a really old confusion that I don't see people make anymore.  I don't see anyone conflating Charisma with Appearance.

-When you want to build a Professor X type or a Dr. Strange type or a Phoenix type, you roll for powers on the Magic/Psionics table. There are only two Heightened Stats there: Intelligence and Charisma. Yet we all agree Charles, Stephen and Jean all have monster Wills.

And thus, many folks have added a Will stat -- the above is kind of circular, dude.  Of course, the game as written doesn't have a will stat.  That same power list *does* contain Willpower, though, doesn't it?  That's still recognized by the authors of the game as distinct.

-A victim of an Emotion Control must save vs. Charisma to break free. If there was a Will stat you'd use that here, you would save vs. Will.

Right.  Because the argument for those that include a Will stat is that it deserves to be included, despite being missing in the original game.

-A target of Mind Control or Emotion Control attacks may be harder to hit if he has a higher Charisma (read Will) than the attacker.
Wouldn't Will play into psionic combat? It's already there as Charisma.

You seem to be arguing against a point nobody is making.  Sure, the game as written may lump Will into Charisma.  That in no way implies that there isn't a good reason to make it a distinct characteristic.

-Mind Control range is Int x Cha / 5. What does how rotten you are have to do with this kind of thing? Again, it makes perfect sense if you read Cha as Will.

It also makes sense if you see Charisma as your ability to exert force in a mental/social milieu, sort of a mental Strength -- Will would be more analogous to mental Endurance.  At least, that's how it works in my house-rule.

-Cosmic Awareness chance to succeed is modified by your Charisma. Any other game system, that would be Will or Int.

Can you support this contention?  And of course it makes sense to use Charisma -- you're coercing answers out of the universe. 

-Water Breathing B: After Charisma hours out of the water, the amphibious character is fatigued. This only makes sense if Charisma is Will.

Again, you're arguing beside the point -- as I said, just because the rules as written sometimes treat Charisma as some form of Will, it doesn't mean it works well or shouldn't be house-ruled.

-Telepathy: Again, Int and Cha are the defining stats. Any other game it's Will and/or Int.

Dude, you persist in being circular -- it is well known that V&V as originally written doesn't have a Will stat.  Continuing to point at how it isn't in the game is kind of pointless.  And actually, charisma is *often* used as a defining characteristic for telepathy.  It certainly is in various iterations of d20 and d20 Modern -- in the WotC psionics rules, in Steve Kenson's psychic rules.  You're making circular (and incorrect) presumptions without offering support or evidence.

-Morale saves are affected by Reaction rolls (ie: your Charisma). Makes sense that your Will would factor into your willingness to fight on against the odds.

Right -- thus overloading and muddying the Charisma stat, which is why many use a Will stat, so that that distinct dimension of a character can be modeled distinctly.

Many assume that a Will stat should affect your hit points, but wouldn't it really affect your morale? It doesn't mean that they'll need another pass with the laser rifle to take out Professor X. It means that even when he's beaten to a pulp, he won't give up.

Many, many characters endure more damage and take more punishment by sheer willpower.  It happens *often* in comics, so often to be a trope of the genre.  Will would absolutely contribute to hit points.

Almost every psionic power in the game uses Charisma somehow to define its parameters.

Because the game as written only *has* Int and Charisma.  What else are they going to use?

The idea that your Will and Charisma should rise as you gain experience makes sense. You're more combat ready, more self assured.

Any stat can increase over time if you train it.  This seems to be a non-point.

You could change the name of Charisma to Will in V&V and be good to go.

Not really -- while you can point to a number of characters with high rankings in both, there are plenty of characters who aren't terribly charismatic who have high Wills.  Lumping them together makes no sense.  Most of the X-Men, for example, have exceptional Wills -- they are strong-willed and minded, partially by training and partially due to their status as outsiders.  But they do not all have a high Charisma.   

Thoughts?

