Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Your favorite published V&V product (Read 6482 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Your favorite published V&V product
Sep 8th, 2009 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
What's your favorite published V&V product?

My top 5 are:

1. FORCE
2. Super Crooks and Criminals
3. Death Duel w/the Destroyers
4. The Great Iridium Con
5. Alone into the Night

With Most Wanted Vol. 1 coming in very close.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2009 at 9:03pm by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Re: Your favorite published V&V product
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
For me it would have to go like this if I had to pick five

1) Crisis at Crusader Citadel

2) Opponents Unlimited

3) Devil's Domain

4) FORCE

5) Trouble for HAVOC

All of these modules had GREAT foes, some damn fine heroes and lots of other bits to play with.

If the question had been...
What are you favorite modules?

That would have been easy.
Just because both Most Wanted vol 1 & 3, along with Super-Crooks and Criminals were awesome places to grab a quick villain from.
The Death Dual with the Destroyers and its continued story arc of Island of Doctor Apocalypse is a wonderful adventure, battling Giant Robots, Super Villains and THEE Uber Super Villain.

BUT... if I had to pick five... the ones up above take the cake for me (Plus my players enjoyed the foes or scenarios from those mods).

G7

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
For me:

1, by far: Death Duel with the Destroyers. The best villains of any module. The best art of any module, especially the comic pages. Supervillain base. Super vehicles. The fake giant robot. A cool master plan. The psionic storm. Battle tactics of the Destroyers. The whole flavor. Just perfect!

2. Force.

3. Most Wanted 3.

4. Island of Dr. Apocalypse. Flawed but still good thanks to the villain.

5. Crisis: The flaw here was, sadly, the villains! No one really stood out for me. It's too bad. The base is great. The plot is great. The Crusaders are so cool, especially compared to the Crushers. TEACHER is cool. If there were just some better villains, this would have been the perfect module.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2009 at 10:32pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Yeah some of the foes had a lot to be desire.

Ones that stand out for me are:

Shrew... I just like her look and tough girls are cool (She has that first Ms Marvel hair!).

F.I.S.T. is a great foe. Nice design.

Hornet has decent powers and a great background.

Temper was just made to fight superheroes.

Marionette is just a plain original type chara. Her karate coupled with her mental powers makes her a rather tough opponent.

Mace has got not only a good visual, but a great villain personality and is the badass of the villains in my opinion.

and finally Stormlord... with his cool powers and that crazy half mask he wears... as well as his potential backstory... he was just a villain waiting to be explored.

The rest I could take or leave.

But... if you noticed... it seemed the girls were by and far the toughest in HTH combat (next to the lethal Mace)... just because of their abilities to hit.

Mercury Mercenary was just wrong... who gives a super speedster guns, gernades and knives? Evidently the writer was just looking to get someone killed. The only obvious choice for who's foe he was... WAS Enforcer, but even that wouldn't be enough to get the jump on Merc... just cause he had that +25 to his inititive.

Mocker is a waste of space (which is sad because I like Robots/Android and mech stuff).

Shocker would have been better if they hadn't made him ga-ga for Evergreen (Would have been neat if he knew some martial arts too... Yes yes yes... I know... sterotype).

Vulture (though a GREAT backstory) was a worthless foe.

Bull; this tough guy of the villains couldn't hit an opponent even if they were pinned down under debris and leaning into the punch.

So yes... Some of the villains were obvious cannon fodder. Which explains why they formed a team? hmm! HMM!

You should have seen what happened to some of those I listed above in my campaign.... ohhhhh owwww... LOL

G7

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
Guardian7 wrote on Sep 8th, 2009 at 11:03pm:
Mercury Mercenary was just wrong... who gives a super speedster guns, gernades and knives? Evidently the writer was just looking to get someone killed. The only obvious choice for who's foe he was... WAS Enforcer, but even that wouldn't be enough to get the jump on Merc... just cause he had that +25 to his inititive.

Ditto! One of the first people I RPG'd with wanted to run a V&V character w/a gun. I think it wuz because he wanted to see how strong guns were in the game--not becuase he wuz on some hep anti-hero trip. But I still turned him down.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2009 at 11:07pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
The unfortunate part was that MMercenary was just that... a Mercenary.

If played right... and true to form... there is no way to deny he was doomed! In one manner or another.

Ultimately... He was killed in my game by Evergreen (after MM killed Shocker for quitting).

Sabredance was no better... and ended up with both his arms broken.

G7

IP Logged

Troy
Teen Titan

Reply #6 - Jan 7th, 2010 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
The Doombot from Death Duel was great!

IP Logged

mel
Sidekick

vigilantesomething

Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2010 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Search for the Sensei was a blast. Genghis Chi was a great nemesis. I liked seeing all of the crimebosses. And the ninjas were, shall we say, very disposable. But in a good way! It didn't take too much work to flatten them.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2010 at 11:18pm by mel »  

IP Logged

Gigglestick
Sidekick

"Laugh-a while you ken,
munkey boy!"

Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
My favorite top 5.

1) Crisis and Crusader Citadel.  Great intro adventure.  Two good hero vs villain fights.  A good group of heroes to be rescued by the players.  And some creative and fun villains to be recurring enemies.

2) Death Duel with The Destroyers.  The Destroyers!  Nasty, tough group of Villains.  Fun adventure (especially the doombot..scared the $#!+ out of some players).

3) Great Iridium Con.  Supervillains AND a game convention!  Two groups of villains!  Fun plot! Klingons! And a cool spaceship!  Nightshade joined one team as a hero on probation.  This was often used as a followup for CCC...
And the Seven Servants were definitely recurring villains..

4) Most Wanted 1.  Great Ideas.  Some good do-it-yourself villain teams (though I never liked Tank Gunner as part of the Inhuman League).

5) Opponents Unlimited! I love the villains and some of the great teams.  In one of my campaigns, George Ronky and Prankster became part of the same team as Nightshade...

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #9 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
It's great that this one is brought back up to the top, as I never got around to answering it!

1) Death Duel with the Destroyers: As many have elaborated on, some of the coolest villains, the giant robot, the psychic storm, a cool villain base, the best art of any of the adventures, one of the best covers, etc.

2) FORCE: A fantastic adventure with another cool base, one of the best villains ever, and a great plot.

3) Terror By Night: Another classic villain, cool rules for vampires, a neat setting, and classic monsters.

4) The Island of Doctor Apocalypse: The very best villain for V&V, an undersea base, more giant robots, a cool plot, and an entire island to explore.

5) The Secret in the Swamp: One of the best covers, great art, cool villains, another nifty base, and a unique plot.

Notable mentions to To Tackle the T.O.T.E.M., Dawn of the Devil, Devil's Domain, The Dawn of DNA, Super Crooks & Criminals, and Most Wanted Volume 3.

IP Logged

WreckingBall
Sidekick

Bringing Down The House!

Reply #10 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 12:33am
Print Post  
1. Crusader Citadel
Why? We got a big group of baddies and Manta Man.

2. Death Duel w/ Destroyers
Why? Bill W's great art and the amazing villains

3. (tie) FORCE
Why? Doomsday scenario and the cool assortment of villains. Our group never knew what was going on when we ran into Phantasm throughout the years.

3. (tie) Most Wanted V1
Why? Motivator. Everything else was icing on the cake. Lots of villains of varying power levels with varied backgrounds made it quick and easy to tie them into scenarios. One of the first modules I remember with the colour counters in it in the original printing.

5. Alone Into the Night
Why? Solo adventures with a "street level" feel.

I like Opponents Unlimited for just for The Floop Brothers but couldn't warrant putting it in the top 5 the same goes for Organized Crimes, love The Midnight Men but they're not enough to push it higher.
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2010 at 12:34am by WreckingBall »  

IP Logged

Galaxy Boy
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
My fave is probably Most Wanted Vol 1: lotsa strange villains and Jeff Dee's great art work. It is a shame that his current work is nowhere as great as they were around the early 80s. I also like the Great Iridium Con, mainly because of the Coven of Sargatanas, which is mentioned but not detailed, allowing the GM to develope the other 8 imprisoned and 2 dead members.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #12 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Galaxy Boy wrote on Aug 17th, 2010 at 3:33pm:
My fave is probably Most Wanted Vol 1: lotsa strange villains and Jeff Dee's great art work. It is a shame that his current work is nowhere as great as they were around the early 80s. I also like the Great Iridium Con, mainly because of the Coven of Sargatanas, which is mentioned but not detailed, allowing the GM to develope the other 8 imprisoned and 2 dead members.

Welcome, Galaxy Boy!

Have you had the opportunity to pick up the new edition of V&V (2.1)?  Like you, I wasn't digging Jeff's more recent work (generally).  But his stuff for the 2.1 rulebook is awesome again!    Cool

IP Logged

Galaxy Boy
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #13 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
I did. There is little change that I noticed.
Anyway, I love Villains and Vigilantes...just the whole feel and look of it. I don't understant why Champions became THE superhero game instead of V&V.

Mutants and Mastermind is okay too but I found a big flaw with their concept of power levels, which limits a character's various saves, to hit bonuses, damage, etc.

IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #14 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 6:55am
Print Post  
Death Duel with the Destroyers and Crisis at Crusader Citadel are tied for number 1 . Classic feel in both and Willingham's/Dee's art is top notch.

Force comes in at a close second. Dee's art is at it's best and the cast of villains are awesome. Phantasm and Clamor are my faves.

Assassin the sequel to force comes in 3rd. I loved Jeff Jarka's artwork and the villains and Security team heroes were great. Psi Storm and Avalanche in particular.

Secret in the Swamp comes in 4th for me with a great story and again, excellent villains. Stewart Wieck writes great stuff. Anything new from him will be mine!

Last I have to give to Terror by Night. The Vampire is a great arch villain and the story was pretty well written. I loved the hook where one of the female pc's could possibly become a vamp.

