Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The differences between... COMICS and RPGs (Read 11921 times)
Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Re: The differences between... COMICS and RPGs
Reply #35 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
You can as a GM recommend things (Like if the PC is a Paladin and is about to do something unpaladin-like)... but the decision and the ramifications of what a PC does is wholly upon them and the game terms (A GM might not like it... but is forced to roll with it).

Let us not forget that occasionally frustrating player who does play an unheroic chara (for no apparent reason) and disrupts the game. It does happen.
Sometimes the GM has to make a call or intervene. (Though I would normally suggest calling a break and taking a moment to discuss it with the Player alone).
If it is established that your playing a four color campaign... and suddenly a Player decides he wants to turn it into a Dark Champions game... I think it is okay for the GM to make a call and likely call a halt until the issue is resolved.

BUT... we are derailing from the initial subject here.

If you want to play a "COMIC BOOK" type world of pretty colors and dynamic heroics... emulating comics the best you can is a great thing to do. YEAH... you can't emulate all the aspects of a comic.
BUT... like the points that SF and me were stating, By going over chara from comics - via certain time periods. It is possible to see a comic in V&V terms.

Now... as far as your inclusion of that stuff from Classic X-Men... Sorry... I don't count that as the period I was discussing. They are all "After Thoughts" and not all of it meshes with the storylines as it flowed in the ACTUAL comics. Some of it was so bland and boring I am surprised Claremont actually wrote it (But by this time he had lost his writing flare in my opinion) and sorry... but John Bolton's work had that washed out feel to it. Hardly matching anything from the comics at that time.
So I don't really include that stuff in my personal assesments (Though I do have virtually all of the Classic X-Men from that time - I notice they didn't include them with the Essential X-Men...) of the chara as they were at that time. So I think that both Nightcrawler and Colossus were NPC. Even with the weak solo stories - I could have readily related that stuff as background info on said chara.
Just a difference of opinion... frankly I always felt with both of those two characters backgrounds (and Banshee's, my favorite X-Man) that they should have been PC types. Unfortunately they just weren't written as UP as the other members.

Let's do the Inhumans...

I see the PCs in most of thier appearences as...
Medusa
Crystal (most definitely!)
Triton

Blackbolt, Gorgon, Karnak and Lockjaw all seemed to always fade to the background. Heck... even Quicksilver here was a NPC.

In Daredevil I saw both Black Widow and Electra as NPCs... though Daredevil was definitely a PC (and a very interesting one at that).

Captain America of course seems to be a PC no matter where he appears.
Though I thought Falcon was more a NPC during his time with the Avengers. He was certainly a PC in CA.
Same for Nomad as well.
Heck I even think that Nick Fury might have been a PC... he was just too strong of a chara not to be (Though others might disagree with me there).

Within the Guardian of the Galaxy I see these chara as the PCs

Vance Astro
Nikki
Charlie 27

I saw Martinex, Yondu and Starhawk (Stakar/Aleta) as more NPC types (in their original comic appearences - except the Defenders stuff... where everyone but Vance was NPCs). Though it is possible for Martinex to be a PC as well (and I certainly would have loved for him to stand out more).

In the Avengers "Korvac Saga" there is a possiblity that Starhawk might be a PC... though doubtful... uber cosmic types of his nature (with a Cosmic Awareness way beyond that of Cap Mar'Vell), usually seem more fitting of the NPC status.

Starhawk is another of my absolute favorite characters... actually... the team as a whole is possible my favorite team (next to the original ORIGINAL JLA, Teen Titans and Defenders - sorry old school player here!).

G7
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2009 at 5:04pm by Guardian7 »  

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #36 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
From an into-RGP persepctive, what's yer take on X-Men #141-142? This was the fateful introduction of the all-new, all-different, uncanny ... Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

Here's what I mean: The core X-Men have several levels of experience under their belts. Then strolls in 1st-level new recruit Kitty Pryde.

In those two issues, Kitty gets the thoughts/memories of her future self, which aids the team.

From an RPG perespective, what happenend?