Mashing Will into Charisma isn't necessary to keep it from being a dump-stat.  The way my house ruled version of the stats work is that you have two scopes:  the physical and mental/social and three axes of interaction -- effect, resistance and control.  Strength and Charisma are the (respectively) physical and mental/social effect-causing stats, Endurance and Will are the physical and mental/social resistance stats and Agility and Intelligence are the physical and mental/social control/adeptness stats.  It works well, it allows for good modeling of existing characters, as well as good, varied ground for creating new ones.  Personally, I see lots of good reasons to have Will as a distinct stat.
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2009 at 10:50am by »  

IP Logged

Chimaera
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Something else occurs to me, thinking of real world examples -- athletes require a high-degree of will.  Sure, they train their bodies, but it is their will that keeps them going, that makes them deal with the pain and the sacrifices that they need to make to perform at an elite level.  This provides a wealth of examples of high Will, low Charisma types. 

In terms of psychology, measures of what we think of as will also vary independently of the features that we associate with Charisma.  The ability to delay gratification, for example, is utterly orthogonal to measures of things live introversion vs. extroversion.  There are many good reasons to model them as distinct characteristics.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
My my my.
What a well mannered, respectful, normal, sane, well adjusted human being we have here.

Who would ever suspect the truth?

Sadly, I've seen the truth and have no interest in playing along with the deeply demented psychodrama.
I mean, internet flame wars? Really?

Anyone without a secret agenda have any thoughts about the above?  Smiley

IP Logged

Chimaera
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
The agenda isn't secret:  you expressed an opinion, solicited feedback and I gave you some.  You are, of course, absolutely free to ignore what I posted. 

Dude, why the drama?

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
DF, I invited Chimera over here. I don't always agree with his views, so that shouldn't matter. He's a long time V&V gamer, who's got some really great ideas, and I for one would like to hear them, just as I'd like to hear what anyone decides to post. Just because i don't see eye to eye, with someone, shouldn't stop me from being able to have conversation with them, about a subject we both enjoy.

While I'm not the owner or a mod, I'd like to ask that any personal beefs guys may, or may not have with one another be left at the door, or taken to PMs. I think everyone here would really like this board to stay strictly about the gaming. So gents, how about we get back to the original topic? Sound fair to everyone?  If anyone feels I've been out of line, shoot me a PM, and we can take it up there. I'll now step down off my soapbox, and return you to your original discussion.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 2:55pm
Print Post  

Our most munchkiny player has been known to refer to Charisma as being the "worthless" stat.    Smiley

IP Logged

Chimaera
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
It's only a dump stat if you let it be.  It's as much (or more) on the GM as it is on the players.  If there is no utility or advantage to it, they have every reason to treat it as a dump stat.  It's up to the GM to make sure that it remains valuable.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Amazing.
While on a superhero related site, I'm being framed by my new, fiendishly diabolical arch-nemesis whose name fits perfectly with what's going on.

I think I'm going to like having my own personal arch-villain.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Ok, back to Charisma / Will:

Here's a house rule I use to help make Charisma more useful, inspired by Fear Rolls from Call of Cthulhu.

Morale Checks/Cool Rolls:

When something really bad or insane happens (like the arrival of Galactus), a character rolls one d20 against their Cool (Charisma + 1/2 their level) to see if they lose their cool.

If the roll is equal to or lower than their Cool, they keep calm.
If it’s higher than their Cool then they suffer a -1 penalty per point over their score on every roll. Every turn, this modifier is lessened by one point (So it takes 8 turns to wear away a -8).

The GM may add modifications to Cool, depending on the direness of the situation.

Comic book examples:
-Batman has a skill called Intimidation. If he succeeds on his skill, he can force Cool rolls on opponents. Low-Charisma, low level goons get so scared by Batman that they can’t hit him with machine guns.

-Early Wonder Man freezes up when faced with the all-powerful Count Nefaria.

Also, a person can calm others. By taking an action to talk (or yell or bark orders) they can raise everyone else's Cool score by their cool roll reaction modifier, to talk them down from their state of panic, etc. (Thereby quickening the duration of the negative modifiers).

Comic book example:
-Captain America’s speechifying to WW2 infantrymen or low-level Avengers, like Wonder Man.

Game notes: I don't force Cool Rolls from events often. And once the PCs are over 4th level, they'll make their rolls most of the time anyway, which makes sense.
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2009 at 4:51pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #10 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Yo, Yo, Yo. The V&V game combines popularity with goodness (or badness) with some psychic defense. If you like it that way, keep it that way. Simple as that. Word.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #11 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Yes, lets keep this a pretty much bicker free place.   I used to argue on the internet all the time and all it did was make me angry.  And I didn't get superstrength when I was angry.

