Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Character Death (Read 3468 times)
Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Character Death
Jun 18th, 2009 at 10:15am
Print Post  
With Steve Rogers returning from the grave (yawn) I thought I'd ask if you've ever had a V&V character die? What happened? Did you feel it was justified? Did he ever return from the dead?

My story: I think I've only had one character killed: a magnetic powered hero with a bionic skeleton. Weakness was a Vulnerability to Sonic attacks.
Well one day some second rate villain in a battle that wasn't particularly crucial, did a special attack on my guy and blew him apart!

It seemed perfectly justified. I just wish it had been a more dramatic, epic conflict or foe, but the dice don't concern themselves with the wishes of men.

What happened next: My guy died at the end of the evening's session, to be continued next week.
During the week I rolled up a new character with the GM.
Randomly got Non-Corporealness and Devitalization Ray in the assortment. So the GM and I agreed that this new character should be the ghost of the newly deceased. New name, costume and a little more vengeance oriented, but him. Funny how well it worked out. Played him for a spell.

A decade later we resurrected the original magnetic guy, saying his remains had been recovered at the time and the government had been working on rebuilding him ever since, so he had a triumphant return then.

What are your stories on V&V character death?

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Re: Character Death
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
It's been about 7 years or so when Christian Darber (Magnum) died. He was my favorite character to date. I've been playing V&V and even D&D with John for like 20 years now, and by far Magnum was my favorite character.

The thing I like best about him was the length of time I adventured with him. The slow leveling and training in skills was well worth it as he became just a juggernaut of a hero.

Main powers/skills were magenetics along with heightened endurance and heightened strength. I remember when rolling the character how all my dice rolls were as high as they can be, and John and I knew this guy was going to last a long time.

I think even John would admit at this point, that there were some weeks were he wanted Magnum to die. It was such a struggle to find a suitable opponent for me. John thought up of some crazy scenarios for me to go against, but I really roll played well with Magnum and was pretty much able to get around most foes one way or the other.

The ironic thing about dieing was, it wasn't my fault really. It was a misstep by another player on my team, choosing to hold their action and giving our foe one more chance at taking me down. I was down to like 1 hit point and virtually no power and the foe made his agility saves and rolled a 1 to take me down for good.  It was an epic battle though. One that lasted a few hours.

In the end, it was the proper way for Magnum to die. Just an epic battle with loads of damage being spewed. But in the end, it was the mishap of another teammate that brought the big man down.

To be honest, I haven't fully enjoyed adventuring since Magnum's death.  Any other character I've created has seemed sub-par, and it's hard to get into playing now.

Anyway, that's my sad story  Cry . And I am leaving out great details because I simply have a horrible memory. I'm sure john can add more light to the battle if he so chooses.

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
You like Magnum better than Dreadnaught?   I didn't know that. 
  I knew your interested diminished but I have to say Channel was a bad ass character too.    You need to make up a new one and get playing again Paul.

Wow, that was seven years ago he died?   Time is flying!

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Who killed Magnum??

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Jun 18th, 2009 at 3:32pm:
To be honest, I haven't fully enjoyed adventuring since Magnum's death.  Any other character I've created has seemed sub-par, and it's hard to get into playing now.

Wow. Cry
For goodness sake, John, resurrect Magnum already so Paul can enjoy playing again!!!

Grin
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2009 at 6:26pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
There's always the Cauldron, but who would be mad enough to use that again.....

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #6 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Hey what's the matter with The Scrapper??!!

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #7 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 11:41am
Print Post  
He's addicted to penises. I cannot relate to the character....

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #8 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Of course Paul. I understand.........

By the way I'm still waiting to hear who caused the demise of the incredible Magnum.
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2009 at 10:12pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 12:28am
Print Post  
John will have to fill in the details there. I wish I had a better memory, it's starting to piss me off.

Wait, who's forum is this again?

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #10 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Character Deaths.

Didn't have any PCs die (Close).

But had a couple of villains and heroes perish.

The heroes that stands out the most was Epsilon and Anateus, when I did my Robots Attack story.

Virtually all the heroes in the states (Crusaders, Justice Patrol, the Guard, etc) were dragged in to a town called Cedarville and there they were battling to hold a marauding army of robots back. I will admit I put too many robots on the playing field.
There were robot bits flying everywhere and all the heroes were getting hurt.

When a small wave of them went underground to try to get underneath the biggest mass of heroes. Anateus saw them and ripped up a sewer top and jumped down to block them. Epsilon saw him, though he didn't know what Anateus was doing. He leaped down there as well and Epsilon sent out a telepathic warning once he realized what they were doing. Anateus was deep in combat and couldn't pull back without letting them through.

Enforcer, Manta Man, (PC) Titan, (PC) Thunderstar all raced that way.
Then there was a massive explosion as the robots detonated and Epsilon was killed.
The explosion knocked everyone else away, except Manta Man and Enforcer. But Enforcer's fields were depleted and the left over robots started spilling out of the ground. So Manta Man was forced to flee with Enforcer.

Titan and Thunderstar started smashing and blasting their way through the mass of robots to reach Epsilon and Anateus, but they were forced to pull back because of the overwhelming number of robots.

BADguyROBOT had captured Anateus (who was knocked out by the explosion) and freed by the invading heroes, (PC) Titan, Dreamweaver, Psistorm, Blue Knight, Empress, (PC) Alloy, (PC) Speed Demon and Captian Cold. Had tracked Anateus using Psistorm's telepathy. (The rest of the heroes were still battling the mass of Robots and the composite one that had sprung up on the battlefield).

