Normal Topic Robot/Android Appearances (Read 1229 times)
polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Robot/Android Appearances
Sep 9th, 2009 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
In the rules, robots determine their human appearance by rolling 1d100 minus 30 (with zero or less meaning that no one would recognize them as human).

I basically allow robots with even a 1% human appearance to be able to pass in movie theaters and dark alleys by wearing trench coats and hats (as so often happens in comics and movies). It's fun to try to determine in a general way what is different about the character: Mocker from the Crusader module is a great example with his "beholder" shaped head (for D&D fans).

If the appearance is 0% or less, they look too different to pass as human. How they are different can be fun to work out.

Androids, on the other hand, roll 1d00 (with no adjustment). Since most androids in comics and science fiction look closer to human than not, I'd suggest adding 30 points to that roll. If an android is 100% human looking, they can pass for human, appearance-wise even in a bathing suit.

If they end up with 101-130% human appearance they are more like a Philip K. Dick replicant. Even under medical inspection there is a 1-30% chance they they can pass for human.

I'm willing to let androids ix-nay their body power to boost their human appearance or self-repair scores.

« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2009 at 1:09am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Robot/Android Appearances
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
Sounds good.  And welcome by the way.   I always wondered what a 15% human looking robot would look like.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on Sep 9th, 2009 at 11:18pm:
I'm willing to let androids ix-nay their body power to boost their human appearance or self-repair scores. 

Cool idea. Welcome to the boards!

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 11:26pm
Print Post  

15% human looking robot below.
He's got a head!
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2009 at 11:26pm by Doctor Foom »  

Collective.jpg ( 92 KB | 3 Downloads )
Collective.jpg
IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Re: Robot Weight
Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 12:11am
Print Post  
For starters, here's a link to a visual gallery showing the human-appearance percentages for many V&V robots: http://powersandpossibilities.blogspot.com/2009/11/robot-gallery.html

While I've got your attention...

Standard V&V rules say that characters with Robotic Body multiply their weight by 2-5 (1d4 +1).

To add variety, I give a player with this power the option of randomly rolling weight 1d4 more times, and adding the totals to the character's starting weight to determine weight of robotic character. The robot still weighs as much as 2-5 people, but not necessarily 2-5 times as much as a particular person.

Part of the reason for this decision is because I can think of a number of characters in comics who became robots (Cliiff Steele, Roger Bochs), and as robots they were heavier than their original weight, but not exactly 2, 3, 4, or 5 times their original weight.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2009 at 3:54am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Justice
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2009 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Oh, I like that "additive weight" idea.

BTW, I have always wanted to see the 0%-100& robotic human appearance scale. Good blog post - we just need a few more entries, IMO!

I would give the title Replicant/Synthezoid - to high-end, over-the-top robots/androids, PB. As you said, they get to add 30% to human appearance, with going over 100 being the chance they can fool a medical exam, but have no other Body Power.

Maybe I would even kick that to a +50% bonus, since THAT is their "Body Power" so to speak - "Body Power: Near Human physiology"

(Anyone see the Neal Adams Avengers special around issue 93, where Ant-Man entered the Vision's body? - Wow!)http://books.google.com/books?id=H3Zv6DN7eRIC&lpg=PA210&ots=7Xl6n914Hs&dq=neal%2...

Really cool suggestions, PB.

peace
justice

« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2009 at 6:28pm by »  

IP Logged

>