Back to the point of this thread, I added a will stat to the game.  I think its the missing stat.   I use the intellegence mod for hits, and then I use the to hit and dam mod of aglity.  When you want something and are determined to get it,  you make it happen.

I played it twice so far and its going ok.    It really adds a dimension to the game with out changing it so much.  Its still in the play testing game.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #12 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
I also use charisma for cool checks.   When shot in the arm, or the devil eats your sidekick,  or whenever i decide,  the players have to roll vs their charisma to keep their cool.  The amount OVER their charisma is the deduction they sufferer from ALL die rolls.  They roll every turn and the penalties are cummulative.  Of course the number they roll UNDER their charisma can cancel some of their penalties.  When they are down to zero penalties, they have regained their cool.

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Show some charisma, my friends!
Reply #13 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
Dudes and dudettes! We all know that the V&V rules treat Charisma as Will. If you like it that way, keep it that way. If you don't, then add a sixth ability (which is common in many other games).

Heck, the Marvel and DC games both made clear that psychic resistance was not the same as popularity or leadership or influence over others. True dat!

What's the big deal if other people have different opinions? Going on and on ain't convincing anybody. And yo, statements about archenemies and agendas and what-nots seem to have me convinced that, at least on friendly forums, unbridled Will-fullness ain't necessarily a sign of Charisma. Sometimes they can be opposites.

Isn't it ironic, don't you think? (Alanis Morissette)

So be kind, and dont lose your mind. (from the Rent soundtrack)
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2009 at 11:12pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #14 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
That's what I've always liked about V&V, it's so flexible. Add a stat, drop this, add a new ability. No other game seems to capture the same feel.

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #15 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
Yes, the flexibility of V&V is its greatest asset.  The rules actualy tell you to change the rules if you need to.

Ironically, this also cost me a player as he was too uptight to play in a game that didn't itemize everything.  He would make sheets for everything, and then catorgorise the sheets and then  sort the sheets...

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #16 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
I'm trying to figure out how he could wipe his behind, with his cheeks being that tight. Seriously, I wish people like that would just relax, it's friggin game. I'm anal, but damn, that's ridiculous. Roll Eyes

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #17 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Jun 10th, 2009 at 11:34pm:
I'm trying to figure out how he could wipe his behind, with his cheeks being that tight. Seriously, I wish people like that would just relax, it's friggin game. I'm anal, but damn, that's ridiculous. Roll Eyes 

He freaked out because I refused to write out a list of potential skills that one could get.  I told him," think of a skill you want, and in two seconds we can make the rules."  This was not enough for him.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #18 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
Ok, if you do decide to use will as a state, and I do;  then what comic characters do you think would have high wills?   Just like Superman would be the best example of High Strength, who would  be a good example of high wills?

A few off the top of my head are
Proff X
Black Bolt; there was a good issue of the Inhumans explaining the will needed to control his voice, and how he had to meditate before sleeping to will himself not to mutter in while sleeping.
Batman
Captain America

and the wildcards; 

the Punisher and the Spirit.

While these two get beat up all the time, they push on due to sheer stubborness.    While I would give them both high endurances also,  these two guys are just so determined.

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #19 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
Modok, the big-headed dude who fought the Hulk and took over AIM in Marvel Comics back in the day. Now there's a fella with a lot of Will--and a lot of nerve!

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #20 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 12:10am
Print Post  
On the hero side, I'd list:
Batman (Bruce Wayne)
Nightwing (but he's the Batman now)
Robin (Tim Drake)
Blue Beetle (as in Ted Kord)
Green Lantern (all of them, as their rings are fueled by Willpower)
Wolverine
Wonderwoman
Superman
Capt. America
Professor X
Dr. Strange
Vril Drox (of LEGION/REBELS)
Brainiac 5 (of the Legion of Super Heroes)

On the villain side of the house:
Dr. Doom (he's one determined SOB)
Apocalypse
Lex Luthor
the various Brainiacs
Deathstroke: The Terminator

YIM  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #21 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 1:21am
Print Post  
Lookin' for lot-sa will? How about my buddies on Earth 2?

