Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Magic (Read 4006 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Magic
Jun 10th, 2009 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
I posted this in my house rules thread, but figured it might deserve it's own thread. A variant I've considered using is based on the "Power Pool" concept from Champions. Instead of having a specified list of spells to choose from, the character would basically be allowed to come up with spells on the fly. As long as he could reasonably articulate what he wants to do to the GM, and has the power available to cast the spells, he could do it. Although, I'd place several restrictions on this version to keep it from getting out of hand, and I'd also have the GM set the power requirements for the actual spells. But I think it's simulate some of the things I've seen Dr. Strange and Dr. Fate pull off. Any thoughts?

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Magic
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
I like this idea, but I think its so easy to abuse.  I have been toying with something like it but I have never played it out.    If you do, let me know how it works.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jun 10th, 2009 at 4:07pm:
I like this idea, but I think its so easy to abuse.  I have been toying with something like it but I have never played it out.    If you do, let me know how it works.

The possible abuse is my primary worry, but as I said the PC would have to be able to justify to the GM, who'd have final say so, any action he would want to take. The GM, with PC input, would also dictate the PR, range, and duration, of any spells cast.

YIM  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Whatever works, works. The original spells idea seems slightly modeled after a D&D approach. That can work. But a power like Transmutation might be a good model, too--meaning that there's a lot of leeway in what the power/ability can do. Word!

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
I was tinkering with a similiar idea and I was going to call it "Hex Power".  This would be just like you said, pretty much what ever spell you wanted.  I would make Spells to be like D&D, research and intellegence and such, but Hex Power would be more like a magic based superpower ala Dr Fate or Zatanna.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
How much different would it be from "Probablity Spell" right now that's set at 70% good/ 20% negative/ 10% something else.
  I'm guessing the probability gives the GM the right to decide what is happening and what we are talking about here gives the limited control to the player.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
If you're referring to Wanda's "Hex" power, I'd classify that as more of a "Mutant Power" (which I do believe Jeff Dee & Jack Herman worked out), instead of a magical ability. I've got my own version of Probability Control, posted over in my house rules thread, if you want to take a look at it.

YIM  
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
I'll take a look. I think John had a version listed in his spell list and that was the one I was referring to. I may have been off on the percentages. I had an old character named The Mystic back in the day and he used that spell. Yes a ripoff of The Scarlet Witch power.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on Jun 10th, 2009 at 8:42pm:
How much different would it be from "Probablity Spell" right now that's set at 70% good/ 20% negative/ 10% something else.
  I'm guessing the probability gives the GM the right to decide what is happening and what we are talking about here gives the limited control to the player.

No, its very different. Whereas the probablity spell from the Mystic was based on randomness,  the Hex Power I am talking about here is about control.  The Hero uses Hex Power to call upon a specific effect to happen.  He wants light, he uses Hex to copy the flash power of the light control.  He wants rain, he uses Hex Power to summon rain as the Weather Control power.  This copies the nebulous ablities of comic spellcasters like Dr Strange, Dr Fate and Zatanna.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
That's where I'm out of touch. I know the names and basics of some of the characters but haven't read any comics in so long I don't see the regular uses of their powers. So if it's a "copycat" spell with limitations it should have a roll against something like Int or something else with maybe another deduction just to see if it could work.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #10 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on Jun 10th, 2009 at 10:19pm:
That's where I'm out of touch. I know the names and basics of some of the characters but haven't read any comics in so long I don't see the regular uses of their powers. So if it's a "copycat" spell with limitations it should have a roll against something like Int or something else with maybe another deduction just to see if it could work.

Yup, its a copy cat spell, or power depending how you look at it.  And yes, it should have checks and balances in it, as it could become an abusive power.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #11 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 7:02am
Print Post  
So, any of you guys tried this out, or want to take shot at using this in couple of games, to see how it works out?

YIM  
IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #12 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 2:29am
Print Post  
What about the more powerful spells?
Like Dr Strange's binding Crimson Bands?
Would that spell be akin to a force field (Powered by the chara) with invulnerability on it?... like... maybe in the 30 range. I don't think anyone ever broke them... not even the Hulk (or maybe Hulk broke it once or twice... but most times it could contain even him).

Though I think that the Hex/Transmutation thing is a truely wonderful and insightful idea. (Though it may demand that the GM have his RB on hand to reference PRs for abilities/spells).
I would think about adding a penality PR for simply using Spells that are that free ranging (i.e.; all the powers in the book) of like auto PR3-5+ whatever the power calls for. That way they won't just haphazardly start casting the cheapest spells all the time and making the other team artillery heroes seem like 3rd wheels.
Frankly I think the strain should automatically double the PR cost with a min of 3. Logic behind this is that they have all the powers of the book open to their disposal. For that kind of power... there has to be some sort of penality

G7

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #13 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Guardian7 wrote on Sep 11th, 2009 at 2:29am:
What about the more powerful spells?
Like Dr Strange's binding Crimson Bands?
Would that spell be akin to a force field (Powered by the chara) with invulnerability on it?... like... maybe in the 30 range. I don't think anyone ever broke them... not even the Hulk (or maybe Hulk broke it once or twice... but most times it could contain even him).