Honorable mentions go to
To Tackle the Totem. I loved Tomahawk.
Most Wanted volumes. A great selection of villains but I have to give more respect to the effort and work the adventures require.
The Great Iridium Con for the same reasons everyone else loved it
Havoc was great collection of adventures that seems to be overlooked quite a bit.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #15 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Galaxy Boy wrote on Aug 17th, 2010 at 10:13pm:
I did. There is little change that I noticed.
Anyway, I love Villains and Vigilantes...just the whole feel and look of it. I don't understant why Champions became THE superhero game instead of V&V.

Mutants and Mastermind is okay too but I found a big flaw with their concept of power levels, which limits a character's various saves, to hit bonuses, damage, etc.

My guess is because they stuck around, and V&V was just "gone" (off of store shelves) for so long.

If not for that, it seemed that V&V was easily it's equal (with at least as many modules and supplements) for many years (until the late 80's).

IP Logged

Kap
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #16 - May 20th, 2012 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Alone into the Night

Terror by Night

Great Iridium Con

Preemptive Strike

Crisis at Crusader Citadel

Organized Crimes

in no particular order

Sorry...couldn't resist reviving old thread to answer.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #17 - May 22nd, 2012 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
V&V 2nd edition rules (revised) - I know... duh, right. But it's really well done.
Dawn of DNA
Opponents Unlimited
FORCE

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #18 - May 23rd, 2012 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Crisis
Death Duel
Island of Doc A
Force
DNA

with honorable mention to both the Most Wanteds and Opponents Unlimited

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Heston
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #19 - Jun 1st, 2012 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
Gigglestick wrote on Jul 3rd, 2010 at 2:21pm:
5) Opponents Unlimited! I love the villains and some of the great teams.  In one of my campaigns, George Ronky and Prankster became part of the same team as Nightshade...

It seems like a lot of people like Opponents Unlimited. But me and my friends have dubbed it "Least Wanted" ... finding it weaker than the other types of Most Wanted books.

Siriandor drives me batty!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #20 - Jun 2nd, 2012 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
I'm with you on that one, Heston!  It's too silly for my tastes.  It's got some good stuff in there, though (like the random table at the start and the villain base).  I've also taken a lot of the images (still great Dee art) and turned them into other characters in our game.

IP Logged

Heston
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #21 - Jun 2nd, 2012 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jun 2nd, 2012 at 10:44pm:
I'm with you on that one, Heston!  It's too silly for my tastes.  It's got some good stuff in there, though (like the random table at the start and the villain base).  I've also taken a lot of the images (still great Dee art) and turned them into other characters in our game.

Yes. Opponents Unlimited had a great cover and a lot of fun art. Jeff Dee's style then was fun and creative--but people were still basically proportioned the same as people.

I heard a BAMF interview with Jeff Dee from his Facebook page where he said his current artwork has a Manga influence, which is very noticeable as the people and even the monster/animals are squat with rounder features.

I have nothing against the animee style in theory but it isn't the imagery I enjoy in a superhero game myself.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #22 - Jun 2nd, 2012 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
I really do prefer Jeff's pre-anime influence art - and I like anime. I just think his older stuff was top shelf and could have been up there with any big name you want to throw out.

Opponents Unlimited: characters I liked.
Sirrian Dor (seriously)
UIY2249
Sergeant Ramble
Wavemistress
Kudebuck
Proditor Capella
Boosterman
Sir Lemur

About 25% of the book. I'd say that about fits with MW 1&3. Supercrooks and Criminals not sooooo much. However even there I'm finding a number of characters or elements of the characters I'll be using.

Not saying there aren't a number or ridiculous characters in that book, there are, but I'd say the same of a few others.

***I have to agree with Majestic and Heston. I like any number of anime shows and the art style, and while there are a few exceptions, it doesn't 'feel' right on classic American superhero comic characters

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Heston
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #23 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 12:06am
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Jun 2nd, 2012 at 11:54pm:
Opponents Unlimited: characters I liked.
Sirrian Dor (seriously)
UIY2249
Sergeant Ramble
Wavemistress
Kudebuck
Proditor Capella
Boosterman
Sir Lemur

What if Sirian Dor changed into Sir Lemur?

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #24 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 1:36am
Print Post  
"Sirriandor"

He wouldn't be able to mimic Sir Lemur's telepathy (which is required for Sir Lemur's "normal" communication).

Good call, though.  I never noticed "and creatures".

IP Logged

Heston
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #25 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Since I already scratched Opponents Unlimited off the list, here are some favorites off the top of my head:

Danger in the Depths
We haven't played this one, but it is a great resources.

Death Duel with the Destroyers
Everybody loves the Doombot!

Terror by Night

Dorky set-up but it has fun death traps.

A remember seeing the front cover and thinking the villains looked awesome. Then saw the back cover and thought, "Shit, there's MORE ?!"

Secret in the Swamp
This one is under-appreciated.

IP Logged

>