Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Workable Weaknesses (Read 10551 times)
polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Workable Weaknesses
Sep 18th, 2009 at 3:49am
Print Post  
After trying out the original V&V rules, then going back to D&D, my friends and I knew we had to pick up the revised V&V rules when we saw the ad for Skyhawk in Dragon magazine.

Why? Because the art was great. Why else? Because the solar-powered mutant had a comic-book weakness!
Special Requirement: Needs exposure to stellar radiation to regain Hit or Power Points.

After reading all of the V&V modules and most of the articles, I've come to appreciate those weaknesses that show some creativity and enough detail.

Billed as a phobia, this next power-draining weakness from Pentacle Plot is arguably a psychosomatic side effect (rather than a physical vulnerability). It's a nice touch.
Phobia: MoonFlash refuses to go out into direct sunlight unless the moon is also visible. During the day, all of her spells cost twice as much to use, moon in sky or not.

Of all the villains with emotional problems in the published materials, I like the well-stated game-mechanics Opponents Unlimited gives to the confused villain Arnold Kisling (Proditor Cappela), as a result of his intelligent super-suit.
Psychosis: Due to the consistent nagging of the suit and its alien masters, Arnold is highly gullible and open to suggestion. If two people are shouting orders at him, he will listen to the most charismatic of the two and begin to follow their orders, even if that person is a hero! Arnold spends much of his free time buying all sots of junk that is persuasively advertised. If more than four people are ordering him, Arnold may curl up into a little ball and whimper.

In Pre-Emptive Strike, Glacia has a weakness well-suited for her lost/hidden undersea heritage.
Physical Handicap: Finned feet, reduced movement rate on land of -30 inches per turn.

SuperCrooks & Criminals not only tells us a werewolf-like villain's weakness but also clarifies what isn't his weakness.
Vulnerability: All Flame attacks made upon the Wrereworg cause double damage. Legend states that silver is also an Achilles' Heel, but this is nothing more than legend.

That rule-breaking Psi-Demon from Opponents Unlimited has two weakness. I posted one of them in the thread about Psionic Possibilities. Here's the other.
Special Requirement: To maintain his powers, Chuck Floop/Psi Demon requires a dose of the drug which first released his psi-energy, and costs are $300 per day synthesized.

Next up is Miragi from Dawn of DNA.
Special Requirement: Drug addition. You name it, she takes it. GM's option to have her freak out whenever convenient.

As someone who has never been big on GM fiats, I like the way this weaknesses gives the most even-keel among us permission to use Miragi as a plot device.

« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2009 at 12:18pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Re: Workable Weaknesses
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 4:13am
Print Post  
In the revised rules Reduced/Lowered abilities cannot be raised more than 3 points (distinguishing them from ordinarily low stats).

With that in mind, I like the backstory insight the Great Iridium Con gives us into Serena and Firefall.

Reduced Strength: - 7, maximum strength possible is 5. (Since her strength is now 3, we know the character already raised the stat 1 point.)

Lowered Intelligence: -10. Maximum intelligence attainable is 5. (His intelligence is 2, so we know he hasn't tried raising the score.)

On a related note, I like the weakness statement for the robot R.I.N.G. from Battle Above the Earth.

Mute:
Was not programmed with the ability to speak and has not bothered to do anything to about it since.
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2009 at 4:17am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2009 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
Here are three examples showing how a similarly sounding weakness can have different repercussions for different characters.

In Dawn of DNA, the villain Dr. DNA has this Weakness: Very susceptible to bright lights, 5x normal chances of blindness from light attacks, and must shy away from any bright light source.

The subterranean Slavers from This Empress Earth have this Weakness: Vulnerable to Light attacks. Slavers are blinded by light with only one roll needed to hit. Saves to recover from blindness are always 5%. Slavers take +6 damage from light blasts.