1. The player running Kitty wasn't available that session, so the GM took control of the character, worked her as an NPC, giving her the mind/memories of her future self. In this case, the player-character earned no xp because it was the GM controlling her body with a future-mind.

2. The GM realized that 1st-level Kitty Pryde was too weak for the adventure so gave the player a future-flashback of events to come and let her operate at a much higher level during that battle. In this situation, Kitty goes back to 1st level at the end of the adventure, but she probably gets to keep the XP (or maybe half the XP) she earned while operating with future memories at an advanced level.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2009 at 5:47pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #37 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
I disagree with your assesment of Bolton's work - I think he does an awesome job, though it IS very different from the usual style (especially of that time).

As for Claremont, I think MOST of his stuff is nasty, with a huge caveat: his work with Byrne (on X-Men) is one of the best runs in comics history, IMHO.  But I think a HUGE factor in that was Byrne, as Claremont on his own is wordy, cliched, and not that great of a writer (in my view).

If I had to read "he's the best he is at what he does" or "with a speed that belied his massive bulk" another seven thousand times...    Shocked    Grin

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #38 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Sep 26th, 2009 at 5:40pm:
From an into-RGP persepctive, what's yer take on X-Men #141-142? This was the fateful introduction of the all-new, all-different children of the atom, uncanny Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

Here's what I mean: The core X-Men have several levels of experience under their belts. Then strolls in 1st-level new recruit Kitty Pryde.

In those two issues, Kitty gets the thoughts/memories of her future self, which aids the team.

From an RPG perespective, what happenend?

1. The player running Kitty wasn't available that session, so the GM took control of the character, worked her as an NPC, giving her the mind/memories of her future self. In this case, the player-character earned no xp because it was the GM controlling her body with a future-mind.

2. The GM realized that 1st-level Kitty Pryde was too weak for the adventure so gave the player a future-flashback of events to come and let her operate at a much higher level during that battle. In this situation, Kitty goes back to 1st level at the end of the adventure, but she probably gets to keep the XP (or maybe half the XP) she earned while operating with future memories at an advanced level.

Before I even read your#2 I came up with the same rationale.  But I'd let her keep full XP (as a player).

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #39 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
SF
I think Kitty/Sprite was indeed a PC (with a LARGE handout for backdrop).
So far as the XP thing would go... I am divided here. As it was her FUTURE self that controlled the body while young Kitty was in Rachel's arms in the future.
It is possible there was some transfer (as Kitty young passed Kitty adult in the time transference) of xp to young Kitty once all was said and done (though she was possibly unaware of it. She just seemed to be doing the right things after the fact better than previously... including being more confident and stable during combat - Vague I know... but with little more explaination in game terms, for me that would work best).

Maj
Well we will agree to disagree on the Bolton stuff.

Claremont - He was writing some damn fine stuff before Byrne (both of whom I have met) ever joined the staff of X-Men, with the wonderful artist Dave Cockrum (Just an amazingly nice man - RIP) doing some very fun stuff. I just believe by the time he reached issue #150 he had reached his limit (same scenario for Wolfman on Titans - who I personally told he should hand the reins to someone else cause his work was suffering - while he was signing my issue of Cyborg - LOL).

Claremont did a good job with the Paul Smith drawn stuff as well (Though I could have lived without Yukio, dispise Rogue, dislike Wolverine and hated Storm's mohawk period - I prefered her as a goddess type). Even with all my dislikes. I thought he did a great job writing it. Course I quit during the whole Maddy thing. Ugh!

I think during the days of Marvel Team-Up and Two-N-One... both the Spider Man/Thing and whatever guest star were usually PCs. Though I am sure I could break it down to a case by case based on story and character.

What about Villains as PCs?
Super-Villain Team up seemed to spotlight villains.
I could see a case of someone playing the role of villains if you bent the campaign to that angle.
Though in DC's Secret Society of the Super-Villains... Captain Comet and whatever guest stars would be the PCs and not the villains.

G7

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #40 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Since they were translated into V&V by the talented Jack Herman, let's tackle the New Teen Titans.

