Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Armor B (Read 4590 times)
Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Armor B
Nov 26th, 2009 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Here's a fairly recent addendum I've spelled out regarding Armor: Type B:

2.7 SUPER POWER DESCRIPTIONS

Armor: (p. 10)

B: For technological or magical armor, as a general rule the added weight is equal to ˝ the ADR value. Thus, an ADR of 100 would usually have a weight of 50 pounds. This is not a hard and fast rule, however; advanced technological light-weight armor might weigh considerably less, and special magical armor might weigh a great deal more. This total will increase the character’s actual weight, and thus will apply when they are being carried or taking knock-back, but it does not factor into such things as Basic Hits (for the purpose of computing Hit Points) or Carrying Capacity.

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Re: Armor B
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
I've never added weight for Armor B to the characters weight for Basic hit calculation, but I do for Armor A... never thought about just applying it to other game mechanics.

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 1:20am
Print Post  
Adding the weight of the armor to the character's weight makes a lot of sense, as you described, in taking into account whether the character is knocked back during an attack--or being carried off by flying monkeys.

Padded/leather armor to bulletproof vests have an ADR of 30-45 in some of the game books (Super-Crooks, Swamp Rat).

Partial chainmail (aliens From Deeps of Space; Empress Earth) or a full-body firefighter gear (agent 451 in Greater Good) or spacesuit (Opponents Unlimited) has an ADR of approximately 50-55.

So your weight formula seems about right. Guys who look like Iron Man tend to have ADR in the 120-range.

I did my homework about ADR before posting Nite-Owl in another thread.

Majestic, this is a really good idea.

« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2009 at 1:23am by Rick »  

IP Logged

Justice
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Majestic,

I like the idea of Armor B adding weight, since - duh - it DOES add weight (but no other benefit besides protection IRL).

However, I think the formula is too generous for higher end armor. As you wrote, it is not a hard and fast rule, but I would like to make a suggestion or two as my premiere PC was armored and I loved me some Iron Man back in the day.

First, OHOTMU lets Tony Stark's armor just about double his weight to some 450+ pounds. (Maybe 2.2 x his weight). They even put in small "anti-gravity" generators in his briefcase to make it possible for him to carry it around. One way of saying this in V&V would be adding 2 lbs for every point of protection. In his case, that'd be about right.

Secondly, as you imply, it is really materials and manufacture that make the weight. So we could factor the weight up and down by the SSR of the material. Leather is so much, Iron is SSR 10, Steel 11 (IIRC), alloys even lighter but higher in SSR.

Lastly, armor should subtract from the PC's Carrying Capacity if it has weight - or is "dead weight" I should say. Generally, this not worth mentioning since even 100 lbs of armor won't generally change a PC's movement or HtoH assuming they have a slightly above average STR. But at 200 lbs and more, I can see it having some impact.

So my suggestion (and this formula can be modified by Inventing process, etc.)

Weight of ADR = Points of Protection/SSR x Weight of PC x 3%.

Mind you, I'm speaking out loud, but it seems to me the stronger the material, the less it will have to weigh to protect and the Size of the PC's body to be covered would make an impact in its own weight. (Obviously following the formula for Armor A here).

I'm gonna post this and then post again with some test examples to see if it works out.

Please let me know if you think it too complex or is really helpful. I just thought the GM shouldn't have to guess the weight with so many other duties and decisions to arbitrate.

IP Logged

Justice
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Weight of ADR = Points of Protection/SSR x Weight of PC x 3%.

OK, time for the test drive...

Iron Man - Tony Stark, ADR 120.

Height: 6'1"; (in armor) 6'6"
Weight: 225 lbs.; (in armor) 425 lbs.

Tony's armor adds 200 lbs to his weight (and 5" to his height)

3% of Tony's weight:
ADR: 120(?)
SSR: Iron alloy/Metal mesh

Note: I'm going with the old style IM here, and I am going to say it is a super-alloy but lost 3 points of SSR due to thinness for the sake of argument. We'll use SSR 10 for cleanliness in this initial test.

So:

120 ADR/10 SSR x 6.75 = 81 lbs.

Cheesy FAIL! Cheesy

But we have some wiggle room and some unknowns.

Formula Change:

Weight of ADR = Points of Protection/SSR x Weight of PC x 8%

120 ADR/11 SSR x 18 lbs. = 192 lbs.

Getting closer!

Cheesy

But I haven't energy to keep testing and refining this morning. I'm really just throwing that out there as a suggestion.

Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2009 at 10:42am by »  

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #5 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Here's a formula I was thinking about after reading Majestic's first post. It makes stronger armor (usually seen as metal) weigh more than ligher armor (usually leather).

[ADR x 2] minus 50 lbs. = weight

Examples:
ADR 40 = 30 lbs.
ADR 50 = 50 lbs.
ADR 60 = 70 lbs.
ADR 70 = 90 lbs.
ADR 80 = 110 lbs. (approx. average)
ADR 90 = 130 lbs.
ADR 100 = 150 lbs. (approx. FIST)
ADR 110 = 170 lbs.
ADR 120 = 190 lbs.
ADR 130 = 210 lbs.

ADR 200 = 350 lbs.  Armada from Most Wanted. His armor is made of wood, but he looks like a walking tank.

« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2009 at 12:21pm by Rick »  

IP Logged

Skydiver
Teen Titan

Reply #6 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Point of clarification: Does the weight gets added on the character's weight WRT Basic Hits? or just is added weight for things like picking up the character and whatnot?

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #7 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
I factor the organic armour into basic hits and carrying and such.  I don't mind armored guys being bigger and stronger.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #8 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Skydiver wrote on Nov 27th, 2009 at 12:33pm:
Point of clarification: Does the weight gets added on the character's weight WRT Basic Hits? or just is added weight for things like picking up the character and whatnot?

I'm still going with Majestic's lines from the top post. It only affects lifting the character and preventing the character from getting knocked back. No other default bonuses.

Majestic wrote on Nov 26th, 2009 at 6:31pm:
This total will increase the character’s actual weight, and thus will apply when they are being carried or taking knock-back, but it does not factor into such things as Basic Hits (for the purpose of computing Hit Points) or Carrying Capacity.

« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2009 at 12:37pm by Rick »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #9 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
I allow the added weight benifits, but I also allow the weight penalities.   You get the aglity minus due to the increased weight.  This is all figured out at creation so a heavy armored guy will be heavy, strong, tough and slow.   

Also, I have a house rule where each level your armor grows some ADR points equal to your new basic hit score.   So as you go up in level, you get heavier, tougher and slower.    

If you have armor in my game, you should train in aglity!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #10 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Rick, for the complements and for ably answering the question a few had about it adding to BH.  As Rick said, it only adds for purposes of your actual weight, but does not factor into such things as Hit Points or Carrying Capacity.

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #11 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Nov 27th, 2009 at 3:30pm:
Thanks, Rick, for the complements and for ably answering the question a few had about it adding to BH.  As Rick said, it only adds for purposes of your actual weight, but does not factor into such things as Hit Points or Carrying Capacity.

Yeah, I used to wear chainmail at work. It didn't add to my carrying capacity.
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2009 at 3:39pm by Rick »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #12 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Nov 27th, 2009 at 3:30pm:
  As Rick said, it only adds for purposes of your actual weight, but does not factor into such things as Hit Points or Carrying Capacity.

True, but this is the House Rules thread, not the Citadel so things may differ from game to game.

IP Logged

Skydiver
Teen Titan

Reply #13 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Rick:
ArmorA: Obviously.

I'm talking ArmorB exclusively.

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #14 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Skydiver wrote on Nov 27th, 2009 at 4:17pm:
Rick:ArmorA: Obviously.I'm talking ArmorB exclusively.

Skydiver, I'm not sure what your post is supposed to mean. You asked a question in Reply 6. I knew that you meant Armor B and responded in Reply 8, referring back to Majestic's original post about Armor B. I don't know how to make things more clear other than to go back again to agreeing with what Majestic already said.

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #15 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Skydiver wrote on Nov 27th, 2009 at 12:33pm:

I think I see what you are saying, and I'd simply say no, for Armor B, it does not add to basic hits, but I could see it subtracting from Agility if it pushed their weight too high.  I guess if Rick's actually worn armor, I'd defer, as I never have, but it's a tough sell for V&V to give them the penalty but not the benefit... I usually go for it impacts everything good and bad, or neither.  In this case I could see it going either way.

In our PBEM game, one of the characters has technological armor that acts as organic armor, a unique idea I immediately fell in love with.  Some guys are just very creative.  His whole character is very cool, you guys should check his character out, even if you are not playing.  Cool concept, Silverstar, my teammate, or soon to be.  Wink

IP Logged

Skydiver
Teen Titan

Reply #16 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Rick: My bad. I mixed up who I was talking to. I think I mixed up the comments from John. I was viewing this through the "most recent" view and it's a little confusing.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #17 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Oh I thought I should add that I use a rule that says for every 10 ADR  a minus one is applied to aglity for purposes of intitative and saves.   So a 180 ADR armor would give you a minus -18.   
Harsh, I know but inventing points are being spent to create better and better armor.