Organized Crimes presents the Black Empress.
Vulnerability: Contact with direct sunlight causes 1d20 damage per turn. The Black Empress will also be temporarily blinded for 1d6 turns unless a save vs. endurance is made on 1d100. Light control attacks do double damage, requiring the same saving throw as above when a blinding flash is used against her.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Re: Workable Weaknessess for Aquatic Creatures
Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2009 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
SuperCrooks & Criminals and Most Wanted (vol. 3) include full stats for an intelligent, giant shark named King and a legendary sea monster named Kraken.

As inherently aquatic animals, their character sheets don't bother to list water breathing as a power (it's a given). Instead, they list unique weaknesses when removed from the water.

Handicap: King has gills and will not be able to breathe air directly. If stranded on land, he will lose 4 points of power power per turn.

Vulnerability: If exposed to air for more than one hour the Kraken will become fatigued and finally die after 5 hours. Returning to sea water returns all power points on contact. Hit points are now regenerated (in game terms).
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2009 at 11:36pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Paul Sunderland
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2009 at 5:25am
Print Post  
When I read that weakness for R.I.N.G. I couldn't help but laugh.  Reminded me of a session we played WAY back, with one of the characters being mute.  After a good deal of violence (and an episode where a great many flower beds were blown up...but that's another story) the character proceeded to hold a fairly abusive phone call with the chief of police.  And I, being completely caught up in the fun of it...DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE...

Needless to say a good five to ten minutes of ranting later someone pointed out to me that the character was mute.  After we all had a good laugh I revised the entire conversation to the character tapping out morse code down the phone, and the chief of police not really understanding any of it... Shocked

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Re: Workable Weaknesses: Phobia/Psychosis & Prejudice
Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 1:29am
Print Post  
Many V&V materials state that a character has a particular phobia/psychosis, but without describing the intensity/effects in game terms. I like how the two examples below outline the repercussions of the weaknesses in concise terms.

The Secret in the Swamp.
Psychosis:
Swamp Rat believes that the entire world is a swamp. As he has never left the swamp within his memory, he will become catatonic if removed from the Everglades.

Great Iridium Con gives Albatross this Phobia/Psychosis: Acute claustrophobia. Becomes demoralized and panicky during confinement in any room less than 2 inches per side.

I interpret "demoralized" to mean that he loses morale (per rules, p. 27). Although we don't know the original cause of his fear, its consistent with his open-spaces powers of wings of weather control.

My favorite example of Prejudice goes to Sgt. Ramble from Opponents Unlimited, as his character sheet states that the weakness was an unfair side effect of his origin, and negatively effected his life even before he became a criminal.

Prejudice: The taint of the alien dimensions Ramble has traveled through has given him an aura of fear and weirdness. The sergeant has given up on joining any organization because of this defect.
Origin & Background: Caught in the path of an early design beam-weapon discharge, Army Sgt. Jim Ramble was knocked out of our dimension altogether. After an amazing series of adventures in the inexplicable spaces of the overcosm, the Sergeant returned to our Earth as a changed man. When he was refused a chance to regain his former post (he was labeled a deserter when he reappeared) the soldier regretfully turned to crime to survive.
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2009 at 1:42am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2009 at 3:07am
Print Post  
Here are a few more weaknesses that I like for creativity and game-dynamic workability.

In HONOR, the villain Komodo Dragon has halved detection rolls with sight/hearing as part of his Diminished Senses under Reptile Powers. His additional, customized weakness is Reduced Speed: Komodo Dragon has a slow movement rate, as does the real lizard. He is given half of his normal movement rate and agility.

In T.O.T.E.M., the hero Tomahawk has Special Requirement: Must be within 92 inches of ancient tomahawk or loses his powers until he possesses the artifact again.

The artifact itself is not a special weapon, it's simply the source of the hero's powers.

In Great Iridium Con,  the mystical villain Devilspawn has Special Requirement: Devilspawn's spells can only be cast at night, and most effects (except damage, devitalization, and death) will be undone at sunrise.