We got Huntress
We got grownup Robin (he's grittier, and almost prettier than Dick Grayson of Earth I)
We got Wild Cat
We got Hour Man (for short-amounts of time)
We got Dr. Midnight

Not sure about Star Spangled Kid. He's got charm, though. Not sure about will.

And in his own special universe, we got Ray Palmer. He may be small, but he ain't weak. Hank Pym would love to have one-half of this guy's determination.

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #22 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 1:23am
Print Post  
Back in the mainstream DC Universe, Martian Manhunter and Hawkwoman basically define willpower. So do a lot of the seasoned DC pros, come to think of it.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #23 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 9:21am
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Jun 10th, 2009 at 11:11pm:
And yo, statements about archenemies and agendas and what-nots seem to have me convinced that, at least on friendly forums, unbridled Will-fullness ain't necessarily a sign of Charisma. Sometimes they can be opposites.

See? What a magnificent frame job.
Truly I have an arch-nemesis worthy of the name!
Wink

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #24 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 9:25am
Print Post  
Great points.

I can't help but notice that the vast majority (but not all) of the examples, given in replies 18-22, of characters with strong Will, are also great examples of characters with strong Charisma.

Not looking for a fight. Just sayin' is all.

Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2009 at 9:25am by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

Chimaera
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Jun 11th, 2009 at 9:25am:
Great points.

I can't help but notice that the vast majority (but not all) of the examples, given in replies 18-22, of characters with strong Will, are also great examples of characters with strong Charisma.

That's a bit of a subjective call, wouldn't you say?

Let's look at the list of characters mentioned in those posts:

Batman (Bruce Wayne) - yes, absolutely, high Will, high Cha.

Nightwing (but he's the Batman now) - yup, less so than Bruce, but both still high.  Mind you, I'd put his Cha a bit higher than his Will, while I'd do the reverse with Bruce.

Robin (Tim Drake) - highly debatable.  His Charisma in particular shows promise, but he's definitely got a higher Will than Charisma.

Blue Beetle (as in Ted Kord) - Not the most Charismatic hero in the world, here, folks. 

Green Lantern (all of them, as their rings are fueled by Willpower) -- Hal and John definitely have high Charisma and Will.  And yes, all the GLs will have a high Will.  But Guy Gardner practically defines low Charisma.  Likewise, Kyle is definitely nowhere near as charismatic as he is willful.  There are numerous GLs that lack charisma.

Wolverine -- high Will, low or moderate Charisma.

Wonderwoman -- yes, high both, for sure.

Superman -- yes, both high for sure.

Capt. America -- yes, both high for sure.

Professor X -- high Will, absolutely, but Charisma?  Not nearly as much.  He fails almost every time he tries to take direct control of the X-Men.  He moves people with psychic power, not force of personality.  He's actually a bit of a weirdo.

Dr. Strange -- I would argue a case similar to Xavier's here.

Vril Drox (of LEGION/REBELS) -- just because he was nominally the boss, it doesn't mean he has Charisma.  Almost universally disliked and disrespected.

Brainiac 5 (of the Legion of Super Heroes) -- highish Will, but Charisma?  N'uh uh.  High Int though, for sure.

Dr. Doom (he's one determined SOB) -- agreed
Apocalypse -- not so sure about the Charisma here -- he bullies, he doesn't lead.

Lex Luthor -- agreed
the various Brainiacs -- high Will, not Charisma.

Deathstroke: The Terminator -- agreed, high Will and Charisma.

Black Bolt -- yes, high in both.

the Punisher and the Spirit. -- The Spirit?  I couldn't say.  But the Punisher is definitely a case of high Will and low Charisma.

Modok -- high Will, miserably low Charisma -- psychic bully, not a leader, not charming, not much of anything except creepy.

Huntress - yes, both relatively high.
Robin - likewise.
Wild Cat - indeed.
Hour Man - he's been shown to have high Will, but not especially high Charisma.
Dr. Midnight -- arguable on both.  Certainly not weak willed, nor wallpaper.

Star Spangled Kid. He's got charm, though. Not sure about will.  -- I would agree, more charming than willful.

Ray Palmer. A decent Will, but not an especially high one.  Likewise with Charisma.

Martian Manhunter -- both, in spades.