Also,  you can roll more with armor.   If you have 40 ADR you can roll with an extra four points.  This way, even 20 ADR is useful.

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #18 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
OK, so those are both new ones on me... I don't really agree with the -1 for every 10 ADR.  I seem to remember an issue of Iron Man where Tony Stark said he felt like he was running around in his underwear, the armor had servos that allowed it augment his movements, not hinder them.  I guess I usually assume at least with technological armor that they have similar properties.

I especially feel that way if you're going to penalize them for their weight... though you didn't actually say this, so maybe this is an alternative?

I like the roll with 10% of the ADR rule.  The rulebook says "Characters may take damage in their Power scores (see 3.2) to reduce the amount of punishment their armor takes."  I always assumed this meant rolling with the punch vs. taking the damage to the ADR.

As I read it again, though, I also came accross this "The weight of Device or Item armor should be considered irrelevant, but this is left up to the individual character and gamemaster." So I guess we're certainly authorized to come up with our own alternate rules.  Wink
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2009 at 7:06pm by Hammer »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #19 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Let me clarify,  bioarmor helps in carrying and hits tech armor doesn't.   Both penalise aglity. I missed that that this thread was labeled Armor B

IP Logged

Skydiver
Teen Titan

Reply #20 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Nov 27th, 2009 at 6:20pm:
Oh I thought I should add that I use a rule that says for every 10 ADR  a minus one is applied to aglity for purposes of intitative and saves.   So a 180 ADR armor would give you a minus -18.   
Harsh, I know but inventing points are being spent to create better and better armor.

Also,  you can roll more with armor.   If you have 40 ADR you can roll with an extra four points.  This way, even 20 ADR is useful.

That's a bit much. ArmorB already has a bunch of built-in penalties: damage to armor can disable devices, cost/time to renew ADR. I know that unless your character is rich, ADR were hard to come by. At least, that's my experience when GMing.

IP Logged

Skydiver
Teen Titan

Reply #21 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 12:24am
Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Nov 27th, 2009 at 5:43pm:
I think I see what you are saying, and I'd simply say no, for Armor B, it does not add to basic hits, but I could see it subtracting from Agility if it pushed their weight too high.  I guess if Rick's actually worn armor, I'd defer, as I never have, but it's a tough sell for V&V to give them the penalty but not the benefit... I usually go for it impacts everything good and bad, or neither.  In this case I could see it going either way.

In our PBEM game, one of the characters has technological armor that acts as organic armor, a unique idea I immediately fell in love with.  Some guys are just very creative.  His whole character is very cool, you guys should check his character out, even if you are not playing.  Cool concept, Silverstar, my teammate, or soon to be.  Wink 

WRT Armor B, that's my understanding of the book and how I apply it, but I just wanted to see what others did. This is the house rules section after all Wink.

SilverStar: The concept is pretty simple a mishmash of Power Ranger, Guyver Booster Bioarmor with a smattering of Ultraman (minus the size change) [uh huh.. simple!]. All based around Bionics.
So having rolled Armor B additionally because I was going with a device based character, it didn't fit with the rest of the power set, so I asked Dom if he could make it technological, but behaves like biological (regen ADR, etc.. bionics based essentially). I also dropped the extra powers I had rolled with ArmorA for simplicity's sake).

He didn't boost the character's weight (which I'm glad, but I think he would be wielding a much larger wallop than Dom would like, by consequence).

IP Logged

Justice
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 1:27am
Print Post  
Rick wrote on Nov 27th, 2009 at 12:17pm:
Here's a formula I was thinking about after reading Majestic's first post. It makes stronger armor (usually seen as metal) weigh more than ligher armor (usually leather).

[ADR x 2] minus 50 lbs. = weight

Examples:
ADR 40 = 30 lbs.
ADR 50 = 50 lbs.
ADR 60 = 70 lbs.
ADR 70 = 90 lbs.
ADR 80 = 110 lbs. (approx. average)
ADR 90 = 130 lbs.
ADR 100 = 150 lbs. (approx. FIST)
ADR 110 = 170 lbs.
ADR 120 = 190 lbs.
ADR 130 = 210 lbs.

ADR 200 = 350 lbs.  Armada from Most Wanted. His armor is made of wood, but he looks like a walking tank.