In Alone into the Night, the Garrote's weakness of Psychosis compels him to be a serial killer. But the psychosis also limits his Telekinesis, giving him only one-quarter TK capacity.

Since villains do villainous deeds (with or without a weakness), I like how this weakness significantly limits one of Garrote's powers.

Of all the characters battle-crazed weaknesses, you have to appreciate how From the Deeps of Space turns an advantage into a disadvantage.

The Psy extraterrestrials have this Weakness: Berserking: If hurt by an opponent in HTH, or when a fellow warrior goes down, or if insulted, Psy tend to go berserk and charge into HTH recklessly. This gives them a +1 to hit, +2 damage bonus, but attackers are also +2 to hit them. Battle-crazed Psy are not very selective about what they attack while under 'the spell' (tanks, already-dead enemies, etc.)
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2009 at 3:11am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #7 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 3:47am
Print Post  
Although I usually veer away from gimmicky weaknesses, I like the novelty of these few.

In keeping with his namesake, Antaeus has this Weakness: No Invulnerability if not in contact with the ground. (His Invulnerability power otherwise provides him with 10 points of protection.) He appears in the module Assassin.

The V.I.L.E. organization has robot with 10 Intelligence that still requires a chaperone. Limited Programming: R.A.M. is an excellent fighter, it has a hard time doing anything else. It is very poor at figuring out things and relating to living beings. Thus R.A.M. will almost never be sent on a mission alone (Opponents Unlimited).

This may be the only decidedly Bat-weakness in the published materials. Low Self-Control: Blackjack cannot resist playing a prank or joke, even if threatened by capture (Super-Crooks & Criminals).

If you need a hang-up, try out this Psychosis: White Heron craves raw frogs to eat and will try to conceal this craving from all around her (Secret in the Swamp).

REGENERATION
Characters with regeneration automatically have a built-in limitation that forces them to recover one form of damage at the normal rate. Unless you're facing a vampire, there's a pretty good chance that attack type will be fire. See for yourself.

Crossfire (Most Wanted Vol. 1): cannot regenerate fire/flame/heat damage

Samhain (Most Wanted Vol. 1): cannot regenerate flame damage

Evergreen (Crusader Citadel): unable to restore damage lost to heat/flame

Lifeguard (Most Wanted Vol. 3): cannot regenerate sonic damage

vampires (Terror by Night): cannot regenerate damage from wood and silver
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2009 at 3:52am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2012 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Here are some of my favorite weakness from the recently published V&V materials:

Mole of Into the Sub-Realm suffers from Agrophobia, which is the fear of wide open spaces. He will suffer from this unless the area is in total darkness.

Also from that adventure, Mol-TON has the version of Flame Powers the requires activation and normally includes flight. But with his Weakness: Mol-TON does not gain the ability of flight with his flame powers.

While some water-breathing villains in V&V history have Ice Powers, Elisa Fathom from Danger in the Depths #1 instead has Vulnerability: Ice attacks receive +5 to hit.
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2012 at 11:33am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #9 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 1:30am
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on Jun 2nd, 2012 at 11:32am:
Here are some of my favorite weakness from the recently published V&V materials:

Also from Into the Sub-Realm, Mol-TON has the version of Flame Powers the requires activation and normally includes flight. But with his Weakness: Mol-TON does not gain the ability of flight with his flame powers.

So would this be "Low self-control"?  Or maybe just a GM-assigned weakness?

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #10 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 1:39am
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 1:30am:
So would this be "Low self-control"?  Or maybe just a GM-assigned weakness?

A number of the published characters list Weakness without specifying the category. I agree that this sounds most like Low Self-Control. But I could see a player and GM negotiating this this same effect from several of the other weaknesses.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #11 - Jun 9th, 2012 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Another Game I enjoy is "Big Eyes, Small Mouth" (SURPRISE) and Anime-oriented RPG. It's not as good as V&V, but more people play it so... [SHRUG]
Anyway, I think the guys who wrote it probably played V&V at least once - just a gut feeling.

