Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Mimic (Read 4643 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Mimic
Jul 10th, 2009 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Mimic:
A) Powers: The character can mimic the powers of others as though they have the power themselves.
B) Abilities/Skills: The character can mimic the abilities and skills of others.

*Note: The exact number of powers and abilities that can be mimicked is left up to the individual GM to determine. I’d suggest that characters be limited to no more than six abilities and/or powers at a time. If a player has additional abilities, I’d suggest that the PC still be limited to a maximum or eight to ten powers and/or special abilities, including the mimicked abilities.

GMs may also wish to impose specific requirements on the use of this power, such as the character must come into physical contact with the person who’s abilities the character is trying to mimic. Sound reasonable?
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2010 at 9:26pm by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Mimic
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2009 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
I have had a few players with Absorbtion mimic powers.  I usually let them absorb one power per level.   And if they roll a 20 in combat for anything, they loose their absorbed powers.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2009 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
The characters aren't actually absorbing anything, they're just copying a power or ability they've seen in use. Say someone like Task Master (mimic abilities), or Sync (mimic powers).

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2009 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
True it is a subtle difference.   With Absorbtion  you would have to touch the paranormal you are getting the power from, or the effect.  That means you have to make contact with Fire Man or his Fire to get the fire power.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2009 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Basically, the character would have to see the power or ability, in action, to be able to successfully mimic it.

YIM  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #5 - Jul 10th, 2009 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
I like this take on Taskmaster.

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2009 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
In the original V&V rules, there was a superpower called Power Copy. The character could absorb 1-4 powers that had a zero power cost (like Heightened Defense and Invulnerability), plus additional powers up to his or her own power score (Lightning Control would be 4 points, Light Control would be 1 point, Mind Control would be 20, etc.). It didn't cost anything to mimic powers (just to use them after they were duplicated)--but the character's basic Power score simply indicated how much could be stored.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2009 at 11:05pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2009 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Jul 10th, 2009 at 9:47pm:
I like this take on Taskmaster.

I'll get around to posting a Taskmaster write-up sometime this week. Then I may also do my take on Crossbones.

YIM  
IP Logged

Jeff_Phillips
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #8 - Jul 17th, 2009 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
My cuz is running a game where one of the guys has absorbtion he asked for ideas. I suggested he could have a power pool of powers that were limited to a set number. 1-4 that he could hold for a set time like one day, until he absorbs another or whatever. This was the characters main power so he was trying to spice it up a little for the player. He decided on 1.      He can absorb any mutant power he sees used, no devices or magical items, and it can not change him physically (he doesn’t grow wings, extra arms, etc…)
2.      He can hold on to any powers he sees used for 24 hours at which time the memories fade and he loses them.
3.      He gains the same bonus that whoever he absorbs the power from has (so if they are very strong, he gets very strong)
4.      He can only have one power active at a time, and it takes an action to “switch” powers.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #9 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Hi Jeff.
Welcome!

I once had a character that had the power you offered your cousin. He could hold 5 powers at a time, forever. When he wanted a new one, he could chose which one to eliminate to make room. At first I wanted to sample every power. Then, I tried to collect the most effective / powerful powers out there, almost stalking certain villains to get them.

On the other hand, I currently have a PC that can absorb an entire set of powers from any target he touches, but only powers that are rooted in the target's DNA (mutant powers not devices, magic, etc.).

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #10 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
Bump, bump, bump. So, what do some of the new guys think of this.

YIM  
IP Logged

8675309 Jenni
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Apr 4th, 2010 at 9:27pm:
Bump, bump, bump. So, what do some of the new guys think of this.

The 2nd ed. power Absorption says it usually requires touch. But it doesn't have to. I mean, Temper of the Crushers absorbs Power Points without touching his opponents. So all the examples from the first thread are already covered by Absorption. I don't think you need to come up with a new power.

It's like the thread of Heightened Mental abilities. The ideas are okay, but they could fall under Psionics or Willpower.

That was one of the reason for the blanket wildcards, I think: to allow the GM to adapt powers that seem to operate a little differently for everyone (or were uncommon back in 1982) and don't necessarily have a default template.

It's like clone powers: everyone who has it seems to have a different form of the same powers.

So back to the original question, I just see this as Absorption.

IP Logged

BillytheSquid
Sidekick

mud is just a severely
crushed body!

Reply #12 - Apr 5th, 2010 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
TaskMaster just has to see and study someone to mimic them does he not?

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #13 - Apr 5th, 2010 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
BillytheSquid wrote on Apr 5th, 2010 at 8:35pm:

Yep, all he as to do is watch you, either in person, on tape, the internet, TV, etc. no physical contact is involved.

