Normal Topic Polarboy's Character Creation Guidelines (Read 1731 times)
polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Polarboy's Character Creation Guidelines
Sep 15th, 2009 at 2:24am
Print Post  
Raised on 3d6-in-order D&D, I've always enjoyed the randomness of character generation. But randomness can be unduly harsh, and since many V&V players have certain types of powers in mind, I've come to favor a character-generation system with randomized customization.

Ability Scores
Roll 3d6 eight times. Drop the three lowest scores, then assign the remaining five to SEAIC in any order. Statistically, the final results will tend to include one score of 9-10, two scores of 11-12, and two scores of 13 or higher. Ability scores below 8 are unlikely.

This preserves the feel that V&V characters are built on "real people," but without asking the players to model their characters after themselves.

Most males begin with 4 basic hits, and most females begin with 3 basic hits.

Skills, Powers and Devices
Following most examples from Crisis at Crusader Citadel, heroes start with the equivalent of two powers (or three powers with a weakness).

Three skill-level abilities = two standard powers in most cases. (Minor powers, such as Water Breathing A, count as skill-level abilties.)

Players may choose their powers, but the exact adjustments for heightened abilities are randomly rolled. The same usually holds true for powers/devices with variable effects.

Origin and Background
Players generally choose their characters' origin and back story, influencing which knowledge areas they receive. I allow inheritor when characters have expensive powers (such as Armor B and Android Body).
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2009 at 12:29am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Re: Polarboy's Character Creation Guidelines
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Nice approach to power balance!

How has it served you over the years?

I have a less elegant stab at the same thing here:
http://vanguardhq.blogspot.com/2008/12/detailed-rules-for-superhero-character.ht...

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Sep 15th, 2009 at 3:19pm:
Nice approach to power balance!

How has it served you over the years?

Payers seem comfortable with 2-3 powers, knowing they can select their favorites. (It's hard seeing a player settle for the best options among a randomly-generated list of powers they don't particularly like.)

But with enough safeguards in place to assure that their characters begin with average-to-healthy stats, the randomized ability scores help maintain variety--and avoid the number-crunching negotiations that can take place in a point-based system when characters buy each ability stat.
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2009 at 5:23pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
I used a similar method for character creation.
Though some players still liked to use the random just to see what odd combos they would come up with.

Such as the PC Alloy... who had Stretching and Invulnerability (Basically like the Metal Men).
He was tough... and because of his stretching hard to hurt. He actually used the chara very stealthly and loved to fight normal criminals. Because of his abilities apprehending bank robbers or Jewelry store heists was a breeze for him... cause he could blanket the area with himself and protect pedestrians and attack. Who would have thought that a stretching chara could be that much fun!

But the other players prefered a bigger hand in creating what they wanted to play. (You know... Brick, Scrapper, Artillery, stealth, mentalist, speedster then finally the unusual).

I know with PC Titan he basically chose his powers. Though he ended up TOO strong and I depowered him a bit after discussing the problem with him and coming up with a solution (He was nearing the Behmoth range of strength... in a group like the Crusaders... that was more strength than necessary and most foes could hardly stand up to him). Fortunately for him the solution was simple. The villain that created his powers (OD) and him got into another fight. His transmutation powers again mingled with his unusual physiology and it depowered him to a more managable level.

I know the PC for the cosmic space hero Thunderstar probably couldn't have rolled what he thought it would take to make that type of chara. So the method you mentioned above worked for us very well.
My favorite aspect of him was his Cosmic Awareness... as he could foretell some emergencies or crimes just as they were about to happen or maybe a little before it, IF he sat and sifted cosmically he might get an even larger breadth of time to intervene.

The backgrounds you mentioned were also used in the exact same manner as you stated for yours... kinda weird for someone to make up an techno-armored chara... and end up with mysticism. LOL

Nice job Polarboy... you might make the team yet! LOL

G7

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on Sep 15th, 2009 at 4:28pm:
Payers seem comfortable with 2-3 powers, knowing they can select their favorites. 

Agree with your approach of fewer powers too.

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
I really prefer the random method of power generation.  I would never make someone play a character they didn't like at all, but we have come up with some of the coolest combinations that we would never have selected up front. 

I've mentioned I just started playing again with my kids, and I wanted to play a "low level" campaign.  I had them roll 1 roll on the powers table, and 2 on the skills table.  I was hoping for at least one heightened ability and a skill, with their power being the "focus." 

It worked out pretty well, we did end up with one character who's main power was heightened senses, but we enhanced them to the point that he became pretty much the go to guy for everyone.  He listened in to distant conversations, told them when people were lying, or not.  He was able to detect hidden and danger, so he became the alarm system for the group, and ended up being a lot of fun to play...  Having said that, I don't know who would set out to play a character with only Heightened Senses as a power... Daredevil excluded. Smiley  He did end up with some martial arts weapons, and didn't do to badly.

IP Logged

Mentat
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
I also prefer random generation on powers. I too will never force someone to play a character they aren't happy with, but in most cases a decent toon is usually generated if a player really looks at how to put his powers together to compliment themselves.
I have a plant/swamp thing type character who had light control and animal plant powers. He was basically a human plant with vines. Using inventing the Gm allowed me to create regeneration. My idea was to use my light control as a form of self photosynthesis to heal myself. I think most players just need to sit and use their imagination on how to best utilize their powers. With inventing I created numerous "Plant type" additions. Sneezing spores, Vomit Venom, Clinging vines, etc. I have seen many players take "weaker" powers and do well. If I do see the character is dependent on 1 or 2 weaker powers I will allow them to use inventing to increase them. Anywhere from adding dam or accuracy with them to no backlashes or lowered PR cost.

As far as stats I use 4d6. 1 roll per stat using the 3 highest dice.
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2009 at 7:36pm by Mentat »  

IP Logged

>