They have some nice weaknesses. I'll list a few here (the ones that are not basic V&V weaknesses)

Ageism: Prejudice against the character due to his her age

Attack Restriction: Limits who the character may attack

Conditional Ownership: Would relate to the character's vehicle or primary devices. Character must receive permission to use the object, or if he/she violates some clause, the object is taken away.

Cursed: Bad things keep happening to the character

Easily Distracted: kinda self explanatory

Guy/Gal Magnet: People are just REALLY attracted to the character. So much so that it impedes his heroic abilities/personal life.

Hangar Queen: Vehicle or Device is always breaking and in need of repair.

Inept in Combat: a negative "to hit" roll against all targets

Involuntary Physical Change: This always happens at the worst time...

Marked: The character has something - a mark, tattoo, physical attribute, that is almost impossible to hide

Nemesis: someone powerful is out to get the character

Owned by a Megacorp: This applies to the character directly, He/She may not act without permission. Applies to Soldiers, police, lots of androids and robots as well.

Red Tape: Character must always negotiate his/her way through complex bureaucracy in order to accomplish anything

Restricted Path: Character is stuck in one area (like a ghost haunting a house), or may not enter some areas (Vampires and Hallowed Ground)

Significant other: The character will go to any lengths to keep this person safe.

Skeleton in closet: Character has a dark secret that he/she does not want anyone to know. Of course Villains always know about these secrets...

Volatile: Normally for vehicles or devices - they tend to explode when hit. May also apply to Capt. TNT and Dr. Atomic

Wanted: the character is wanted by police, gov't, crime organization etc (ex.  Han Solo was wanted by Jabba the Hut)

They are mostly covered by the rather broad weaknesses given in the VV2 book, but the above Weaknesses are good for those times when you are a little stuck for ideas...

« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2012 at 7:24am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #12 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Our group is seriously considering revamping the entire Weaknesses list.  There's so many good ones that are missing, and yet a number of them (the reduced Basic Characteristic) can often give you such a negative that you're nearly guarateed to drop them.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #13 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Jun 9th, 2012 at 11:33am:
Cursed: Bad things keep happening to the character

If you look at the house rules section I've got a Cursed/Unlucky weakness as well, and it pretty much does the same thing.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #14 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Indeed. None of the BESM "Defects" are Astonishing - but they are fun, and about 30 years newer than V&V...

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #15 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
A lot of the suggested weaknesses could fit under an existing weakness in V&V.

Fear of someone finding out a dark secret is a Phobia.

Involuntarily changing at odd times is Low Self-Control.

Forced to handle a lot of red tape is Special Requirement.

A device/vehicle that tends to explode when hit is a Vulnerability.

A physical marking that is almost impossible to hide is Physical Handicap.

An attack restriction is a Special Requirement.

etc.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #16 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Ezzackly! I use these more as ideas for applying weaknesses. Like I said the V&V weaknesses are pretty broad, and encompass pretty much the whole shootin' match.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #17 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jun 11th, 2012 at 1:46pm:
Mark & Quote Quote
Our group is seriously considering revamping the entire Weaknesses list.  There's so many good ones that are missing, and yet a number of them (the reduced Basic Characteristic) can often give you such a negative that you're nearly guarateed to drop them.

In deconstructionalist terms, when a  comic book hero does not have a weakness, the player likely rolled a reduced/lowered basic characteristic and decided to drop the weakness because the penalty was too harsh.
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2012 at 8:52pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Galaxy Boy
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #18 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
Who gives a crap about weaknesses. Nukenin from Vigilantes International found a way to get rid of all of them and get like 20 plus powers to boot!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #19 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on Jun 11th, 2012 at 8:51pm:
Majestic wrote on Jun 11th, 2012 at 1:46pm:
Mark & Quote Quote

In deconstructionalist terms, when a  comic book hero does not have a weakness, the player likely rolled a reduced/lowered basic characteristic and decided to drop the weakness because the penalty was too harsh.