Hawkwoman -- I'm not seeing the argument for Charisma here.

So, respectfully, I disagree with your assessment.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #26 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jun 10th, 2009 at 6:23pm:
And I didn't get superstrength when I was angry.

Then you were obviously on the wrong internet.   Angry  --> "I'm super strong"

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #27 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
I've gotta agree with Chim on this one. A high Charisma, does not equate to a strong will. If you want a real life example, look at the Navy SEALs. These guys have VERY strong wills, but some of the ones I know are the biggest jackasses I've ever met.

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #28 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Or look at some charismatic people that just follow the trend.  Like   George Clooney.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #29 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Jun 11th, 2009 at 8:14pm:
I've gotta agree with Chim on this one. 

This must be the post for which you felt obliged to issue a public apology.
Wink

Seriously, I'm a purist. Or maybe just lazy.
But I can cover it off easy enough with standard powers and weaknesses.
Your SEALs either have low Charisma/Will (plus the skill Willpower) or they have high Charisma/Will and a Psych-based Weakness. Or two.
Smiley

DSumner, John or SF: have you laid out the Will stat somewhere on the site? Sounds like a lot of work. New hit mods (I imagine), modifications to a dozen super power descriptions. Does it play into power points? Movement rates? Carry capacity?
Lay it on me, please.

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #30 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Hey, hey, hey. We always played the game as is with Intelligence and Charisma basically covering the ground of a willpower stat--and ACCEPTING, my brothers, that it didn't always match what we saw in the comics--just like we accepted that D&D didn't match the Hobbit or that Once and Future King.

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #31 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Caveat! That said, I have nuthin' against anyone who uses a house rule to add Mr. Will to the game. Both Marvel and DC's own games made sure to cover it on its own terms, not the same. Word up.
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2009 at 10:22pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #32 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Jun 11th, 2009 at 10:12pm:
dsumner wrote on Jun 11th, 2009 at 8:14pm:
I've gotta agree with Chim on this one. 

DSumner, John or SF: have you laid out the Will stat somewhere on the site? Sounds like a lot of work. New hit mods (I imagine), modifications to a dozen super power descriptions. Does it play into power points? Movement rates? Carry capacity?
Lay it on me, please.

I tried to make it as easy as possible to introduce to the game without adding more charts and making me re write all the character sheets.

Will:  It adds to  the power score of the character.  I use the same hit mod as Intellegence.  And I use the same to hit and damage modifier as aglity.

So it adds to power,  a bit to hits, and to accuracy and damage as well as being the go to stat for most mental powers and some skills and saves.

It doesn't really impact the way the game is played much but being a nitpicky guy it gives me warm fuzzies rolling against will than charisma when needed.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #33 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Seriously, I'm a purist. Or maybe just lazy.
But I can cover it off easy enough with standard powers and weaknesses.

No worries, I've always felt that Willpower was a stat that should have been added to the game. But I'm not going to cry over it. I've played using CHR for years, and if that's what people want, I'm good with it.

Lay it on me, please.

I've got my take written up as a house rule, I'll post it here if you're interested.

YIM  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #34 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
To your credit, Dr. Foom, you have OPENED my eyes to how CONSISTENTLY Misters Jack Herman and Jeff Dee treated Charisma as Will. I'd noticed the combat table defenses, like everybody else, off the bat--and the way charismatic characters could influence cosmic awareness. For the longest time I thought it must be an homage to Dream Girl (cuz Destiny's charisma was closer to average).

But it wasn't till you pointed out that Charisma helps protect fish-out-of-water-breathers that it finally all made sense. Back in the day, I wuz like, "What does popularity or leadership got to do with how long the Lad from Atlantis can survive on land? Maybe they meant to type Endurance instead of Charisma...)

Now, at last, that part makes sense, with Charisma in that case bein' Will instead of grace. So, I think the game is internally consistent in a way I hadn't seen before. I ain't sayin' it exactly matches everyone in comics (even w//Willpower and weaknesses to explain some exceptions). Don't put words in my mouth or think I'm completely won over.

But I Will stay it works within' the game itself--ACCEPTING that it doesn't match the way I always see things in comics (or even the way I saw them in comics as in the 1970s as a kid).
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2009 at 11:54pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

>