Though I think that the Hex/Transmutation thing is a truely wonderful and insightful idea. (Though it may demand that the GM have his RB on hand to reference PRs for abilities/spells).
I would think about adding a penality PR for simply using Spells that are that free ranging (i.e.; all the powers in the book) of like auto PR3-5+ whatever the power calls for. That way they won't just haphazardly start casting the cheapest spells all the time and making the other team artillery heroes seem like 3rd wheels.
Frankly I think the strain should automatically double the PR cost with a min of 3. Logic behind this is that they have all the powers of the book open to their disposal. For that kind of power... there has to be some sort of penality

G7

AS far as individual spells go, the GM and player would work out the exact PR for each. The GM would have final say so on any spell, if he doesn't approve it, the player can't use it. Other than that, I say use your imagination.

YIM  
IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #14 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
What about the GM stating that maybe the PC didn't learn that specfic arena of spells or spell ability... but the player wants to try anyhow? Do you think they could use their inventing % to figure it out? then maybe if it did fail... they could make a save vs. their intelligence to avoid some magical catacalymic failure (which I would say effects an area).

Just throwin stuff out there.

G7

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #15 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 3:11am
Print Post  
I'm all for GM Fiat being used to help move the story along. Say forcing the players to save vs INT, or CHR, or perform a certain task they're not used to dealing with. An example would be the Scarlet Witch trying to control "Chaos Magic" in the JLA/Avengers crossover. She wasn't used to that particular type of magic, and it was a strain for her to control it, and cause it to function the way she wanted it to. I know some players might get upset by that, but the point here is to have a good time simulating comic storylines, not to necessarily "win".
« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2009 at 11:01pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Mentat
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #16 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
I play a Magic user as one of my characters. Luckily I also rolled Heightened Int B as well at creation so I have a good inventing percentage and lots of inventing points.

To combat a Magic user overpowering a campaign when putting together stats of a spell, it usually has a very high power cost. I have many spells over the years and most are either player created and GM modified. Here is a list if some of Arcanus's spells.

"Doomsday Punch" HTH attack PR=10. +1 PR per 1d10 dam added to a max of 10d10. R=1"

"Sloth" PR=5 Attacks as Mind Control. Targets movement and phases are halved. R=10"

"Deadeye" PR=6 Can only be used once per turn, +1 accuracy per +1 PR spent to hit.

"Arcane Healing" 1PR spent = 1PR healed (great for healing teammates) 2PR = 1HP healed R=1""

"Spell Store" Store 1 spell to be released at a later time. PR= spell stored. 24 hour recast time to store another spell.

"Chains of Bonding" Attacks as Paralysis. PR=7 R=30" SV 1d100 vs Str or be rooted in place.

"Mater of the Deep" Waterbreathing A

"Translations" PR=1 10 minute duration. Understand, translate, and communicate foreign and alien languages.

"Elemental Crusader" Duration is 4 turns. Summons Fire Blade +5 to hit, 2d12 damage + HTH pr=4. Summons Ice Shield, 130 ADR PR=4. 24 hour recast time

Thats just a few spells, I have some other inheriant powers, and i have a few items including a 25 PR regain amulet, a summon an imp device, etc.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #17 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Those are cool! Love 'Chains of Bonding,' how you've named them all and your high power cost philosophy. The Elemental Crusaders look really tough, tho!

Welcome to the boards!

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #18 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Here are my favorite two uses of magic in the published adventures!

LodeStone from Opponents Unlimited has a power that drains/absorbs magical energy in the vicinity rather than through a direct attack. The added touch is that the character isn't himself inherently mystic.

Mutation: The LodeStone may deaden all magic within thirty inches by spending one action per turn. PR cost of magic cast in this area is funneled into his own power score; this boost lasts for six hours after these points are absorbed.

A mystical character from "The Dragon of Juompur" magazine adventure has a Cosmic Awareness magic item: It's a talking mirror! So when she asks it a question, the mirror answers yes or no. This is classic! And a lot more fun than simply receiving a yes/no mental impression.

« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2009 at 11:25pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #19 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 2:52am
Print Post  
I turned Lodestone into a Magnetic character.
Never used him as the magic sponge he was suppose to be.
Course I redid so many chara in the book it is ridiculous.
I eventually hope to feature them all in a Post I will call "UNLIMITED OPPONENTS! Revised Menaces (Which I remade the cover to).

I love his design. Dee certainly had a flare for it.

G7

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #20 - Oct 25th, 2009 at 12:10am
Print Post  
Here's a take on a dispelling magic that is worth considering.

In Great Iridium Con, Devilspawn's spell called Elfsbane attacks as Transmutation, Range = 31 inches, PR = 4. Dispels spell effects, magical transmutation, magical paralysis, magical Mind or Emotion Control but not damage or devitalization. Also dispells the powers of magical items, weapons and armor on a special attack for 7 + 1d6 turns.

One of her other spells was clearly inspired by Oscar Wilde.

Portrait: A true likeness of Devilspawn is hidden in Cadair (her magic teleportation tent). This portrait has hit points. If the portrait is in range at the time (240 miles), it will suffer loss of hit points instead of Devilspawn until exhausted--when it will be destroyed. Damage inflicted on the painting will likewise, but transferred to Devilspawn.

The villain has 10 hit points. Since the module doesn't tell us otherwise, I would venture that the magic portrait is supposed to have that many hit points as well.
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2009 at 9:49am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

>