They battled the BADguyROBOT and some of his special minions for a bit. But IT was so tough and they were weakening. BADguyROBOT was using an electral feed to power a field around himself (making himself essentially invincible). Anateus and Titan both tried to get the field down, when they succeeded in weakening it. Anateus turned and attacked the power source and was joined by Titan. When they smashed through it, Titan made his End save but Anateus didn't... was zapped by a HUGE electrical current and was killed.
BADguyROBOT summoned his army and that is when Magnet Man, Annilihilator, Electrocutioner and Behemoth showed up to lend a helping hand.
They were sooned joined by the injured other heroes (Those who could) and literally tore the Robot-base apart.

All of them escaping with Magnet Man's help when the base started a self destruct sequence.
The town of Cedarville was destroyed as it collasped into the hole that was the massive underground base.

It was pretty epic. (though a crazy almost out of control fight - the night before the game I had pre-rolled like a hundred attacks (D20) to speed things up and had a massive inititive chart. so it went fast.)

I really hated doing that to Epsilon, I liked him a lot for the amount of times I had used him - but BADguyROBOT was trying to kill them. I had a series of attacks laid out. Anateus made his detect roll, Epsilon saw him... things just fell into place. The robots that were trying to get under the heroes had large bombs inside them so it was a foregone conclusion someone was getting hurt.

I felt sorry for Anateus too... he never really stood out as much of a character for me, until he stood side by side with Titan and beat on BADguyROBOT. I mean after all... he was just a super powered Syn-Tech guard in my game.

With Sister Indigo missing. There was no one to revive them. Their bodies were cryogenically preserved. When Sister Indigo was found 35 days later. She only had a 30% chance of reviving them. Unfortunately... they were both too far gone for her abilities to bring them back.
sad huh...? I think it just made it that more epic.

I think Shatterman was in a coma for months after that fight.
Resonator had a handicap (badly injured leg) due to the fierce beating he took.

G&

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #11 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
One hero died in an explosive death-trap in the lair of Cyberdum in one of the first-edition magazine adventures for V&V. The villain escaped.

The serial killer Garrote strangled another solo hero in the module Alone into the Night. Power point saves to inexplicably escape death failed--so I've never had a character come back from the dead.

Most game-based villains intentionally don't kill, but some are homicidal or at the very least willing to kill when crossed.

Even though death is far less likely in V&V than in some other games, you can't take survival for granted.

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #12 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
I totally agree.
Though this was deep in the campaign... the heroes had never experienced death...

I ended up changing the villain Headhunter from Most wanted Vol 3 because I thought it was just insanely graphic and gory (heads on a belt gaining their powers... Maybe I ought to put up what I did do to him). Because of that entry (Headhunter) I gained the heroes Pulsar and Masher (who I called Smasher - because I thought it was a typo). Otherwise they would have been dead without anyone ever having known who they were... and don't get me wrong... psychos happen... but an Axe weilding head hunting psycho with the ability to steal the abilities of those whose heads hang on his belt... is just plain gruesome.

Oblivia, Obituary and Death (of the Horsemen) are all scarey NPC villains who got pelted pretty badly.
Actually Obituary (From Devil's Domain) is suppose to be some kind of Major Villain in almost the same catagory as Dr. A.

I also assumed that Gravitron (or Gravity, either name works for me) of Devil's Domain was dead. I don't think just simply killing a character or NPC works unless there is some sense of loss. It makes it rather pointless.

I know my heroes stumbled across lots of death of normal people. I think it is an area where you have to tread lightly... I guess it is more accepted in a war-zone world like those of Dungeons and Dragons where evil can be absolute and you rarely have people trying to save others from fires, floods, earthquakes or ungodly Villain attacks.

Like I used Grond (four armed walking disaster) from the Champions system. There were all kinds of people injured and hurt including a woman that got crushed by a car. Nothing like heroes who get their mad on when pedestrians fall.

In one of my earliest games... and the early conceptial creation of the PC Titan... He punched a flaming girl who was attacking a crowd with her flame powers seriously hurting people... he in a rage punched her so hard... she went right through a concrete building... she only had 12 hp... Though she surivied due to quick thinking of the other heroes... essentially every bone in her body was broken, she was physically disabled and I can't remember if we established if she had brain damage. The PC felt horrible... he never considered she wasn't powerful enough to take it. Plus he was so enraged by her senseless attack of citizens he just hit her full on... both hands... and he was STRONG!
Bad scene... technically she probably should have died... but that wasn't the way (at the time), That I played the game. Harsh lesson... but he learned. I didn't give him any negatives to his experience as the girl Blaze had it coming.

When we started over the PC Titan developed a feeler (Hold back D10s of dam) punch... basically assuming everyone was the same physically as a normal human until something indicated otherwise.

In my mind... these games were meant to be fun and as much as possible uplifting. Not full of the strife of life and horrible circumstances that can befall anyone in regular life.

At least in my game... with the characters of Sister Indigo and Lifeguard (a completely revised chara) running around. Death was a little less than it could have been.

But all it takes... is a series of bad die rolls... and your hip deep in it.

G7

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #13 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Hey John!
Did you ever resurrect Magnum so Paul could enjoy playing V&V again?!
Smiley

IP Logged

>