Normal Topic Basic Questions... (Read 1671 times)
Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Basic Questions...
Sep 8th, 2009 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
OK, I've been away from the game for awhile, and I do enjoy the role playing aspect much more than I did 20+ years ago... but I don't remember Ice Powers being so awesome. 

Can someone explain to me how Ice Armor is intended to work?  One of my sons has an Ice Powered hero, and he's pretty much unstoppable.  He has speed bonus, which I thought was cool (Ice Slides), but he can basically ice up every action, maintianing 100 ADR using movement only, is that accurate.  I was looking at Snowblind in FORCE, and was thinking... Man that fight is going to take forever!  Should he be able to "refresh" his Ice Armor?  or is it create it once, until it's gone... the second didn't really make sense to me, but the first is an unreal defense. 

In our last combat, instead of just attacking the villian with a Ice blast; he incased her in Ice.  He was able to create almost 10X her carrying capacity in ice, I mean I still made him roll to hit, and I don't guess it's any tougher than paralysis ray, but is that a legit attack?  He was very careful to leave her head exposed so she could breathe, which was nice, but it felt like a dangerous president. 

In the past, he's created blocks of ice for his Super Strong teammate to fling at villains, and even made weapons out of ice to hit foes with, this allows him to attack with HTH instead of his Ice blast for less PP, and usually, for more damage.  I did have him use an inventing point for each weapon he wished to learn to craft, but with his defenses working as the do above, It seems like Ice Powers is a bit of an uber power.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Basic Questions...
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
In my game if you spend movement on ADR, you loose that movement untill that ADR is gone. 

So if you have 100 movement points, you are sacrficing your ablity to move around by having 100adr.   Its ok, because you can't be hurt under that glacier.  So having a temperary movment rate of zero is ok.    Does that make sense?

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Ice Powers w/Speed Bonus is a lot like Iceman, which means you'll get armor ALL the time. Some ways around it would be to have him go up against opponents with poisonous gas, transmutation attacks, mental blasts, and so on.

As for the problem of encasing opponents in ice, have him go up against opponents who can lift a few tons, or with stretching/shapeshifting who can maneauver out, or who teleport.

One of the fun things about a character like this is having them work with villains who have attack/defense types that bypass the hero's modus operandi--but that are still fair/workable in the game.
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2009 at 12:02am by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 12:09am
Print Post  
The way I always read it is that you bun up you movement to replenish your armor, so if the guy wants to move any distance he' have to forgo armoring back up. Also, depending how much damage he's taken, some attacks still might get through, or if he's hit by multiple opponents, he might be overwhelmed.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 12:21am
Print Post  
WoW! both great responses.  It has been nice to have him around, he tends to be the damage magnet for the group... The Behemoths of the world can wail on him, and let his teammates deal with the Ratman/Electrocutioners.  Smiley

They haven't met the Destroyers yet, but they will... they will...

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 7:38am
Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Sep 8th, 2009 at 11:55pm:
I don't remember Ice Powers being so awesome.

It is tough. You get an attack a defense and armor. Flame powers gives an attack, a defense and flight!

I think it's why they both have such high PR costs per blast, and low damage for a blast.

Re: Speed Bonus: I wouldn't allow this movement to go to ice creations or armor, anymore than I would allow Heighened Speed or Flight movement to go toward it. That might be your problem right there. Ice Man uses his Speed Bonus to "make" the ice ramps that propel him faster. I think if Ice Man has 20 points of armor left, he's still "covered" in that snowy stuff. Bobby wasn't famed for being able to take tons of damage, IMHO.

But even without speed bonus, armor that reboots on the PCs first action each turn is still tough. SF listed some great attacks. I'd add Devitalization Ray which bypasses armor and hits an ice guy where it hurts, his Power Points.

Foes with any attack that doesn't require them to move (like blasts) can get out of ice blocks even if immobilized. Or if there's more than one villain, someone else can attack the ice to help out their friend.

Finally, force the ice guy to move and he's got problems, like DS mentioned. If he has to chase a villain who's getting away, in a running "gun fight," he's really at a disadvantage. Not only because he's spending movement, but because his range of attack is so limited. Make movement crucial to solving the mission once in a while. (chasing villains, invading a base in blitzkreig style, a bomb will go off and you need to get out of the radius, etc)

Good luck!
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2009 at 7:41am by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

>