Definitely PCS, and Strong Ones at That:
Robin and Cyborg, plus Wonder Girl

Weaker PCS (possibly NPCs)
Changeling and Kid-Flash and and Starfire (who I didn't really like, but I won't penalize her for that).

Definite NPC
Raven. She had plot-device written all over her. One of my favorite issues was when Cyborg started reviewing old footage and noticed that her appearance had indeed changed over time. That sometimes happens w/characters, just as an artist grows into a character--but in her case it was actual evidence of her personality/magical transformation.

Terra: I see her as a player character who the GM recruited as a spy--or worked that in with the player character. It's a powerful GM device if it works.

During guest appearances, Speedy may have been a returning Player Character or an NPC.

Aqualad was handled as an NPC, perhaps even as far back as his time during the original Teen Titans. Same goes fer Lilith.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2009 at 7:15pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #41 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
On the Super Friends cartoon...

Strong PCs: Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, and Aquaman (yes, Aquaman!)

NPC: Robin. He takes few actions on his own. I wish they had given him more to do w/out Batman. (BTW: Robin from Earth 2 is the Best!)

PCs: Apache Chief and Samurai. Sure they were brought in as affirmative action recruits, but they were full characters with a lot of indeependent thinking. I'm not going to penalize them fer having tokenized names and accents.

PC: Atom. Yes! He appears only a handful of times, but gosh the guy tries hard. With him, I think the GM made sure that any mission he was part of had a chance of having something for him to do.

Twin-PCs: The Wonder Twins. And I'd see them as controlled by two player characters, since what they choose to turn into doesn't always jive.. The players get along well, though. Gleek is an NPC pet controlled by a generous GM who gives Gleek the benefit of the doubt.

Black Vulcan. Poor Black Vulcan. He was the first hero I translated for my Super Friends thread/site. He could have been a PC, but he lacked the imagination and depth of the others. Probably an NPC (against my wishes, though).

Hawk-NPCs: Hawkman (no imagination on the show). He was disappointingly a fill-in-the-blank character. Hawkgirl was definitely a NPC, controlled by an asleep-at-the-wheel GM.

Green Lantern: probably a PC, with a GM who handled his yellow-weakness inconsisntely.

Flash: his powers were all over the map on that show, making him perhaps even less playable than Superman. Probably a NPC.

Green Arrow was an NPC brought in to save the day during an amazing 1973 episdoe.

Rima (the Jungle Girl) was an NPC. And not a great one at that.

BTW: If you have a player as strong as Superman, take some advice from the Super Friends show and simply give many of the villains a type of paralysis/transmutation device that removes much of his power. It happened all the time on the show, even w/out any Kryptonite. Introducing giant monsters for Superman to tackle while everyone else does other things seemed to work too.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2009 at 8:35pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #42 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Sep 26th, 2009 at 7:12pm:
On the Super Friends cartoon...

SF, based on your moniker, this one had to come from you.    Smiley

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #43 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Star Trek: The original series!

PCs: Kirk, Spock, McCoy

PC: Yeoman Rand. Yes!!!!!!!! She's a star player on season 1. Then leaves.

PC: Sulu, 1st season. The boy is smart and clever and interesting on the 1st season. Then he turns into an NPC on seasons 2-3. Poor guy.

NPCs: Uhura and Scotty (sorry, folks--y'are just too predictable).

NPC: Nurse Chapel, largely used as a foil to McCoy and sometimes Spock.

Fer all of his personality, I think Chekov is consistenly treated as an NPC.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2009 at 8:42pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #44 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
I totally agree with your assesment of the Teen Titans (Especially the Raven and Terra stuff... good call on the Raven stuff... I am impressed).

Though I hate the thought of Kid Flash being the weaker PC... your absolutely right. But as has been stated... Flash (Barry) is my all time favorite superhero. I always wanted more from Wally in the Titans. They never truely gave us it... which is easily why he would be a weaker PC (Much like how you assessed Jan/Wasp of Avengers).

The Super Friends.