YIM  
IP Logged

BillytheSquid
Sidekick

mud is just a severely
crushed body!

Reply #14 - Apr 5th, 2010 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Apr 5th, 2010 at 8:45pm:
BillytheSquid wrote on Apr 5th, 2010 at 8:35pm:

Yep, all he as to do is watch you, either in person, on tape, the internet, TV, etc. no physical contact is involved. 

So, how would that translate to a character, how would you write that up?

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #15 - Apr 5th, 2010 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
BillytheSquid wrote on Apr 5th, 2010 at 9:01pm:
So, how would that translate to a character, how would you write that up?

Task Master was essentially the reason I wrote up the Mimic power. It would allow him to mimic up to six separate abilities (skills light Heightened Expertise), or Acrobatics (from Super Crooks and Criminals), as per the power write-up. If I get a few minutes, I'll do a more detailed version of him later tonight.

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #16 - Apr 5th, 2010 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
I was thinking of Taskmaster's power and here is what I came up with.

Body Power: Photographic Reflexes;  After observing someone in motion,  the character can then make a save Ad20 to copy it.   If the player wishes to copy a super powered skill then they can spend an inventing point and pretty much have that power.
   They can only copy non "super" powers.  Things like heightened defence,  heightened attack,  natural weaponry ( due to fighting skills, not natural claws), webswinging, etc...
   When in doubt,  look to the Marvel character Taskmaster and see if he can do it.    Photographic reflexes will not give you lazer vision no matter how many inventing points you spend.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #17 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
One of our PCs in the Guardians - Scion - has had different forms of Absorption that are similar to some mentioned here.  He has never had a 'mimic' ability, per se, but upon touch he could absorb/retain another's Powers or Skills.  He does physically change, but can have different forms (I think he can hold up to six).  So he chooses which "mode" he wants to change into, and can only have one active at a time.

In other words, if he absorbed Angel's powers, he would gain Wings in that form.  He would then switch to 'Angel Form' and that version of him would have Wings.

I like the 'mimic' idea, but agree with Jenni that it could simply be a variant of Absorption (or Body Power, as John suggested).
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2010 at 12:40pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #18 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
The primary difference between Absorption, and Mimic, is that it doesn't require you to touch anyone, or absorb residual power, etc.

YIM  
IP Logged

BillytheSquid
Sidekick

mud is just a severely
crushed body!

Reply #19 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
I like it, see....this is why you guys are all so valuable!

IP Logged

8675309 Jenni
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #20 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Just to clarify again, though, absorption asa power doesn't have to require touch. The rules say it usually requires touch, but not always. And some of the characters with absorption in the gamebooks have absorption w/out touch.

Not trying to pick a fight. Just showing how mimic could work under the existing powers.

I'd give the "old" X-Man known as Mimic the power Absorption with Low Self-Control, as he automatically absorbed/imitated the powers of mutants who were nearby.

I like John's body power option too.  Smiley

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #21 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
8675309 Jenni wrote on Apr 6th, 2010 at 5:36pm:
Just to clarify again, though, absorption asa power doesn't have to require touch. The rules say it usually requires touch, but not always. And some of the characters with absorption in the gamebooks have absorption w/out touch.

Not trying to pick a fight. Just showing how mimic could work under the existing powers.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it couldn't, as there are several characters that absorb energy patterns, residual magic, etc., to allow them to mimic a power, but this version doesn't require you to absorb anything.

YIM  
IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #22 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Apr 6th, 2010 at 12:44pm:
The primary difference between Absorption, and Mimic, is that it doesn't require you to touch anyone, or absorb residual power, etc. 

So you see Lenny, it's like Absorption meets Weakness Detection!
<Insert sleazy movie director with hands framing a movie>

I've always thought that was an interesting concept, utilizing one power through the action of another. This is somewhat represented by Carrier attacks, but not all the way. I wonder what other examples are out there as well.

I can't remember, does Absorption state that it usually requires a carrier HtH attack?

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #23 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Absorption isn't usually characterized as a 'carrier attack' as some other energy attacks (Flame, Lightning, etc.) are.

Usually it works in one of two ways - (1) by the character having a 'saved action' (so that they can use that action to absorb when an attack strikes them), and (2) by activating when a character makes a successful HtH attack.

We have often made the second method (the HtH attack) require a special attack (i.e., a 'grab'), though I think that might be a tad restrictive.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #24 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Bumping this up, as I'm gathering up feedback, as I work on an updated new powers PDF. It'll be done up the same way as the last one.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #25 - Jan 3rd, 2024 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Bump.