That is not only simpler, but seems to have the advantage of matching listed weights!

Good job, Rick! Cheesy

IMHO, if you have Ht. Strength in your Armor B, I tend to let the weight be used for Carrying Capacity, but penalize Agility for weight added.

If they have Ht. Endurance, I let them also have Basic Hits from Armor - but not much of a problem since I use a different scale for Basic Hits: 120-240 = 4 Basic Hits, 241 - 480 = 5 basic Hits, 481 - 960 = 6, etc.

Non-enhanced, simply armor gives NO bonus besides protection and that costs carrying capacity, Agility, etc.

But powered armor seems to me must have weight and movement compensators to some degree.

Still, all debatable once we enter into "like Iron man" territory.
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2009 at 1:27am by »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #23 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 1:48am
Print Post  
Skydiver wrote on Nov 27th, 2009 at 11:48pm:
John wrote on Nov 27th, 2009 at 6:20pm:

That's a bit much. ArmorB already has a bunch of built-in penalties: damage to armor can disable devices, cost/time to renew ADR. I know that unless your character is rich, ADR were hard to come by. At least, that's my experience when GMing.

I know it sounds harsh, but I am talking about non hi tech armor.  Think of wearing 100ADR medieval plate mail and then runing an obstacle course.   Hi tech powered armor with servos and such would lower the aglity penalty.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #24 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
One thing Stephane/Skydiver mentioned is very key, and I think it's an easy one for players (or GMs) to forget about:

If your character with Armor B takes a hit for 30 points of damage - that the Armor then absorbs/takes - and assuming the character doesn't 'roll with it' - he then has a 30% chance of a system going down (failing).

I/we end up making a chart for every armored character, so that they are rolling a d6, a d10, d12, or even d100 on their own individualized, customized chart (listing the powers built-in to the armor) to figure out which system goes down (and it does happen from time to time, as one might imagine).
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2009 at 7:21pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Justice
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Nov 29th, 2009 at 2:51am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Nov 28th, 2009 at 7:21pm:
One thing Stephane/Skydiver mentioned is very key, and I think it's an easy one for players (or GMs) to forget about:

If your character with Armor B takes a hit for 30 points of damage - that the Armor then absorbs/takes - and assuming the character doesn't 'roll with it' - he then has a 30% chance of a system going down (failing).

I/we end up making a chart for every armored character, so that they are rolling a d6, a d10, d12, or even d100 on their own individualized, customized chart (listing the powers built-in to the armor) to figure out which system goes down (and it does happen from time to time, as one might imagine).

That rule always sounded a bit harsh to me. It sounded like "To penalize you for wearing hi-tech equipment, we shall now give your opponent an opportunity to de-power you EVERY single time your armor is helpful."

I somewhat reversed it. If the armor did NOT protect you  - say you have a 90 ADR and roll a 92 when hit - then that damage goes to 1) possibly knocking you out and 2) knocking out a device in your armor.

In my mind, that damage got through the structural integrity of the outer shell and began hurting you and your custom built toy.

Just my variation, you understand.

Wink I loves me some armor!!

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #26 - Nov 29th, 2009 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
And I think this alternate rule makes so much sense.  The more damage your armor takes, the bigger chance something will get broken. 

Great Alternative!  I think it's definitely a new house rule for our game.

IP Logged

Justice
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Dec 8th, 2009 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Well, I think I was saying the more damage your armor MISSES (i.e. gets through) the greater chance you are K.O.d and/or a device in your armor is K.O.'d.

In the official rules version, Armor acts a bit like a Sidekick who jumps in the way to protect you from a bullet. Wink

Not only is he definitely wounded, but he has a chance of being disabled in some fashion. I can see that; I think it is valid view of what could happen when hi-tech armor is hit, but then the PC wearing armor is always going: "I got hit! Now let's see if -

1) My armor protects me
2) my armor does not protect me

If my armor does not protect me, I am either going to be knocked out or incapacitated, since I am a regular Joe in powered armor. I only have 15 hit points. Good, but not good enough for a 20 point power blast.

If my armor protects me, then

1) It will lose protective value automatically. My next opponent will get a +20% chance to harm me.
2) There is a 1 in 5 chance one of my devices go out. I hope its not anything I use offensively in battle. Or defensively for that matter.
3) I have to spend $$ to repair it. Time will not heal this puppy.

Man, I sure hope my armor survives this battle.

Cheesy

------------------------------------

Personally, I gave all Armor an SSR to at least ameliorate this problem.

« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2009 at 6:31pm by »  

IP Logged

>