Normal Topic Jumping (Read 2172 times)
Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Jumping
Jun 10th, 2009 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
8.4 Leaping Tall Buildings And Throwing Trucks

In place of the jumping rules set forth in the rulebook, which base jumping ability on Carrying Capacity, use the following formula:

Base Jump = Strength + Agility

Running Jump = Base Jump x .7 (the character must still run at least ˝ the distance on the ground before jumping)

Standing Jump = Running Jump x .5

Vertical Jump = Standing Jump x .3

All totals are given in feet, so divide each total by 5 to determine game ”.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Jumping
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
I use the carrying capacity because  you subtract the weight of the character, AND what ever the character may be carrying at the time of the jump.   

When carrying a person, one can not jump as far as when unencumbered.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
When I make a house rule of any kind (like this one), I often make sure the numbers work by figuring out what an "Average Man" (All Stats are 10) can do, then I take the stereotypical "Olympic-Level Athlete" (as the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe used to call them) with all physical basic attributes at 18, and then I extrapolate what someone with superhuman statistics can do (someone with 25+).

To get truly earth-shattering numbers (like the Hulk's leaping) often requires Speed Bonus: Leaping or other super power adjustments.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
Hey I do the same thing.   Comparing to a guy with all 9's or 10's in the stats.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Okay, someone really needs to go and change some of the forum rules here, as that was extremely annoying!    Angry

It wouldn't let me type out the acronym for "Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe".

Can't some settings be changed to allow some caps?
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2009 at 10:08pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jun 10th, 2009 at 10:05pm:
I use the carrying capacity because  you subtract the weight of the character, AND what ever the character may be carrying at the time of the jump.   

When carrying a person, one can not jump as far as when unencumbered.

While true, you'll find that someone carrying a body and jumping from a burning building will also be able to do amazing things from adrenaline (and that isn't factored in here either).

My rules are so much more grounded in real-life numbers (letting people only jump a couple of game inches, as opposed to the Crouching Tiger-type jumps that we sometimes see in comics) that I think it's simpler not to make it more complicated.  Often a super strong person will be the one carrying somebody, in which case it hardly matters (when you can lift 10,000 lbs, who cares that you're carrying a 200 lb. companion!)

But if there ever is a case where somebody is trying to carry close to what their max. is, the GM should probably not even allow them to jump at all (or require a S % save or whatever).

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Valid points.

IP Logged

>