Yeah... I think you nailed it.
Did you know... when I was YOUNG... I remember watching that episode with Green Arrow... it was my first ever exposure to Super Heroes.
For years and years... I waited to see him again... I didn't til I picked up my first issue of Green Lantern/Green Arrow (I still have the issue and it is prestine!!).

I think have all of the Atom episodes on tape somewhere... though I eventually want to gain all of the DVDs.

I see you didn't mention Wendy and Marvin! LOL NPCs!

I was always disappointed by Hawkman and Hawkgirl appearences on that show... Though Hawkgirl from the Animated Justice League show... MORE than made up for the wait. She was such a total PC... she is amazing in that cartoon... I mean amazing... I mean KICK ASS COOL!. I LOVE HER!! I want to be Hawkman! LOL

I want to see you do Doom Patrol...

G7

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #45 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
The Atom episodes are available on the All-New Supe Friends Hour DVDs. Note the weakness I gave him in my write-up: www.superfriendstats.blogspot.com

Wendy and Marvin weren't worth mentioning. One of my friends suggested that I add them to my site. But they aren't worth the energy.

The updated Justice League animated series definitely treats Hawkgirl as a PC. Good fer her!

I like the original Doom Patrol but haven't read enough of their zany adventures to determine whether Chief and Beast Boy were player characters or NPCs--or assess any of the others. I have a soft spot for them as a team, even though--at least in theory.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2009 at 9:46pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #46 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
STrek: Next Generation

Player Characters: Picard, Riker, Troi, Dr. Crusher, LaForge, Worf, Data, and Yar (who dies but returns as a player character in "Yesterday's Enterprise")

Note: The GM/s treat/s LaForge's h. senses, Troi's psionics, and Data's intelligence inconsistently on the show.

NPCs: Guinan and Wesley Crusher (brought in to save the day when Data misses an intelligence save or runs out of inventing points). Wesley becomes a plot device in a few episodes, such as "Remember Me" and "First Duty." He comes in to save the day in "The Game" when everyone on board is under mind control.

Dr. Pulsaski: NPC, replacing Dr. Crusher during season 2. Pulaski is used as a foil to the others on several occasions: performs heart surgery on Picard, bonds w/Worf when he has the Klingon flu, dates Riker's dad, tells LaForge there might be a way to restore his vision...

Miles O'Brien is an NPC. So is Keiko.

Ensign Ro Laren. She is so creative and has so much energy that she has to be a PC who could only make it to a few sessions and really didn't get into Starfleet protocol.

Deep Space Nine
Player Characters: Sisko, Dr. Bashir, Major Kira, Odo, Jadzia Dax

Miles O'Brien was either a very weak PC or an NPC.
Quark was an NPC who the GM liked to use ALLL the time.

Jake Sisko was an NPC.

Nog is interesting. He started out as a lesser NPC who later became a PC.

And when Jadzia died, a new Player Character took over as Ezri Dax.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2009 at 10:42pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #47 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 1:53am
Print Post  
Not really comics... but Yeah I can see some of your points.
Though I guess there is little difference in reviewing the differences between fictional Super hero stuff or it's animated counterparts (and RPGS) and not include live action fiction as well... they still spin around the same rules that one would used to apply who is a PC and an NPC.

G7

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #48 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 1:57am
Print Post  
Guardian7 wrote on Sep 27th, 2009 at 1:53am:
Not really comics... but Yeah I can see some of your points.Though I guess there is little difference in reviewing the differences between fictional Super hero stuff or it's animated counterparts (and RPGS) and not include live action fiction as well... they still spin around the same rules that one would used to apply who is a PC and an NPC.

Yo! There have been Star Trek comics up the ying-yang by both Marvel and DC! But I've gotten my Trek-fix out of my system.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #49 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 12:12am
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Sep 27th, 2009 at 1:57am:
Guardian7 wrote on Sep 27th, 2009 at 1:53am:
Not really comics... but Yeah I can see some of your points.Though I guess there is little difference in reviewing the differences between fictional Super hero stuff or it's animated counterparts (and RPGS) and not include live action fiction as well... they still spin around the same rules that one would used to apply who is a PC and an NPC.