Agreed. And I still like this, which provides variety in the amount of powers people have.  Some people have 6-7 powers, while others have 3-4.

I don't think we'll get rid of the lowered Basic Characteristics.  It will probably be all done under a single weakness, though, rather than taking up five "slots" on the table.
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2012 at 4:05pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #20 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on Jun 11th, 2012 at 6:34pm:
A lot of the suggested weaknesses could fit under an existing weakness in V&V.

Fear of someone finding out a dark secret is a Phobia.

Involuntarily changing at odd times is Low Self-Control.

Forced to handle a lot of red tape is Special Requirement.

A device/vehicle that tends to explode when hit is a Vulnerability.

A physical marking that is almost impossible to hide is Physical Handicap.

An attack restriction is a Special Requirement.

etc.

Agreed, but then there's so many that aren't covered in V&V.  What is a dependent like Aunt May?  What is a dark secret/mysterious past like Spider-Woman has?  How does one signify that a person is (to use a Champions term) "Hunted" by an organization (like the Army after the Hulk)?

Those are just three really quick ones off the top of my head.  Over the years we've found many that just aren't covered very well by the existing weaknesses.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #21 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jun 12th, 2012 at 4:04pm:
Agreed, but then there's so many that aren't covered in V&V.  What is a dependent like Aunt May?  What is a dark secret/mysterious past like Spider-Woman has?  How does one signify that a person is (to use a Champions term) "Hunted" by an organization (like the Army after the Hulk)?

Those are just three really quick ones off the top of my head.  Over the years we've found many that just aren't covered very well by the existing weaknesses.

I've never felt it necessary to treat a character's relatives as weaknesses. The dynamic that a character's loved ones might be put into jeopardy is part of the role-playing.

I'm not familiar with the specifics of Spider-Woman, but a dark secret/mysterious past for some characters can be a nuance of Prejudice or Reduced Charisma.

As for Hulk being hunted, Low Self-Control rages can do that to a character....

I always liked the way the V&V avoided the "everything's a weakness" approach that some RPGs seem to take.

If forced to call them out as weaknesses, though, a dependent who is in danger or an organization that is hunting a character could each be a form of Vulnerability.
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2012 at 4:35pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #22 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Smiley I applaud the effort and loyalty to the original set of rules but I think you might be stretching it a bit Polerboy. I'm not saying I want to scrap the system altogether, but I think even Jeff saw the need to expand Weaknesses when he built Living Legends.

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #23 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Yes, I've been of the camp for decades now of just making do with what we have.

But I think a character who has absolutely no dependents (perhaps an alien who just arrived on Earth) could/would/should be roleplayed quite differently than Peter Parker (whose Aunt May is frail and has been kidnapped numerous times).

Certainly the character who had a "weakness" like the dependent I'm using in my example (Peter Parker), suffers from more of an actual detriment/hindering of their character than a recent player of mine who rolled a Reduced Endurance of 2 (which took it down to 14, I believe).

So I've been in the camp that "what we have is enough" for many years, but over time I'm shifting to thinking that there are quite a few cool weaknesses (especially ones that encourage great roleplaying) that are just simply missing from the game. Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2012 at 7:29pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #24 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
I always figured that if a player rolled a "Reduced XXXX" that was too much of a penalty, I (as the GM) would fudge it a little.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #25 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I wish they were a little lower (especially Lowered Intelligence, which is 3d6 compared to all of the "Reduced" ones at 2d6)!

I've helped seven different players roll up new characters within the last week or so, and other than the person who got really lucky and got that Reduced Endurance -2, all of the others have been forced to drop the weaknesses (and one of their powers).

Perhaps it would be more workable if it was 2d4 instead.

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #26 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
something like that. it might be as high as -5.

IP Logged

>