Yo! There have been Star Trek comics up the ying-yang by both Marvel and DC! But I've gotten my Trek-fix out of my system.

Exactly; there's even a cross-over comic that has the Original Series characters side-by-side with the X-Men!  I bought it years ago, but plan on reading it again (as my wife picked it up a week or so ago at a garage sale or second hand store).

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #50 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
just not a big Star Trek fan... but...

there is something to be said for it to be broke down after a little thought.

If you were running a SPACE V&V or a Legion type universe... it might be nice to have a established template(s) to work with in the case of Starship crews and such.
I know I did starships and their crews when PC Thunderstar pretty much went solo in the Capella Warzone. He basically found and formed a Omega Men for that area.
I'll have to find time to look up all the alien races I made up for the Capella arena (Based on the Mods descriptions or pics) and show you what I thought the various alien races looked like (including their city styles and ship frameworks).

So what about stuff like...
Turok Son of Stone?
Turok was the solo PC and Andre was his NPC sidekick that tended to get pinned in trees by Triceratops and T-Rexs?

How about the various eras of the JSA? or the JLA?

G7

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #51 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Guardian7 wrote on Sep 28th, 2009 at 4:00pm:
How about the various eras of the JSA? or the JLA?

During the classic-Satellite years, I'd peg the original seven as PCs.

Snapper Carr was an NPC.

As new members came into the fold, Green Arrow and Atom were definitely PCs. Hawkman as well. Same goes for Black Canary and Zatanna.

Elongated Man (who I don't care for) and Red Tornado (who I like) would be my biggest pics for NPCs, based on the way I remember tham being handled during the series at that time.

It's hard to say with the JSA because they played like NPCs during many of the crossover stories. The biggest exceptions being Earth 2 Superman (a great character) and Flash. Within their own series, though, the JSA team is full of strong NPCs in game terms, including Huntress, Star Spangled Kid, Wildcat, and Robin, just to name a few.
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2009 at 4:32pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #52 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Well during the Sattilight years...
I saw Aquaman as an NPC... same for Martian Manhunter for most of his appearences.

Wonder Woman seemed to degenerate back and forth.

Superman and Batman were ALWAYS PCs in it.

I'd say that other stand out PCs were:

Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman (partial)
Green Arrow
Black Canary
Hawkman
Hawkgirl (who seemed to be constantly fighting for membership)
Red Tornado (Especially during the Cathy Sutton/Traya stuff)
Zatanna
Firestorm

I didn't see Atom as a PC (Maybe in backup features or during his run on the Super-Team Family)... but not in the League.

I wished they had done more with Elongated Man (who is one of my favorites)... but he was a NPC as well.

These are my picks for NPCs:

Flash (he shouldn't have been)
Wonder Woman (Partial)
Green Lantern
Aquaman
Martian Manhunter
Atom
Phantom Stranger
Elongated Man
Adam Strange
Sandman
John Stewart

The last three were members (Possibly reserve)... including P.Stranger.

G7

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #53 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
I never felt any writer ever got  the Martian Manhunter.  I almost feel that he had to die, as he was just a concept, never fleshed out.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #54 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Black Lightning and Metamorpho were PCs who just didn't dig the league. Creeper was an NPC.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #55 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Creeper is another one that no one has found his voice yet.

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #56 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Off topic: Wouldn't Creeper make a great Halloween costume?! No one would get it, but still...
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2009 at 9:13pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #57 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Sep 28th, 2009 at 9:12pm:
Off topic: Wouldn't Creeper make a great Halloween costume?! No one would get it, but still...

I have the action figure on my shelf, and it is a bit disburbing.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #58 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
In relation to the IP:

"The problem with adapting comic books to role-playing is that comics are very inconsistent. Things work differently from comic to comic, even with the same characters. There are just too many writers working on the same things for there to be any sort of standardization."
-Jeff Dee

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #59 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Sep 28th, 2009 at 9:14pm:
SuperFriend wrote on Sep 28th, 2009 at 9:12pm:

I have the action figure on my shelf, and it is a bit disburbing.

I have the Creeper figure from the Batman the Animated Series figures. They did a nice job.

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #60 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Creeper was done nicely in the 70s early 80s... especially the Brave and Bold issues.
I think he was a PC in those.

I was always disappointed that Giffen didn't do the work he wanted to with the Creeper. Seeing as he is his all time favorite character (Yeah I know he did a few things).

Speaking of Giffen... let's tackle the tough one... THE LEGION!

PCs
Cosmic Boy
Saturn Girl
Mon'El
Brainaic 5
Superboy (sort of)
Timber Wolf
Invisable Kid1
Invisable Kid2
Blok
Element Lad
Supergirl (who shined in the Legion)
Chameleon Boy

NPCs
Lightning Lad
Karate Kid (In his own comic he was the PC)
Princess Projecta
Light/Lightning Lass
Ultra Boy
Phantom Girl (Not in the L.E.G.I.O.N.)
White Witch
Dawnstar
Wildfire
Shadow Lass
Dream Girl
Star Boy
Shirinking Violet
Colossal Boy
Bouncing Boy
Duo Damsel (Tripilcate Girl)
Matter Eater Lad
Chemical King
Tyroc
Ferro Lad
Sun Boy
Psycho Lad or boy... whatever.

I didn't include most of the ones after Legion 320

Of the Subsititutes I'd say the only one that was a PC was Polar Boy (Possible case for Stone Boy).

Fun!

G7

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #61 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Guardian7 wrote on Sep 28th, 2009 at 9:55pm:
Of the Subsititutes I'd say the only one that was a PC was Polar Boy

i'll second that.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #62 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 3:00am
Print Post  
Guardian7 wrote on Sep 26th, 2009 at 8:55pm:
I see you didn't mention Wendy and Marvin! LOL NPCs!

"Wonder-Twin powers, ACTIVATE!"    Grin

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #63 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 3:03am
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Sep 26th, 2009 at 10:40pm:
STrek: Next Generation

Miles O'Brien was either a very weak PC or an NPC.
Quark was an NPC who the GM liked to use ALLL the time.

I totally disagree with you on these two.  Both are PCs in my book (though I would admit that O'Brien's player didn't always show up to play); Quark's player attended every session, but almost always had to leave early, so he hardly ever went on the missions.    Grin
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2009 at 3:08am by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #64 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 7:35am
Print Post  
Batman and the Outsiders

Batman again falls into PC mode (Though in weak form - He was stronger in the League).

Katana is the other PC in the game. Just  her strong vocal presence made her a decent enough PC. Her only problem was she lacked much of a revolving background so she was a pretty flat chara.

Possible PC case for Metamorpho here. Though there were plenty of times of him being background fodder. Iffy on this one.

Geoforce is iffy as well. I honestly think what makes him a PC here is his cool background plus his attachment to his missing sister (Which could be some sort of weakness). I think he is less iffy than Metamorpho.

The rest were such NPCs to me.

Halo... even exploring the background I found her devoid of much and frankly the pure/innocent/blink blink blink schtick got old really fast.

Black Lightning... Unfortunately NPC. I am sorry but he has never been that interesting. Ragman is more interesting than he is... though I have always thought his look was pretty kick-ass!

Looker... NPC... though a fun one.

Aerial... I so dispised this chara...

I was always disappointed they didn't bring Green Arrow and Black Canary into this team.

Babs/Batgirl as well.

and finally... the Creeper would have made an AWESOME addition to the team. They could have bumped Halo, Metamorpho, Looker and Aerial for that one chara.

I wouldn't have minded seeing a frequent appearence of Etrigon.

G7

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #65 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Oct 4th, 2009 at 3:03am:
I totally disagree with you on these two.Both are PCs in my book (though I would admit that O'Brien's player didn't always show up to play); Quark's player attended every session, but almost always had to leave early, so he hardly ever went on the missions. 

Y'know what? I completely get what you're saying. Miles O'Brien was a PC--just a little more mild that the others. And Quark did act like a PC, especially as the series developed.

On further thought, I also agree with others' comments that Martian Manhunter was often treated like an NPC in the JLA--even though he could have been a strong character.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

>